Post-Game Talk: All aboard the Persson hype train

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Persson looked really solid, but IMO Klefbom was the best player on the ice. He's the perfect guy to babysit a rookie defenceman.

RNH-Neal looks like it'll be a good duo. Far from convinced Gagner should be the third wheel though.

I don't hate Russell and don't want to see him railroaded out of town, but man it sure looks like Lagesson could do his job for a quarter of the price. Just solid all around.

Haas and Nygard had a rough first period but started to gel after that.

I continue to like Cave. He might be a 5 goal guy at absolute peak but the team wont be hurt by having him as a 13th/14th forward. High energy player, lots of speed. I think I like him and Gambardella in those roles.

Sheahan will be solid. Fits the new "stability" motto.

Khaira had a tough game. He's going to need to be a lot better than that to play top 9.

Benson has more to give but he's looked better every time he hits the ice. I'd imagine he plays 6 preseason games at least.

I wonder if we see Chiasson play like that "burr in his saddle" game more often. Probably less than thrilled he's slated on the 4th line after his best ever season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's honestly... Refreshing. He thought Benning was solid which was weird but still. He put actual praise where it was warranted, Klefbom is great.

Sounds like he really likes P Russell and Cave is impressing him. Could see Russell a starting role of guys arent careful. Think he put himself above Khaira in Tippets kind.

Tippett's going to be an interesting follow. The first question was about the Nuge-Neal line with the reporter obviously expecting praise. Tippett almost looked disappointed and shrugged and implied that it's early and they'll get better, when they were obviously the best line out there. Shows what his expectations are of them.

As for the Benning praise, I really didn't have issue, he did a decent job keeping guys to the outside defensively. Got lost a bit in the offensive zone a couple times, but overall played a game suited to a 6/7 dman, which is fine until someone overtakes him. The good news is that yesterday showed that there are several guys ready to challenge him for his spot right now.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Persson looked really solid, but IMO Klefbom was the best player on the ice. He's the perfect guy to babysit a rookie defenceman.

RNH-Neal looks like it'll be a good duo. Far from convinced Gagner should be the third wheel though.

I don't hate Russell and don't want to see him railroaded out of town, but man it sure looks like Lagesson could do his job for a quarter of the price. Just solid all around.

Haas and Nygard had a rough first period but started to gel after that.

I continue to like Cave. He might be a 5 goal guy at absolute peak but the team wont be hurt by having him as a 13th/14th forward. High energy player, lots of speed. I think I like him and Gambardella in those roles.

Sheahan will be solid. Fits the new "stability" motto.

Khaira had a tough game. He's going to need to be a lot better than that to play top 9.

Benson has more to give but he's looked better every time he hits the ice. I'd imagine he plays 6 preseason games at least.

I wonder if we see Chiasson play like that "burr in his saddle" game more often. Probably less than thrilled he's slated on the 4th line after his best ever season.

So true Klefbom babysits every partner. I remember when he made Schultz look amazing a few years back

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I hope they crash and burn.
I hope Lucic scores 0 goals.
I hope Reider scores 0 goals.
I hope Neal scores 30 goals.
I hope Talbot performs worse than last year.
I hope they miss the playoffs by exactly 1 point every season from now until eternity.
****. The. Lames.

Personally, I don't care how they do. All I want is for the Oilers to do better than them.

Reactions: Dempsey

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hmm so apparently quoting the thoughts of other fanbases is considered trolling them, even though they said it on a public forum, i didn't enter their thread to talk **** or poke fun. And I've now been banned from Calgary HF Boards. Sensitive bunch. But I'm almost certain it has nothing to do with the Flames and everything to do with how Leafs fans and Mods think of me. Any way to see which mod actually handed out the ban? I just get messages from "Troll Stomper", used to be I'd get messages from a specific MOD.

I've been kicked out of nicer places than that.

Reactions: TB12

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He doesn't get enough credit, even from Oiler fans. A homegrown #2 defenceman on a spectacular deal. If he didn't get dinged up here and there he'd be in the conversation for best contract in the NHL.

When healthy he impacts our W/L ratio more than almost any player on our team.

Klefbom is a really good player when healthy.

Reactions: TB12

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I forget the stat but I looked into it last year: With Klefbom last year, we were an 85-90 point team. Without him, we were a 55-60 point team. Even the most fervent of the "he's soft" lesser primates can see we're much, much, much better with him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Yep. And of he is able to help Persson adapt and allow Perssons offense game to transfer over this team will be in good shape while our other defenders develop.

Also if Klef is able to do this for Persson, it may end up being a good sign that Klefbom can do it for Bouchard

Reactions: LaGu and snipes

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I forget the stat but I looked into it last year: With Klefbom last year, we were an 85-90 point team. Without him, we were a 55-60 point team. Even the most fervent of the "he's soft" lesser primates can see we're much, much, much better with him.
Which is why when anyone says Nurse is better baffles me.

Klefboms complete game when he is healthy is the best defender this team had had since Pronger and effects our win loss more than McDavid in a way that's baffling.

Well in my opinion Bear's chances of making the team out of camp are almost non-existent now.
I'll wait till he at least plays a game before I call that

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Nuge and Neal get a goal each dominate all over the ice- Tipp: “They eill get better”

Benning thee hundred giveaways a period- Tipp: “Real solid game”

What is with old coaches falling in love with Benning?????
Ya I didn't quite understand that

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
His agent though, wow, probably has players lining up for his services. Got Talbot a cool 2.75M this year.

Imagine being paid 2.75 million dollars to let in deflating goals. Sign me up!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Long ways to go yet, Bouchard and Persson definitely have the inside track though.

I’m in the camp that wanted Bouchard a full year in the AHL, but he’s so good he’ll force himself into the 3rd pairing RHD.

Persson has jaw dropping puck skills and has obvious chemistry with Klefbom. He’s not a kid either.

I like:

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Persson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Which is why when anyone says Nurse is better baffles me.

Klefboms complete game when he is healthy is the best defender this team had had since Pronger and effects our win loss more than McDavid in a way that's baffling.

I'll wait till he at least plays a game before I call that

Ryan Whitney when he was on his game was probably the most dominant defencemen we've had since Pronger. Honorable mention to Souray and Vishnovsky as well.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I’m in the camp that wanted Bouchard a full year in the AHL, but he’s so good he’ll force himself into the 3rd pairing RHD.

Persson has jaw dropping puck skills and has obvious chemistry with Klefbom. He’s not a kid either.

I like:

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Persson
Russell Bouchard
Lagesson

If Lagesson isn't in the top-6 he should be getting top-4 minutes in the AHL.

Reactions: Dempsey

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Lagesson isn't in the top-6 he should be getting top-4 minutes in the AHL.

Who is the 6/7 then?

Please don’t say Manning.

It’s Russell and Lagesson or Jones. I think Jones needs top pairing AHL minutes and it shelters Samorukov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad