All Bruins rumors/proposals: The Long Off-Season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
If the players who were paid to scored actually scored, this team would have made the playoffs. While I won`t disagree I would have liked Tuukka to play a bit less, I don`t think he was too fatigued

Those shootout losses will haunt me for a long time.

if they win 75% of them, they're fighting with the Habs for top spot.

ugh.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I guess the issue here is Boedkker good enough to slide up to 1st/2nd line minutes? I don't know enough about him.... or could someone like JVR be looked at and run belesky on the 3rd line?

Boedker is a good middle six wing. He plays about the same minutes as Bergeron, but has never hit 20 goals.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Except they have Vasilevskiy waiting in the wings who appears to be just as good or better.

Yes I know but I doubt he is ready to be a true #1 in this league that fast.

Boedker is a good middle six wing. He plays about the same minutes as Bergeron, but has never hit 20 goals.

He also plays for Arizona and hit 51points(19goals) with them a year ago.
Scored 14 goals in 45 games this year.
He'd be a great fit with Spooner, strong skater with a strong 2way game, 25y and has weight on him(210).
The best part of course is that he has score against Price :laugh:

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yes I know but I doubt he is ready to be a true #1 in this league that fast.

He also plays for Arizona and hit 51points(19goals) with them a year ago.
Scored 14 goals in 45 games this year.
He'd be a great fit with Spooner, strong skater with a strong 2way game, 25y and has weight on him(210).
The best part of course is that he has score against Price :laugh:

Yeah, but if he is going from 17-18 minutes a game to 15 minutes a game PLUS not being a prime power play player like he was in AZ, I would expect his numbers to go down. I like him, I just think this team has other guys like him. I want to save the cap space to grab a core guy, hopefully on the D side of things, not for a guy who would just replace Loui on the 3rd line and keep Koko, Heinen, and DeBrusk out of that slot.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, but if he is going from 17-18 minutes a game to 15 minutes a game PLUS not being a prime power play player like he was in AZ, I would expect his numbers to go down. I like him, I just think this team has other guys like him. I want to save the cap space to grab a core guy, hopefully on the D side of things, not for a guy who would just replace Loui on the 3rd line and keep Koko, Heinen, and DeBrusk out of that slot.

I really doubt his points would go down with us, why wouldn't he be a pp guy with us?
He also could be a great fit with Krecji or Bergeron, plays both sides.

Re-signing Lou/getting a repacement for him wouldn't stop us from getting a top pairing D and those kids won't be ready for years, ready to give us the same value as Lou does, are the trades again against the law, that we can't trade that player when the prospects are ready?

We have around 3.5M now with a healthy roster, .900M cap penalty, 2.7M Lucic penalty, Kelly off the books and like I've said Seids 4M who must be traded next season/offseason, there's no reason why we can't have strong top9 and strong top6D group.

We have a team full of holes and we would like to create more holes in the lineup by trading Lou for picks and wait for the kids to be ready, if Heinen has a great 2nd year and Connolly steps up we can talk about trading Lou for picks but not as we sit right now`, we can do trades when we have prospects ready, not years before. Can we also know if DeBrusk will be a better player for us than Boedker?, I highly doubt Koko would be a better winger for us.

Others can hate me :laugh: but right now I kind of hope we would sign Yandle, I think with him we could make the pairings work, have one of the best offensive bluelines in the league and strong defensive D at the same time.
If we could have a top offensive blue line instead of one of the worst it would have a huge effect in our forwards scoring and we would see a lot better stats from them, we'd be a playoff team :laugh:

Yandle has prime years left and he should fill the gap well until our top prospects are ready to take their places, we can't expect any of the prospects to be ready to be true 1st pairing D's when Chara leaves.
We wouldn't be contenders for a long long time and we would waste prime of our core guys.
I'm not a fan of Buff signing and again if we sign Yandle/top pairing D they don't have to finish their contracts with us if needed.
I'd love to get Shattenkirk but I doubt it.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I really doubt his points would go down with us, why wouldn't he be a pp guy with us?
He also could be a great fit with Krecji or Bergeron, plays both sides.

Re-signing Lou/getting a repacement for him wouldn't stop us from getting a top pairing D and those kids won't be ready for years, ready to give us the same value as Lou does, are the trades again against the law, that we can't trade that player when the prospects are ready?

We have around 3.5M now with a healthy roster, .900M cap penalty, 2.7M Lucic penalty, Kelly off the books and like I've said Seids 4M who must be traded next season/offseason, there's no reason why we can't have strong top9 and strong top6D group.

We have a team full of holes and we would like to create more holes in the lineup by trading Lou for picks and wait for the kids to be ready, if Heinen has a great 2nd year and Connolly steps up we can talk about trading Lou for picks but not as we sit right now`, we can do trades when we have prospects ready, not years before. Can we also know if DeBrusk will be a better player for us than Boedker?, I highly doubt Koko would be a better winger for us.

Others can hate me :laugh: but right now I kind of hope we would sign Yandle, I think with him we could make the pairings work, have one of the best offensive bluelines in the league and strong defensive D at the same time.
If we could have a top offensive blue line instead of one of the worst it would have a huge effect in our forwards scoring and we would see a lot better stats from them, we'd be a playoff team :laugh:

Yandle has prime years left and he should fill the gap well until our top prospects are ready to take their places, we can't expect any of the prospects to be ready to be true 1st pairing D's when Chara leaves.
We wouldn't be contenders for a long long time and we would waste prime of our core guys.
I'm not a fan of Buff signing and again if we sign Yandle/top pairing D they don't have to finish their contracts with us if needed.
I'd love to get Shattenkirk but I doubt it.

Its not that he would be on the Boston PP, its that he wouldn't be the primary offensive option at forward here.

How many of the "we have an expensive guy we want to trade to make room for a cheap guy" trades do you really see? When they are too old or expensive for you, they are probably too old for them unless their contract is expiring. It sounds good in theory, I'm just not sure of the reality.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How many of the "we have an expensive guy we want to trade to make room for a cheap guy" trades do you really see? When they are too old or expensive for you, they are probably too old for them unless their contract is expiring. It sounds good in theory, I'm just not sure of the reality.

What's the plan, give up and wait for prospects to get ready while we waste our current core guys prime?

We have zero 1st line wingers today and we could afford to trade Lou and just expect Koko to replace him? We'd be bottom teams in the league.
If we would be ready to rebuild I would get this, but we want to win and be a playoff team, it's not going to happen with 4-5 huge holes in the lineup.

I don't know why it would be way too difficult to trade players especially with the cap hits Lou or Boedker would get in few years time, I want to win and we are not going to win with this plan, what happened when we lost Iginla and JB and replaced them with players who clearly weren't good enough?
But again if Heinen is having a great year and Connolly steps up we have more room but just to trade Lou without replacements and get a new D player gets us nowhere.

I would hate the most if we would be an average team without hope, average team that is maybe a wild card team and not bad enough to get top picks, I would just hate it.

Last edited:

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
I'm not holding my breath for anything to happen before training camp now.

Franson? I'd be surprised if he's brought in now. But who knows, maybe he and his agent cave in

Given what he did for Nashville (nothing special), the smart move would have been to get signed in July while there is money to spend and the feeling of competition. Now he will probably be signed on a one-year deal.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Those shootout losses will haunt me for a long time.

if they win 75% of them, they're fighting with the Habs for top spot.

ugh.

Exactly. And for most of it the general idea seemed to be "we don't like the shootout...what can we do?"

Mindless.

Just throwing away points.

Panic. Go crazy. Throw wild high risk/high reward moves.

Nope. For most of the year it was the same guys throwing the same 3 weak moves.

Futile.

I didn't agree with many of the reasons to fire Clode, but the team's disregard for SO points was a fireable issue.

Just being below average would have got them in.
The darn thing is worth a point! The whole reason they step out on the ice is 2 points.

WTF.

There should have been panic and despiration, not acceptance.

Zac Rinaldo*

Exactly. And for most of it the general idea seemed to be "we don't like the shootout...what can we do?"

Mindless.

Futile.

I didn't agree with many of the reasons to fire Clode, but the team's disregard for SO points was a fireable issue.

The darn thing is worth a point! The whole reason they step out on the ice is 2 points.

WTF.

the shootout at its most rudimentary level is so anti-clode conceptually lol. here's a mode of play that relies almost entirely on unpredictability, spontaneity, creativity, and offensive intuition and talent on an individual level.

you could read the description of the event to julien and watch him turn his head back and forth impulsively, puckering his lips like a baby in a high chair that doesn't want to eat food from a spoon being forced near its face

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal

Mindless.

Futile.

WTF.

For sure. The B's lack creativity in the shootout, they don't have the best danglers BUT it seemed they weren't even trying to be creative. I mean, you might as well go all out in the shootout and try something new. After a while last season I knew they were going to lose in the shootout. Too predictable and too redundant. Spice it up for goodness sake.

This year they should go with the best danglers. Top 3 shooters should be Pastrnak, Bergeron and Marchand/Belesky/ whoever else that can deliver.

I don't care who has had a good game or who is "deserving" to be in the shootout, it's not how it works. You go with your best danglers and shooters. Claude can be pretty stingy though but he also has to change. This is not 2011 anymore.

Zac Rinaldo*

For sure. The B's lack creativity in the shootout, they don't have the best danglers BUT it seemed they weren't even trying to be creative. I mean, you might as well go all out in the shootout and try something new. After a while last season I knew they were going to lose in the shootout. Too predictable and too redundant. Spice it up for goodness sake.

This year they should go with the best danglers. Top 3 shooters should be Pastrnak, Bergeron and Marchand/Belesky/ whoever else that can deliver.

I don't care who has had a good game or who is "deserving" to be in the shootout, it's not how it works. You go with your best danglers and shooters. Claude can be pretty stingy though but he also has to change. This is not 2011 anymore.

or give koko a roster spot

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal

Yeah why not? Look at a guy like P.A Parenteau last year. He wasn`t great in the lineup but I saw him win many games in the shootout. That = points. How bad can Koko be on the 4th or 3rd line? Put him in the shootout and you can win a few more games which would have meant the playoffs last year.

Claude has to be open to new things this year, his job is certainly on the line.

Zac Rinaldo*

Yeah why not? Look at a guy like P.A Parenteau last year. He wasn`t great in the lineup but I saw him win many games in the shootout. That = points. How bad can Koko be on the 4th or 3rd line? Put him in the shootout and you can win a few more games which would have meant the playoffs last year.

Claude has to be open to new things this year, his job is certainly on the line.

agreed mostly. of course, you can also pick your spots with a player like him on offensive zone fo's. plus the pp.

i support him being given a shot just based on skill for the same reason i support morrow and c. miller being given a shot: you're not going to win the cup this year.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

Yes. Give Koko a spot. I've been arguing for Koko-Spooner-Pasta super kiddy fun line for a while now. I know...no chance. But fun.

Koko better learn to play wing or get out.

I've heard the arguement that the Bruins forwards aren't creative or slick before...but if you can teach a dog to run through an obsticle course...you can teach a professional hockey player two moves...where if the goalie guesses wrong, it's a lay-up...and if he guesses right...slammed shut...

If points are on the line for this one trick, the Bruins should hire a assistant to train for that trick.

No matter how bread & butter these guys are...they can learn two high risk / high reward moves each.

And if the goalies adapt...like to the Bergeron move...learn another...

Spend some time.

It's just points.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Top 8 players are graded way too high

I don't have a problem with many of the grades and if anything I think some of the grades are a little low. I'd even agree with the writers top-4 prospects, just maybe not in that order. After that it goes a little haywire. What has Joe Morrow done to separate himself from Khokolachev? Why is Griffith so high? Heinen needs to be much higher and the writer mistakenly confused him being the third highest scorer in the NCAA for being the third highest freshman scorer in the NCAA, still an impressive feat. The lack of Arnesson and especially O'Gara on the list are concerning.

IMO top-20 Prospects in no particular order:
Pastrnak
Spooner
Subban
Heinen
Morrow
C.Miller
Khokolachev
Carlo
DeBrusk
Senyshyn
O'Gara