News Article: Alfredsson hired by Senators in player development/coaching role

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The systems suck and the habits suck. So he’s not doing a very good job at any of that stuff. Vibes still seem strong though. Kudos to DJ for that.
The Habits from a work ethic stand point, compete level and sticking up for teammates are very good. Swing and a miss on that one.

Can you honestly tell me you know how to identify an NHL teams systems? Without looking it up can you explain what a high trap is and how to execute it? Can you explain what a hinge is? Two basic parts of organized hockey systems.

If you think he wasn't coaching at all (which he clearly is) why were their PK and PP good? This goes back to your original post you are looking for a scape goat for this team and for a coach to make individual decisions for the players. Just not realistic.

Again maybe they need a harder coach that will start benching players for selfish mistakes. That I can get behind. But until they have the depth to do it no coach can without losing the room.

The real person to blame for this teams issues is the general manager. They finally had a team that looked like it was built properly, the depth to sustain injuries etc and he screwed up the cap. Its on Dorion if you are looking for the real problem.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
How is his back? Was he always a winger, or could he potentially suit up as 2C? Do we have to add him to the cap since he is technically not signed to a standard players contract? Maybe this is how we make room for Pinto.

The Habits from a work ethic stand point, compete level and sticking up for teammates are very good. Swing and a miss on that one.

Can you honestly tell me you know how to identify an NHL teams systems? Without looking it up can you explain what a high trap is and how to execute it? Can you explain what a hinge is? Two basic parts of organized hockey systems.

If you think he wasn't coaching at all (which he clearly is) why were their PK and PP good? This goes back to your original post you are looking for a scape goat for this team and for a coach to make individual decisions for the players. Just not realistic.

Again maybe they need a harder coach that will start benching players for selfish mistakes. That I can get behind. But until they have the depth to do it no coach can without losing the room.

The real person to blame for this teams issues is the general manager. They finally had a team that looked like it was built properly, the depth to sustain injuries etc and he screwed up the cap. Its on Dorion if you are looking for the real problem.

Do you have any good suggestions for books or resources to learn more about organized hockey systems?

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

I don't know what to tell you. DJ Smith has been here for almost 400 games. His teams make the same mistakes, game in and game out. Great guy, but a terrible NHL coach. Dorion is also terrible.

DJ will have a lot of success when he's back in Oshawa, and I'm sure Dorion will build a solid team in Shawinigan.

The sooner that happens, the better.

Also, every single one of our young players got absolutely paid. Let's stop patting them on the back for "compete level." This isn't junior hockey, where trying really hard is the most important thing. Maybe they can go out, win some games and make the playoffs.

Some people treat this team like it's u14 AA. Good effort, everyone had fun and tried hard, let's go to Boston Pizza and celebrate!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So much for "Alfie won't come back as long as Dorion is here".

Looks like Melnyk truly was the reason Alfie left after all.

Reactions: LiseL

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
So much for "Alfie won't come back as long as Dorion is here".

Looks like Melnyk truly was the reason Alfie left after all.

I find it curious that Dorion wasn't the one to make the announcement, nor was a quote from him included in the announcement.

Isn't he still running the day-to-day? Aren't the coaching and development staffs typically under the GMs purview?

Staios said he was the one who talked to Alfredsson about the role. Shouldn't that have been Dorion? Has Dorion already had his responsibilities reduced? Is he not in charge of who the coaches are?

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I never really gave a shit about ex players or the players in general. Hopefully he’s good at whatever role he’s in

If not. He shouldn’t stick around

Last edited:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I see great things in our Future. This was a great move!

Heck, he may even by our next Coach or GM...

Messages Image(185588876).png

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I like this move. Its a positive hire from the new owner who is looking to build within the community as well as on the ice. It's representative of re-building the culture of the whole organization. And hopefully Alfie's positivity and excellence helps that happen.

Wonder who gets to be first for a game of keep-away?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad