Proposal: All Bruins rumors/proposals: 16/17 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
AOF, with all due respect please stop suggesting the Bruins acquire Iginla. If he were a UFA after this season then ok maybe. But he's not. He's half the man he was as a Bruin

I think you've watched hockey long enough to have seen dozens of great players written off. we say gary Roberts cant come back from a broken neck... Mario Lemieux cant come back from cancer... guy lafleur is retired too long

larry murphy goes to Toronto... omg hes the worst dman in hockey

the truth is great players continue to be able to play good... if their heart is in it... if they stay healthy...

now I cant make a comment if iginla is healthy or not... but this is a guy that reluctantly left Calgary to chase a cup... he disgraced his legacy to chase a cup

he got fooled into going to Colorado because he trusted a couple of his friends that they were going to contend and he could make a difference

now... we know... the truth

put yourself into the shoes of this proud player... who wanted to be a legacy player... wanted to play for just 1 team... who reluctantly tarnished his reputation by agreeing to a trade... who signed with us on a bonus contract because he wanted to do whatever he can to help a team win a cup

and this is what hes stuck with?

as a family man... he has tried to do what is right for his family and not demanded a trade... stuck it out... but it must rip his heart out to be on such a putrid team

perhaps he wouldn't want to come back to boston... cause he does want to chase a cup, but I can promise you he will be a much better player on a contending team. if he wanted to come back and play with krecji and if Colorado ate some of his contract... perhaps took jimmy hayes off our hands... id do it... and id be willing to wager with you I'm right that his play would be much better

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Michael the main point is for this deal right now cap space is a non issue.

Then the Bruins have 8 months to do more or something else. Its not curing cancer. Chara cap drops. Cap goes up. Liles is gone. Modt likely player or two gone via draft or trade.

A lot can happen. None of it is that hard. Literally nothing has to happen right now.

Bottom line is it can be done if the opportunity presents itself.

we definitely are in agreement that sweeny has done a good job creating cap space to allow upgrades this year.

my sight has been set on bringing in ufa. ive been looking at Arizona and thinking stone/hanzal are the targets to go after.

I'm happy to hear langeskogs name in the rumor mill... hes better than stone/hanzal. but he does carry contract for several more years. this is the story of the ant and the grasshopper. we do need to have an eye on the future when we make these deals

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Iginla just makes a team worse, line worse he plays on.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
just as a little visual helper... ill put up the pieces I feel are 'keeper pieces' and their salaries

pastranak RFA/Bergeron 6.875/Marchand 6.124 {lets call this our 19 million first line}
backes 6/krecji 7.25/Landeskog 5.571,429 {and here is our 18.82 mill second line}
czarik rfa/???/vatrano .792,500 {pencil karlsson in here and call this 2.5 mill}
nash .900/kuraly .808/schaller rfa {whatever names play here... we are looking around 3 mill or less}
Blidh .784/acciari rfa {again the names might change but around 1.5 mill for our press box guys}

this means we are at a bit over 44 mill to dress 14 forwards and I haven't mentioned any of belesky/hayes/spooner who conservatively would cost us around 9 mill imho instead of the 3 mill I'm accounting for with their replacements. if we cant move these 3 guys our forward cost balloons to 50 million

now our goaltending... we got rask and a kid plus the khubodin spill over... so a bit over 8 mill

this puts us at 52 mill before we sign a single dman

on d...

we are happy with carlo/chara a touch below 4.8 mill

some of us are happy with k miller/krug at 7.75

and ill grant that c miller has shown signs of life he adds a mill

so 13.5 mill for 5 dmen... plus the 2 goalies plus the 14 forwards comes in at a nice price of around 65.5 mill

most of us want avory on the team... he doesn't jump the price too much...

at a 73 mill cap we have 6.5 mill to add a missing dman

BUT this is where all those bad contracts I left out will kill us

if belesky/hayes/spooner/macquaid are on this team that's over 11.5 mill instead of 3.5 mill... that's 8 million in additional cap costs... that kills all 6.5 mill space... that makes it impossible to add a dman capable of upgrading the team

you can see that ive outlined a very top heavy team here... this team might get almost no scoring at all from the bottom 2 lines so it probably would want to make some deadline moves to bring in some depth for the playoffs.

if we were to sign someone like shattenkirk... he would eat every penny of cap room

it seams like we have a lot of cap room until you plug the numbers in... and then it disappears very quickly.

but the one thing that is a positive... is the abundance of cheap 3rd/4th line talent we have to plug in. if we can ever get our top 2 lines scoring again at the same time... this team could become a contender very very quickly.

so my vote... go for it... make the deal for langeskog... sacrifice some kids who wont be able to crack our lineup anyhow... move the deadweight contracts asap so they don't end up being a noose around our neck... add the top 3 dman we need...

I'm shocked to hear myself saying this... I was convinced we needed a rebuild... I was in favor of moving marchand... krecji... chara... but Sweeney/neely might just be able to pull this off...

my hats off to them if they can manage it

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
We don't need in glia here

what we need is an upgrade on the 3rd line... push nash down to 4th line to upgrade it too...

now my number 1 vote is to pick up hanzal and insert him on the 3rd line... presto

BUT... if we cant get hanzal... then I would gamble on iginla {bear in mind I'm not willing to trade more than hayes for him... I want Colorado to eat some contract... so I'm not giving away the farm for him} and id put iginla with krecji in the backes spot. theres no guarantee it will work... but the backes/krecji combo hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either.

with iginla getting a trial run to reunite what was a good combo... backes goes onto third line and immediately is a huge upgrade there. backes has looked good with czarik/vatrano in the past. and it seems backes is more useful at this stage of his career when hes a center...

if iginla is cooked as you all want to swear too... than we haven't lost anything... hayes is addition by subtraction. we can put iginla in the pressbox.

again I'm not saying give up 2 first round picks for this hofer.

everyone eventually reaches the end of the line... but iginla is a fitness freak... with size and strength and incredible hands. its highly unlikely he is unable to play at this age.

its more likely he just has zero heart to play in Colorado where they have lied to him and let him down

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
just as a little visual helper... ill put up the pieces I feel are 'keeper pieces' and their salaries

pastranak RFA/Bergeron 6.875/Marchand 6.124 {lets call this our 19 million first line}
backes 6/krecji 7.25/Landeskog 5.571,429 {and here is our 18.82 mill second line}
czarik rfa/???/vatrano .792,500 {pencil karlsson in here and call this 2.5 mill}
nash .900/kuraly .808/schaller rfa {whatever names play here... we are looking around 3 mill or less}
Blidh .784/acciari rfa {again the names might change but around 1.5 mill for our press box guys}

this means we are at a bit over 44 mill to dress 14 forwards and I haven't mentioned any of belesky/hayes/spooner who conservatively would cost us around 9 mill imho instead of the 3 mill I'm accounting for with their replacements. if we cant move these 3 guys our forward cost balloons to 50 million

now our goaltending... we got rask and a kid plus the khubodin spill over... so a bit over 8 mill

this puts us at 52 mill before we sign a single dman

on d...

we are happy with carlo/chara a touch below 4.8 mill

some of us are happy with k miller/krug at 7.75

and ill grant that c miller has shown signs of life he adds a mill

so 13.5 mill for 5 dmen... plus the 2 goalies plus the 14 forwards comes in at a nice price of around 65.5 mill

most of us want avory on the team... he doesn't jump the price too much...

at a 73 mill cap we have 6.5 mill to add a missing dman

BUT this is where all those bad contracts I left out will kill us

if belesky/hayes/spooner/macquaid are on this team that's over 11.5 mill instead of 3.5 mill... that's 8 million in additional cap costs... that kills all 6.5 mill space... that makes it impossible to add a dman capable of upgrading the team

you can see that ive outlined a very top heavy team here... this team might get almost no scoring at all from the bottom 2 lines so it probably would want to make some deadline moves to bring in some depth for the playoffs.

if we were to sign someone like shattenkirk... he would eat every penny of cap room

it seams like we have a lot of cap room until you plug the numbers in... and then it disappears very quickly.

but the one thing that is a positive... is the abundance of cheap 3rd/4th line talent we have to plug in. if we can ever get our top 2 lines scoring again at the same time... this team could become a contender very very quickly.

so my vote... go for it... make the deal for langeskog... sacrifice some kids who wont be able to crack our lineup anyhow... move the deadweight contracts asap so they don't end up being a noose around our neck... add the top 3 dman we need...

I'm shocked to hear myself saying this... I was convinced we needed a rebuild... I was in favor of moving marchand... krecji... chara... but Sweeney/neely might just be able to pull this off...

my hats off to them if they can manage it

Yes the bad contracts are a serious issue. They could add Landeskog and could make the numbers work for next year, but would have very little wiggle room. Now if Beleskey goes to Vegas and one of McQ/K. Miller also go, you're in decent shape. Spooner would be worth the 2-3 million to play 3rd line LW, play on the PP, and have some versatility up and down the line-up. Probably don't need him going forward though.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Landeskog would be a major piece. With next year McAvoy coming in and making a statement, our defense becomes that much stronger. Hopefully Carlo puts on some pounds and becomes stronger. It would be a perfect infusion of youth, speed and grizzled veterans to make a run.

They really have to make a play for this guy. No excuses.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
what we need is an upgrade on the 3rd line... push nash down to 4th line to upgrade it too...

now my number 1 vote is to pick up hanzal and insert him on the 3rd line... presto

BUT... if we cant get hanzal... then I would gamble on iginla {bear in mind I'm not willing to trade more than hayes for him... I want Colorado to eat some contract... so I'm not giving away the farm for him} and id put iginla with krecji in the backes spot. theres no guarantee it will work... but the backes/krecji combo hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either.

with iginla getting a trial run to reunite what was a good combo... backes goes onto third line and immediately is a huge upgrade there. backes has looked good with czarik/vatrano in the past. and it seems backes is more useful at this stage of his career when hes a center...

if iginla is cooked as you all want to swear too... than we haven't lost anything... hayes is addition by subtraction. we can put iginla in the pressbox.

again I'm not saying give up 2 first round picks for this hofer.

everyone eventually reaches the end of the line... but iginla is a fitness freak... with size and strength and incredible hands. its highly unlikely he is unable to play at this age.

its more likely he just has zero heart to play in Colorado where they have lied to him and let him down

This is not the team that should be investing assets into expensive rentals.

Landeskog, Trouba, those are names I'm OK with sinking assets into. Young players that have a future here. UFA Hanzel or Iginla, no thanks, no matter how hard you try to justify it, I just don't think the current team is in a place to be pursuing those kinda players.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I don't think any realistic move makes this team a contender this year.

So I pass on Landeskog; Trouba etc.

Have to know when to hold'em and when to fold'em. There are 5 teams that are significantly better than Boston in the East.

Team is poorly managed if they give up Carlo for 95% of Nhl wingers

There is no birthright to being a playoff team...and it is unwise to invest major future assets for short term gain with an average roster.

Team should be looking to 3 years down the line. It's bad news if Sweeney feels heat and looks for short-term fix.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine

Have to know when to hold'em and when to fold'em. There are 5 teams that are significantly better than Boston in the East.

There is no birthright to being a playoff team...and it is unwise to invest major future assets for short term gain with an average roster.

Team should be looking to 3 years down the line. It's bad news if Sweeney feels heat and looks for short-term fix.

Don't understand this... I get that you're not interested in moving pieces for short-term rentals, so I get you not being interested in Trouba (who's only signed through next year)

But Landy's only 24, and is signed through 2021 with a nice cap-hit (especially if the cap continues to rise).

How is that not looking 3 years down the road?

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA

I agree they shouldn't be focusing in on the Stempniaks and Liles of the league, but they can't just stop trying to make a beneficial move because this year may be shot.

Acquiring Landeskog and Trouba aren't short-sighted moves, IMO.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Would love Landeskog as a Bruin. If Sweeney could get him for a package of prospects, he should get it done.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Don't understand this... I get that you're not interested in moving pieces for short-term rentals, so I get you not being interested in Trouba (who's only signed through next year)

But Landy's only 24, and is signed through 2021 with a nice cap-hit (especially if the cap continues to rise).

How is that not looking 3 years down the road?

My issue is largely with moving one of Carlo or McAvoy. I don't want to do it. You potentially have the franchise set up long-term on the right side top two pairings, in my opinion it's time to be patient.

Other question is that Landeskog is a winger and I don't like moving defensemen (especially right-side) for a winger. Plus, I think the Bruins would run into cap issues in a few years if you take on Landeskog,

I understand if there is a rare opportunity to go in for a killing on a deal you do it, but if adding a stud winger was something to be considered, then Backes should not have been signed. The team was already set at the center position. It seems to show a lack of long-term planning. How much cap do the Bruins want to have tied up on the wings? Pastrnak will have to be signed.

Now if they want to move Krejci to bring in a good young center to eventually replace him or Bergeron and to play alongside Pastrnak, then I'd look into it.

To me a lot of making moves is about timing. Last offseason I would have tried to move out a couple veterans to bring in more young NHL talent. Now we are stuck in mediocrity for the visible future.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

And if we can add a Landeskog type talent without giving up a key player then we instantly become a better team.

Its been reported by numerous people that Sweeney told the Av's no go on Carlo. So does that mean the team isn't poorly managed?

I think that's why they are looking at a 24yr old w/ a team friendly cap hit for the next 4 years instead of a soon to be aging UFA. Not to mention the pieces they would be giving up may not even make an NHL impact for 3 years....Landeskog would.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think you've watched hockey long enough to have seen dozens of great players written off. we say gary Roberts cant come back from a broken neck... Mario Lemieux cant come back from cancer... guy lafleur is retired too long

larry murphy goes to Toronto... omg hes the worst dman in hockey

the truth is great players continue to be able to play good... if their heart is in it... if they stay healthy...

now I cant make a comment if iginla is healthy or not... but this is a guy that reluctantly left Calgary to chase a cup... he disgraced his legacy to chase a cup

he got fooled into going to Colorado because he trusted a couple of his friends that they were going to contend and he could make a difference

now... we know... the truth

put yourself into the shoes of this proud player... who wanted to be a legacy player... wanted to play for just 1 team... who reluctantly tarnished his reputation by agreeing to a trade... who signed with us on a bonus contract because he wanted to do whatever he can to help a team win a cup

and this is what hes stuck with?

as a family man... he has tried to do what is right for his family and not demanded a trade... stuck it out... but it must rip his heart out to be on such a putrid team

perhaps he wouldn't want to come back to boston... cause he does want to chase a cup, but I can promise you he will be a much better player on a contending team. if he wanted to come back and play with krecji and if Colorado ate some of his contract... perhaps took jimmy hayes off our hands... id do it... and id be willing to wager with you I'm right that his play would be much better

I've been watching hockey for close to 40 years now so yes I did witness those you mentioned have great late career runs. However neither were in the salary cap era. Iginla carries a hefty cap hit. And he's awfully slow. The exact opposite of what this Bruins team needs imo. They need speed & puck skill.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
And if we can add a Landeskog type talent without giving up a key player then we instantly become a better team.

Its been reported by numerous people that Sweeney told the Av's no go on Carlo. So does that mean the team isn't poorly managed?

I think that's why they are looking at a 24yr old w/ a team friendly cap hit for the next 4 years instead of a soon to be aging UFA. Not to mention the pieces they would be giving up may not even make an NHL impact for 3 years....Landeskog would.

Sure if you can get Landeskog for a song then do it. Doesn't seem likely.

My priority would be finding Chara's replacement on left-side and a future stud center. Easier said than done, but I don't see a point in expending assets on a winger.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
My issue is largely with moving one of Carlo or McAvoy. I don't want to do it. You potentially have the franchise set up long-term on the right side top two pairings, in my opinion it's time to be patient.

Other question is that Landeskog is a winger and I don't like moving defensemen (especially right-side) for a winger. Plus, I think the Bruins would run into cap issues in a few years if you take on Landeskog,

I understand if there is a rare opportunity to go in for a killing on a deal you do it, but if adding a stud winger was something to be considered, then Backes should not have been signed. The team was already set at the center position. It seems to show a lack of long-term planning. How much cap do the Bruins want to have tied up on the wings? Pastrnak will have to be signed.

Now if they want to move Krejci to bring in a good young center to eventually replace him or Bergeron and to play alongside Pastrnak, then I'd look into it.

To me a lot of making moves is about timing. Last offseason I would have tried to move out a couple veterans to bring in more young NHL talent. Now we are stuck in mediocrity for the visible future.

DK with a NMC so while moving him isn`t impossible, there`s limitations. Beleskey on a modified NMC I "think" until the end of this year? Again, not impossible to move but limitations plus who`d be willing to take him on with the year he`s had?

I`d not hesitate to move Quaider/K Miller or Liles (again, who`d risk it until they`ve seen him play post concussion?)

Other than that, the rest of this group are hardly hot commodities, Spoons might be the most likely to move, "maybe" Pasta but Spoons first. I do worry about Pasta`s durability though.

It appears this team has quite the cupboard of solid looking prospects and someone or more than one will have to go. Other than that, roster players aren`t exactly the kind that would have opposing GM`s lining up to get IMO

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

But their not moving either of them, so it should be a non-issue.

Same as above, they are not traded with McAvoy or Carlo so this is a non-issue

Backes was signed for his versatility and ability to give us depth when injuries arise. He's a veteran leader that bring accountability to the dressing room. He also is a pretty damn good player that play our style of hockey. Should we trade Krejci in the future, Backes still gives us a #2C.

But why would a team trade a good young center for a veteran center with most likely a higher cap hit?

For the visible future? McAvoy looks like he'll be here next year. Senyshyn could (if he stays healthy in off-season) could break with this team at camp next year. DeBrusk is finding his game down in the AHL and could be here next year (If not traded). Then you have the expansion draft (what contract will we hopefully lose) and the off-season where most moves happen.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Sure if you can get Landeskog for a song then do it. Doesn't seem likely.

The rumor is DeBrusk + Morrow + Zboril + 1st

No core piece, no McAvoy or Carlo, just a pick a few prospects and a young NHL d-man.

My priority would be finding Chara's replacement on left-side and a future stud center. Easier said than done, but I don't see a point in expending assets on a winger.

I'm not sure what you mean by Chara's replacement. Do you mean face of the defense or just a #1LD? I think Carlo/McAvoy could eventaully become the "face of the defense" so really you just need a #1LD. Still not an easy task because elite LDH don't typically get traded and draft one may take years just to find.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Looks as if the Bruins will once again be a DNQ this coming playoffs. At trade deadline, playoff teams are always chomping at the bits to get their hands on NHL veteran talent. Sweeney would be wise to put some guys on the block and load up on some draft picks to help recoup what he loses here in a potential deal for a Landeskog type.

Moore
KMiller
Khudobin
Hayes
Beleskey

Of course this isn't taking into account the expansion draft requirements

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Looks as if the Bruins will once again be a DNQ this coming playoffs. At trade deadline, playoff teams are always cho,ping at the bits to get their hands on NHL veteran talent. Sweeney would be wise to put some guys on the block and load up on some draft picks to help recoup what he loses here in a potential deal for a Landeskog type.

Moore
KMiller
Khudobin
Hayes
Beleskey

Of course this isn't taking into account the expansion draft requirements

Of that group, I think only Moore and K Miller gets anything, Beleskey would fetch next to nothing and has a NMC, Khudobin can`t stop a beach ball, Hayes is invisible and therein lies the issue, it`s great to say "let`s move them" but the question could be asked, "who wants them"?

Three that could fetch picks that are remotely decent (not first rounders)

K Miller, Quaider and Moore, other than that, not much coming back as far as value IMO

I think the B`s biggest asset is Rask but he ain`t going anywhere..........yet:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad