News Article: Alfredsson hired by Senators in player development/coaching role

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Well since that was what Alfie said all along that’s where his interest lies several times, it would have been surprising if he wasn't hired that position.
Uh… lotsa folks said he would be coming in as something way above PD like POHO, VP of hockey ops, etc…

Always knew his best place was with the players… great mentor!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Uh… lotsa folks said he would be coming in as something way above PD like POHO, VP of hockey ops, etc…

I wasn’t one of them, a lot of folks believed what Alfie said in the media, there were some that didn’t or didn’t hear what Alfie was saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

Apparently, Alfredsson reports directly to Staios, and the full scope of his responsibilities will be fleshed out over the coming year. We'll see what the title ends up being. Likely depends on how Staios restructures the org, and who the new GM and coach is.

Usually, the coaching and development staff is under the purview of the General Manager, so it's curious that Staios made the announcement, not Pierre. On other teams, it's not something the POHO spends time on, they trust the GM to make those calls. Here, Staios was specific in saying it was him who made the hire.

“Steve reached out to me. We started talking and pretty much asked ‘what would you like to do?'” Alfredsson said.

“Never mind that he’s Daniel Alfredsson, I look at his character and his acumen, I was eager to get him in wherever he wanted,” Staois said. “His role will grow, as we discussed, but he’s got a great deal of passion for the game. We wanted to get him on the ice and get him started.

Basically, Staios let Alfredsson, 50, map out what was the best fit.

It sounds like Dorion was left out of the decision-making process.

Last edited:

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Hopefully we'll look back at this and see it as an inflection point for management of the team. Alfie back in any capacity is a huge win!

While it's been frustrating with the recent lack of activity (or maybe looking back a little longer, some poorly thought out decisions around signings and cap management), I'm impressed so far with Andlauer's hires (Tierney, Leeder, Staios, now Alfie!).

Feels good man. Now just win some f***in games...

Reactions: LiseL and Agent Zub

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Did you listen to Staios? 'That's where he will start'. You're gonna end up disappointed if you think he's gonna be in a secondary role. Or that you think PD survives this.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
I really hope that whatever role he ends up with, it's not any form of GM or coaching position. Those are all roles that have built in expiration dates - they are hired to eventually be fired. Find something for Alfredsson that transcends all that and ensures he's with the org for the long term.

Reactions: LiseL

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Can’t have Alfie being the head coach.

Head coaches get fired and we can’t have Alfie being fired from the organization. He could be promoted up, but that tends to be awkward.

I like what they’re doing, coach/development = a guy who can do some on ice coaching without ever being in the crosshairs.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Another great move by Andlauer

Tick...tock...
What? MA made this “move” and not SS?
Just what we need another meddling owner.

IMG_2799.gif

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I find it curious that Dorion wasn't the one to make the announcement, nor was a quote from him included in the announcement.

Isn't he still running the day-to-day? Aren't the coaching and development staffs typically under the GMs purview?

Staios said he was the one who talked to Alfredsson about the role. Shouldn't that have been Dorion? Has Dorion already had his responsibilities reduced? Is he not in charge of who the coaches are?

hummmmm, the POHO making an announcement of someone he hired….. WTF is up with that?

IMG_2800.gif

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I like this move. Its a positive hire from the new owner who is looking to build within the community as well as on the ice. It's representative of re-building the culture of the whole organization. And hopefully Alfie's positivity and excellence helps that happen.

Wonder who gets to be first for a game of keep-away?

IF MA hired him, why did he hire a POHO to do these type of hirings? Why is SS here if MA is meddling with hockey operations?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
What? MA made this “move” and not SS?
Just what we need another meddling owner.

View attachment 752339
This is different. MA let it out of the bag on day one that he had Alfie in tow and the role would be sorted out. Seems SS did the role part while MA just secured the bag. He said it himself he didn't need a celebrity like Reynolds, Weekend or Snoop Dogg because he already had the biggest Ottawa celebrity in Alfredsson.

Also, lol comparing this to Melnyk's maniacal meddling. C'mon now, lets be real, at least he's not phoning the GM 40 times in 10 minutes to demand firings.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
This is different. MA let it out of the bag on day one that he had Alfie in tow and the role would be sorted out. Seems SS did the role part while MA just secured the bag. He said it himself he didn't need a celebrity like Reynolds, Weekend or Snoop Dogg because he already had the biggest Ottawa celebrity in Alfredsson.

Also, lol comparing this to Melnyk's maniacal meddling. C'mon now, lets be real, at least he's not phoning the GM 40 times in 10 minutes to demand firings.
Or Melnyk after the Stanley cup finals loss in the locker room talking about rings the size of a mooses head ...

• Haha
Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
hummmmm, the POHO making an announcement of someone he hired….. WTF is up with that?

View attachment 752343

I thought Dorion was still in charge of the coaching and development staff? Guess not. Don’t GMs usually hire the coaches? They didn’t even give him a pity quote as part of the announcement to make it seem like he was involved. Nobody, not Andlauer, Staios or Alfredsson mentioned him today. How embarrassing for the guy.

If Toronto hired a new development coach, I bet Treliving, not Shanahan, would have made the announcement.

I wonder if Dorion’s “office” has already been relocated to the basement. Is he the red stapler guy from Office Space?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad