Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'll take Z and a cup you can have Bourque and his records. To belittle Z and say he's no Bourque is garbage. And for the record unlike Bourque Z will bring something of value in trade if the Bruins where dumb to trade him.

Don't think he was belittling him. I know I am not, but still, Chara is no Bourque. Take whomever you please, but overall, it's just the way it is.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
The trade rumors for Chara and Marchand were refuted by Pierre Maguire on TSN 690, echoing similar sentiments from Dreger and McKenzie earlier in the day.

Ah, good ole Haggs.
screen-shot-2014-11-30-at-4-12-34-pm.png

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Haggs just needs to go away. Biggest misinformation troll in the Boston papers and he just gets worse every year.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Boy I would love to see us make a Ference-like move for next season. An exact player of his caliber (when acquired), a stand up guy to build on.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Don't think he was belittling him. I know I am not, but still, Chara is no Bourque. Take whomever you please, but overall, it's just the way it is.

What does this even mean? Start a team today and in their peak you take Bourgue over Chara ? The Bruins had MANY great teams during Bourque's time here and he did zero with it. Oh we made the playoff's a ton.

Like I said give me the man that changed the culture and respectability of the team when he arrived and accomplished what Bourque couldn't do.

Not saying Bourque was not a great player (HOF) lets not under rate Chara and all the things he's done for our team (and still is)

And I believe unlike a few posters that Chara would bring back a boat load if and when he's traded. (if he's a healthy Chara)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
[/B]

What does this even mean? Start a team today and in their peak you take Bourgue over Chara ? The Bruins had MANY great teams during Bourque's time here and he did zero with it. Oh we made the playoff's a ton.

Like I said give me the man that changed the culture and respectability of the team when he arrived and accomplished what Bourque couldn't do.

Not saying Bourque was not a great player (HOF) lets not under rate Chara and all the things he's done for our team (and still is)

And I believe unlike a few posters that Chara would bring back a boat load if and when he's traded. (if he's a healthy Chara)

:handclap:

At the end of the day they are both hall of famers.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Thank you.

By no means was I belittling Chara. Love the guy as a player, captain and person.

But its somewhat surprising that any Bruins fan would think he is comparable in any way to Ray Bourque.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Thank you.

By no means was I belittling Chara. Love the guy as a player, captain and person.

But its somewhat surprising that any Bruins fan would think he is comparable in any way to Ray Bourque.

That we can agree on, different animals, apples and oranges .

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
And Krejci is no Adam Oates. What's your point? Trade value is what the market will bear.

I don't even believe we got a lot for Bourque because we were doing a favor by trading him to a team that gave him the best chance to win the championship as his career was winding down.

We got 3 players and a 1st round pick for Bourque back in the day.

The premise presented was Bruins could get a lot for Chara (at this age), look what they got for Bourque. Didn't think that was relevant, considering Bourque is easily a top 10 and perhaps a top 5 all-time defenseman.

And your point is well taken, trade value is what the market will bear.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
[/B]

this is an absurd argument and I wonder if you've ever seen a Bruins game prior to 2006.

The Bruins did not have many great teams during Bourque's run here. Sinden was extremely cheap (they took Bourque himself to arbitration) and never gave him the supporting cast needed to make a real cup run. They had some good teams and came close in spite of lack of depth but never had any "great" teams, let alone "MANY". This is illustrated by the fact that it only took Ray a year and a half to win a cup after being traded to a team that actually went all-in for the cup. Hockey is after all a team game.

Anyway, I'm probably wasting my breath because anyone who has the viewpoint that a man's legacy is measured only by his team's results has a flawed understanding of the whole premise of team sports so this is an unwinnable argument.

But the bottom line is that Ray Bourque is unequivocally better than Zdeno Chara and is certainly a top 4 D-man EVER, and arguably number 2 of all time.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
this is an absurd argument and I wonder if you've ever seen a Bruins game prior to 2006.

The Bruins did not have many great teams during Bourque's run here. Sinden was extremely cheap (they took Bourque himself to arbitration) and never gave him the supporting cast needed to make a real cup run. They had some good teams and came close in spite of lack of depth but never had any "great" teams, let alone "MANY". This is illustrated by the fact that it only took Ray a year and a half to win a cup after being traded to a team that actually went all-in for the cup. Hockey is after all a team game.

Anyway, I'm probably wasting my breath because anyone who has the viewpoint that a man's legacy is measured only by his team's results has a flawed understanding of the whole premise of team sports so this is an unwinnable argument.

But the bottom line is that Ray Bourque is unequivocally better than Zdeno Chara and is certainly a top 4 D-man EVER, and arguably number 2 of all time.

About 10 years prior to you hanging your Ray Bourque poster on your bedroom wall. Thank you though for the education :laugh: Never said he was better than Bourque. Now lets get back to the trade rumors.

Elvis P

Runnin with the Devil
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Chara's no Ray Bourque.
Agreed. Chara is a top 45 dman all-time, but Tremblay was better and he got snubbed by the HHoF (Chara won't be) and Rob Blake was almost as good as Chara. Bourque is top 3 all time behind only Orr and another guy and ahead of guys such as Lidstrom, Potvin, and Fetisov. Except for both being Bruins, there is no comparison between the 2. My Bruins top 6 dmen and their all time dmen rank is:

#1 Orr - #3 Bourque
#4 Shore - #11 Park
#24 Clapper - #42 Chara

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
If they were going to trade Chara, why didn't they do it *before* they dissected the team to take it *away* from more youthful options?

I am not seeing a sound, solid, well thought direction with this team if this rumour turns out to be true.

Trade Chara, and you may as well get rid of Rask cos it's a fire-sale and a full fledged rebuild at that point.

Talk about taking a team from the Penthouse, to the Outhouse in less than a year.

Which rumor?

The one that claimed the Bruins were "Quietly gauging the value of veteran players?"

I guarantee you that it's true. It's called a GM doing his job.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Just here to add context.

Bourque was traded to Colorado with fellow veteran Dave Andreychuk for Brian Rolston, Martin Grenier, Sammy Pahlsson, and a first-round draft pick, #27 (Martin Samuelsson)

Rolston turned out to be a decent player. Paulssons played 17 games for the B's and was shipped to Anaheim for Aandrei Nazarov & Patrick Traverse. Grenier was a bust and Samuelsson wasn't all that much better (combined the two played roughly 30 NHL games).

That deal got Ray a cup, but it was a train wreck for the B's.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just here to add context.

Rolston turned out to be a decent player. Paulssons played 17 games for the B's and was shipped to Anaheim for Aandrei Nazarov & Patrick Traverse. Grenier was a bust and Samuelsson wasn't all that much better (combined the two played roughly 30 NHL games).

That deal got Ray a cup, but it was a train wreck for the B's.

Agree- Ray apparently wasn't thrilled to go Colorado and it was supposed to be Philadelphia but Bobby Clarke would not give up Simon Gagne who was just breaking in

Boston had 2 first round picks and wiffed as bad as could be on both - historical bad first round

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agree- Ray apparently wasn't thrilled to go Colorado and it was supposed to be Philadelphia but Bobby Clarke would not give up Simon Gagne who was just breaking in

Boston had 2 first round picks and wiffed as bad as could be on both - historical bad first round

Should be noted that Colorado was only 4 games over .500 at the time of the trade.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Should be noted that Colorado was only 4 games over .500 at the time of the trade.

This is true, but if memory serves, COL was still a strong Cup favorite because both Sakic and Forsberg missed significant time earlier in the season. Sakic played only 60 regular season games and Forsberg didn't start his season until December.

Adding Bourque to Foote and Ozolinsh really solidified the Avs D.

Elvis P

Runnin with the Devil
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
My favorite :sarcasm: Bruins 1st round picks are:

Evgeni Ryabchikov-Goalie
Lars Johnsson-Defense
Shayne Stevenson-Right Wing
Jonathan Aitken-Defense
Rob Cimetta-Right Wing/Left Wing
Dave Pasin-Right Wing
Dmitri Kvartalnov-Left Wing