AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Toni/AZM killed it. Shane Taylor has been impressing me greatly. He's had some great matches and I'm enjoying his partnership with Moriarty. I don't know anything about Ogogo besides that he was in a horrible feud with Cody before I started watching.

KOR/Roddy will be excellent. Idk if it'll be a featured match on weekly TV or on Dynasty, but I'm excited nevertheless. Roddy plays the jilted ex-lover really well. Kyle's not really sold me on being a face yet and he's kind of dog wank on the mic, but he just got back so I'll give him a chance. Hopefully it goes better than his post-Balor NXT run.

FTR/Bucks 4 being a ladder match only makes it clearer that Jack Perry is gonna cost FTR the belts. It'll probably be the least impressive of their 4 matches, but hopefully the big moment at the end makes it worth it.

I am dying for my multi-room DVR to come in. I keep forgetting to DVR the damn shows!

Reactions: Grackle Party

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I mean it is probably slight hyperbole. It is the hottest WWE has been in 20 years....but the general point is true no? How is it coping to say that WWE getting extremely hot is going to have a negative effect on AEW. That just seems like a fact lol

When we had the Monday night wars, it seems like both sides feed off of the other side doing better. And this was going head to head.

While I think their is many issues why you can point to low ratings/attendance, I would argue both the WWe(6) and AEW(5) diluting the wrestling market with I believe 11 hours of TV is one of them. AEW should look into changing that Friday slot to either a All Woman's show or ROH show(and get a 3rd party person to run it so that is one less thing Tony has to worry about), at least in those cases it might give one a reason to feel like they might be getting something slightly different watching that hour, until then it's AEW's least import hour of TV.

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
AEW is going through a down period (which happens in sports and wrestling) especially when WWE is doing well. I feel like they will get through this but I also realize they are still in their start up phase. The next TV contract could get them to the next phase or bury them. Will be interesting to see - I prefer to support AEW because I just don't trust WWE/UFC/TKO to do anything sustaining even without vince. I also don't like how Tony is getting sucked into "in order to be up there with WWE I need to be like WWE" that all promoters get sucked into. Presenting wrestling with sound, straightforward feuds/storylines and getting away from listening to the opinions of people who have failed is the way they should go.

I'd love for ROH to replace Rampage, which is bascially Sunday Night Heat, it would also get the ROH belts away from AEW TV for the most part, but I think Turner has no interest in a ROH or it would be on TV already.
I think they will be doing some consolidation of shows in the next tv contract.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Rampage is more for the live audience at this point. Every time I've been, and I think I'm up to 5 shows at this point, they always have a great match to end the night when they are taping Rampage. The main event on Wednesday night during the tapings is not necessarily the televised main event on Friday either.

I've recorded all AEW shows since day 1 but haven't watched a Rampage all the way through in probably 2 years.

Reactions: CDJ and SnS

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Rampage has found a good niche. A lot of times if they bring in talent from other companies, they'll give them matches there and they're usually really good. Mistico debuted there, a lot of CMLL guys wrestled on the show during their little stint a couple months ago. NJPW had some of their B and C level talent on there a lot during the build to Forbidden Door (Douki/Jack Perry was a banger). It's for the hardcore of hardcore AEW and wrestling fans. I usually don't watch it because I cap out at 2 wrestling shows a week and 10 PM is too late of a start time but it has its role.

Reactions: SnS

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Rampage has found a good niche. A lot of times if they bring in talent from other companies, they'll give them matches there and they're usually really good. Mistico debuted there, a lot of CMLL guys wrestled on the show during their little stint a couple months ago. NJPW had some of their B and C level talent on there a lot during the build to Forbidden Door (Douki/Jack Perry was a banger). It's for the hardcore of hardcore AEW and wrestling fans. I usually don't watch it because I cap out at 2 wrestling shows a week and 10 PM is too late of a start time but it has its role.
Any time I've watched it, it always seems like a throw away show. Just matches for the sake of having matches. Everything thrown together with no care, almost like they just take whoever is leftover backstage on Wednesday night and send them out there for 15 minutes. It makes for a fun live experience, but doesn't add anything to their overall product.

Reactions: CDJ

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Any time I've watched it, it always seems like a throw away show. Just matches for the sake of having matches. Everything thrown together with no care, almost like they just take whoever is leftover backstage on Wednesday night and send them out there for 15 minutes. It makes for a fun live experience, but doesn't add anything to their overall product.

It's a difficult show to book because they know the wider audience doesn't watch it, so you don't really want to have actual story progress happen there, but you still habe that TV hour and need to book something.

Idk if it should solely be ROH, but I do feel like more ROH crossover should happen there as it still draws more viewers then what ROH currently does and the folks there deserve some TV time as they are doing some good work.

Reactions: CDJ and TD Charlie

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

That's basically 90% of AEWs product.

Khan books his live TV like he's booking some independent promotion only doing live events going from one town to the next.

Someone needs to inform him he's in the #$%^& TV business. This is serialized drama basically. What makes people want to tune in one week and actually consider taking time to watch again next week and the week after that, and the week after that, is strong characters and strong storylines. Not random match-ups of the same flippity-floppity dangerous spot crap AEW tries to sell audiences on a weekly basis. Catering to that 0.0001% of the pro wrestling audience that need their weekly fix of blood and guts.

He doesn't know how to book pro wrestling. He doesn't know how to manage a company or people. He doesn't know how to run a business. I'd love to see what he's shelled out licensing popular songs for theme music. Millions paid out and what's the return on that investment? Basically nothing. Not one song he's ever licensed has ever gotten anyone over. Instead of paying someone to compose your theme music so now you own the license and can sell it and use it whenever you want. This is Business 101 level stuff here and yet Khan doesn't even grasp those concepts.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Does it really though? Once you get past 3 hours, it really starts draining on you

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Does it really though? Once you get past 3 hours, it really starts draining on you
Dynamite starts at 8, Rampage starts shortly after 10 at this point. It's about 3.5 hours, and if the last match of the night is a fun one then yeah it's totally fine.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Mercedes is gonna talk again tomorrow. Maybe one day she’ll get booked in a match
I talked up her acquisition but it’s been a total dud. Might’ve been better off paying Cargill what Mercedes got (idk I assume Mercedes is making more)

Reactions: Fro

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'd love to see what he's shelled out licensing popular songs for theme music. Millions paid out and what's the return on that investment? Basically nothing. Not one song he's ever licensed has ever gotten anyone over. Instead of paying someone to compose your theme music so now you own the license and can sell it and use it whenever you want. This is Business 101 level stuff here and yet Khan doesn't even grasp those concepts.

I slightly disagree with this. Jungle Boy was only over because of his theme.

Moxley doesn't need Wild Thing though, his old theme was better. The Elite didn't need Carry on My Wayward Son either.

Reactions: BruinDust and CDJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I talked up her acquisition but it’s been a total dud. Might’ve been better off paying Cargill what Mercedes got (idk I assume Mercedes is making more)
Jade was never staying

Reactions: CDJ

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I slightly disagree with this. Jungle Boy was only over because of his theme.

Moxley doesn't need Wild Thing though, his old theme was better. The Elite didn't need Carry on My Wayward Son either.

Didn't he say he spent roughly a year's pay for a wrestler to use Give me back my bullets, for Mark Briscoe at the last ROH ppv?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I guess I fall back on the fact she knows how to turn it on...but why do it all then if she won't have a match for 2 months...just poor planning

She has to still be hurt, I can't fathom them booking this way thinking its a good idea.

And I do agree she can heat back up. It's hard not seeing a feud with Hayter hitting, but just a bizarre start

Reactions: Fro and yahhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad