Proposal: All Bruins Trade Proposals IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
There hasn't been and as somebody who is anything but a defender of Sweeney I don't think he has done badly when trading with the Rangers. For some reason some people still think Spooner was never given a fair chance or the pick was more valuable than Nash, who got injured, but was looking like he was going to be a very nice fit on the second line.
And Spooner is now off to Switzerland to practice his yodeling.

Reactions: Dr Hook

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Personally, I thought Sweeney overpaid for Nash.

I thought Spooner and Lindgren were the cost to take on Beleskey. I know Spooner has amounted to nothing but he was a young player with a 50 point season under his belt, he might not have been worth much but he wasn't worth nothing at the time. And Lindgren was a solid prospect who's still in the mix for them.

Take away all the noise and it boiled down to a 1st for Nash, a guy who was in the midst of his third 30 point season. I know he was a big name but he hadn't played like it for years, was often injured and was never a good playoff performer.

Would anyone have been ok with a 1st for Wayne Simmonds this year? He and Nash had almost identical numbers at the time they were dealt. Simmonds was 5 years younger, had 46 points the year before and was only 2 years removed from a 30 goal season. It had been 4 years since Nash topped 40 points.

I don't know. I don't like to beat Sweeney up for it because I applaud the thinking, he did what he had to do to get the player he wanted, but I do think he paid more than the player was worth at the time.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I thought Spooner and Lindgren were the cost to take on Beleskey. I know Spooner has amounted to nothing but he was a young player with a 50 point season under his belt, he might not have been worth much but he wasn't worth nothing at the time. And Lindgren was a solid prospect who's still in the mix for them.

Take away all the noise and it boiled down to a 1st for Nash, a guy who was in the midst of his third 30 point season. I know he was a big name but he hadn't played like it for years, was often injured and was never a good playoff performer.

Would anyone have been ok with a 1st for Wayne Simmonds this year? He and Nash had almost identical numbers at the time they were dealt. Simmonds was 5 years younger, had 46 points the year before and was only 2 years removed from a 30 goal season. It had been 4 years since Nash topped 40 points.

I don't know. I don't like to beat Sweeney up for it because I applaud the thinking, he did what he had to do to get the player he wanted, but I do think he paid more than the player was worth at the time.

I agree with you. I thought at the time that Sweeney overpaid, and I still feel that way. It wasn't a fleecing by Gorton, but Sweeney paid too much for a player (Nash) who was notoriously a poor playoff performer.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I still like the Nash pick up. You can't predict concussions I guess and they don't beat Toronto wo him IMO.

His stats trend was abysmal. Poor playoff performer, declining overall stats, health concerns .... etc. It was a terrible trade. Add in the fact the bruins gave up a first and retained a portion of Beleskys salary. Other options were available that could have been less costly and better for the team.

I also liked what I saw from Lindgren. He was unbelievable at the world juniors and looked to be good in the NHL.

This trade still irks me big time.

Krejci himself said he was playing extremely well with spooner And Debrusk at his side. I feel for the spooner kid.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I still like the Nash pick up. You can't predict concussions I guess and they don't beat Toronto wo him IMO.

agree, although i would've preferred they spent more for a guy who had some term left. a 1st+ usually gets you
a pretty good player with term. but i was one of the few nash fans so not a big deal.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you are a making a deadline deal for a playoff push/run, you overpay. Teams that are sellers know it, prices are high, like UFA scrambles on July 1. Nash was a swing and a miss but it was a good attempt, he helped the team till he got hurt and it was an overpay for sure, but not a gross one.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Yup. He overpaid.

But that’s not uncommon at the trade deadline and I’m happy he had the courage to do it. It was a sign he believed in his team and Nash was a great fit before that concussion.

If overpaying is what it takes to give your team the best chance at winning, I’ll support it every time.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I didn’t like the Nash pickup because I never really liked him as a player but I had no issue with the price paid. The pieces the Bruins gave up had little to no value for them

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
His stats trend was abysmal. Poor playoff performer, declining overall stats, health concerns .... etc. It was a terrible trade. Add in the fact the bruins gave up a first and retained a portion of Beleskys salary. Other options were available that could have been less costly and better for the team.

I also liked what I saw from Lindgren. He was unbelievable at the world juniors and looked to be good in the NHL.

This trade still irks me big time.

Krejci himself said he was playing extremely well with spooner And Debrusk at his side. I feel for the spooner kid.
If Spooner had an ounce of talent, in a 31 team NHL, he would have a job. He doesn't because he isn't good at hockey. You pining for Spooner to be back in Boston or the NHL is like me wanting Tyler Randell back.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Just saying, Schnieder at 3mil per, one extra year than Backes, Wood and give up Halak who you're not going to be able to afford next year anyways.

I think it deserves consideration if Cory checks out.

If you could get Schneider for $3 million a year, I'd do it (assuming no major medical concerns).

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If Spooner had an ounce of talent, in a 31 team NHL, he would have a job. He doesn't because he isn't good at hockey. You pining for Spooner to be back in Boston or the NHL is like me wanting Tyler Randell back.

Disagree that he doesn't have the talent. It's the head that's got him in the position he's in now.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Just saying, Schnieder at 3mil per, one extra year than Backes, Wood and give up Halak who you're not going to be able to afford next year anyways.

I think it deserves consideration if Cory checks out.
There’s also the buyout option. $2M/yr or $1M/yr. Would take either option over being stuck with Backes $6M for what is arguably the last couple of years of the window.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Rick Nash could still skate and do things other than stand in front of the net on the PP though. There’s literally nothing good about Simmonds game anymore outside of that

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Backes, Pastrnak & McAvoy to the Rangers for Trouba, Kakko, & Kreider

1n8eqh.jpg

Reactions: DKH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad