Post-Game Talk: All aboard the Persson hype train

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
All good feelings following Neal's night tonight... meanwhile on Flames Safe Space CalgaryPuck....

A8B049E0-D85F-4B9C-AA14-95919ACBF885.gif

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lol I had to take a look. A few of them who troll our AtL threads are complaining they get infracted for it.

The guy who trashed our mods is one of the dullest posters on this forum.
He's definitely not the brightest guy i've seen on HFBoards.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Bwhahaha. This made my night.
God, they're worse than HFOil for their overreactions to small sample sizes but this was a fun read nonetheless.

Meanwhile, Calgary Puck trying to convince themselves that Lucic has "fluid skating and impressive puck control"...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is a little bit confusing. You first state that the game was meaningless and then you suggest that due to a poor performance in a meaningless game the Oilers should trade Jones.
You suggest that makes sense.

With all due respect...how exactly does this make sense?

Thought I was clear.

While i agree with the quoted poster that Jones makes the most sense to trade of our young prospects, I wouldn't trade him. Not yet anyway. Way too early. Ahl him another year.

Jones is my least favorite of Bouchard, Persson, Bear, Lagesson, Samourukov, and Broberg. In large part because he is a pure offensive defenseman that shoots left.

But he is still a great prospect and development is not linear. Jones and all the guys listed above are solid prospects and any of them could end up being a good nhl defender.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What to take away from this game:

Bouchard looks bad going backwards.
Klefbom-Persson MIGHT turn into a good pairing.
Hopkins-Neal MIGHT work this season.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Calgary fans reaction you guys are posting to First Shot Talbot and Lucic have me rolling in the aisles! :laugh:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
From what I did watch tonight, Persson really stood out for me.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Nuge and Neal get a goal each dominate all over the ice- Tipp: “They eill get better”

Benning thee hundred giveaways a period- Tipp: “Real solid game”

What is with old coaches falling in love with Benning?????

Alternatively you can read it as a way of telling Benning he hasn't been forgotten about just because two rookies looked very good.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Nuge and Neal get a goal each dominate all over the ice- Tipp: “They eill get better”

His comments did a seem a bit odd.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Two best players were hands down RNH and Klef.

I'd say Neal was the 2nd best forward he's working surprisingly hard for a vet in pre-season I suspect he feels like he wants to prove something this year. Gagner has good offensive awareness and was often in proper position to support the play, but he was definitely the 3rd wheel on that line, left you wanting more, but seems semi-capable in a supporting role if the duo is strong enough, I'm not sure this duo is, but that will get sorted out later.

Persson played well with many good passes and a willingness to shoot and shoot often, but there were moments where I saw some shakiness, against tougher opposition and with a partner not as good as Klefbom I'll think some warts will become more apparent, still our 2nd best defender on the night, but I'm going to advocate for a little brake pumping here.

Our 3rd best defender was probably Lagesson in my eyes, not a lot better than Bouchard, but Lagesson was his usual steady/stable self very few mistakes and tends to make the right play.

Colby Cave was pretty good, I'd say he probably shined the most out of our centers after Nuge, his line was the one outside of Nuge's that tended to get the most offensive pressure (particularly in the first 2 periods) and it was often based on what he was doing. Patrick Russell was quietly solid, he's been my darkhorse for NHL employment for the past two-ish years, does a lot right and is a smart player, but his lack of wheels is quite noticeable relative to our two European forward imports.

Haas seemed like he really didn't generate any offense in the first half, his defensive lines and his reads on the passing lanes seemed good, I could see him being good on the PK if he makes it, was definitely a bit better as the game wore on. Nygard showed flashes of good play, but his game on the whole didn't particularly impress me tonight like Haas seemed to also get better later on, though even early he had the odd strong shift here or there.

Benning was the same as usual, I don't know what's with him he always starts camp like he forgot where he ended last year and it's a battle to get him back to his old self. I wonder when this song and dance will cost him an NHL job, the average level of play is certainly NHL caliber, but not every coach has the patience to play him till gets back there.

Khaira looked good enough to me that he'll probably keep his NHL job, just an effective enough big-man, but his job really isn't a lock, I keep wanting more passion out of him to really cement his spot.

Benson didn't impress me, he showed some flashes late, but his play certainly wasn't to a level that will get him into the conversation to steal a spot. He'll need to be a lot better in the pre-season games to come or he'll probably start the year on the farm.

Obviously nothing to complain about with either goalie with a shutout, but Skinner looked real solid and in control the whole time.
Thanks for the write-up, much appreciated.

It is odd though reading on here (and from posters which I know have good takes on games) about Benning. All I have seen so far from other sources have been positive, Tippett: "real solid", EDM journal [Staples]: "... then Benning caught fire, making a handful of excellent break out passes." (also giving him a 7 in player grades, same as Klefbom, Persson, Neal, Bouchard, Lagesson).

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

It is odd though reading on here (and from posters which I know have good takes on games) about Benning. All I have seen so far from other sources have been positive, Tippett: "real solid", EDM journal [Staples]: "... then Benning caught fire, making a handful of excellent break out passes." (also giving him a 7 in player grades, same as Klefbom, Persson, Neal, Bouchard, Lagesson).
"caught fire" :confused:

I thought he was the worst defenseman tonight. I missed bits of the game but did see him pull out his patented "ice the puck for no reason" play in the third.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Heard that too and am now kind of worried Tippet will give Benning rope like previous coaches. Except for Hitch who I am certain only publicly supported Benning but in his head you could see he's thinking "WTF is this kid doing in the NHL"

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I felt I seen Benning making more than his fair share of mistakes and his pairing was unequivocally the weakest of the 3 tonight. Also couldn't help, but notice how much Klef was helping his partner and while Lagesson/Bouchard were kind of helping each other it felt like Lagesson had a steadying influence and could allow Bouch to take some chances. Benning going into his 4th season seemed to lack that element to solidify his pair and settle it down. Maybe Tippett was better able to isolate Benning's play from that of his partner and maybe most of his mistakes were from trying to cover for Caleb, I'm not sure.

While it wasn't the best showing for Caleb with 3 other rookie d-men outperforming him, it was just one game, I'm still pulling for him pretty hard and while I know he played after it, I'm curious if he tweaked his leg, it definitely looked like he folded on top of it awkwardly from that trip from behind.

Just as an aside I don't always believe coaches comments, particularly at this time of year, sometimes they are trying to push buttons to get more from certain guys (e.g. Neal) and other times they are trying to pump guys up. there is a bit of gamesmanship there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The asshats on the redneck board are making fun of ours mods... only we make fun of our mods @Soli @Bryanbryoil @McDNicks17

Thanks for the heads up. The fact that my fellow HFOil mods and I don't put up with crap doesn't sit well with trolls. Some of them have apparently learned that the hard way. As long as they know that and come here without the purpose of trolling there's no issue.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Wouldn't surprised me if the Lagesson/Bouchard pairing winds up being better than the Russel/Benning pairing. I like Lagesson better as a partner for Bouchard than Russell. Haven't seen Bouch with Russell yet... just not a fan of Russell's D-zone play.

A perfect off season would be trading Russell and Gagner for a top 6 winger " If and only if a few of the young guys are ready" ( Persson and Lagesson )

Reactions: WIOiler

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
A perfect off season would be trading Russell and Gagner for a top 6 winger " If and only if a few of the young guys are ready" ( Persson and Lagesson )

I wouldn't count on another team to give us something as valuable as a top-6 winger for $7M+ of spare parts.

As of right now, their value is probably less than nothing. If we traded them for nothing, it would be a net positive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad