News Article: Alfredsson hired by Senators in player development/coaching role

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
f*** yeah! In Alfie we trust. He was known to mentor rookies and teach them some of his tricks. Good to have a HoFer mentoring this young team.

First task: Norris.

Reactions: SweSensFan

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I know he was never a defenseman, but maybe he can tell the d-core to stop lying down on the ice as soon as an opposing player skates below the circle? DJ doesn't seem to be telling anyone...

"Hey Chabby, when you lie down, you know forwards can just skate around you, right?"

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I know he was never a defenseman, but maybe he can tell the d-core to stop lying down on the ice as soon as an opposing player skates below the circle? DJ doesn't seem to be telling anyone...

"Hey Chabby, when you lie down, you know forwards can just skate around you, right?"
This is DJ's fault? Holy smokes what power this guy has over this roster. Players cant make decisions on their own at all I guess.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
This is DJ's fault? Holy smokes what power this guy has over this roster. Players cant make decisions on their own at all I guess.

So, we have a roster filled with stupid players? I guess maybe that's true. Chabot seems to be all toolbox zero brains.

Alfredsson should start a remedial class between 9-10 a.m. every morning, teaching basic positioning. Several players could use it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So, we have a roster filled with stupid players? I guess maybe that's true. Chabot seems to be all toolbox zero brains.
Sens fans are going to have to come to grips with holding players accountable and not blaming everything on the coach because its an easy way out. Coach cant shoot for the players and make them score on open looks. He cant make Brannstrom not get run over on the forcheck. He cant make Chabot not lose his man on a one on one battle, he cant make Chyrchurn get the puck in deep at the oppositions blue line. He cant make Korpisalo not try and catch shots going over his blocker shoulder. There are things that are in the coachs control and frankly Ottawa was very good in the first period when they played like he wanted them to. The bad habits crept in after that.

Now if you want to say to me that DJ hasnt held them accountable enough that I can get behind. But asking them to read and react or not make a stupid selfish play with the puck thats on the players.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Sens fans are going to have to come to grips with holding players accountable and not blaming everything on the coach because its an easy way out. Coach cant shoot for the players and make them score on open looks. He cant make Brannstrom not get run over on the forcheck. He cant make Chabot not lose his man on a one on one battle, he cant make Chyrchurn get the puck in deep at the oppositions blue line. He cant make Korpisalo not try and catch shots going over his blocker shoulder. There are things that are in the coachs control and frankly Ottawa was very good in the first period when they played like he wanted them to. The bad habits crept in after that.

Now if you want to say to me that DJ hasnt held them accountable enough that I can get behind. But asking them to read and react or not make a stupid selfish play with the puck thats on the players.

I'm not disagreeing with that. It's on the players, at the end of the day.

But what does DJ Smith do, exactly, then? He's not a strategist like Guy Boucher. He doesn't match lines well. He can't seem to keep players focused through a 60-minute game. When players mess up, he shrugs his shoulders.

Maybe the playlists he puts on in the locker room are just so incredible we have to keep him around?

But I won't hijack my own thread. It's great to have Alfredsson back in the fold.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Alfie actually WAS a defenseman growing up. :thumbu:

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

But what does DJ Smith do, exactly, then? He's not a strategist like Guy Boucher. He doesn't match lines well. He can't seem to keep players focused through a 60-minute game. When players mess up, he shrugs his shoulders.

Maybe the playlists he puts on in the locker room are just so incredible we have to keep him around?

But I won't hijack my own thread. It's great to have Alfredsson back in the fold.
I mean if you dont think he is coaching them with systems, day to day habits etc then I dont really know if we should bother continuing the discussion. Every coach is a strategist... He hasnt had the depth to match lines and still doesnt because of the current incompetent GM.

I actually find it incredible that people actually think that he doesnt do anything. Its mind boggling.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

he keeps the players happy, they get to play hockey how they want. so player morale is always high even if the team is losing, team is never called out. frat boy country club with big paycheques. everyone happy.

that is what DJ does. protect the ego of his top players even if it comes at the cost of competitiveness.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
I mean if you dont think he is coaching them with systems, day to day habits etc then I dont really know if we should bother continuing the discussion. Every coach is a strategist... He hasnt had the depth to match lines and still doesnt because of the current incompetent GM.

I actually find it incredible that people actually think that he doesnt do anything. Its mind boggling.

The systems suck and the habits suck. So he’s not doing a very good job at any of that stuff. Vibes still seem strong though. Kudos to DJ for that.

Both DJ and Dorion are amateur hour. They belong in junior hockey, not the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad