Post-Game Talk: All aboard the Persson hype train

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I didn't get to watch most of the game due to work.
In your guys opinion, who impressed and who didn't? Thanks!

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
He looked good. He has a lot of skill and reads plays well in the offensive zone. It's a long way from regular season hockey but he looked very very good none the less.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He looked good. He has a lot of skill and reads plays well in the offensive zone. It's a long way from regular season hockey but he looked very very good none the less.

He reads plays well all over the ice. Granted it was against scrubs tonight, but compare that to Benning, who looked terrible.

Reactions: McChucky

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
DAVE TIPPETT

Yup.
Liked the breakouts...the puck support was better as well.

Nygard, Persson, Bouchard looked good to me.

Still way too early to get any 'meaningful' info on a player or the team though. :nod:

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Persson was amazing. Bouchard, Neal, Nuge, Klefbom, Lagesson, and Nygard were good too. Haas and Sheahan showed some flashes.

Benning and Khaira had pretty poor showings.

Reactions: Calypso and McAsuno

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Think that might be Persson's spot to lose. He makes plays with the puck and is mobile, modern style D but being 25, you can tell there's a maturity there that 20-22 year olds don't quite have.

Bouchard has tremendous upside, but I think he probably can still use a bit of seasoning.

Think starting him in the A and then getting him up a few months into the season might work better.

Don't think Gagner works on that 2nd line. Possibly Nygard will be a better fit there. He had one nice burst of speed.

Neal looked like savvy vet who can pop a few gimmes, type of player the Oilers have needed for a while.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
My thoughts on each line:

Neal - Nuge - Gagner dominated this game. But it was mostly two of the players, with the third being little more than a warm body.

Nygard - haas - Chiasson great speed and offensive instincts from nygard. Haas got better as the game went on.

Khaira - sheahan - Archibald I loved what I saw from Sheahan. Archibald should be a good energy guy and Khaira with smart plays and some good passes but low effort.

Benson - cave - Russell not much to talk about here. Little ice time and low impact overall.

Klef - Persson wow. I didn't realize what we had in Persson. Klef looking as good as I've seen him in a while.

Lagesson - Bouchard both guys look very good. A nice tandem of a defensive stud and an offensive gem.

Jones - benning neither guy at NHL calibre

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
oilers radio network though..

Yeah...man, that is so brutal. I mute the volume just so I dont have to listen to his forced excitement when he says that.
He sucks the life out of a game.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'd imagine if Persson, Bouchard and others are tied at the end of preseason for who's best on d to break into the lineup, that the tie breaker goes to Persson due to being on a 1 way deal?

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park

Persson was the big standout to pretty much everyone who watched. I liked Haas, Nygaard, Neal, Lagesson, Persson, Booch, Archi, Sheahan, Nuge(obviously), Skinner, Klefbom(obviously), Cave(Showed good speed and was good on the dot tonight as well) and Wells made some decent saves. Who i didn't like was Khaira, Russel(not the dman since he didn't play) and Benning. Benning was borderline hot garbage tonight. Who i'm indifferent about was Jones since i didn't seem him play too much honestly, Gagner who looked really slow on that line with Nuge and Neal(Try Nygaard there please!) and Benson who had a pretty nothing game in my eyes.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I know it's preseason, but I have been dying to see a five man breakout like that for ages now.
Impressed with all the defense hopefuls tonight, particularly Persson and Bouchard.
Nygard, Haas, Archibald, Sheahan all had strong moments. They bring that for 82 games, we'll be well off.
Wish I saw more from Jones, Benson, even Benning tonight

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'd imagine if Persson, Bouchard and others are tied at the end of preseason for who's best on d to break into the lineup, that the tie breaker goes to Persson due to being on a 1 way deal?

I dont think the 1 way deal matters at all.

I would say it would go to Persson for 2 reasons.
First he is older/more experienced and secondly Bouchard wont burn an RFA year....and Boucard will benefit from more AHL time. He can rip it up down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad