Proposal: All Bruins trade rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Well you already have that scenario. You don't think Vatrano will score at least 20 goals a season on a consistent basis?

Only if he is a third-liner having better players in the top six take the tougher opponents. We've seen him in the top six. He is a third line winger who can net 15-20 provided he gets PP time.

He's Chuck Kobasew.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Has Carlo not been a top 2 Defenceman for the Bruins all this season.?

On a playoff DNQ team with a Norris winning defenseman/captain and both have shown clear CLEAR signs of fatigue and being outplayed in 2017 by opponents. So yeah, a top pairing over his head getting outplayed and losing games while struggling as all rookie defensmen (sophomore even more so) do.

He is a top pairing on a bad team and a second pairing on a playoff team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Only if he is a third-liner having better players in the top six take the tougher opponents. We've seen him in the top six. He is a third line winger who can net 15-20 provided he gets PP time.

He's Chuck Kobasew.

Vatrano is Kobasew now?

That's bad CP.

You make it sound like on the 3rd line somehow Vatrano spend his entire game going up against weak lines and 3rd pairings, which isn't the case, especially on the road.

Vatrano has more scoring touch in his left pinky than Kobasew had in his entire body.

Well I don't expect Vatrano to score 20 + without PP time, Gabriel Landeskog isn't sniffing 20 either without PP time as well.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
yep

Carlo isn`t going to be a top 2-4 guy

Landeskog is bound for HOF

:sarcasm::popcorn:

In all seriousness, nothing

Love it!

Now imagine how happy we ALL would be if Landeskog is a Bruin and McAvoy and Carlo are as well after a trade?!

We'd all get to nitpick them both and point out that we were right on the same team no less!

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.

He's Chuck Kobasew.

Unlike Chuck Kobasew who was drafted in the first round at 14th overall, Vatrano was a free asset and cost the Bruins nothing as he was undrafted.

Vatrano will be a perfect complimentary piece who can slide up into the top 6 if needed and play pp time.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
On a playoff DNQ team with a Norris winning defenseman/captain and both have shown clear CLEAR signs of fatigue and being outplayed in 2017 by opponents. So yeah, a top pairing over his head getting outplayed and losing games while struggling as all rookie defensmen (sophomore even more so) do.

He is a top pairing on a bad team and a second pairing on a playoff team.

I don't disagree.

Still, 2nd pairing at age 20 on playoff team is a heck of an accomplishment.

He has shown signs of fatigue, I won't dispute that at all. I thought he should of seen a reduce role for some time during his struggles.

But he's shown enough to say he's going to be a strong defender for a very long time as he fills out and matures. He's probably not even fully-grown yet.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Exactly, which makes even more important to keep your costs down elsewhere, which magnifies the importance of retaining those 3 cheap young RD in Carlo, Colin, and McAvoy.

Then factor in a potential Spooner raise this year, Belesky's contract being here, and a Vatrano raise next year. (Assuming all are still here)

Toss in the deals for Krug and Rask still being here (fairly safe bet).

Your looking at approx. 60 million tied up in 9 forwards, 1 D, and a goaltender, and still needing 4 forwards, 6 D, and a back-up. So your looking at about 12-14 million for 11 players. Good luck.

Something would have to give. If anything, a Landeskog acquisition without money moving out prevents Boston from any other significant acquisition, regardless of how bad the D is.

I think BruinDust nailed it. Getting Landeskog now is really serving very little purpose. We don't have a whole bunch of cap leverage as some think. Next season is when it will really sting. As quoted by BruinDust, a little over a million each for 11 players.. I hope Sweeney just forgets about Landeskog , he is NOT what this team needs. Our problems are on defence and the need for a capable back up..

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I think BruinDust nailed it. Getting Landeskog now is really serving very little purpose. We don't have a whole bunch of cap leverage as some think. Next season is when it will really sting. As quoted by BruinDust, a little over a million each for 11 players.. I hope Sweeney just forgets about Landeskog , he is NOT what this team needs. Our problems are on defence and the need for a capable back up..

If Boston goes for Landy you can bet money moving out in same deal.Sweeney not that dumb.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I think the Bruins do it, Zboril + JFK + Gabrielle + Beleskey + 1st.

It would stink losing JFK, who is arguably the 2nd best Bruins' prospect behind McAvoy, but the Bruins have Frederic, Donato, Spooner, and Landeskog who can play center. Bergeron and Krejci are probably not going anywhere any time soon as well. The Bruins will still have plenty of LWs in DeBrusk, Heinen, Vatrano, Bjork, Cehlarik, and Landeskog if they move Gabrielle. Losing Zboril will hurt the most in my opinion because of the lack of certainty of LDs on the Bruins down the line when Chara retires, but you have to give to get.

That's too much to give up for Landeskog. JFK should not be part of deal because Boston is not deep in quality C prospects. In fact, he's the organization's best, followed by Frederic. Neither, however, has first-line potential.

So if neither Boston or Montreal will trade their best defensive prospects where does Sakic go from here?

Anaheim or Philadelphia. They are probably even better trade partners than Boston is.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Brandon Smith is suppose to be available.

Don't he and Marchand (and maybe others on B's have "a thing"?

I thought one of the whispers I heard about Reilly not being close with guys on the team had to do with his bro not being well-liked in the B's room? I could be wrong about this, but if true, would make Boston an unlikely destination.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
If I'm Sweeney, and I know ownership expects playoffs this season, I look at my roster as below and my untouchables and then make moves as follows:

Marshy-Bergy-Backes
XXXXX-Krejci-Pasta
XXXXX-Spooner-Vatrano
Schaller-Moore-Nash

Chara-Carlo
Krug-McQuaid
K Miller-C Miller

Untouchables:
MacAvoy
JFK
Senyshyn

1. Need a top 6 LW for Krecji line. Do we use Cehlarik or grab a Landeskog? Tough call here with such a small sample size from Cehlarik.

2. Beleskey/Hayes do not fit on this team currently. They definitely don't belong with Spooner/Vatrano. Option to plug Cehlarik in there if we got a new top 6 or trade for a guy like Duclair who potted 20 last season and could thrive with a speedy guy like Spooner. Does Iggy slot in there? Iggy for Beleskey would be a welcome addition to rid ourselves of the 3.75 for 3 more years.

3. Is this defense good enough for a playoff run as it stands? Can MacAvoy jump in and add anything of substance? In my mind, would love to grab a Stone from Arizona, perhaps part of a Duclair deal. Don't want Shatty at all, will cost us a fortune and he's not part of the future here. Could we grab a Trouba? Would likely cost us a Carlo, assuming we don't lose him in a Lando deal. But are we that much further ahead, trading Carlo for Trouba? More so just congests things with the cap. Still short a top 4 in my opinion.

Hayes/Beleskey/Miller or McQuaid/Liles should all be moved out by the end of the trade deadline. Too much money tied up on these players without any significant contribution to the team.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Which means Sweeney would likely need to give up more valued assets to get Colorado to take some bad money back.

Awesome. :sarcasm:

You do not know that..I like Carlo and could care less about Landeskog but I will say this.Montreal and other teams will be moving on him soon. POOP OR GET OFF THE POT ..Brandin Smith interest s me though...ps Washington just aquired Tom Gilbert

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
IMO if Sakic deals Lando to the Bruins and doesn't come back with Carlo he looks like a fool. Someone else will give their best prospect for him. Bergevin will deal Sergachev I'm betting.

Lou, I don't see it.

McAvoy is the equivalent to Sergachev, and I doubt either is on the table. If I was MTL I would be offering guys like Juulsen, who is more of a comparable to Carlo then Sergachev IMO.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
if i'm sweeney, and i know ownership expects playoffs this season, i look at my roster as below and my untouchables and then make moves as follows:

Marshy-bergy-backes
xxxxx-krejci-pasta
xxxxx-spooner-vatrano
schaller-moore-nash

chara-carlo
krug-mcquaid
k miller-c miller

untouchables:
Macavoy
jfk
senyshyn

1. Need a top 6 lw for krecji line. Do we use cehlarik or grab a landeskog? Tough call here with such a small sample size from cehlarik.

2. Beleskey/hayes do not fit on this team currently. They definitely don't belong with spooner/vatrano. Option to plug cehlarik in there if we got a new top 6 or trade for a guy like duclair who potted 20 last season and could thrive with a speedy guy like spooner. Does iggy slot in there? Iggy for beleskey would be a welcome addition to rid ourselves of the 3.75 for 3 more years.

3. Is this defense good enough for a playoff run as it stands? Can macavoy jump in and add anything of substance? In my mind, would love to grab a stone from arizona, perhaps part of a duclair deal. Don't want shatty at all, will cost us a fortune and he's not part of the future here. Could we grab a trouba? Would likely cost us a carlo, assuming we don't lose him in a lando deal. But are we that much further ahead, trading carlo for trouba? More so just congests things with the cap. Still short a top 4 in my opinion.

Hayes/beleskey/miller or mcquaid/liles should all be moved out by the end of the trade deadline. Too much money tied up on these players without any significant contribution to the team.

leave cehlarik right where he is at

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Part of building / re building a contending roster involves identifying assets that have real true value and that the team can "survive" without. I think that's where the Bruins are at with Carlo.

There's no doubt he's a solid prospect / already a stay contributing defender. That's exactly what any other team would notice and want.

So can you live without him? I think they have answered that question. Now and long term, they have the assets to move on without him. Will there be short term pain? Sure.

But to me (and it appears many others) adding another piece to a core group without giving up anything from the core group? That's the right move to make.

We can't fit all the upcoming prospects on the roster. We have been carrying 8 NHL capable D men all year.. and arguably there are at least a couple more down in Providence.

Carlo is exactly the type of trade asset a team should maximize.

Landeskog appears to be the likely target right now.. but are there other contingency plans / possibilities that involve moving him for a core player?

So for all those not wanting to give up Carlo for Landeskog, I'm curious as to who you feel is fair value for him. And would you make that deal tomorrow? Or is it about carlo alone and the desire to build through the draft?

That's why the Bs will have to package at least once or twice, and pounce on opportunities to sell high and buy low.
Landeskog might be one.

Don't know him enough, so I'll leave the talent evaluation to others, but let's say he's something approaching a stud LW (or forward).
Considering that and his age, why Colorado would want to get rid of such a player? Something is going on here and the Bs should be on that, without being desesperate.

If the cost of acquisition is too much (according obviously to talent evaluators on the team and I understand, that is a big question mark...), they should just let go and find another opportunity.

Is Carlo too much? I don't know, but refusing to trade a particular asset (Carlo) because it fills a bigger need NOW than the acquired asset (Landeskog) is not good asset management IF OBVIOUSLY the acquired asset has more value overall .

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You do not know that..I like Carlo and could care less about Landeskog but I will say this.Montreal and other teams will be moving on him soon. POOP OR GET OFF THE POT ..Brandin Smith interest s me though...ps Washington just aquired Tom Gilbert

Yeah I do.

Teams taking on bad contracts they otherwise don't want in order to for the team moving the bad contract cap relief typically requires the team moving the bad contract to give the other team incentive to do so.

That's how it works.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
If Boston goes for Landy you can bet money moving out in same deal.Sweeney not that dumb.

No one said he is. But in order for Sakic to take back a bad deal or just cash passing, What will the price be for that??? More Prospects?? Sakic is moving Landeskog to free up cash, he's the one not dumb enough to take , lets say Beleskey, not even Hayes..If he does, you can say adios to Carlo and much more..

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yeah I do.

Teams taking on bad contracts they otherwise don't want in order to for the team moving the bad contract cap relief typically requires the team moving the bad contract to give the other team incentive to do so.

That's how it works.

If Boston trades for Landeskog more then Carlo is going regardless.A 1st round pick and a good prospect .If Sweeney cannot convince Sakic to take salary like a Hayes with it in order to make it work he needs to get away from that deal. AND FAST.Why should Bruins be getting bent over for a player they already pretty well do not need .They are deep at wing in system..Sakic is going to shed Duchene so he will have no salary issues

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Yeah I do.

That's how it works.

Trading Carlo would be the incentive. They don't get him unless they take salary back.

Young cost controlled top-4 D are very pricey to acquire. If Colorado wants Carlo, they'll have to pay. Not the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad