Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I've been trying to avoid being the proverbial turd in the punch bowl, but what will happen when Rask goes from superhuman to merely tremendous? If he starts playing at a 2.00 GAA and a .930 save percentage, which would still be wonderful, what will those results look like?

Well, when that happens we better hope that Krug, Bergeron and Krejci aren't all on pace for BY FAR their worst seasons ever. These things will even out.

Bruins are a scoring middle 6 forward and top 4 d-man short. Are they better off waiting for the kids to fill those voids or giving up assets and cap space to plug the holes now?

Last edited:

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
I've been trying to avoid being the proverbial turd in the punch bowl, but what will happen when Rask goes from superhuman to merely tremendous? If he starts playing at a 2.00 GAA and a .930 save percentage, which would still be wonderful, what will those results look like?

Last year Rask gave up 2 or less goals in 55% of his starts.

This season he's at 72%.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Do you think Liles has been good? He has 4 points in 19 games, even though he is here for his puck moving. He is also a minus 3, and his advanced stats are all under water.

Liles has been just meh for me. a couple times a game he makes some really smart moves to get himself some more time or space, but i still want to see morrow on the power play instead..

last night i just kept thinking. why doesnt spooner just stay with st. louis and we can take yakupov and a fifth rd pick for him.. spooner needs a fresh start, and just a new system to hit reset on.. yakupov , can even take spooners spot on the pp so we can actually get a sniper (i realize hes yet to prove that in the nhl) out there. would be better than krejci sending slow wobblers from the blue line

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Do you think Liles has been good? He has 4 points in 19 games, even though he is here for his puck moving. He is also a minus 3, and his advanced stats are all under water.

Agreed. Have no issue with liles as 7th on depth chart but if he's starting 6 we need to upgrade

The only dimension I'm comfortable pencling into a playoff caliber starting 6 are

Carlo/chara
X/x
Killer/krug

I have hope for morrow
Not much hope for chiller
And liles and Macquaid are what they are

I'd try to include 2 from this leftover list in my effort to find a new middle pair

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Last year Rask gave up 2 or less goals in 55% of his starts.

This season he's at 72%.

Goaltenders get dialed in. We've all seen dozens of guys get on a roll and have career years. Rask has the raw talent that this high level of play is more normal for him then last seasons career worst was

It's a frustrating position to predict success but when your goalie gets in the zone there's no reason to fear the worst. This isn't Steve penny or Brian boucher. Rasks career numbers are pretty much the best in all hockey when I stack them against anyone else

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Would the Bruins be interested in Ceci or a package of Ceci + Lazar + 1st? If so, who would be available?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Liles has been just meh for me. a couple times a game he makes some really smart moves to get himself some more time or space, but i still want to see morrow on the power play instead..

last night i just kept thinking. why doesnt spooner just stay with st. louis and we can take yakupov and a fifth rd pick for him.. spooner needs a fresh start, and just a new system to hit reset on.. yakupov , can even take spooners spot on the pp so we can actually get a sniper (i realize hes yet to prove that in the nhl) out there. would be better than krejci sending slow wobblers from the blue line
Spooner easily has more value than Yak

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
any of these guys from a TSN article of interest?

http://www.tsn.ca/vegas-bound-tsn-s-cream-of-expansion-crop-1.613628

Here are the Top 10 players projected to be available, according to TSN Hockey:
I wouldn't mind doing something around Spooner for Brodin. Although he's not going to produce a whole heck of a lot, he can carry the puck, play defense well, and can play both LD and RD.

Would the Bruins be interested in Ceci or a package of Ceci + Lazar + 1st? If so, who would be available?
I don't think much is currently available from a Bruins perspective. I don't think Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, and Pastrnak are going anywhere any time soon. Carlo is untouchable, Chara will most likely retire a Bruin, and Krug, although he's currently struggling, will probably remain a Bruin. So I'm not so sure the Bruins would be the right fit for Ottawa if they are banking on a big return that improves their roster by trading that Ceci + Lazar + 1st package. Ceci may be of interest to the Bruins, but apart from someone like Spooner and prospects not much else is probably available. Ottawa can probably get a lot more from someone like Edmonton for Ceci or that package. In my opinion, I also don't think getting a RD is a necessity for the Bruins because of Carlo's emergence and McAvoy being ready soon. Like I mentioned above, I would prefer a Spooner for Brodin trade which allows the Bruins to ice:
Chara - Carlo
Krug - Brodin

And when Chara eventually retires in a few more years, Brodin can be moved to LD. Nice avatar by the way. ;)

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Agreed. It all comes down to the difference in Rask's play anyways, as those four guys listed are basically a dime a dozen, and Liles is terrible.. Your goalie has a .942 svpct and 1.57 gaavg, so everyone is going to look good defensively.

Well, regardless of Rask, the team is 4th in shots allowed and the Bruins are tied for FIRST in scoring chances allowed (with MIN) in all situations (according to corsica.hockey).

Pacing the Bruins shot suppression? Why, that would be Morrow and Liles, actually. Now, OF COURSE, they are getting easy assignments and zone starts... but Liles is doing just fine as a Morrow/Colin mentor.

Bruins just need to continue what they are doing on the backend (a tall order with both Chara and Carlo's age) and some freaking goals.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I'm all for the idea of moving Spooner for someone more shoot first (or a D)... but Yak is not the answer.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Trading Spooner for a guy like Brodin or Shattenkirk would make a lot of sense right about now. If Chara is out for long, the defence will be totally exposed.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Been saying that all along, Brodin would be perfect for this team now and in the future. Cant imagine the Wild would like to do that right now, but i would be on the phone until they acept a trade.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
after taking the last 15 mins to look at everyones depth chart at center... I don't really see a team that has room for ryan spooner on its top 2 lines with the exception of Arizona... and even they have both max domi and Dylan strome projecting to be better players in the near future.

anyone dealing for him is in the same problem we are... he doesn't play defense good enough to be an ideal 3rd line guy... doesn't score enough to be a surefire 2nd line guy... doesn't do well on the wing

it looks like a frustrating situation for us... but if spooner does play hardball on his next contract I hope we don't bend over for him. I just cant see any other teams that are going to look at him as their answer.

now more than ever... if I was boston... id be calling Arizona and seeing if I could get something useful for spooner because spooner is a poor fit for us

maybe we can talk Ottawa into a 1-for-1 trade for Curtis lazar since lazar can play wing... if Ottawa wants the hometown boy

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Pretty sure Domi is a LW. I do think they have to make a decision on whether they think Spooner is good for Boston. I would prefer to have him move on instead of paying him. Boston has enough wing prospects that can replace him internally in my opinion as well, especially Left shots.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015

liles is the pits... I'd rather see morrow play over him when k miller comes back

chara-carlo
krug-kevan
morrow-mcquaid

2M wasted, sort of like jimmy hayes.... B's brass needs to 9th floor these guys more often. not saying they should waive liles, but a few games in the press box may change his tune a little. disappointed so far in liles, nash, hayes
super happy with moore and Schaller tho

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
based on some tsn guys talking about anaheims pickle for expansion protection I'd be looking to make a move for fowler and tie in Jacob silvferberg.
they have to protect 4 d and 4 forwards (I believe Theodore needs protection)

we can make things a little less stressful for them while benefioting ourselves here.

spooner, 1st rnd pick + (??) for those two?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
based on some tsn guys talking about anaheims pickle for expansion protection I'd be looking to make a move for fowler and tie in Jacob silvferberg.
they have to protect 4 d and 4 forwards (I believe Theodore needs protection)

we can make things a little less stressful for them while benefioting ourselves here.

spooner, 1st rnd pick + (??) for those two?

Theodore does not. Fowler has also played exceptionally for the Ducks and Murray has stated he will let this team make a run. If he trades a defenseman it will be after the season before the draft.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
With Vatrano on the mend it is time to make a pitch for Brodin.

Spooner + either McQuaid or K. Miller + 1st

for

Brodin

With Chara out:

Brodin - Carlo
Krug - Quaider or K. Miller
Liles - Morrow or C. Miller

With Chara in:

Chara - Carlo
Krug - Brodin
Liles - Morrow or K. Miller or McQuaid

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With Vatrano on the mend it is time to make a pitch for Brodin.

Spooner + either McQuaid or K. Miller + 1st

for

Brodin

With Chara out:

Brodin - Carlo
Krug - Quaider or K. Miller
Liles - Morrow or C. Miller

With Chara in:

Chara - Carlo
Krug - Brodin
Liles - Morrow or K. Miller or McQuaid

I'd put the odds of Minnesota dealing one of their 5 D-men before the trade deadline at about ONE percent.

I'd put the odds of Minnesota dealing on of their 5 D-men for assets that would require expansion protection like Spooner and Miller/McQuaid at ZERO percent.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'd put the odds of Minnesota dealing one of their 5 D-men before the trade deadline at about ONE percent.

I'd put the odds of Minnesota dealing on of their 5 D-men for assets that would require expansion protection like Spooner and Miller/McQuaid at ZERO percent.

They'd lose one of their existing dmen to Vegas.

I don't think they'd care to lose McQuaid or Miller + they'd be acquiring a 1st

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They'd lose one of their existing dmen to Vegas.

I don't think they'd care to lose McQuaid or Miller + they'd be acquiring a 1st

There is time after the season before the expansion draft to make a trade as well. There is also possible to bribe Vegas to not take a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad