Proposal: ALL Bruins rumors/proposals IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I don't think anyone (at least no one reasonable) is suggesting that. I think what DKH and others are getting at is that long-term there probably won't be a place for all 3 of Loui/Marchand/Beleskey. With Loui and Marchand nearing the end of their deals decisions will have to be made about who to keep. So the valid point is being raised that it may make sense to trade a guy like Loui while you can get something for him and avoid committing big money to him when he's not in your long-term plans.

Sure you can extend Loui and Marchand at market value, but then you're back in "cap hell" again in a couple years and have less leverage in moving either guy.

So yeah I don't think anyone is saying trade them and replace them with prospects next year. just that it might make sense to cut bait on one or both of them and then maybe sign or trade for a cheaper option as a bridge until the kids are ready.

That's reasonable logic. I'd just hope at that point the front office is honest with the fans that they're in a rebuilding phase. We've witnessed many prospects drafted with high hopes only to fall flat. Moving top-6 wingers & banking on rookies to fill those roles is either a risky move or a rebuild.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If they want to extend Loui and Marchand I have no problem with that as long as there isn't a crippling full NTC. Better yet, none at all so you can move them when you have to.

Even a limited NTC must come with teams they'd accept a trade to now and not at some random point where they can just name teams with no cap space to kind of block a deal.

I fully expect them to move a d-man or try hard. But wouldn't expect a major return

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If they want to extend Loui and Marchand I have no problem with that as long as there isn't a crippling full NTC. Better yet, none at all so you can move them when you have to.

Even a limited NTC must come with teams they'd accept a trade to now and not at some random point where they can just name teams with no cap space to kind of block a deal.

I fully expect them to move a d-man or try hard. But wouldn't expect a major return

I'd be worried if Chiarelli were still GM here that both Eriksson & Marchand would be extended long term with full NTC. Sweeney seems sharp thus far. I'd hope he'd look to do shorter term on both of them (or at least Eriksson). Agreed on the NTC. I think both those guys can be moved in 2 years at trade deadline.

Looking around the league, is it safe to say that typically (on average) it takes prospects drafted in the 5-15 range at least 4 years to make an impact from the time they're drafted?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Just makes you wonder how much Lou/Lucic can ask this year.
29 when the contract kicks in and 1 over 40 point season under his belt.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I am a huge Loui fan and would love to see him resigned- and also keep Marchand.

If you keep Marchand, Eriksson, and Beleskey you have three players that will all be in their 30's on the left side in a few years making likely around $15 M or so combined.

Logically I just don't see it.

You have kids like Vatrano and DeBrusk who are left wingers- same with Heinen who may be the best of them all.

ISS in an article I read said Boston may not have can't miss guys at the top of their prospects but they are very deep and skilled at EVERY position; they are in an strong position to ice a very competitive team with their inventory in the system.

I'll go so far as to say I can envision both ERIKSSON & MARCHAND gone by no later than June 2017.

My friends keep saying watch the Bruins and Vesey. He's that good and he is a natural LW. If they get Vesey I would not be buying a Marchand jersey unless its 50 % off.

I still disagree. $15M on left wingers might not be ideal but is manageable.
I want Khokholachev to be good but I'm not willing to trade away Krejci to give him a spot.
I want the kids to succeed as much as anyone but Eriklsspn is the (respect to Marchand) best winger Boston has for the next three years (Pastrnak)
Question to ask is - Is there one kid on the team or in the system that can bring what Eriksson can bring over the next four years?
I don't know what he's looking for or if he'll resign but I'm not adverse to a big contract for a lot years.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I recently read in a Fluto article that Eriksson and his agent have not been approached by Sweeney on any contract negotiations. Which could mean absolutely nothing, but it could mean something.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I recently read in a Fluto article that Eriksson and his agent have not been approached by Sweeney on any contract negotiations. Which could mean absolutely nothing, but it could mean something.

Unless that something is really nothing. :)

Unless that nothing is really something. :nod:

Mind bending aside, I *do* think Sweeney would have at least approached Eriksson or raised the idea of negotiations, if re-signing was in the cards.

Though, I think Dom, DKH, and others with more knowledge on these things might think otherwise. Perhaps it's not unusual. But does seem unusual to me.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'd love to take a risk with DeBrincat if we have a top3/5 pick to go with it.

Would be hard to find teams I'd trade our prospect pool then.

Yeah, I could easily see DeBrincat fall out of top 5, to somewhere in the 8-15th, due to size issues. He's only 17, so there's time for him to bulk up (and even grow taller, although less likely). He could be a massive steal, another Pasta style pic.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, I could easily see DeBrincat fall out of top 5, to somewhere in the 8-15th, due to size issues. He's only 17, so there's time for him to bulk up (and even grow taller, although less likely). He could be a massive steal, another Pasta style pic.

Walking with 2 honest elite potential prospects would be a great start to Sweeney's Gm career, would have set up our prospect pool, made it from one of the weakest to one of the best in 1 year.

Pulju/Laine/Tkatchuk will be the most wanted wingers so DeBrincat can fall and quite far due to his size, but that makes me question our intrest in him.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

Just makes you wonder how much Lou/Lucic can ask this year.
29 when the contract kicks in and 1 over 40 point season under his belt.

True....but I find Abdelkader as one of those....kind of like Loui, he does a lot more than what stats suggest. That's a good contract for him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
True....but I find Abdelkader as one of those....kind of like Loui, he does a lot more than what stats suggest. That's a good contract for him.

Sure for him, but Lou brings a lot on the table and can score 60 points instead of once 40points, if Lou wants he can be very expensive.

And that term :help:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Yeah it was
"Some NHL executives have speculated Chicago and Nashville could also be approved teams"
http://www.tsn.ca/sharks-marleau-would-look-favourably-on-a-trade-1.391918

Looks promising this year.

I'd love to take a risk with DeBrincat if we have a top3/5 pick to go with it.
Would be hard to find teams I'd trade our prospect pool then

I can bet you now, DeBrincat, unless Boston drafts him, will end up at the Habs or the Pens of some **** organisation that will bite us in the ass. Speed to burn and oozes skill, if we can get D early and hes available I absolutely go for him, size or not.

Saying that....I will be watching Puljujarvi close in the WJC, I think he will shred it up for Finland.

and I really hope Sharks are tanking (makes no sense though considering we have their pick :laugh: but im all for it. Id say Marleau will end up at the Rags or some team in the East.

pps. Loving Jones sucking. A lot were having a big old cry saying we should have kept him and not Tuukka after his first 4 games, and now hes won 2 of his last 8 or whatever it is, AND WE'RE GONNA LIGHT HIS ASS UP LATER THIS WEEK!

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Sure for him, but Lou brings a lot on the table and can score 60 points instead of once 40points, if Lou wants he can be very expensive.

And that term :help:

Of course, in a perfect world Loui would sign a contract near to, or the same as he is on now, for 2/3 years max. But does he do it> I doubt it. We need him on a short 'sweet' contract. I feel that Boston right now is right on the edge of either making a trade and returning to a super power in the East, or botching a trade and being mediocre kind of the same as it felt leading up to the cup. We're not far off...but the next move(s) will determine how Boston shakes out the next few years.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Walking with 2 honest elite potential prospects would be a great start to Sweeney's Gm career, would have set up our prospect pool, made it from one of the weakest to one of the best in 1 year.

Pulju/Laine/Tkatchuk will be the most wanted wingers so DeBrincat can fall and quite far due to his size, but that makes me question our intrest in him.

We drafted several huge wingers last year. I hope we'd be willing to look at a smaller player, but one with huge upside in terms of speed and skill.

DeBrincat might even be available mid 1st round... possibly even later.

I've always said, NHL Central Scouting overrates size and often underrates smaller players.

Gaudreau is 5'9, 157 lbs, and the 5th overall in scoring right now, behind only Kane, Seguin, Benn, and Wheeler.

He was drafted in the 4th round, 104th overall.

Last edited:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast

The money is alright, but the term is horrible.

You don't give players 7 year long contracts anymore. You just don't.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
We drafted several huge wingers last year. I hope we'd be willing to look at a smaller player, but one with huge upside in terms of speed and skill.

DeBrincat might even be available mid 1st round... possibly even later.

I've always said, NHL Central Scouting overrates size and often underrates smaller players.

Gaudreau is 5'9, 157 lbs, and the 5th overall in scoring right now, behind only Kane, Seguin, Benn, and Wheeler.

He was drafted in the 4th round, 104th overall.

This is an ugly two headed monster. Once the Bruins picked a style of player as they did and against the will of many here. Now if they go back and draft a DeBrincat this place could go down in flames. :laugh: :laugh:

jdz

May 22, 2013
The money is alright, but the term is horrible.

You don't give players 7 year long contracts anymore. You just don't.

i see no reason why there should be a hard and fast rule.

Theres always a risk and reward to every deal.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
and I really hope Sharks are tanking (makes no sense though considering we have their pick :laugh:

Still makes sense for them to tank.
Trading Marleau and Thornton for skilled youngsters speeds up their rebuild.
Sure it makes our pick better, but it will make their team better in the long run as
well, and their GM surely would see that as well.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

I'd say more like Belesky. He's a hard working career bottom-6 guy that happened to score 20+ goals last year on high percentage shooting. Although Abdelkater has found a nice niche on the PP and inside the Detroit top-6. Maybe he sustains it. You never know.

Money isn't terrible for a hard nosed 2nd/3rd line tweener. Similar to Belesky. That term though. Yikes. He'll turn 36 in the final year of that deal. Guys who play like him tend to flame out hard without warning. Wouldn't want to tie myself to a player like that much later than 30.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Unless that nothing is really something. :nod:

Mind bending aside, I *do* think Sweeney would have at least approached Eriksson or raised the idea of negotiations, if re-signing was in the cards.

Though, I think Dom, DKH, and others with more knowledge on these things might think otherwise. Perhaps it's not unusual. But does seem unusual to me.

Alright, since you asked.

Sweeney went to Harvard correct?

Perhaps he's smart enough to know about the tagging rule and extending Loui now may put him in jeopardy if he attempts to add someone this season and actually place Kelly on LTIR and use that space.

I mean, I have a grade 8 education and can figure that out so I'm sure the Harvard grad can.

IMO, no reason to extend him before trade deadline day and place yourself in a bind.

Just my two cents worth.

Now, I introduce DKH to explain the tagging rule and how RFA and UFA extensions apply

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Still makes sense for them to tank.
Trading Marleau and Thornton for skilled youngsters speeds up their rebuild.
Sure it makes our pick better, but it will make their team better in the long run as
well, and their GM surely would see that as well.

If they get back 1st round picks it's smart. As for 7 year deals, it will always favor the player. They become complacent. Why should they play at a high level every game, when they are all set for the next 7 years. It's a bad way to go. 4-5 years is good because the player still has to sign another couple of contracts. No NTC. You can't hamstring the team with these two things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad