All Bruins rumors/proposals: The Long Off-Season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Yeah at this stage he's a number 2.

Ideally he's a second pair d on a good team. Good player but imo a complimentary piece at this point of his career. Though he and Z would be scary together this is true.

That said I agree you'd have to add to Loui to get him. Nothing outrageous but you'd have to add.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
A number one defenseman for a third line winger is not even in anybodies world. Bruins would have to include a lot more then Loui to get Buff. Winnipeg is so deep with prospects I can't see any kind of fit here, unfortunately.

In what universe is Dustin Byfuglien a number one defenseman? :laugh:

The guy averaged the 4th most minutes on the team among defensemen.

He's a forward that they decided to put on the back end.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Since his first game in Boston.

So you're defining level of winger by the level of his center, not ice time, points, +/-, Corsi, goals, assists or any other measure ?

So does this mean Seth Griffith was a 1st line RW for a while last year? Eric Cole was a "1st line winger" because he played there in Dallas? Brian Gionta is a 1st line winger? All the better wingers playing below those guys were inferior because their centers were, despite the fact they played more and produced more?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
He probably pointed to Toews' contract and said "this". Probably not even close to what the Kings were willing to give.

If he gets to UFA, he'll get close to it... Probably at least 9m long term. He's only 28 and you could argue he's a top 10/15 center easily. He's won two Cups, I highly doubt he'll take a hometown discount.

Krejci to LA to reunite with Lucic, bring Kopitar in and sign long term. Profit?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
In what universe is Dustin Byfuglien a number one defenseman? :laugh:

The guy averaged the 4th most minutes on the team among defensemen.

He's a forward that they decided to put on the back end.

The same one that Eriksson is a top 6 forward, hyperbole vs hyperbole. I still take Buff any day over Eriksson. Cannot wait for his contract to be up and he becomes a Devil.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Krejci to LA to reunite with Lucic, bring Kopitar in and sign long term. Profit?

Ehh. Bergeron = Kopitar, IMO. Kopitar is a bit better offensively, but he's streaky. Very close. Bergeron is in his own league defensively. We have Bergeron for the next 7 years at 6.75, not sure I want ANYONE at 9-10m for the next 8 years, especially not another two-way forward.

If we're trading Krejci it should be for a young #1D that can be part of the core we have locked up long term with Rask/Bergy. But I doubt he's traded, anyway. That's another weird thing with LA, what the hell are they gonna do with Lucic past this season? If they lose Kopitar and Lucic for nothing, especially giving up such big pieces of their future this season, they'll be the next team to implode next season.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So you're defining level of winger by the level of his center, not ice time, points, +/-, Corsi, goals, assists or any other measure ?

So does this mean Seth Griffith was a 1st line RW for a while last year? Eric Cole was a "1st line winger" because he played there in Dallas? Brian Gionta is a 1st line winger? All the better wingers playing below those guys were inferior because their centers were, despite the fact they played more and produced more?

I am defining him by watching him and what I see is a 3rd line wing that kills penalties. There are people that like Loui and people that can't stand him, i am in the can't stand him category. Most overrated player I have ever seen, heard all about how underrated he was when the trade for him was made, what I have figured out is that he wasn't underrated, he was what he is, a complimentary wing who is OK, nothing more, nothing less. No physical play, not fast, does not excel in any one area. He is the Nissan Versa of hockey players, bland, boring but does the basics right. No more, no less.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
The same one that Eriksson is a top 6 forward, hyperbole vs hyperbole. I still take Buff any day over Eriksson. Cannot wait for his contract to be up and he becomes a Devil.

Eriksson finished 89th in the league in scoring on the 8th worst offense in the league. Last time I checked...30 teams, 6 forwards per team (in the top 6), 30x6=180. He is EASILY a top 6 forward. Even if you look at PPG, he drops to 113, which is still clearly a top 6 forward. On a bad offensive team in a down offensive year, he still finished where he did. Stop kidding yourself.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
What about the Lucic waiting to play for Vancouver article :laugh:

He's so going home

That would be hilarious, as I have heard every Canucks fan here state that they don't want him, the minute he put on the Canucks sweater he would be everyone's favorite player bar none.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Eriksson finished 89th in the league in scoring on the 8th worst offense in the league. Last time I checked...30 teams, 6 forwards per team (in the top 6), 30x6=180. He is EASILY a top 6 forward. Even if you look at PPG, he drops to 113, which is still clearly a top 6 forward. On a bad offensive team in a down offensive year, he still finished where he did. Stop kidding yourself.

Stop using sense. He's a 3rd liner. Just because.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Since his first game in Boston.

Maybe you could ask then why Julien plays him like a 1st liner and in every situation?
Sure you can look the roster on paper but if you actually watch the games you see he isn't a 3rd line winger.

Top 2way wingers in the game, great on pk and plays on every situation and even last year he was a top6 scorer in the league,
next year probably 50+ point player.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I am defining him by watching him and what I see is a 3rd line wing that kills penalties. There are people that like Loui and people that can't stand him, i am in the can't stand him category. Most overrated player I have ever seen, heard all about how underrated he was when the trade for him was made, what I have figured out is that he wasn't underrated, he was what he is, a complimentary wing who is OK, nothing more, nothing less. No physical play, not fast, does not excel in any one area. He is the Nissan Versa of hockey players, bland, boring but does the basics right. No more, no less.

The only thing I would argue with is that you are wildly underrating the value of doing the basics right, and he doesn't just do them right, he does them exceptionally well. When he is in the corner battling for loose pucks he comes out with the puck, and he does it more than anyone on his team including Bergeron. He gives very few pucks away, always makes smart decisions in all three zones, and is probably a top 25 defensive forward. On top of those things he's good, not great, offensively. That's his defense.

Can't argue with the knocks on him. He's got average speed, kinda lousy shot if you ask me, average finish, above average vision but not elite. He wasn't worth what was given for him, but he's easily a top 6 forward and well worth his salary and then some. Close to the least of our problems save for the fact he's a constant reminder of a weak trade and he doesn't solve any of our glaring needs.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
If we're trading Krejci it should be for a young #1D that can be part of the core we have locked up long term with Rask/Bergy. But I doubt he's traded, anyway. That's another weird thing with LA, what the hell are they gonna do with Lucic past this season? If they lose Kopitar and Lucic for nothing, especially giving up such big pieces of their future this season, they'll be the next team to implode next season.

This. I used to argue on here constantly that our #1 priority was finding another legit top line forward to replace Seguin/Horton/Iginla.

I still think this is important (a #2 priority...) now that Hamilton is gone and we have no obvious Chara heir apparent, our #1 priority now has to be acquiring a young #1D. Someone of Shattenkirk's stature; whether via trade or drafting. My ideal candidate would be Shattenkirk (who I don't think the Blues have the cap space to re-sign in two years) or trading for a higher pic or tanking radically this year in order to draft Jakob Chychrun.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...=243386&team=&year=&status=&leagueid=&season=

If we draft Chychrun next year, I think he's going to be good enough to step into a top pairing role beside Chara, the way Ekblad was able to do last year. Check it:

Super rookie Chychrun looks better than young Ekblad

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/19/super-rookie-chychrun-following-ekblads-footsteps

If we need to give up an Eriksson or a Krejci to do acquire a Shatty or a pic to draft Chychrun, then pull the trigger (and for the record, I also think Eriksson is a walk on top 6 winger).

Otherwise, no way in hell I'd give up either for Buff, who I'd never sign to a long term contract (I envision him showing up at training camp at 350lbs in year 3 of a long term contract).

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
This. I used to argue on here constantly that our #1 priority was finding another legit top line forward to replace Seguin/Horton/Iginla.

I still think this is important (a #2 priority...) now that Hamilton is gone and we have no obvious Chara heir apparent, our #1 priority now has to be acquiring a young #1D. Someone of Shattenkirk's stature; whether via trade or drafting. My ideal candidate would be Shattenkirk (who I don't think the Blues have the cap space to re-sign in two years) or trading for a higher pic or tanking radically this year in order to draft Jakob Chychrun.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...=243386&team=&year=&status=&leagueid=&season=

If we draft Chychrun next year, I think he's going to be good enough to step into a top pairing role beside Chara, the way Ekblad was able to do last year. Check it:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/19/super-rookie-chychrun-following-ekblads-footsteps

If we need to give up an Eriksson or a Krejci to do acquire a Shatty or a pic to draft Chychrun, then pull the trigger (and for the record, I also think Eriksson is a walk on top 6 winger).

Otherwise, no way in hell I'd give up either for Buff, who I'd never sign to a long term contract (I envision him showing up at training camp at 350lbs in year 3 of a long term contract).

If we don't draft/trade for a young defenseman with top pairing/preferably #1 potential by the start of next year, I'll be very disappointed. I was under the impression Hamilton was traded for such little return because Sweeney had a plan to bring in another, especially since the #3 pick to Boston was such a big rumor that day.

Obviously things turned out different, we got a great defensive prospect in Zboril and a guy who will hopefully be a good supporting player in Miller, but we still don't have that #1 potential guy unless one of our prospects is a huge surprise. Without a great #1D you cannot win a Cup. The only exception to this in the past couple of years was Pittsburgh in 2009. Other than that, Chara, Keith, Doughty, Lidstrom... You need a guy of that caliber. We'll have two draft picks next year, wouldn't surprise me if both were high. We have two great goaltending prospects who will have more value come next year. KoKo is going to get tired of not having an opportunity in the NHL. Package what futures that are expendable to get a guy like Chychrun... Then I'll be happy. I don't think trading Krejci is the answer and I don't think we will trade him. Krejci started the season injured, was out for months, then played injured for the rest of the year. I think because of what happened last year Krejci seems expendable... It's happened on this board before when he had a disappointing season. I think he'll have a good year next year. The Krejci/Bergeron tandem was and is crucial to our success and I have no doubt management sees it as our future.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

That said, they're not getting Byfuglien for him. Buff's a big time impact player.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

We've talked about this before but have to do whatever it takes to land Chychrun, our prospect pool wold be gold after that and we'd be top teams in the East for a long long time without cap hell fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad