Boston Bruins All Bruins Trade/Free Agent Rumours/Suggestions 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
I'd be more into this kind of deal, if the Bruins could sign someone like De Haan to replace Krug in the Top 4. Or hell, do you flip #7 in a package for Hanifin? It would open up some possibilities. You keep #7, you're getting a serious prospect. Not into moving Krug for futures though...Especially if there isn't a plan to replace him that season. It's just a shaky situation.

This is what I see as what getting into the first round would do... being able to flip the pick for something that will help more now. Hanifin or not, but he's certainly an ideal target. seems like a lot of moving parts but it's not like Sweeney hasn't done something similar (Lucic/Jones) or attempted to otherwise when trying to trade up for Hanifin in the first place.

I think Krug has potential for a substantial return. If Wideman and picks got you Horton and Campbell, or Larsson got Hall, imagine the possibilities.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Trading Krug for a top 10 pick which could be a player that will be playing in College/University next season would set the Bruins back quite a bit.

Trading Krug for a projected better rounded cost controlled Dman while getting more contributions from Gryz/McAvoy + having the extra $$ to improve elsewhere is worth the season or two of setting back.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes, and he is ranked 6th or lower on 6 of the 18.

Given how many teams in the top of the draft need D men or are run by a team willing to reach for a center, I tend to think the actual draft will see him fall a bit. It happens. Its how we got Dougie Hamilton, for instance.

Yeah, and that worked out great.

Did you read the McKenzie article? I mean, the guy isn’t infallible, but he’s well connected, and he says that Zadina, not Tkachuk, is the one dropping.

In the past, when he does his final list, it’s typically based on where he thinks they will be taken, not necessarily how talented they are. I assume that’s the case again this year?

I’m not sure why we are even debating this because I don’t see the B’s making a move to get into the Top 10.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yeah, and that worked out great.

Did you read the McKenzie article? I mean, the guy isn’t infallible, but he’s well connected, and he says that Zadina, not Tkachuk, is the one dropping.

In the past, when he does his final list, it’s typically based on where he thinks they will be taken, not necessarily how talented they are. I assume that’s the case again this year?

I’m not sure why we are even debating this because I don’t see the B’s making a move to get into the Top 10.

I was listening to the Bobcast yesterday. I was floating around the pool doing it so I may have not heard it correctly and such, but I remember McKenzie saying that his rankings are from the panel of 10 scouts he talks to. I believe he does around 70-90 of each's top prospects and develops his list from that. But I thought he also made mention that he doesn't factor in where he believes they would be taken and that his list is solely based off of talent.

I could be wrong though. There was a lot going on with the podcast. If I am, my apologies.

Reactions: BBB24 and BruinDust

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Trading Krug for a top 10 pick which could be a player that will be playing in College/University next season would set the Bruins back quite a bit.
As will trading Krejci for someone who has never played his position.....

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
HYPOTHETICALLY, let's say the Bruins get a decent offer for Krejci... also move Backes.

Is there a 2nd line center that is acquirable with the assets we have? Krug+ could probably get us someone decent.

That's a lot of moving pieces, but just curious what some other options might be.

I think Krug + heinen + the 1st we get for krejci could get us maybe like victor rask + hanifin. Kind of a big shake up but if they sign kovulchuk that’s a top 6 and top 4 of

Marchand-Bergeron-bjork
Kovulchuk-rask-pastrnak

Hanifin-mcavoy
Chara-carlo

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I think Krug + heinen + the 1st we get for krejci could get us maybe like victor rask + hanifin. Kind of a big shake up but if they sign kovulchuk that’s a top 6 and top 4 of

Marchand-Bergeron-bjork
Kovulchuk-rask-pastrnak

Hanifin-mcavoy
Chara-carlo

So basically, we move Krug + Heinen + Krejci for Victor Rask and Hanifin? Easy pass. Victor Rask is not a #2 center at all.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I still want Sweeney to chit chat with LA. There’s a fit there that can help both clubs.

Muzzin fits the mood of what Boston needs. Krug fits the bill of what LA needs. Work from there the other bodies you can move.

As for Krejci I just don’t see him moving. In a year or two if one of the in house options look ready for that role maybe. As it is centres are just so hard to come by.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Not to mention that Hanifin isn't better than Krug at the moment. He might be in a few years or he might not.

Reactions: xgallantx

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Not to mention that Hanifin isn't better than Krug at the moment. He might be in a few years or he might not.

He has bigger uspide, and that's what you're trading for and hoping. That said, giving up a #2 center, a top 4 elite offensive defenseman, and a young NHL player who has upside to be a top 6 two-way forward (coming off a 47 point season) and you're getting back that top 4 defenseman and a center who is better suited for a 3rd line? No thanks.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Marchand-Bergeron-bjork
Kovulchuk-rask-pastrnak

Hanifin-mcavoy
Chara-carlo

I posted a month ish ago saying the Bruins should look into moving Krejci for Rask+. But right now, Rask is a high end 3 C. I don't want to role the dice on him progressing into 2C when we are trying to win right now with Bergeron at his level. I'd only take Rask on as 3C if we had another move for a 2C coming. In my earlier proposed idea, it was adding Tavares as a UFA. Thats looking less and less likely by the day.

So while Rask was injured most of the year, and will more likely than not have a bounce back year, I don't think he is a #2 C on a cup contender. Not right now, and maybe not ever.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Victor Rask as an upgrade on Riley Nash for the 3rd line, especially where Nash is likely to get similar money.

But you don't downgrade from Krecjci to Nash, That is just moving the team in the wrong direction, Especially when you are also downgrading defense pretty substantially in the short term. Oh and just because we are feeling generous we throw in a rookie two way forward coming off a top 10 (rookie) scoring season

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
To think about Krug being moved I think of the another guy who's name appears on the 2011 cup, Thomas Kaberle. The Bruins had been seeking PP/puck moving skills for a few years, they finally got him and Bruins won the cup. His contributions can towards that end can be debated later. But...

The Leafs received in return - Joe Colborne (1st 16th oa) as well as the Bruins 1st and 2nd selections in the 2011 draft, so 30&60.

If Krug is moved this summer he should fetch a fairly hefty return. Krug has a nNMC to deal with, 8 teams he will not accept a trade to.

Again what is he be replaced with?

Krug - 27, 59 points, 5.25 million

Hannafin - 21, 32 points, RFA?
Klefbom - 24, 21 points, 4.1 million?

If Krejci is an uncertainty with who is the #2 C, trading Krug is the riddle of the creation of the universe taking into account production, age, and contract status.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Trading Krug for a projected better rounded cost controlled Dman while getting more contributions from Gryz/McAvoy + having the extra $$ to improve elsewhere is worth the season or two of setting back.
In my post I was hinting more towards guys like Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, etc. Hypothetically speaking, if the Bruins do end up trading Krug for the #7 overall pick and draft Dobson or Bouchard, they are both RD, the Bruins would still have to trade for a top 4LD so the cap the Bruins saved dealing Krug for a draft pick would be close to 0. Dobson/Bouchard may still need a year or two to develop. That's a lot of eggs being put in one basket expecting Grzelcyk, McAvoy, and LHD TBD to score Krug's 59pts. Trading Krug in hopes to get better in 1 or 2 years would be wasting Marchand's and Bergeron's years.

In my opinion, the Bruins should hold onto Krug, if he's being traded for a pick, for one more season and see where Grzelcyk, McAvoy, Vaakainen, Zboril, and Lauzon are in their development by the end of the season.
As will trading Krejci for someone who has never played his position.....
I wouldn't mind if the Bruins trade Krejci because I think the Bruins could use a different skillset at that position. Will they or should they? Probably not because there aren't any better options out there which is why teams are interested in him. I expect him to be a Bruin next season.

However, I do believe it is easier to replace a 50+pt center than it is a defenseman that puts up 59pts. Using Lindholm as an example, if he is capable of playing center and scored 44pts last season, is it out of the realm of possibility that he would be a 50+pt center playing between DeBrusk and Pastrnak/Kovalchuk/Rick Nash? Would he be as reliable as Krejci to the point you can trust him if Bergeron went down to injury? At 23, probably not.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think you'd package or get a package for a Krejci replacement with Krejci.

I think Krug+ could get a solid #2.

My hypothetical was if Krejci was moved to one of those other teams, that don't have a Krug as a piece moving out.
Gotcha.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
7OA is where I start seriously considering pulling the trigger on a deal.

It's a damm shame that spot doesn't have a good C prospect.

Where are these Krug trade proposals coming from, just fans wishing or are there real rumours?

I'd be more into this kind of deal, if the Bruins could sign someone like De Haan to replace Krug in the Top 4. Or hell, do you flip #7 in a package for Hanifin? It would open up some possibilities. You keep #7, you're getting a serious prospect. Not into moving Krug for futures though...Especially if there isn't a plan to replace him that season. It's just a shaky situation.

Yep.

The team should be focused on competing now, but it could be done with future in mind as well.
Chiarelli thought me to respect healthy prospect pool/u25 core.

DeHaan+7ov Hanifin vs Krug.

I think Carolina wants to get better right away and is not looking to deal too many players for futures, and would prefer Faulk out.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He has bigger uspide, and that's what you're trading for and hoping. That said, giving up a #2 center, a top 4 elite offensive defenseman, and a young NHL player who has upside to be a top 6 two-way forward (coming off a 47 point season) and you're getting back that top 4 defenseman and a center who is better suited for a 3rd line? No thanks.

You’re giving up a #2 center that also makes more money than anyone else in the team and is probably on the back 9 of his career. In a vacuum krejci is a #2 center but he didn’t have a strong playoff and he had an average year. 44 points for 7.25 million isn’t good value. So the team gets worse I guess statistically going from krejci to rask. But it also opens up a ton of financial flexability going forward. I also think (much like how we did this with debrusk, heinen, bjork) you kind of just throw frederic, donato, and JFK into the pile in the middle 6 center spot and hope one sticks. So maybe it ends of being one of those 3 who outperform rask and end up on line 2 while rask slots in as an upgrade over Riley Nash. I think 44 points out of one of those 3 young guys is feasible. I think the downgrade from last year to this year offensively is also mitigated by the production you hope to obtain from bjork vs heinen and the added production of Ilya. There’s a chance the team is better up front. And with krejcis contract off the books, locking in mcavoy, debrusk, donato, Carlo to extensions is even easier. The defense takes a step back offensively no doubt but I think it takes just a big a step forward defensively swapping krug for hanifin. I think playing him with mcavoy makes mcavoy better and playing chara with carlo makes that whole pair better.

I’m just saying that there’s a chance that the team is better with that trade and acquisition of kovulchuk. But the team is definitely better off long term financially with that move. It clears one of the 3 bad contracts off your books. And regardless what people think of krejci (I think he’s a good #2) that’s still 2 million dollars more a year than he is worth

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was listening to the Bobcast yesterday. I was floating around the pool doing it so I may have not heard it correctly and such, but I remember McKenzie saying that his rankings are from the panel of 10 scouts he talks to. I believe he does around 70-90 of each's top prospects and develops his list from that. But I thought he also made mention that he doesn't factor in where he believes they would be taken and that his list is solely based off of talent.

I could be wrong though. There was a lot going on with the podcast. If I am, my apologies.

I could be wrong, but I always thought it was the opposite, lol.

Craig Button would always do the talent rankings (and a mock separately), but in the past I could have sworn that McKenzie talked to scouts, but also FO types to meld the two together and put together an accurate list of where prospects would be drafted.

I want to say that one year a ways back he hit on something like 26/30. I will see if I can find it.

Edit: you were right I think? Here is an article from the Hockey Writers discussing McKenzie and his hit ratio. The author does say that McKenzie slots the players based on a consensus from scouts and FO types and not the teams picking.

https://thehockeywriters.com/4th-annual-nhl-mock-draft-2015-round-1/

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Do what Burke did to Chia with Kessel, and tell him we are looking at Offersheeting Nurse. Offer a trade first, see if anything reasonable can be worked out.

I would go as high as 6 million long term for Nurse. If he was our property, I would be bridge dealing 4.5 X2 years to really see what you have before we commit.

I would ideally want to get him at 5.4 X 5 with a few comparables like Slavin/Lindholm/Ristolainen. But understandably you would need to overpay to get Chiarelli to really be in a bind. Chia is going to want to go the bridge route, while he works on clearing up cap room.

But if you can force his hand with the threat of an offersheet, I would definitely explore that road. Maybe you get Nurse in a trade that doesn't hurt you too much. Or maybe you just give up a 1st+3rd in an offersheet. Acquiring Nurse would let you move one our better D prospects for help elsewhere.

You know you have to have your own 1st to offer sheet anyone right?

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Kovalchuk will talk with Bruins, GM says
"We're going to just talk to his camp," said Sweeney, who said Kovalchuk was likely to be at the meeting but didn't say when it would take place. "He's got things that he's looking for and we'll see where it goes."

"I don't think it's a problem integrating into the NHL," Sweeney said. "How he fits onto your team, the dynamic there, where he plays, those are things that obviously are unknowns. You can project and predict, but until the coach gets him on the ice and puts him in places, you just never know. But as far as the NHL, no concern there."

"He's a guy who plays in your top six, helps your power play. He's a big, strong guy (6-foot-3, 230 pounds) that can score goals," Sweeney said. "And he wants to win. He's coming back over here for a chance to win."

"Financially, I just don't think it's doable [signing Kovalchuk and Rick Nash] unless you're really doing something to change things around to open things up," Sweeney said of signing Kovalchuk and Nash. "It's more of the [NHL salary] cap implications of exploring both those players. Any team would say, 'Well, boy we're a better team.' That's just not realistic. I've been honest about that.

"But we've had conversations with Rick's camp as well. … You just stay in communication. I think Rick enjoyed his time here. We enjoyed having him. The injury was a factor at times, but he represents a lot of stuff that we needed. So we've got to continue to explore those things, and see how the jigsaw puzzle fits."

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Bruins' Ilya Kovalchuk Pursuit Could Factor Into Decision on Top Line
Sweeney also acknowledged that pairing Krejci with Pastrnak is "an option" for them going into the 2018-19 season, but also that Nash could stay in the fold and resume his role as the No. 2 right wing. Now, you could switch in the name "Kovalchuk" and have the same situation - except Kovalchuk would give him even more flexibility.

"Whether or not it’s a player from the outside, whether that’s Rick Nash, whether somebody goes up and plays, I think Bruce [Cassidy] is excited about sort of the younger forwards and the options that he has to try some of those things," Sweeney said. "I don’t think anything is set in stone. It’s certainly a coach’s decision, but we’ll have some conversations. We feel that our top six – I think Rick Nash from a size and puck protection standpoint, gave us something that was maybe missing in that regard, so we’re cognizant of it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia