Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I actually think they're in a pretty good place cap-wise. According to Capfriendly, yhey have accrued almost $4m in cap space so far, and are projected to have almost $13m by the deadline. In another month they should be able to add whoever they want.

Why does the cap amount go up in a month Bill? Do you feel as though DS has moves in mind at that point?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
IMO, guys like Moore, Schaller, Nash and Liles are one of the reasons this team is where they are right now. The margin for error when it comes to goals for/against and how it affects wins & losses is so small... Compare this current group to our -20something 4th line of kids last year, and the difference is night and day. These guys are dependable in their own end, which means they take pressure off the defense. They help out on the PK, and they've also contributed with some offense of their own, scoring 8 goals in 18 games. Heinen was second only to Czarnik in terms of being the best rookie in training camp, and he went 0 for 7 games.

These guys don't take up any more cap space than a rookie, and they're not signed long-term so if a guy like Kuraly or Acciari come into the lineup for injuries and show they're as good or better, then that gives you depth now, and the ability to transition to those younger players next year. Whereas if we go into a season depending on those kinds of unknowns to deliver (like we did last year) and they struggle (like they did last year) then you start every game spotting the opposition zone time, scoring chances and goals.

Honestly, one of the reasons I was more optimistic about this season was the upgrades made to the 4th line.

I been over to Warrior rink and you see Moore & Backes spending extra time with the younger players helping them so it goes even beyond games

Eventually we may see Acciari & Kuraly former a physical/defensive presence on that 4th line - they are older rookies but fit the Claude mold

Moore has been very good so far

Well said Bill and looking forward to your recap from tonight's BU-Harvard game

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I actually think they're in a pretty good place cap-wise. According to Capfriendly, yhey have accrued almost $4m in cap space so far, and are projected to have almost $13m by the deadline. In another month they should be able to add whoever they want.

NEXT years cap with Marchand, Spooner, Pastrnak getting $$$ bumps is the issue (for the non-rental route)

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Why does the cap amount go up in a month Bill? Do you feel as though DS has moves in mind at that point?

It has to do with how the cap is calculated. Each day they don't spend to the cap creates a pool of unused money that they can spend on pro-rated contracts later in the season. The longer they wait, the more money they have to spend (and the less a player costs).

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I been over to Warrior rink and you see Moore & Backes spending extra time with the younger players helping them so it goes even beyond games

Eventually we may see Acciari & Kuraly former a physical/defensive presence on that 4th line - they are older rookies but fit the Claude mold

Thanks. I'd lump Liles in with that group too. Watch him at practice or even listen to the game audio from Behind the B and he's constantly teaching and talking to his young partner.

I'm very excited for the game tonight. The recap will have to wait until after I watch the B's on DVR though. :)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks. I'd lump Liles in with that group too. Watch him at practice or even listen to the game audio from Behind the B and he's constantly teaching and talking to his young partner.

I'm very excited for the game tonight. The recap will have to wait until after I watch the B's on DVR though. :)

You read this? Phenomenal piece. She's great and they know it and know her so that is why Chara gives up this grand slam of information. Hilarious to think folks want him to give up captaincy.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/zdeno-chara-and-brandon-carlo-make-a-unique-pair/c-283693394

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Yeah, but, you know intangibles and leadership are way overrated compared to analytics. I'm sure a 19 year old could bring what Moore does for 100k less:sarcasm:

Backes, Moore and to a lesser extent Nash and McQuaid bring intangibles players last year didn't. I think this team may come back when trailing, last year I didn't think they were mentally tough enough. Add Krug and Marchand taking on bigger leadership rolls and I like what this team looks like. (Would like it more with Randell in Hayes' spot but I have faith)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, but, you know intangibles and leadership are way overrated compared to analytics. I'm sure a 19 year old could bring what Moore does for 100k less:sarcasm:

Backes, Moore and to a lesser extent Nash and McQuaid bring intangibles players last year didn't. I think this team may come back when trailing, last year I didn't think they were mentally tough enough. Add Krug and Marchand taking on bigger leadership rolls and I like what this team looks like. (Would like it more with Randell in Hayes' spot but I have faith)

Bruins actually are killing analytics :laugh: second in league in Corsi behind only tonight's opponent

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
NEXT years cap with Marchand, Spooner, Pastrnak getting $$$ bumps is the issue (for the non-rental route)

Then just go rental for offensive depth. I don't see a top 4 D being added without a few years left on the contract.

Cap will go up, Chara's hit should go down I believe, clear out Hayes for an entry level deal and they should have money for Pastrnak and Spooner, if Spooner isn't used as trade bait. I expect K.Miller or (sadly) McQuaid to be in Vegas next year which clears more space.

For the complaints against Sweeney I like how he has handled the cap and think it may be one of his stronger areas.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruins actually are killing analytics :laugh: second in league in Corsi behind only tonight's opponent

I know, I just believe there is more to winning and building a team than numbers. Some don't. I've always said they should be used but very far down the list when evaluating a player. I always take a Backes over an Eriksson.

Arizona hired an analytics guy as new GM, that doesn't seem to be going so well. (Shane Doan by the way would be a nice piece as a top 9 forward if he agreed to move)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I know, I just believe there is more to winning and building a team than numbers. Some don't. I've always said they should be used but very far down the list when evaluating a player. I always take a Backes over an Eriksson.

Arizona hired an analytics guy as new GM, that doesn't seem to be going so well. (Shane Doan by the way would be a nice piece as a top 9 forward if he agreed to move)

I am with you 100%. Agree on Doan but he has a mega ranch and probably won't leave

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I get the allure of a Cup would be enticing, maybe not Boston per se, but in general. But if you're Shane Doan, at 40 years old, why leave at this point? Had plenty of chances to do so and never did.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I wonder if 2 trades make us a cup contender?

Spooner, macquaid, and our first for Martin hanzal and Michael stoner with salary retained

Then the second deal with Philly for Mark streit sending them c. Miller and Jimmy Hayes. Maybe a pick if there is a bidding war for streit.

We get out needed pp qb taking pressure off Krug. All 3 guys are ufa solving our cap worries for the next couple years

This new roster is a contender imho

Pastrnak/bergeron/marchand
Backes/krejci/vatrano
Czarik/hanzal/belesky
Nash/moore/schaller
Arccaria/kuarley

Carlo/chara
Stoner/streit
Killer/krug
Liles/morrow

Rask
Kubuhudin

And I think we can do this without hurting the rebuild... The experience we gain for the kids offsets the loss of sooner and the pick

Loosing Spooner opens room for heinen or karlsson to make the team. I don't resign any of these 3 free agents. Open a spot on defense for zboril and avoid to compete for next year

I think we would want to sign a CHEAP lhs dean vet as insurance but not long term. Maybe sign liles to expose him in expansion draft.

It's a bit crazy but obviously choral like didn't leave us in ruins... And it sure seam like Sweeny has been making a lot of good decisions since he took over too.

I'm glad I'm a Bruin fan and happy for the success we've had this decade after a rough period of time in the late 1990 and early 2000

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yes to the first, edit missed the 1st. No to trading that.
No to the second. Morrow and Colin have bot played fine, no need for Streit.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if 2 trades make us a cup contender?

Spooner, macquaid, and our first for Martin hanzal and Michael stoner with salary retained

Then the second deal with Philly for Mark streit sending them c. Miller and Jimmy Hayes. Maybe a pick if there is a bidding war for streit.

We get out needed pp qb taking pressure off Krug. All 3 guys are ufa solving our cap worries for the next couple years

This new roster is a contender imho

Pastrnak/bergeron/marchand
Backes/krejci/vatrano
Czarik/hanzal/belesky
Nash/moore/schaller
Arccaria/kuarley

Carlo/chara
Stoner/streit
Killer/krug
Liles/morrow

Rask
Kubuhudin

And I think we can do this without hurting the rebuild... The experience we gain for the kids offsets the loss of sooner and the pick

Loosing Spooner opens room for heinen or karlsson to make the team. I don't resign any of these 3 free agents. Open a spot on defense for zboril and avoid to compete for next year

I think we would want to sign a CHEAP lhs dean vet as insurance but not long term. Maybe sign liles to expose him in expansion draft.

It's a bit crazy but obviously choral like didn't leave us in ruins... And it sure seam like Sweeny has been making a lot of good decisions since he took over too.

I'm glad I'm a Bruin fan and happy for the success we've had this decade after a rough period of time in the late 1990 and early 2000

I think adding the 1st is an over-payment on Boston's part. Spooner + McQuaid + B-level prospect should get it done.

I think they'd probably do it for Spooner and Kevan without an add as Kevan is a stronger analytics player. They might not have any interest at all in McQuaid just based on analytics alone.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think adding the 1st is an over-payment on Boston's part. Spooner + McQuaid + B-level prospect should get it done.

I think they'd probably do it for Spooner and Kevan without an add as Kevan is a stronger analytics player. They might not have any interest at all in McQuaid just based on analytics alone.

I'm always up for negotiations to get someone cheaper but when I lay my cards on the table I'm talking best offer. I wouldn't pay more but I'd go big

Does Spooner have first round value? I'd say no... I wouldn't trade our own first for Spooner but I think he is their first line guy until their kids develop. He's worth more than a rental of hanzal

But stone is only 27... Plays over 20 min... Is a 35 point guy... Has size

You aren't getting stone without a bidding war with a dozen other teams.

As for analytics... Sometimes teams with no identity and no character need some guys with character to turn around the losing. If I'm Arizona I add 3-4 guys like macquaid so my kids won't get beaten down and broken

Much like Edmonton brings in lucic maroon and kissing in the past 12 months and suddenly isn't being pushed around

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm always up for negotiations to get someone cheaper but when I lay my cards on the table I'm talking best offer. I wouldn't pay more but I'd go big

Does Spooner have first round value? I'd say no... I wouldn't trade our own first for Spooner but I think he is their first line guy until their kids develop. He's worth more than a rental of hanzal

But stone is only 27... Plays over 20 min... Is a 35 point guy... Has size

You aren't getting stone without a bidding war with a dozen other teams.

As for analytics... Sometimes teams with no identity and no character need some guys with character to turn around the losing. If I'm Arizona I add 3-4 guys like macquaid so my kids won't get beaten down and broken

Much like Edmonton brings in lucic maroon and kissing in the past 12 months and suddenly isn't being pushed around

I think Spooner's value is higher than many think, your odds of getting a 45-50 pt scoring forward in the 2nd half of the 1st round is pretty low.

Stone is a rental as well, although I agree other teams will be bidding (same with Hanzal).

I guess the advantage the Bruins have with a Spooner + Kevan package is they are offering current NHL players, as oppose to more picks and prospects like most teams looking for rentals will be offering.

I'd be willing to toss in a draft pick like a 2nd or 3rd to get it done.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think Spooner's value is higher than many think, your odds of getting a 45-50 pt scoring forward in the 2nd half of the 1st round is pretty low.

Stone is a rental as well, although I agree other teams will be bidding (same with Hanzal).

I guess the advantage the Bruins have with a Spooner + Kevan package is they are offering current NHL players, as oppose to more picks and prospects like most teams looking for rentals will be offering.

I'd be willing to toss in a draft pick like a 2nd or 3rd to get it done.

I enjoy debating these ideas but killer being signed probably doesn't have much value with the expansion draft. Arizona isn't going to be able to protect him and I doubt he goes unclaimed.

I can't guarantee macquaid will go unclaimed either but he's a throw in my offer... The first is the value

Arizona can always resign stone later so I think my offer has value to them but more importantly I think it has value to us too

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Just tell Shattenkirk to not bother packing up. Chara is down and the Bruins need a #2 RHD.

Krug - Shattenkirk
Chara - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid

...with a healthy forward lineup:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Beleskey - Krejci - Backes
Schaller - Spooner - Vatrano
Kuraly - Moore - Czarnik
Nash

...is an entertaining team with playoff potential.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I enjoy debating these ideas but killer being signed probably doesn't have much value with the expansion draft. Arizona isn't going to be able to protect him and I doubt he goes unclaimed.

I can't guarantee macquaid will go unclaimed either but he's a throw in my offer... The first is the value

Arizona can always resign stone later so I think my offer has value to them but more importantly I think it has value to us too

I'm not so sure.

Arizona might be one of the few teams I'd almost bank on going the 4 F/4D route. Most of their decent forwards are exempt.

Meaning they could protect Kevan if he was part of the offer.

Either way, I think we're in agreement on the overall framework.

And to be honest I'd prefer giving them McQuaid over Kevan, but I think Kevan has more value to them being a team heavily stressing the analytic stuff, which might lessen the rest of the package (Bruins would still need to give them Spooner) but maybe if it's Kevan over McQuaid you get the deal done with one of a 2nd/3rd/B-level prospect vs. perhaps like you said having it be McQuaid but now needing to include a A level prospect or a 1st.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just tell Shattenkirk to not bother packing up. Chara is down and the Bruins need a #2 RHD.

Krug - Shattenkirk
Chara - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid

Kuraly - Moore - Czarnik
Nash

That team would be great...but there is no way you are keeping Spooner/Krejci and getting Shattenkirk at the same time.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Krug - Shattenkirk
Chara - Carlo
Morrow - McQuaid

Kuraly - Moore - Czarnik
Nash

And who are you giving up for Shattenkirk ? Plus he's as much as a number one as Krug is

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
IMO, guys like Moore, Schaller, Nash and Liles are one of the reasons this team is where they are right now. The margin for error when it comes to goals for/against and how it affects wins & losses is so small... Compare this current group to our -20something 4th line of kids last year, and the difference is night and day. These guys are dependable in their own end, which means they take pressure off the defense. They help out on the PK, and they've also contributed with some offense of their own, scoring 8 goals in 18 games. Heinen was second only to Czarnik in terms of being the best rookie in training camp, and he went 0 for 7 games.

These guys don't take up any more cap space than a rookie, and they're not signed long-term so if a guy like Kuraly or Acciari come into the lineup for injuries and show they're as good or better, then that gives you depth now, and the ability to transition to those younger players next year. Whereas if we go into a season depending on those kinds of unknowns to deliver (like we did last year) and they struggle (like they did last year) then you start every game spotting the opposition zone time, scoring chances and goals.

Honestly, one of the reasons I was more optimistic about this season was the upgrades made to the 4th line.

Do you think Liles has been good? He has 4 points in 19 games, even though he is here for his puck moving. He is also a minus 3, and his advanced stats are all under water.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Do you think Liles has been good? He has 4 points in 19 games, even though he is here for his puck moving. He is also a minus 3, and his advanced stats are all under water.

Agreed. It all comes down to the difference in Rask's play anyways, as those four guys listed are basically a dime a dozen, and Liles is terrible.. Your goalie has a .942 svpct and 1.57 gaavg, so everyone is going to look good defensively.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Agreed. It all comes down to the difference in Rask's play anyways, as those four guys listed are basically a dime a dozen, and Liles is terrible.. Your goalie has a .942 svpct and 1.57 gaavg, so everyone is going to look good defensively.

I've been trying to avoid being the proverbial turd in the punch bowl, but what will happen when Rask goes from superhuman to merely tremendous? If he starts playing at a 2.00 GAA and a .930 save percentage, which would still be wonderful, what will those results look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad