Proposal: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors XVII.. Will Chia do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
If we acquire Methot.......and given that he wants around 4.5 - 5 a year; would Boston be able to accommodate that with the raises to Krug/Hamilton/Smith?

I know we can let certain players walk at the end of the year; but I'm not sure what our cap situation is this off-year.

dup7

Jul 5, 2006
Halifax, NS
Even if they're active at the deadline, given his track record of obtaining nothing more than depth players, does anyone really believe Chiarelli will bring in the player or players this team needs to honestly compete for a cup? Greg Zannon. Andrei Meszaros. Corey Potter. These are the kind of players he brings in at the deadline typically, and as we've seen, those guys are not good enough to move the needle.

You're basing that assumption on past seasons where the team has been either at the top of the league, if not the conference/division. Don't you think the needs are a little more glaring this year? There's nothing 'typical' about their position this year...

Also, you're talking about a guy who pulled the trigger on the Seguin deal, among some other large transactions so I think your point is moot.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Really that's the example you want to use to make your point - Paquette :laugh:

In fairness he has looked real physical this year. I have had no problem with his physical game, it's his skating game and more specifically when teams get him to turn that's killing him right now. Teams easily are able to dump and retrieve pucks behind him or played it off the boards with little chips and blow by him while he's turning. Some of that stems from Dougie being really aggressive in the neutral zone and not being able to beat the forecheckers into the corners or take good enough angles on the chip plays though.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Assuming Ottawa can't/don't resign him and explore a trade....what is a realistic guess on the price tag? Same as the supposed price for Franson and Sekera (1st + prospect)?

I see Methot as the best player among those 3, but his injury history has to bring the cost down somewhat. My guess is Ottawa pays him.

I don't think any of those net a team a first.

One thing Chiarelli has done is get picks only to trade his own picks in the same round (which also improves their spot in the draft)

A second and a prospect may get it done. And my guess would be Spooner - home town and all. Although I've made that suggestion before

If we acquire Methot.......and given that he wants around 4.5 - 5 a year; would Boston be able to accommodate that with the raises to Krug/Hamilton/Smith?

I know we can let certain players walk at the end of the year; but I'm not sure what our cap situation is this off-year.

If you grab Methot, and you sign him at that price tag, you trade Seids at the draft. Campbell gone and Cunningham fills his spot, you've taken care of the cap.

PS - I want to be an NHL GM:help:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You're basing that assumption on past seasons where the team has been either at the top of the league, if not the conference/division. Don't you think the needs are a little more glaring this year? There's nothing 'typical' about their position this year...

Also, you're talking about a guy who pulled the trigger on the Seguin deal, among some other large transactions so I think your point is moot.

The needs are more glaring, which means other teams know that as well. Ultimately, that will drive the prices up, IMO, for them. In the past, when they had a top team, but were maybe looking for a piece to put them over the top, they could be less eager and willing to overpay. Now that they need pieces just to realistically compete, I think that makes it much harder for them.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
How long do you keep holding on to the memory of what Chara was. He is far diminished from the Chara we saw in 2011. Do we basically let him rot away because he was a great player for us or do we try to trade him while he still may hold value to other teams.

I realize the presence Chara brings as captain and the illusion that we are a tough team with this man of a mountain manning our blueline. Truth be told , be it the injuries, the plan of the organization or the kinder/gentlier NHL - Chara right now is softer than any of our Dmen.
No he isnt.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
More from our famous gumshoe, hawk of a reporter. The "Dick Tracy" of sports reporters, the always original Haggs:

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-rumor-mill-february-12-2015/

Holy **** is there anyone that he didn't mention:

CSNNE.COM: Joe Haggerty suggests the Boston Bruins should consider trading captain Zdeno Chara while they can still get value for the 37-year-old blueliner, though he admits that’s a move which likely can’t happen until the offseason at the earliest.
Haggerty notes there’s no easy solution to help the Bruins avoid missing the playoffs. He notes the Bruins have been linked to Chris Stewart, Michael Ryder, Zack Kassian and Cam Atkinson in their search for a right wing, and doesn’t rule out the possibility of a return of Jaromir Jagr. Defensemen like Cody Franson and Andrej Sekera are

Management can consider trading Chara all they want... but if any team scouts just one game, they'll see that he's not worth it right now. Would anyone put him in a 5-6 role? Cause that's where he truly belongs right now... At the price tag, for the amount of years he's got left, it just doesn't make sense for any other team.

But, he IS still the heart and soul of the Bruins. Sometimes, as an organization, you gotta reward the guys who have gone to war for you and won. Bruins may (will) not be as good these next few years as Chara fades into the sunset, but in my opinion he's earned it. Let him ride it out. Players will respect that.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
I saw him last night at the Erie Otters game sitting with Elvis Presley to his left and Michael Jackson to his right.

That's good info right there, but what I want to know is, was he focused on watching the game or just "chatting it up" with those two deadbeats.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
To be fair though, he acquired the 3 guys you mentioned when they were either in 1st or 2nd in the conference. Not 8th.

But they needed more, certainly in the case of Meszaros. So in a position of strength and needing something real he got a #7 d-man.

It's far from a gutsy prediction, but I bet he adds a few crappy pieces (Stewart, maybe a bottom pairing d-man) and then argues that a recovering Chara and Seidenberg is enough for this team. Then he'll likely mention how he was in on a few bigger fish (but really wasn't) but he wanted to be loyal to his guys and not shake things up too much.

Good money after bad is my biggest fear here. I can feel it coming.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I can confirm Chiarelli is alive. He was the left shark at Katy Perry's half time show. Spent most of the season working on his moves but it was a chance of a lifetime. He's only getting back to work now. Give the guy a break.

28802e9.gif

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

The Seguin and Horton deals were both offseason deals. He's shown he has the willingness to make a big move, he just isn't able to do it during the season.

The kind of deal Buffalo and Winnipeg made yesterday seems like it could never happen with PC. He's either too concerned about rankling his precious core in the locker room or he's incapable of making a major move without months of focused deliberation, or both. But the guy is too slow to act, and he doesn't get anything done under pressure.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Smith? A raise? He's been awful.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The Seguin and Horton deals were both offseason deals. He's shown he has the willingness to make a big move, he just isn't able to do it during the season.

The kind of deal Buffalo and Winnipeg made yesterday seems like it could never happen with PC. He's either too concerned about rankling his precious core in the locker room or he's incapable of making a major move without months of focused deliberation, or both. But the guy is too slow to act, and he doesn't get anything done under pressure.

Wheeler/Stuart-Peverley was fairly significant. Kaberle acquisition was big at that moment.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
What can Chiarelli really do? His hands are tied until the off season IMHO. Any trade he makes won't do much to help this team. The Bruins have become a team full of rich fat players that are unmotivated. Good luck. Chiarelli should have started the purge a couple of years ago. I think now it's too late for this season. Keep what ever assets they have s TRY to retool. Chiarelli has hit a big mess on his hands this off season. It might be be more interesting than the regular season. Can't wait.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If we are going by that logic, why not trade for any other stiff to play RW with those guys? What's so special about Stewart?

Nothing whatsoever, especially at that rumored price. However IMO there's zero chance Chiarelli stands pat or sells at deadline after Jacobs "threat". I think he's trying to save his job at this point, or at least considering it. I think (& disagree with) we might see him overpay for a Vermette/ Stewart/ Sekera type. I'm not a fan of Stewart but at least he's proven in the past that he's capable of scoring. Unlike Kassian that many here have clamored for.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Nothing whatsoever, especially at that rumored price. However IMO there's zero chance Chiarelli stands pat or sells at deadline after Jacobs "threat". I think he's trying to save his job at this point, or at least considering it. I think (& disagree with) we might see him overpay for a Vermette/ Stewart/ Sekera type. I'm not a fan of Stewart but at least he's proven in the past that he's capable of scoring. Unlike Kassian that many here have clamored for.

I'd like to offer another opinion:

I think the Jacobs outburst was a calculated show. He wanted to announce he was on the scene, with the added potential benefit of lighting a fire under the players. And it worked, temporarily.

But I don't see how it's remotely believable that the GM's seat is hot and Jacobs wants action because there is no way any reasonable human would respond by going into hiding. Your boss calls you out and your response is to vanish entirely??? I don't buy it. I think it was an act, and I bet that stuff goes on all the time. It's the management equivalent of tipping over the buffet.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I heard that the jury is still out and that he is still evaluating mayo prior to making a decision.

His burger got cold because he was too busy weighing the positives and negatives of each option. Sadly enough, he ended up doing nothing and ate his burger cold, and plain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad