AEW All Elite Wrestling #9: Mox Aggressor Brings the Blood

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Toni Storm vs. Mina Shirakawa will be appointment viewing. Winner gets to make out with Mariah May.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Well just stating the obvious but, Claudio is in same stable as Danielson...its a good match to take...

Ok, that at least makes some sense then, but why not mention it then, you can say he is going to eliminate Danielson's allies

Toni Storm vs. Mina Shirakawa will be appointment viewing. Winner gets to make out with Mariah May.

Did AEW hire Russo? Tune in next Wednesday for some HLA!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Fan Video's are getting DMCA'd by AEW as well it seems.

Could it get any worse?

Looks like AEW may have broken UK Privacy Laws as well.

They kept it out of their official video of the segment too. Either they are trying very hard to distance themselves or someone in legal alerted them that they might have left themselves open to litigation.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ok, that at least makes some sense then, but why not mention it then, you can say he is going to eliminate Danielson's allies

Did AEW hire Russo? Tune in next Wednesday for some HLA!
HLA was a Vince McMahon thing.

Their gimmick in Stardom is basically that they partied all the time and had sexcapades with each other

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I just want to be entertained. Flippity-floppity spot fests with no build, no character development, no story, no real reason to watch other than "I like Rasslin Matches'" don't do it for me.

I've given AEW all the opportunities in the world to grab me as a viewer. They just never give me a reason to want to tune in each week or to buy their PPVs. I missed the opening match with Penta and Edge this week. For some reason they went out and did a 30 minute banger with no build-up or anything. No worries, two other performers will do the exact same type of match next week. And again at the PPV.

Want to see blood? Happens every single week on AEW. Never seems to mean anything though.

Khan has no idea how to promote wrestling or produce a live TV show. Zero management skills clearly and books his company like a kid playing GM mode in a wrestling video game.

I don't want WWE-lite, nor do I want the random match-up spot-fest hardcore cluster&^% that Khan offers up each week. I'd like to see AEW succeed because pro wrestling is better with legitimate competition. Sadly at the rate this is going, does AEW even make it through the year? Paying out huge salaries now to Ospreay, Mone and Okada while doing 3000 tickets for live TV. I guess Punk was right, AEW isn't a real business. Just some rich kids love letter to what he thinks is appealing in pro wrestling, when in reality he's just catering to a very small niche audience.

The real questions now are when does Papa Khan cut off the funding? And how much does Triple H pay for the AEW/ROH tape library?

This is pretty inaccurate in 2024 though, AEW has significantly more grounded talent. For me I need a balance between both, but when I'm tuning in on Mondays to 66% segments of mediocre talent struging to deliver scripted lines, it doesn't scratch any kind of itch for me, particularly when I already know the matches are destined to be mediocre(being generous) far more often than not.

At the very least I can count on watching an Omega, a Danielson, an Ospreay, an Okada...a Jay White...Swerve Strickland....guys who are pretty much a given to me a quality match, so while I do think the storytelling could get significantly better, it's still far more compelling than the WWE which feels like a watered down childrens soap opera to me today.

I did enjoy seeing The Rock back, but truth be told I find it incredibly difficult to get invested in just about everyone on their main roster who is a full timer at this point, pretty much all of their top talent is approaching or already well over 40. I'll be checking out again until something else catches my eye, and that'll likely be another 50 something part time returning for a couple of months sadly.

As for the last bit, I wouldn't count on it "Papa Khan's" Networth went up significantly in 2023, Hunter is just a recognizeable face for TKO to roll out there.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
One thing I didn't think about the PPV schedule until now is that Arthur Ashe is not hosting a PPV. There was some chatter about using the venue for a PPV and maybe not having Grand Slam. Seems the PPV part is not happening so maybe Grand Slam will occur again. They're probably better off using it as PPV venue than a Dynamite but ultimately the ticket prices may impact the number of butts in the seats or at least the advance sales.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
One thing I didn't think about the PPV schedule until now is that Arthur Ashe is not hosting a PPV. There was some chatter about using the venue for a PPV and maybe not having Grand Slam. Seems the PPV part is not happening so maybe Grand Slam will occur again. They're probably better off using it as PPV venue than a Dynamite but ultimately the ticket prices may impact the number of butts in the seats or at least the advance sales.

Plan was for Forbidden Door to be held at Ashe.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I find a lot of criticism(like the post you quoted) clearly don't actually pay attention to the product, they merely read other complaints and echo them.

A lot of us have given up on the product due to lack of direction, or nonsensical booking, I did watch almost every week for a few years, then a little less, and a little less, and may just throw in the towel at this point. I didn't read another complaint, I read the actual tweet from the company owner, who made no mention of it, and I had forgotten that Danielson and Ospreay are even in a feud or at least a future match.

All I hear is how Ospreay is the greatest in the world, yet he comes in and has back and forth long matches with guys in his own stable, Takeshita is a talent, and they have treated him fairly well so that is fine, but why is he spending so much time with Fletcher, a midcard guy from your minor league? And then there is Hobbs, who I like, but nobody knows what the hell they are doing with him from one week to the next. Show that he is the greatest by having him go out and dominate guys, all they have done is show that he can trade moves back and forth with one guy who has kind of been an upper card guy and two midcard guys, which yeah I can see he is great at what he does, but we see guys every week have 20 minute back and forth matches, what makes him any better than those other guys?

You complain about how bad the mediocre talents reading bad scripted promos are on Raw/Smackdown, and I would counter that those are still better than the unscripted messes that many of the promos turn out to be on Dynamite, the Copeland/Kingston/Stokely/Willow cluster would have been cringey if it happened in front of 300 people at a local high school, much less on national tv. Copeland didn't even know what to refer to his group as. I tapped out after the jobbers beat Jericho/Hook/Shibata, so if anything important happened after that, I missed it

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
A lot of us have given up on the product due to lack of direction, or nonsensical booking, I did watch almost every week for a few years, then a little less, and a little less, and may just throw in the towel at this point. I didn't read another complaint, I read the actual tweet from the company owner, who made no mention of it, and I had forgotten that Danielson and Ospreay are even in a feud or at least a future match.

All I hear is how Ospreay is the greatest in the world, yet he comes in and has back and forth long matches with guys in his own stable, Takeshita is a talent, and they have treated him fairly well so that is fine, but why is he spending so much time with Fletcher, a midcard guy from your minor league? And then there is Hobbs, who I like, but nobody knows what the hell they are doing with him from one week to the next. Show that he is the greatest by having him go out and dominate guys, all they have done is show that he can trade moves back and forth with one guy who has kind of been an upper card guy and two midcard guys, which yeah I can see he is great at what he does, but we see guys every week have 20 minute back and forth matches, what makes him any better than those other guys?

You complain about how bad the mediocre talents reading bad scripted promos are on Raw/Smackdown, and I would counter that those are still better than the unscripted messes that many of the promos turn out to be on Dynamite, the Copeland/Kingston/Stokely/Willow cluster would have been cringey if it happened in front of 300 people at a local high school, much less on national tv. Copeland didn't even know what to refer to his group as. I tapped out after the jobbers beat Jericho/Hook/Shibata, so if anything important happened after that, I missed it

That's the thing though, the main storyline for WWE made zero sense leading up to Mania, it wss moronic...but people tuned in as The Rock was involved.

Hobbs is a charisma vacuum, I love his look, his promos are okay, but he is what he is, a solid mid card talent that be slotted into the Main Event scene for short periods of time. Fletcher is a young prospect who he has significant history with in New Japan, he's somebody who Tony views as a future important talent for the company moving forward. Ospreay isn't Bill Goldberg, and he shouldn't be booked like him, he's the best in ring talent on the planet and he should be utilized to put on bangers and elevate talent he's working with.

There's nothing currently on either show as cringey as Maxinne(sp?) who for some reason they continued to give time to weekly despite her being absolutely horrendous and completely lacking any type of charisma while they try to force her into a comedy role.

Then you have the lame ass booking of Sami...dude eating L's to jobbers only to end the dominant reign of a guy who actually deserved to be world champion unlike that plug Priest..."da underdog story...." Christ, you can count on one hand how many hours of RAW I've watched this year yet I knew who was winning every single match, and to top it off...most of them were extremely mediocre in quality and others just plain awful(Uso match, Kross match).

I just feel like the WWE insults your intelligence significantly more as a fan, but less people are inclined to speak out about it because Dwayne, Taker are involved...so who gives a shit if it's stupid as f*** and doesn't make a modicum of sense, right?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Forbidden door got moved out of Arther Ash because New Japan is allegedly broke
My reaction when EVIL came out post main event: : r/njpw

• Haha
Reactions: sabremike and CDJ

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Takeshita is a talent, and they have treated him fairly well so that is fine, but why is he spending so much time with Fletcher, a midcard guy from your minor league?
You know how it was suggested that a lot of criticism of AEW's booking came from people who don't really pay attention?

This is what they had in mind.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don’t think AEW has ever had a major signing flop in the initial run as much as Mercedes has seemingly flopped. Everything with her right now is just full on a channel changer for me. Mariah Mays match is getting more views then Mercedes segment lol which I mean is good in a sense as I think Mariah might actually be the future of that division…but really bad in that Mercedes was supposed to elevate the division on her own lol

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I don’t think AEW has ever had a major signing flop in the initial run as much as Mercedes has seemingly flopped. Everything with her right now is just full on a channel changer for me. Mariah Mays match is getting more views then Mercedes segment lol which I mean is good in a sense as I think Mariah might actually be the future of that division…but really bad in that Mercedes was supposed to elevate the division on her own lol

Does she have a match scheduled yet? Is she still injured?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I have yet to see one person in the industry think this was a good idea, the closest thing I’ve heard to a positive reaction is Lance Storm saying it wasn’t as bad of a segment as he thought it would be. Talk about damning with faint praise!

People gonna talk about that episode in 20 years, it’s just gonna be in the same way that they talk about the finger poke of doom and the TNA barbed wire Christmas tree match featuring Redrum (“it’s Murder spelled backwards!” Tenay shouts from a distance)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad