Proposal: All Bruins Trade Proposals IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
[B said:
"The don godfather, post: 163197729, member: 305667"]Love if Donny can swing a backes Bobby ryan deal.[/B]

:huh:
FORWARDS (10 - $26,937,500)TERMSPOSSTATUSAGE2019-202020-212021-22
Ryan, BobbyM-NTCNMCRW, LWNHL32$7,250,000$7,250,000$7,250,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Backes, DavidM-NTCC, RWNHL35$6,000,000$6,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97

member 96824

One player I’ve been thinking about is Tyler Toffoli

If you can move Backes, even with some retained salary..it only helps if you’re using that money to better the team. Assume you slap a second to Backes and retain 20%. If he retires or has one of those Callahan doctors even easier.

Toffoli’s a UFA at the end of the year and it’s questionable if LA will be contending. I’m not worried about Toffoli has a UFA because my mindset right now is maximizing this Bergeron-Marchand-Krejci-Rask window. I believe next summer is the summer it starts to get torn down and transitioned to the Pasta-McAvoy era anyway with the money that comes up.

I think the return looks similar to a Muzzin deal but slightly less

2020 1st
Zboril

2020 lineup looks like this:
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Toffoli
Heinen-Coyle-Kuhlman/Ritchie/kids
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Clifmilloorekinen

Sign Charlie to a 5x2
Sign Carlo to a 3x2 (that one I have no idea if possible, but I think Heinen sets the market for him in an odd way)

Win cup, drink beer out of cup while other teams draft in the first and second round

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
One player I’ve been thinking about is Tyler Toffoli

If you can move Backes, even with some retained salary..it only helps if you’re using that money to better the team. Assume you slap a second to Backes and retain 20%. If he retires or has one of those Callahan doctors even easier.

Toffoli’s a UFA at the end of the year and it’s questionable if LA will be contending. I’m not worried about Toffoli has a UFA because my mindset right now is maximizing this Bergeron-Marchand-Krejci-Rask window. I believe next summer is the summer it starts to get torn down and transitioned to the Pasta-McAvoy era anyway with the money that comes up.

I think the return looks similar to a Muzzin deal but slightly less

2020 1st
Zboril

2020 lineup looks like this:
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Toffoli
Heinen-Coyle-Kuhlman/Ritchie/kids
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Clifmilloorekinen

Sign Charlie to a 5x2
Sign Carlo to a 3x2 (that one I have no idea if possible, but I think Heinen sets the market for him in an odd way)

Win cup, drink beer out of cup while other teams draft in the first and second round
Rather trade Heinen for Toffoli then give up any top picks.

Reactions: Strafer

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I'd rather have Heinen- he is a better player. Toffoli might be a decent pickup, though.
Possibly, depending on the price, not trading a 1st or 2nd though, if they do it for prospects I would include 1 or 2 from JFK, Senyshen, Zboril, Frederic.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Possibly, depending on the price, not trading a 1st or 2nd though, if they do it for prospects I would include 1 or 2 from JFK, Senyshen, Zboril, Frederic.
Would try to stay away from Frederic, think he has a shot at a decent career, might be at wing but like his size and grit. If they could get something for JFK it's a win

member 96824

It's not a grudge at all, just saying that I am not one who likes giving up top picks, especially in a deep draft.

Gotcha. I tend to agree in a vacuum, but at the same time I’m struggling to come up with a scenario where even keeping all picks, the franchise bridges from era to era over smoothly especially with how loaded the Atlantic has become.

IMO it’s worth trading a first now for help because the other side of the coin is Bergeron being 37 before that pick starts to generate a real return.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Marleau deal to get him out of Toronto is what we are looking at to get Backes out of Boston. Marleau has a better year than backes, but backes has an extra year on his deal.

It’s either going to cost you a first round draft pick or a pretty good prospect and a 2nd round pick. If we eat some salary it will be less. However there is little to no chance we get a half way decent player back in return.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Marleau deal to get him out of Toronto is what we are looking at to get Backes out of Boston. Marleau has a better year than backes, but backes has an extra year on his deal.

It’s either going to cost you a first round draft pick or a pretty good prospect and a 2nd round pick. If we eat some salary it will be less. However there is little to no chance we get a half way decent player back in return.

Salary is on the Bruins favor in getting rid of Backes its just who can afford the 6 millon dollar cap hit and will Backes be willing to waive his NTC to go to that team.

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire
Apologies if any of the following ideas has been previously floated in the thread -- I have skimmed over the past month and am sure I have not read everything.

I think everyone recognizes that the Bruins have an embarrassment of riches in defensive depth, so they have to consider converting some of that D-depth into firepower going into the upcoming season. The hole on the right side of the top six that has plagued the Bs since Horton's departure has to be the next priority after getting the RFAs settled. It is my understanding that DS has adopted a wait-and-see approach, expecting one of a number of prospects to step up and claim their place in the top six, but as a fan this, of course, makes me anxious. The by-committee approach has, for long stretches in past seasons, seemed like an inadequate solution, though it's hard to argue with reaching the Final. I'm happy to be told otherwise, but I would guess that in descending order of expectations those prospects look something like: Studnicka, Senyshyn, Cehlarik, Bjork, Heinen, Kuhlman, and Steen.

I want to trust the process and defer to the pro talent evaluators, but it seems like all of those players are less than likely (< 50%) to fill a RW1/2 slot (Pasta filling the other). Now, if each players has, say, a 40% chance to "pay off" and be the answer DS and BC are seeking, having a half-dozen bites at the apple isn't a bad situation to be in. Yet, I think that because the Bruins cannot pay & play all of their defensemen in an effective manner, it is a no-brainer to move some of the depth to bump the probability of success at RW1/2.

Part 1. Another Mass. coup against British (Columbia).

There have been a number of posters clamoring to land Virtanen as a physical winger, but I think they have set their sights too low. I think DS has a chance to cause another round of riots in Vancouver by holding them over a barrel. Currently, CapFriendly shows the Canucks as having a hair over $5mm in cap space available with both Brock Boeser and Nikolay Goldobin unsigned as RFAs. Despite several injuries in a young career, I think Boeser would be a wonderful addition to the Bruins as a scoring RW, perhaps instantly solving the problem -- whether that means Pasta at RW1 and Boeser slotting in below or vice versa.

To acquire Boeser, I think the Bruins would need to overpay slightly in dollar terms but the thrust of the offer would have to be in the term & chance to bag a Cup. I think a four year deal that takes Boeser to the edge of free agency at a ~$7mm AAV, while giving him an immediate chance to win a Cup (to cash in on in a few years) would be an extremely tempting offer for the player, ergo he would sign such an offer. I have little gauge on whether Vancouver could/would match that offer, but I think at the very least, it heaps pain onto their front office by forcing some tough choices now and in the future. They must already plan to free up dollars to sign Boeser in the neighborhood of $6-7mm, but I would imagine they will try to buy years of FA in the process. In the event that VAN does not match, the B's compensate VAN with a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd pick -- steep, but seems justified in exchange for avoiding the risk of the wait-and-see-who-steps-up game DS appears to be playing with prospects currently in the organization.

Now, obviously the Bruins have little enough headspace to spare currently, cap-wise. So, to get compliant, I think the previously proposed Backes to OTT deal (for negligible return) makes sense for many reasons, including the fact that Zboril can be packaged in place of draft picks which would otherwise be compensation for taking on Backes' contract. OTT gets to the cap floor without spending real dollars, they get a defensive prospect who has played extensive time with Chabot, and perhaps the Bruins sweeten the pot by packaging Gryz. Would hate to see him go, but it seems that either he or Krug is going to fall victim to a future summer's cap crunch. As a young, proven, cheap, and controllable contract, I expect that Gryz would be enormously valuable to OTT in their proposed rebuild.

Such a trade basically negates the cap gain from acquiring Boeser. At this point, presuming Boston lands Boeser, the I expect that the roster looks something like:

MarchandBergeronBoeser
JDBKrejciPasta
HeinenCoyleStudnicka
NordstromKuralyRitchie/Wagner
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
KrugCarlo
VaakMcAvoy
CharaClifton
MillerMoore
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If my math checks out, that roster (apart from Carlo & McAvoy) carries just over $72.5mm against the cap (including the Bells & Seidenberg dollars), which leaves DS only ~$9mm to split between Carlo and McAvoy. If both Carlo and McAvoy are amenable short-term deals in advance of larger paydays, then I think the Bruins have a chance to bridge both of them in order to make the Boeser acquisition work. Maybe 2x$3.75mm and 2x$7mm respectively? Perhaps that's too low, but I suspect that's at least in the right ballpark. The following move would clear slightly more space for these two in the immediate, although if the following didn't pan out, the Bruins may wind up over the cap on the first day of the season without other transactions.

Part 2. Summer Poolparty.

The Bruins also have the chance to pursue another distressed asset that is much more accessible. Jesse Puljujärvi (hereafter "Poolparty" for the sake of fewer accents) seems to have made it public and clear that he does not wish to return to EDM next season and I'm sure many GMs have gotten a call shopping his rights. The word that a first rounder and a roster player is EDM's ask, if accurate, no doubt describes a bargaining tactic. I doubt that the Bruins would have to meet that demand to acquire Poolparty. Instead, I think it would offer fair value to send Kevan Miller west along with Senyshyn in an unknown-value-player swap, perhaps with a Boston 2nd or 3rd rounder going out as well for equity. Senyshyn hasn't panned out yet, but it seems unclear whether that is a function of time, ability, or development. Poolparty, meanwhile, does not seem to lack the talent to be an NHL player, given his WJC performance. It is my impression that Senyshyn has a lower ceiling, but not vastly different current performance level.

EDM might agree to such a swap to recover some of the potential going out the door, particularly if they get a capable defenseman on a reasonable contract and a draft kicker. Boston, on the other hand, gains another potential solution to the hole on the wing on the cheap (I presume Poolparty would be open to a 1-2 x <$2mm "show me" deal to get his NHL career out of first gear), begins to resolve the logjam in defense, and clears out a modest amount of cap space to boot.

Of course, both the proposed Boeser & Poolparty moves are predicated on Backes moving on, but I do believe the two players in the door are independent. Given all the assumptions to this point, I'm confident that the Bruins could fit both or either wingers with a little bit of generosity from the two d-men RFAs, although it would put them right up against the cap. Any bonuses -- I have Chara's games-played at the top of mind -- would spill over into 2020-2021, but surely that would be overlooked if top-six depth matched defensive depth on the way to a Cup.

MarchandBergeronBoeser
JDBKrejciPasta
HeinenCoyleStudnicka/Poolparty
NordstromKuralyRitchie/Wagner
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
KrugCarlo
VaakMcAvoy
CharaClifton
Moore
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Going into next summer, that would put about $63mm in base salary on the books with: Coyle, Wagner, Ritchie, Nordstrom, JDB, Krug, tentatively Chara, and a backup goaltender yet to be signed. It seems silly to get into third-order effects of immediate trades, but an $85mm cap would leave $22mm free for the above and I could imagine DS moving Krejci (promoting Studnicka to C2) a year before his deal expires to have nearly $30mm lined up. I haven't done out the math beyond that, but Krug, Carlo, McAvoy, JDB, Heinen, etc. coming due for a real payday might get scary.

At the same time, the Bruins wouldn't be locked into many contracts and therefore would have a lot of freedom to chart a path forward even if that ultimately included letting much of the current core of vets go. Severals of the contracts with term they would have on the books would be eminently movable.

How short-sighted are each of these moves? How fair and balanced are the trades? Do you think either Boeser or Poolparty would find success in Boston next year if they made the move?

Last edited:

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

I'd rather wait till September and have the Bruins Dr say he failed his camp physical and will need surgery, recovery time 6-8 months

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
There so much horrible contracts and players out there such as ryan lucic Eriksson etc can't understand why Donny can't flip backes and be creative and get him out of here. We also have prospects who are borderline busts and we again we can't flip those and take other busts from other organizations suck as Jessie p virtanen etc.

Reactions: bbfan419

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Gotcha. I tend to agree in a vacuum, but at the same time I’m struggling to come up with a scenario where even keeping all picks, the franchise bridges from era to era over smoothly especially with how loaded the Atlantic has become.

IMO it’s worth trading a first now for help because the other side of the coin is Bergeron being 37 before that pick starts to generate a real return.

Boston has a very good prospect pool. Losing a first this year won't hurt us much and this window is closing faster than my dignity. I'm all for trading picks.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
There so much horrible contracts and players out there such as ryan lucic Eriksson etc can't understand why Donny can't flip backes and be creative and get him out of here. We also have prospects who are borderline busts and we again we can't flip those and take other busts from other organizations suck as Jessie p virtanen etc.

The problem with the Backes contract, is he has an 8 team trade to list, of his choice besides the 6 millon dollar cap hit he brings.

This makes it nearly impossible to move him, because more than likely those teams on Backes list are all contenders and they don't want to have a 6 millon dollar cap hit of dead weight on their cap for the next 2 years.

Reactions: Lo97 and Estlin

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'd rather wait till September and have the Bruins Dr say he failed his camp physical and will need surgery, recovery time 6-8 months

I have no idea, but does that affect the ability to sign both McAvoy and Carlo is no other moves are made to free up cap?

Reactions: Lo97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->