Proposal: All Bruins trade rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I think Don is waiting to see if Sakic will blink the closer we get to the deadline. He must have a deal with him that doesn't include Carlo but is likely still as competitive a package as other teams are proposing.
That could be accurate. There are several teams that covet Landeskog but, either are too close to the cap or don't have what Sakic is looking for.

Of course, Sakic can always wait 'till after the season to move Landy when the cap situation is clearer.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Love how everybody thinks Zboril isn't a top prospect anymore. He's having a monster year in the Q and is getting better.

He is a legit top prospect. So for anyone who says Colorado wouldn't do a Zboril + 1st, + Beleskey for Landeskog are being foolish.

Basically this would work out to 2 firsts + Beleskey who plays LW and would continue to do so in Colorado.

Sure Sakic wants Carlo or McAvoy but he isn't getting either. He's probably scouting JFK/Donato to add to a trade.

Would you do Zboril + JFK or Donato + Beleskey + 1st

for

Landeskog

Kind of an out-of-sight, out-of-mind type of thing. A lot of us don't get much exposure to junior hockey, unfortunately. I wish we did, cuz it sounds great from those who do get to see it.

We do see some college games, so those players may get discussed a bit more.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Kind of my point, I expect Carlo to be good, Wesley and McLaren never became great, they were steady second pairing guys for years, which is fine and a steal for a second round pick. But if there is an impact, young, 25+ goal scoring power forward with intangibles available at the cost of a 15 year second pair D I make that trade.

I think most people would agree with that in principal. But then you factor in that the Bruins currently have 5 over $5.5M forwards already (or going to be signed) for many years, the lack of established younger D players to replace the old, and the contract putting the team up against the wall... well, that changes everything for me.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
People should educate themselves with the Belesky contract. Look at what he makes and compare it other players making roughly the same amount. A 3.8mil cap hit for a 30-40 point guy who was signed as a UFA isn't out of the norm.

Was it a smart move by Sweeney, that's an entirely different story.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
People should educate themselves with the Belesky contract. Look at what he makes and compare it other players making roughly the same amount. A 3.8mil cap hit for a 30-40 point guy who was signed as a UFA isn't out of the norm.

Was it a smart move by Sweeney, that's an entirely different story

Exactly. As someone posted previously, "Smart" and "Free Agent" should rarely collide in the same sentence.

Which is why I cringe when people post ideas about trading someone like Carlo, and then JUST replace him with a free agent in the off-season.

Preposterous.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think most people would agree with that in principal. But then you factor in that the Bruins currently have 5 over $5.5M forwards already (or going to be signed) for many years, the lack of established younger D players to replace the old, and the contract putting the team up against the wall... well, that changes everything for me.

Exactly, which makes even more important to keep your costs down elsewhere, which magnifies the importance of retaining those 3 cheap young RD in Carlo, Colin, and McAvoy.

Then factor in a potential Spooner raise this year, Belesky's contract being here, and a Vatrano raise next year. (Assuming all are still here)

Toss in the deals for Krug and Rask still being here (fairly safe bet).

Your looking at approx. 60 million tied up in 9 forwards, 1 D, and a goaltender, and still needing 4 forwards, 6 D, and a back-up. So your looking at about 12-14 million for 11 players. Good luck.

Something would have to give. If anything, a Landeskog acquisition without money moving out prevents Boston from any other significant acquisition, regardless of how bad the D is.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Love how everybody thinks Zboril isn't a top prospect anymore. He's having a monster year in the Q and is getting better.

He is a legit top prospect. So for anyone who says Colorado wouldn't do a Zboril + 1st, + Beleskey for Landeskog are being foolish.

Basically this would work out to 2 firsts + Beleskey who plays LW and would continue to do so in Colorado.

Sure Sakic wants Carlo or McAvoy but he isn't getting either. He's probably scouting JFK/Donato to add to a trade.

for

Landeskog

adding Zboril to the proposal isn`t a shot at him or his skill, it`s actually a compliment that he`s a guy another team would be happy to have included in a deal

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Was it a smart move by Sweeney, that's an entirely different story.

In a vacuum it wasn't a bad contract. But the fact they signed David Backes the very next summer tells you either they didn't get what they expected from Beleskey, they didn't plan properly, or they have an unusual love affair with big, slow guys who will kill their cap situation before their contract is done.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Exactly, which makes even more important to keep your costs down elsewhere, which magnifies the importance of retaining those 3 cheap young RD in Carlo, Colin, and McAvoy.

Then factor in a potential Spooner raise this year, Belesky's contract being here, and a Vatrano raise next year. (Assuming all are still here)

Toss in the deals for Krug and Rask still being here (fairly safe bet).

Your looking at approx. 60 million tied up in 9 forwards, 1 D, and a goaltender, and still needing 4 forwards, 6 D, and a back-up. So your looking at about 12-14 million for 11 players. Good luck.

Something would have to give. If anything, a Landeskog acquisition without money moving out prevents Boston from any other significant acquisition, regardless of how bad the D is.

As well, while it might be doable, it FORCES them to make roster decisions based on money alone. Perhaps stonewalling Pastrnak, letting Spooner go. Adding a prospect to Beleskey and Hayes to get them off their hands, maybe trading Krejci or Backes, and replacing each and every one of the bottom 6 and bottom 2 with ELC's.

Which is all stuff that happens if you are a legit cup contender, but without the proper D established, is not going to happen

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

for

Landeskog
I think the Bruins do it, Zboril + JFK + Gabrielle + Beleskey + 1st.

It would stink losing JFK, who is arguably the 2nd best Bruins' prospect behind McAvoy, but the Bruins have Frederic, Donato, Spooner, and Landeskog who can play center. Bergeron and Krejci are probably not going anywhere any time soon as well. The Bruins will still have plenty of LWs in DeBrusk, Heinen, Vatrano, Bjork, Cehlarik, and Landeskog if they move Gabrielle. Losing Zboril will hurt the most in my opinion because of the lack of certainty of LDs on the Bruins down the line when Chara retires, but you have to give to get.

Before we say there is no chance of this happening, we have to look at a few things: Colorado's current prospect pool, Colorado's needs, and what Colorado may get in return for Duchene.

If these two teams do make this deal, Colorado refills their prospect pool and get a LD prospect with potential which was what they were originally looking for in a return for either Landeskog or Duchene. With teams like Carolina being rumored to want to trade for Duchene and names like Faulk being thrown around for Duchene, in my opinion, it makes the proposed Landeskog deal more likely to happen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As well, while it might be doable, it FORCES them to make roster decisions based on money alone. Perhaps stonewalling Pastrnak, letting Spooner go. Adding a prospect to Beleskey and Hayes to get them off their hands, maybe trading Krejci or Backes, and replacing each and every one of the bottom 6 and bottom 2 with ELC's.

Which is all stuff that happens if you are a legit cup contender, but without the proper D established, is not going to happen

Yes, there will be a forced chain-reaction to be able to remain cap compliant moving forward. Often when there is money forcing moves, the team with the cap-problems comes out at the short end of the stick.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
In a vacuum it wasn't a bad contract. But the fact they signed David Backes the very next summer tells you either they didn't get what they expected from Beleskey, they didn't plan properly, or they have an unusual love affair with big, slow guys who will kill their cap situation before their contract is done.

Belesky to me was to make up for some of the grit they lost when they dealt Lucic. The Backes signing to me screamed leadership.

As a whole, I don't think the Bruin front office is all that great at thinking big picture. It's like every move they make is it's own unique entity, completely separate from everything else.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
IMO if Sakic deals Lando to the Bruins and doesn't come back with Carlo he looks like a fool. Someone else will give their best prospect for him. Bergevin will deal Sergachev I'm betting.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
IMO if Sakic deals Lando to the Bruins and doesn't come back with Carlo or McAvoy he looks like a fool. Someone else will give their best prospect for him. Bergevin will deal Sergachev I'm betting.

Updated it for you. I can't see him making that deal if one of those two aren't part of it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
IMO if Sakic deals Lando to the Bruins and doesn't come back with Carlo he looks like a fool. Someone else will give their best prospect for him. Bergevin will deal Sergachev I'm betting.

Maybe, although at his presser he just said if a team asks for his best prospect it is about a 20 second conversation, not happening.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm also assuming Sergachev is his best prospect.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

From his presser, I wouldn't bet to much if I were you lol

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Belesky to me was to make up for some of the grit they lost when they dealt Lucic. The Backes signing to me screamed leadership.

As a whole, I don't think the Bruin front office is all that great at thinking big picture. It's like every move they make is it's own unique entity, completely separate from everything else.

Exactly. There's no plan, there's just shoot and react. Or in most cases, sit around and do nothing, then when that fails, do something ill-advised, then wait for the blowback, and react.

Sad though that we had to add Backes for "leadership". Chara, Bergeron, Krejci in that room and they felt they had to add a guy with a ton of mileage for a deal 1 year longer and $1m more than he was worth just to add more leadership. That deal is bad now and this was supposed to be one of the few years the deal made sense. But alas, when you don't have a plan except fail-react, it's hard to make good decisions.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

And the Bruins may be trying to convince Sakic that they won't deal Carlo in order to get Sakic to lower his "additional" requests. This would allow the Bruins to get this trade closer to a straight up deal. And a straight up deal is one I think Boston has to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad