Proposal: All Bruins trade proposals/rumors XVII.. Will Chia do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
Mod Edit: Let's just use this for the new thread.

What do you guys think of this...

If Kings fall further out of the playoff race by the deadline I think we should go after Justin Williams. He holds a $3.65 million annual cap hit but a clutch playoff player ( LAST YEARS CONN-SMTH WINNER ) and he could be the RW we have been waiting for.

To Boston - ( RW ) Justin Williams ( Age 33 ) $ 3.65 million cap hit

To Kings - Basically move Kelly to the 4th line and bump either Griffith or Cunningham off the active roster then move Spooner or picks to aquire Williams.

Lucic - Krejci - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - Williams
Eriksson - Soderberg - Smith
Paille - Kelly - Campbell

Thoughts ???

Last edited by a moderator:

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
There are going to be a lot of teams interested in Williams if he becomes available at the deadline. It's going to cost a lot more than Spooner / picks to bring him on board. I think at a minimum you'd have Smith going the other way.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Fine by me

I am not in favor dealing Reilly Smith for a much older player. Justin Williams would be a nice add but he's a final piece type acquisition, and this team is a ways away from needing the final piece. They still need multiple other pieces first.

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
I don't think the Kings will want to rid themselves of Justin Williams but they are also extremely tight against the cap with players to resign. Even at 33 if push came to shove I would take Williams over Smith.
Williams has been a playoff performer his whole career going back to winning the Cup with Carolina in 2006. The Kings will be in a dog fight to make the playoffs. At the moment, Minnesota looks to be the team to beat. They are also on the outside looking in but have won their last 5 and looking though they have there poo in a group.
I know the Kings have been looking for a defenceman to replace Voynov. Maybe a combination of Spooner and either Morrow or Bartkowski ? Claude isn't going to play them anyway.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I am not in favor dealing Reilly Smith for a much older player. Justin Williams would be a nice add but he's a final piece type acquisition, and this team is a ways away from needing the final piece. They still need multiple other pieces first.
Exactly. We can add williams, subtract smith and guess what? This team still has huge holes.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Chara's salary decreases but his caphit stays the same for the duration of the contract.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I don't think the Kings will want to rid themselves of Justin Williams but they are also extremely tight against the cap with players to resign. Even at 33 if push came to shove I would take Williams over Smith.
Williams has been a playoff performer his whole career going back to winning the Cup with Carolina in 2006. The Kings will be in a dog fight to make the playoffs. At the moment, Minnesota looks to be the team to beat. They are also on the outside looking in but have won their last 5 and looking though they have there poo in a group.
I know the Kings have been looking for a defenceman to replace Voynov. Maybe a combination of Spooner and either Morrow or Bartkowski ? Claude isn't going to play them anyway.

I love it. Williams is the player I was hoping they would target from the get go. In the end I expect them to go the Stafford/Stewart route.

If they;re going to go anywhere though they need a top-6/9 scorer and a top-4 defensemen. In the end I just don't see the cap room to pull all that off nor the assets to compete with teams that have stocked farm systems.

Time will tell though :crossfing.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
saw someone complaining about our draft record in the last thread... I wonder how bad our draft record is when the core of our team is all home drafted?

krecji... yes
lucic... yes
Bergeron... yes
marchand... yes
pastrnak... yes
Hamilton... yes

on top of that there are a lot of our draft choices making strong contribitions around the nhl

if you start listing teams that have more impactful players in the nhl then us, you are mostly looking at teams that miss the playoffs everyyear

when you point out failed drafts/busted prospects and pretend no other team has the exact same problems you are being very near sighted.

theres always 1 or 2 teams that got lucky with some of their choices and temperily look like they draft a lot better... but that averages itself out

drafting is a very inexact science and theres many a slip between cup and lip when it comes to developing teenagers into nhl players

remember too... its a lot tougher to get a season on the fourth line of a cup contender than it would be on a non playoff team. a lot of our guys would be 4th liners on crap teams and the games played number would be a lot higher

we develop quality impact players though... cup contending players...

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
We just don't have the cap to make any earth shattering changes. If we are going to say we are making a run this year then we need to add the horses to better our chances. We have holes but we won't get the holes plugged. All we can do is slow the leak as best we can. Williams could help. He is better than Smith at the moment but I think he can be added without subtracting Smith.
The Bruins need to decide if they are going for it. If Chiarelli stands pat at the deadline then we have our answer. You see this team against Montreal. The boys lose there minds instead of sticking to their game. Marchand said that they get caught always trying to play the Habs style and pay for it everytime. A guy like Williams can not only produce but would be a calming influence for this roster.
I don't think we are several pieces away. We just need to settle down and play OUR game. Not try to adapt to the opposition and we are fine.

C'mon Chiarelli...Get something done.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
3 of them were draft by other guys

1 was an automatic and Gretzky drafted pasta

So just Looch

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Picture in your head the top six winger you desperately want Boston to acquire.

Montreal will get him.

Now picture in your head the top defenseman you want Boston to acquire.

Tampa Bay will get him.

Now picture the second top defenseman that you want Boston to acquire.

Detroit will get him.

Once you have done that, now you have Boston's potential targets.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
As far as big Z is concerned you almost have to view him as an UFA at this point in his career. You have to explore what the return could be for him. I would rather find out we could get the alternative is for him to play out the rest of his contract and then retire (?) If so the Bruins would get nothing and be left with out any return. At some point it has to be considered ... they need to consider the future of the team. Not a fun choice.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Not sure about salary; but I think the following would be good moves to improve the depth, toughness, and defense. I'm rotten at this, but here goes...

Spooner, Morrow, and a 2nd rounder to Ottawa for Methot and Neil

Trotman and a 2016 2nd rounder for Stewart at 50%

Probably need to waive or trade Paille, Campbell and/or McQuaid for cap space; but I don't know because I can't see capgeek anymore.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
saw someone complaining about our draft record in the last thread... I wonder how bad our draft record is when the core of our team is all home drafted?

krecji... yes
lucic... yes
Bergeron... yes
marchand... yes
pastrnak... yes
Hamilton... yes

on top of that there are a lot of our draft choices making strong contribitions around the nhl

if you start listing teams that have more impactful players in the nhl then us, you are mostly looking at teams that miss the playoffs everyyear

when you point out failed drafts/busted prospects and pretend no other team has the exact same problems you are being very near sighted.

theres always 1 or 2 teams that got lucky with some of their choices and temperily look like they draft a lot better... but that averages itself out

drafting is a very inexact science and theres many a slip between cup and lip when it comes to developing teenagers into nhl players

remember too... its a lot tougher to get a season on the fourth line of a cup contender than it would be on a non playoff team. a lot of our guys would be 4th liners on crap teams and the games played number would be a lot higher

we develop quality impact players though... cup contending players...

Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Marchand were not drafted by this regime. Seguin and Hamilton were gifted to the B's. Between that 06 draft that yielded: Kessel, Looch and Marchand and the 2010 Seguin draft the Bruins have selected in the first 3 rounds:

Zach Hamill, Tommy Cross. Joe Colbourne, Maxime Sauve, Michael Hutchinson, Jordan Caron, Ryan Button.

That's three straight years with absolute swing and misses and the consequences has just started to rear it's ugly head now.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
didn't realize the CBA allowed contracts to do that? is that simply because he is 40?

It's a response to the Kovalchuk contract. My understanding is that when a player signs a multi-year deal that takes them past the age of 40, the cap hit in the years before turning 40 are the average of those years while the years after 40 are the actual amount owed to the player that year.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Picture in your head the top six winger you desperately want Boston to acquire.

Montreal will get him.

Now picture in your head the top defenseman you want Boston to acquire.

Tampa Bay will get him.

Now picture the second top defenseman that you want Boston to acquire.

Detroit will get him.

Once you have done that, now you have Boston's potential targets.

So good-bye Williams, Methot, Petry. Hello Stewart and Michalek. Not awful but this is what I realistically see Boston getting anyways. And if they come cheap enough as in Boston not moving their 1st, Phi 2nd, Koko, Subban or Morrow then I'd actually be OK with it.

Anaheim is likely looking for a defensemen too, then Washington and Winnipeg a top-6 forward as well. So we may actually be down to the 3rd best d-man out of the group and the 3rd or 4th best forward of the bunch and picking between those scraps starts to look like picking the prettiest person at a leper colony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad