News Article: Alfredsson hired by Senators in player development/coaching role

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Or Melnyk after the Stanley cup finals loss in the locker room talking about rings the size of a mooses head ...
Was that when he went in talking about his past as a house league goalie or something?

God I wish we would get like a tell all of his lunacy as owner. Would be fun.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
So much for "Alfie won't come back as long as Dorion is here".

Looks like Melnyk truly was the reason Alfie left after all.
I remember a few years ago the media overheard Alfie tell former mayer Watson that they needed a new owner so yeah, seems like a safe bet to assume Melnyk was the problem. That happened around the time Melnyk and his partner for Lebreton Flats were having issues. So glad he's back wher he belongs.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023

Who was coach when he was starting out again? :nod:

I think he was referring to Jacques Martin's tenure as they were terrible in the beginning until Martin provided them a defensive structure, that's when they started improving.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Apparently, Alfredsson reports directly to Staios, and the full scope of his responsibilities will be fleshed out over the coming year. We'll see what the title ends up being. Likely depends on how Staios restructures the org, and who the new GM and coach is.

Usually, the coaching and development staff is under the purview of the General Manager, so it's curious that Staios made the announcement, not Pierre. On other teams, it's not something the POHO spends time on, they trust the GM to make those calls. Here, Staios was specific in saying it was him who made the hire.

It sounds like Dorion was left out of the decision-making process.
It's so great that ownership and senior management hold Alfredsson in such high regard (deservedly so). I know we were expecting this hire, was glad to hear that he will also be doing coaching.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I remember a few years ago the media overheard Alfie tell former mayer Watson that they needed a new owner so yeah, seems like a safe bet to assume Melnyk was the problem. That happened around the time Melnyk and his partner for Lebreton Flats were having issues. So glad he's back wher he belongs.
Not to mention the whole going to Detroit over broken promises fiasco. Murray was GM at the time, so Alfie's beef wouldn't have been with Dorion on that one either.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
What? MA made this “move” and not SS?
Just what we need another meddling owner.

View attachment 752339
Last month, Andlauer was asked about celebrities surrounding other bids and he said he had the biggest celebrity of them all, Alfredsson. Wanting Alfredsson to be part of the organization is not meddling. Other alumni are involved with the organization, why not him? Also, it's SS that will decide his role/position, not Andlauer. I'm sure Andlauer and SS discussed this previously. Alfredsson was in contact with Andlauer during he bidding process so it seems, he was always part of the plan. If this is what meddling looks like, I'll take it.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
wow such a throwback to his playing days to see him taking interviews like this and wearing senators merch.

Watching that interview had me with the biggest smile the whole time. Warms the heart

My favourite Sen of all time even over Karlsson… the young core is gonna benefit so much from this.

Might end up being an assistant coach and work his way up to head coach eventually imo

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
IMG_9925.jpeg

Anybody else forget how red Alfie’s nose got when he was on the ice?

• Love
Reactions: DylanSensFan

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Bringing back the most beloved player in franchise history to work with our players ≠ meddling = being rude, insulting, vulgar, and petulant in a way that made everyone you interact with dislike you

Reactions: LiseL

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I thought Dorion was still in charge of the coaching and development staff? Guess not. Don’t GMs usually hire the coaches? They didn’t even give him a pity quote as part of the announcement to make it seem like he was involved. Nobody, not Andlauer, Staios or Alfredsson mentioned him today. How embarrassing for the guy.

If Toronto hired a new development coach, I bet Treliving, not Shanahan, would have made the announcement.

I wonder if Dorion’s “office” has already been relocated to the basement. Is he the red stapler guy from Office Space?
#11s role is not strictly a coach, it’s more along the lines of player development…. When MA hired a POHO, and that POHO hires a new member of the Management staff, who also has the ability to pass on years of experience to current players on the roster and in the system, this hybrid type of position is not a GMs hire, and let me remind you a GM who reports to the POHO.

But if you dislike PD so much, that you want to spin this into a negative aimed at PD, who now has a reduced role when a POHO was hired… go for it, if it makes you happy.

Last month, Andlauer was asked about celebrities surrounding other bids and he said he had the biggest celebrity of them all, Alfredsson. Wanting Alfredsson to be part of the organization is not meddling. Other alumni are involved with the organization, why not him? Also, it's SS that will decide his role/position, not Andlauer. I'm sure Andlauer and SS discussed this previously. Alfredsson was in contact with Andlauer during he bidding process so it seems, he was always part of the plan. If this is what meddling looks like, I'll take it.
My point exactly…. Sarcasm much?

Reactions: aragorn

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Maybe it's because I'm old now (41 👴🏼) but I felt a bit emotional seeing Alfie on the ice with us and being interviewed. God, still remember when we drafted him and his rookie year. I sort of stopped loving the NHL when we lost him in 2013. He was such an important player and person to Ottawa. He should have a job/role with this franchise for life, imo

Reactions: LiseL

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Maybe it's because I'm old now (41 👴🏼) but I felt a bit emotional seeing Alfie on the ice with us and being interviewed. God, still remember when we drafted him and his rookie year. I sort of stopped loving the NHL when we lost him in 2013. He was such an important player and person to Ottawa. He should have a job/role with this franchise for life, imo

It's been... 10 years.... since we lost him..?

Where has the time gone... what?

Reactions: DrEasy

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
The Habits from a work ethic stand point, compete level and sticking up for teammates are very good. Swing and a miss on that one.

Can you honestly tell me you know how to identify an NHL teams systems? Without looking it up can you explain what a high trap is and how to execute it? Can you explain what a hinge is? Two basic parts of organized hockey systems.

If you think he wasn't coaching at all (which he clearly is) why were their PK and PP good? This goes back to your original post you are looking for a scape goat for this team and for a coach to make individual decisions for the players. Just not realistic.

Again maybe they need a harder coach that will start benching players for selfish mistakes. That I can get behind. But until they have the depth to do it no coach can without losing the room.

The real person to blame for this teams issues is the general manager. They finally had a team that looked like it was built properly, the depth to sustain injuries etc and he screwed up the cap. Its on Dorion if you are looking for the real problem.
It's been a while since I played hockey but the X's & O's or coaching important but less so than other sports like football. You don't need a Bill Belichick.

There are systems that practically work and almost all competent NHL (AHL really) coaches know and understand them.

It choosing the right systems for your player group and having the accountability to get your players to buy into them that is important.

It's the latter where I find DJ deficient more then the former. Players may "like" him but that is not enough. I prefer coaches that players like and respect. (Not a fan of Suter, Torts or Babcock either longterm - balance is important and they always end up losing the room)

I also question his roster delicious around players like Brannstrom & Chabot among many others.

If we are dividing up blame, Dorion definitely owns way more. That we have a good core only proves that he is the "Forrest Gump" of GM's and it pains me to think how much better this team would be with good asset management.

However, I am certain we will never go to the next level under DJ and every game he still has a job is just more time before the inevitable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad