Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdz

May 22, 2013
The sabres team build is awful and their management is awful.

I couldn't believe how bullish some were on them around these parts before the season started.

Also I've been saying it for years even before he went to Buffalo but you don't touch Evander Kane with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
I hear what you are saying, it is a gamble, but if it only cost Hayes, McQuaid and a B prospect like Fitzgerald I try it. Salary well Hayes and McQuaid together are close to what Kane makes. The other option I would look at is Jeff Skinner in Carolina I think he could be had fairly cheap maybe Cehlarik, K Miller and Subban. Then look to a guy like Michael Stone for our D addition and those could be two moves that help this team become a solid playoff team.

For skinner, their leading scorer, a decent prospect(cehlarik) a d-first bruiser and a plummeting asset in subban wont get it done.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Lee Stemniak would be 4th behind March Past Krej in points...how about Lee? Just kidding however Matt Moulson from Sabres I would like to see. 6 goals so far.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Lee Stemniak would be 4th behind March Past Krej in points...how about Lee? Just kidding however Matt Moulson from Sabres I would like to see. 6 goals so far.

If he was a rental I'd be fine with it, but 2 more years at 5 million sounds awful for someone to give less than 40 points.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
we cant take dead salary. pastrnak is going to get paid. marchands new deal kicks in. we cant spend money like drunken sailors on guys that have a total of 11 good games played in the past 3 years.

it might be worth bringing in a top dman... but a 3rd line winger at 5 mill is an insane investment.

lets try to focus on a deal that makes sense. i saw an idea around spooner and a dman for stoner and hanzal... i like that idea and it seams reasonable.

deal hayes just to get rid of the caphit... deal macquaid... again because of caphit this team has a real chance to be a contender with a couple tweaks

scoring is going to improve as krejci bergeron and krug find their game shape... and defense is solid if rask stays healthy.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
There aren't enough Cooke KO's to bring Kane in. That cap hit would have to be offset with Hayes, McQuaid and salary retained to make it work.

We'd all agree that he would be better than Hayes on the RW but cap would have to go out that is committed to next year and beyond to make it worthwhile.

And, he would have to KO another Cooke.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
What frustrates me is Krejci loading up one timers from 58 feet. His shot isn't good enough to do that in my opinion.

Agreed. They shoot from too far in general and that includes 5 on 3's. Krug needs to use his wrister, he constantly tees it up and gives the goalie time to adjust. He also tends to tee it up from bad angles with no traffic. He had a bad goal scoring year last year and is off to another bad start. When he was read hot he was using his wrister which is pretty darn good.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I still want to see what this team looks like when it's healthy, before I make any trades. I just think we still have a lot to learn...

What kind of impact will Vatrano have? What will the middle6 look like when he returns? Will Spooner go back to center?

What impact will K.Miller have? He looked very strong in camp. How will his return affect the lineup? Who will be the best partner for Krug?

Will there be any other kids called up? Cehlarik deserves a look, DeBrusk has had his moments.

Just too many questions right now to know what we need... Maybe they need to add a finisher to help convert all the shots they're generating? Is Dobby going to be a capable backup or do we need to look for help there? Will Carlo be able to keep it up as the #2? If so, do they need to add a #4D to play with Krug, or is there someone in the K.Miller/McQuaid/Morrow/C.Miller mix that could be that guy? Do they need long-term solutions or do you go for a rental for the playoffs and keep your options open with McAvoy next year?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I still want to see what this team looks like when it's healthy, before I make any trades. I just think we still have a lot to learn...

What kind of impact will Vatrano have? What will the middle6 look like when he returns? Will Spooner go back to center?

What impact will K.Miller have? He looked very strong in camp. How will his return affect the lineup? Who will be the best partner for Krug?

Will there be any other kids called up? Cehlarik deserves a look, DeBrusk has had his moments.

Just too many questions right now to know what we need... Maybe they need to add a finisher to help convert all the shots they're generating? Is Dobby going to be a capable backup or do we need to look for help there? Will Carlo be able to keep it up as the #2? If so, do they need to add a #4D to play with Krug, or is there someone in the K.Miller/McQuaid/Morrow/C.Miller mix that could be that guy? Do they need long-term solutions or do you go for a rental for the playoffs and keep your options open with McAvoy next year?

I'm fine waiting as well. I absolutely do not want to bring in someone with money and term that is a middling player at best (Kane, Moulson, ect).

I'm not sure what to expect from Vatrano, I think he'll be rusty at best and we probably won't see him in Boston until 2017 to give him time to get back up to speed.

As long as cap isn't an issue, I'm fine keeping all 8 on defense and just forgo the deadline defenseman. I think both Miller or McQuaid would be movable after the expansion draft.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I agree. It's it's a slam dunk/no brainer, I'd like the Bruins to stand pat for now and see how things play out internally.

The Bruins team has faltered down the stretch the past two seasons and I'm willing to bet the team's management is going to be very mindful of this fact in terms of keeping guys fresh and having enough players on the roster that can step in and help take the pressure off some of the guys playing most of the hard minutes right now.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

On one hand I agree. Many questions need to be answered about this team. And many answers might simply be sitting there internally.

And by no means does Sweeney need to force a move just to make a move. And if at some point everyone is healthy, a simple Hayes waiving/demotion takes care of any roster issues.

But at the same time, it would be nice if Sweeney dealt from a position of strength for a change. All of his deals seem to be pressured, whether it be the cap, trade deadlines, glaring need, etc. Perhaps take advantage of another team feeling the pressure to make a move for whatever reason and coming away with the best player in the deal. Easier to do when the Bruins are winning. No one wants to help a fellow GM in the midst of a 2 and 8 run.

Fact is, this team could use secondary scoring, help on D despite how well they have played and Carlo's emergence, and I'm not convinced that if Rask went down Khudobin has the goods to carry the load (he's an AHL caliber tender to these eyes).

I just think with the right move at the right time, this team could go from pretty good, to very good, and who would of thought that in September.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree. It's it's a slam dunk/no brainer, I'd like the Bruins to stand pat for now and see how things play out internally.

The Bruins team has faltered down the stretch the past two seasons and I'm willing to bet the team's management is going to be very mindful of this fact in terms of keeping guys fresh and having enough players on the roster that can step in and help take the pressure off some of the guys playing most of the hard minutes right now.

I'm with you here - let it play out thru December.

On New Years you are at 39 games if they are around 50 points they are in good shape

The AHL guys have had half a year of pro games and coaching.

The college and CHL kids have more experience

Reassess then

Is Quinn correct that McAvoy & JFK could jump right from college after their college year is done?

What's Vatrano at? Heinen? Cehlarik? DeBrusk?

Can a Ferlin get back on track

Anders Bjork? Can they sign and can he step in for a look

The answers will unfold the Bruins should have some good options they just need to do their part and be in the hunt

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
one guy i would be interested in is drew stafford from winnipeg. money is a little high, but hes ufa after this year. going to be coming back soon and always seemed like a guy that would fit in the b's system. could probably get him relatively cheap.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY

Reassess then

Is Quinn correct that McAvoy & JFK could jump right from college after their college year is done?

I thought I read on here that most of these college players are on good teams, that
will most likely go far in the college playoffs. They will still be playing in college when
the deadline for players to play in the NHL playoffs is passed. They would be eligible for regular season games but not the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I thought I read on here that most of these college players are on good teams, that
will most likely go far in the college playoffs. They will still be playing in college when
the deadline for players to play in the NHL playoffs is passed. They would be eligible for regular season games but not the playoffs.

Really? I remember being at a playoff game against I think Edmonton looking down and seeing John Bryce and I'm like wtf:laugh:

He just showed up like some Disney movie

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Really? I remember being at a playoff game against I think Edmonton looking down and seeing John Bryce and I'm like wtf:laugh:

He just showed up like some Disney movie

Is that the kid who popped in the puck to a mostly empty net in the first period of his first playoff game, or something similar?

Then there was the Joyce and Janney playoff. Though Bobby Joyce didn't end up translating very well into the NHL.

And I'm going to leave the Gruden-Rohloff tandem alone.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'm with you here - let it play out thru December.

On New Years you are at 39 games if they are around 50 points they are in good shape

The AHL guys have had half a year of pro games and coaching.

Reassess then

What's Vatrano at? Heinen? Cehlarik? DeBrusk?

Can a Ferlin get back on track

Anders Bjork?
Can they sign and can he step in for a look

The answers will unfold the Bruins should have some good options they just need to do their part and be in the hunt

Where do you want these guys to grab roster spots? There's a few 4th line vacancies coming and Liles. The brass did a wonderful job of making sure the other spots were filled with old guys on 1 ways.

As you know that was my whole beef with Sweeney. I can't stand that they handed money to the guys they did when you could ideally started bringing in the young talent to compete. I hope there's a market to trade some of the old bodies. tbd.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I think your confusing that with traded players. As an example, trades can still be made after trade deadline day, but they are not eligible for the playoffs.

Danny DeKeyser signed his contract March 30, 2013, burned a year of his contract playing in 11 games and appeared in 2 playoff games that same season for the Red Wings.

That's just one example and there are many more who did the same but their teams didn't make the playoffs

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
On one hand I agree. Many questions need to be answered about this team. And many answers might simply be sitting there internally.

And by no means does Sweeney need to force a move just to make a move. And if at some point everyone is healthy, a simple Hayes waiving/demotion takes care of any roster issues.

But at the same time, it would be nice if Sweeney dealt from a position of strength for a change. All of his deals seem to be pressured, whether it be the cap, trade deadlines, glaring need, etc. Perhaps take advantage of another team feeling the pressure to make a move for whatever reason and coming away with the best player in the deal. Easier to do when the Bruins are winning. No one wants to help a fellow GM in the midst of a 2 and 8 run.

Fact is, this team could use secondary scoring, help on D despite how well they have played and Carlo's emergence, and I'm not convinced that if Rask went down Khudobin has the goods to carry the load (he's an AHL caliber tender to these eyes).

I just think with the right move at the right time, this team could go from pretty good, to very good, and who would of thought that in September.

"All"? When's the last time he did anything of any significance? And I know, 'trades are hard', 'takes two teams', 'he's smart not to overpay', etc. But excuses aside, he's been passive aside from his first few weeks on the job and that's likely to continue.

As for what's realistic, I don't think anything is realistic that makes this team "very good". I was worried that if Rask was mediocre again this was a certain lottery team, and I'm still not convinced that's not true. He's been superb, and without him I think this team would be in trouble today. On that note, it's probably realistic to expect him to level off at some point, and statistically the schedule doesn't get any easier, so I think it's realistic to expect this team to point downwards. Which maybe underscores your point...if he's actually going to try to improve this team, this might be the best time to do it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
"All"? When's the last time he did anything of any significance? And I know, 'trades are hard', 'takes two teams', 'he's smart not to overpay', etc. But excuses aside, he's been passive aside from his first few weeks on the job and that's likely to continue.

As for what's realistic, I don't think anything is realistic that makes this team "very good". I was worried that if Rask was mediocre again this was a certain lottery team, and I'm still not convinced that's not true. He's been superb, and without him I think this team would be in trouble today. On that note, it's probably realistic to expect him to level off at some point, and statistically the schedule doesn't get any easier, so I think it's realistic to expect this team to point downwards. Which maybe underscores your point...if he's actually going to try to improve this team, this might be the best time to do it.

They probably level off a bit, but I said this before the season started, I expected a team that while maybe ends up with roughly the same win % as the last couple years, but doesn't have the wild swings that the last two Bruins teams had. To me they projected out to be a better defensive team in 2016-17 but regress a bit offensively coming off career years from 63, 37, Eriksson, and a red-hot PP early in the previous season.

Go back and look at their records and you'll see multiple runs of 7 or 8 wins out of 10, combined with multiple runs where they lost 7 or 8 out of 10.

I expect this team to be more consistent over the course of 82 games. They are back to being a strong defensive team, players are buying in, system tweaks, personnel, etc. Strong defense leads to better consistency. And they have a decent record despite very little in the way of secondary scoring from either lines 2 and 3, or from the D. It's not all just Rask bailing them out game after game, this team is doing a good job limiting high % scoring chances thus far.

But I don't think Sweeney has a team where he can rest on his laurels and just see what happens. He has the luxury of making a move if it's the right move, but even though I think an 2 and 8 run is less likely, Sweeney shouldn't wait until it potentially happens to start making calls to bring in some help. Fellow GMs smell desperation, which usually leads to mistakes being made by the desperate GM.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Where do you want these guys to grab roster spots? There's a few 4th line vacancies coming and Liles. The brass did a wonderful job of making sure the other spots were filled with old guys on 1 ways.

As you know that was my whole beef with Sweeney. I can't stand that they handed money to the guys they did when you could ideally started bringing in the young talent to compete. I hope there's a market to trade some of the old bodies. tbd.

The brass did a wonderful job of filling the roster with guys on 1 or 2 year deals to serve as placeholders for the kids. And none of them are making to much that getting the 900kish relief from sending them to Providence (if needed) would be much of an issue for the cap.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I would not have made a trade until you have some indication that Rask's injury is under control and you can expect a full season from him.

I think things seem good there so I'd like to see them get something done now before desperation sets in and I think that's waiting for them in the new year with their schedule.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the Chara/Carlo pairing. But I'm still not buying that this team as currently constructed is going to hold, especially with the offense being so underwhelming so far. I think the schedule has been very kind to them in terms of the quality of the opposition and it won't surprise me if there's another "collapse" in the new year when they are playing playoff teams regularly, unlike now.

Unfortunately the level of competition ramps up right at a time that I'm wondering how both players in the Charlo pairing are holding up as the fatigue of a long season starts setting in.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
They probably level off a bit, but I said this before the season started, I expected a team that while maybe ends up with roughly the same win % as the last couple years, but doesn't have the wild swings that the last two Bruins teams had. To me they projected out to be a better defensive team in 2016-17 but regress a bit offensively coming off career years from 63, 37, Eriksson, and a red-hot PP early in the previous season.

Go back and look at their records and you'll see multiple runs of 7 or 8 wins out of 10, combined with multiple runs where they lost 7 or 8 out of 10.

I expect this team to be more consistent over the course of 82 games. They are back to being a strong defensive team, players are buying in, system tweaks, personnel, etc. Strong defense leads to better consistency. And they have a decent record despite very little in the way of secondary scoring from either lines 2 and 3, or from the D. It's not all just Rask bailing them out game after game, this team is doing a good job limiting high % scoring chances thus far.

But I don't think Sweeney has a team where he can rest on his laurels and just see what happens. He has the luxury of making a move if it's the right move, but even though I think an 2 and 8 run is less likely, Sweeney shouldn't wait until it potentially happens to start making calls to bring in some help. Fellow GMs smell desperation, which usually leads to mistakes being made by the desperate GM.

This is all 100% right. 100%. I've been saying it along with you for what seems like an eternity now. But it's clear Sweeney seems intent on just playing the waiting game. Or, he's just not that good at closing deals. Or, as his supporters will quickly point out, "trades are too hard" or he "has to overpay so why do it?". But whatever the reason or reasons are, he's been passive about improving this team with any meaningful moves and there's no reason to think that will change, even if it should. Much like Chiarelli, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who likes to actively adjust the roster.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is all 100% right. 100%. I've been saying it along with you for what seems like an eternity now. But it's clear Sweeney seems intent on just playing the waiting game. Or, he's just not that good at closing deals. Or, as his supporters will quickly point out, "trades are too hard" or he "has to overpay so why do it?". But whatever the reason or reasons are, he's been passive about improving this team with any meaningful moves and there's no reason to think that will change, even if it should. Much like Chiarelli, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who likes to actively adjust the roster.

You say that he is afraid to adjust the roster... but grabbing a random game from last November shows that 8 of the 18 skaters on that game are no longer on the team. Nearly half the roster! So I call BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad