Krejci going no where - he's gog 2 things in his favor

Sweeney from my understanding is a big fan

The contract NMC

Heinen will find a spot on lower teo lines at C or be tried at LW

Like I said I wasn't trading Krejci but asking if we could see potentially
Heinen
Bergeron
Krejci
on the last few years of their contracts.

I don't think Krejci-Bergeron 1-2 duo can be strong enough for the next 6 years for us to be contenders.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I am a huge Loui fan and would love to see him resigned- and also keep Marchand.

If you keep Marchand, Eriksson, and Beleskey you have three players that will all be in their 30's on the left side in a few years making likely around $15 M or so combined.

Logically I just don't see it.

You have kids like Vatrano and DeBrusk who are left wingers- same with Heinen who may be the best of them all.

ISS in an article I read said Boston may not have can't miss guys at the top of their prospects but they are very deep and skilled at EVERY position; they are in an strong position to ice a very competitive team with their inventory in the system.

I'll go so far as to say I can envision both ERIKSSON & MARCHAND gone by no later than June 2017.

My friends keep saying watch the Bruins and Vesey. He's that good and he is a natural LW. If they get Vesey I would not be buying a Marchand jersey unless its 50 % off.

Loui can play the right side also. It's not like we've got a ton of RWs. I'm all for signing Loui. Connolley, Loui, and Pasta would not be a bad RW trio.

Is Heinen really that highly rated? Can someone give me some more info on him.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Loui can play the right side also. It's not like we've got a ton of RWs. I'm all for signing Loui. Connolley, Loui, and Pasta would not be a bad RW trio.

Is Heinen really that highly rated? Can someone give me some more info on him.

Where do you put Hayes? Even if you threw Loui where he belongs (on the left), there still won't be a spot there. Marchand, Vatrano, Beleskey. DeBrusk in the pipe. These are things Sweeney should be thinking. If we do lock up Eriksson, it clogs up the youth movement. Hence why I think Eriksson will get traded. Everybody is all dandy with throwing 5+6 million at him, so then we keep our defense where it's at? I personally don't see him re-signing.

Didn't Friedman say Loui will be traded this year? He's not the type of guy to just come out and say that.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Where do you put Hayes? Even if you threw Loui where he belongs (on the left), there still won't be a spot there. Marchand, Vatrano, Beleskey. DeBrusk in the pipe. These are things Sweeney should be thinking. If we do lock up Eriksson, it clogs up the youth movement. Hence why I think Eriksson will get traded. Everybody is all dandy with throwing 5+6 million at him, so then we keep our defense where it's at? I personally don't see him re-signing.

Didn't Friedman say Loui will be traded this year? He's not the type of guy to just come out and say that.

We're betting on guys that are a few years away. I like Hayes, don't get me wrong, but I can't see both him and Connolly being considered long-term solutions, and Connolly has more talent.

Personally, I'd rather trade some of those prospects, free up the log jam, and go get a Seth Jones or another high end, young defenseman.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Didn't he say they tried this last year/offseason and would think that would continue?
But Lou has played so damm well that Sweeney could easily change his plans.

Also Eriksson is our best winger and Hayes and others should go before him if we want to win soon, and I like Hayes but we need top talent badly.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Didn't he say they tried this last year/offseason and would think that would continue?
But Lou has played so damm well that Sweeney could easily change his plans.

Also Eriksson is our best winger and Hayes and others should go before him if we want to win soon, and I like Hayes but we need top talent badly.

No arguments here. Loui has been very good, but I can't see how he is apart of future plans. It just doesn't make any sense. Not even a little bit. He should bring back a hell of a return, so lets hope he keeps it up.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
No arguments here. Loui has been very good, but I can't see how he is apart of future plans. It just doesn't make any sense. Not even a little bit. He should bring back a hell of a return, so lets hope he keeps it up.

We either have to sign him, or we have to do the trade. I think what Loui brings defensively, on the PK, and with his versatility, he could certainly fit into the long-term plans.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Edit:
This is one tough situation to be in for Sweeney, Lou is a 1st line talent and expecting kids to step up and replace him is a big ask, if it works then fantastic, but if not then :help:
I feel we are close to being contenders 2016-17 but at the same time we can push ourselves quite far this year with wrong move/moves.

I think that Lou decision will be the toughest one Sweeney has to make in the next few years.
Marchand will be easier, we know what happened with Eriksson, have a much better idea how the prospects are doing and where's the cap.

I like that we have these probelms due to our forward prospect pool depth, can't believe how it's turned around from year ago.
Hard to find room for everyone but for Lou I would try to find space.

Lou trade probably would be something I can hate/like at the same time.
I like the idea of having a very young, promising winger group to try to build a longterm contender team but at the same time I'd hate to lose a player of Lou's caliber and like said risk Krejci-Bergeron duos prime.
If Vesey works out then it would make this easier.

Last edited:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Dear Trader Don,
Grab Duchene after the game in a deal. Trade Krug, Koko and a pick.
Don't let him leave Boston.
Thank you.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
You can't have him getting that on this team.

Why?
Bergeron, Krejci, Eriksson, Marchand is a solid forward core to build this team around as the yutes transition over the next 3-5 years.
He's not an NFl running back - 30 years old isn't ancient in the NHL.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why?
Bergeron, Krejci, Eriksson, Marchand is a solid forward core to build this team around as the yutes transition over the next 3-5 years.
He's not an NFl running back - 30 years old isn't ancient in the NHL.

It's not, but it is a lot older with the speed of today's game than it was 15 years ago.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'm a huge Loui fan but no way I sign him for 6M/5Y. 3 year deal max I'd give the 6 to compensate for the shorter term. Full NTC/1t year,15 team list 2nd year, no NTC 3rd year get the deal done before TDL or trade him then.

At some point we need to stop signing ageing players to long term deals all dressed with NTC/NMC. I don't care who we are talking about. We need to learn from all of Chia's mistakes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It's not, but it is a lot older with the speed of today's game than it was 15 years ago.

I disagree.
Ages of Art Ross, Hart, Lindsey, Conn Smythe, Norris, over the past decade illustrate how good hockey players are good hockey players no matter their age.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
'Illustration'
not trying a strawman argument
just that, if anything, older players are more successful now than they have been since the late 60s

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree.
Ages of Art Ross, Hart, Lindsey, Conn Smythe, Norris, over the past decade illustrate how good hockey players are good hockey players no matter their age.

Your talking about elite-level guys when your talking Norris, Hart, etc. winners. Their elite-level hockey sense will allow them to play at a high-level later in their careers. That's why a player like Bergeron I wouldn't be as worried about. His game was never about having great wheels.

I wouldn't put Eriksson or Marchand in that category. Both are very good players even today. Neither are or ever have been close to the level of guys who have won major awards. Eriksson might sustain his current play longer than Marchand because like Bergeron his game isn't speed dependent and his hockey sense is very good, not quite Bergeron's level, but still very good none the less. Still his game has declined from what it was 5 years ago.

I'd give Eriksson nice money, 5-6 million. But I just wouldn't give him the term. If they can get him locked up at say 3 years then I'd do it.

But we've already seen the mid-level guys start to get squeezed out of the league much sooner than they would have even a few years ago. Salary cap has a lot to do with it. But the increased speed of the game simply caters to younger legs. How many mid-level guys the last couple summers waited and waited and only got PTOs and are now out of the league altogether. And Marchand and Eriksson are slightly above mid-level guys today, who know's where they'll be in 3-5 years. Expect that trend to continue.

Don't forget we've just gone through a generation of players who've experienced half-season's off twice now (lockouts 1994-95 and 2012-13) and a full season off in 2005. That extended the careers of quite a few players who otherwise would of likely lost their effectiveness sooner.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Your talking about elite-level guys when your talking Norris, Hart, etc. winners. Their elite-level hockey sense will allow them to play at a high-level later in their careers. That's why a player like Bergeron I wouldn't be as worried about. His game was never about having great wheels.

I wouldn't put Eriksson or Marchand in that category. Both are very good players even today. Neither are or ever have been close to the level of guys who have won major awards. Eriksson might sustain his current play longer than Marchand because like Bergeron his game isn't speed dependent and his hockey sense is very good, not quite Bergeron's level, but still very good none the less. Still his game has declined from what it was 5 years ago.

I'd give Eriksson nice money, 5-6 million. But I just wouldn't give him the term. If they can get him locked up at say 3 years then I'd do it.

But we've already seen the mid-level guys start to get squeezed out of the league much sooner than they would have even a few years ago. Salary cap has a lot to do with it. But the increased speed of the game simply caters to younger legs. How many mid-level guys the last couple summers waited and waited and only got PTOs and are now out of the league altogether. And Marchand and Eriksson are slightly above mid-level guys today, who know's where they'll be in 3-5 years. Expect that trend to continue.

Don't forget we've just gone through a generation of players who've experienced half-season's off twice now (lockouts 1994-95 and 2012-13) and a full season off in 2005. That extended the careers of quite a few players who otherwise would of likely lost their effectiveness sooner.

I would say Lou is a winger version of Bergeron.

But this will be interesting, could Sweeney actually trade both Marchand and Eriksson if he especially is able to sign Vesey?
That's 10M savings and wingers group would be very young, cheap, fast and set up potentialy for years and years.
With that Sweeney would definitely make Boston his own team.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would say Lou is a winger version of Bergeron.

But this will be interesting, could Sweeney actually trade both Marchand and Eriksson if he especially is able to sign Vesey?
That's 10M savings and wingers group would be very young, cheap, fast and set up potentialy for years and years.
With that Sweeney would definitely make Boston his own team.

Let's not compare a 3x Selke winner with Eriksson, whose a very good two-way winger and a valuable player, just because their play-style have some similarities. Eriksson is no Bergeron. If Bergeron was put on the trade market 29 teams would be beating on Boston's door to get him. Eriksson while he has value I can guarantee there are some teams who would have zero interest in him unless the Bruins are about to give him away, which they aren't and shouldn't. There is no comparison between the two really.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
There's little chance Loui is resigned in my opinion. There is going to be an unprecedented collection of high quality UFA's at the end of this year, and the money is probably gonna be spent on someone who fits the Bruins mould.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad