Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What would be the difference between going by draft year vs age? Just curious
There are exceptions, and certainly Hughes might be one of them given his size, but the idea is that pro experience is a lot more valuable than 5 months of physical growth.

If Lafreniere were born a month earlier, he gets drafted a whole ass year earlier. That's one month of age and (with covid) making his NHL debut FIFTEEN months earlier.

If Laf had been in the NHL since 1 Oct 2020, he'd probably be a lot more advanced right now. It's not like he got any bigger and spending that entire 18yo season toying around in the Q was largely a waste of time for him.

The Lucky Pucks

Apr 29, 2017
Another assist today for the bust. He has 3 points in his last 4 games.

Can some of you start being quiet? He's starting to get a little of the on ice shooting luck that he had almost none of to begin the season. We've been saying all season that he's playing okay. He wasn't getting any luck.

So if he has 0 points in his next 5 games your excuse will be...?

Reactions: vtdevils2k

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Can some of you start being quiet? He's starting to get a little of the on ice shooting luck that he had almost none of to begin the season. We've been saying all season that he's playing okay. He wasn't getting any luck.

Sorry, but it's ok to comment when the #1OA pick has 4 points in his first 19 games. Fair or not, but #1 picks will be held to a higher standard than other rookies. Doesn't mean he's a bust, just means his rookie season is not going as well as many predicted.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
"If you compare by either random asspull metrics of the last 18 years or cup wins from the last 95 years (over half of which the Devils didn't exist) and nothing in between Rangers come out ahead. This is logical and in no way incredibly dumb. Also spending a Saturday night digging up a dozen comically obscure statistics is in no way an on the nose manifestation of an inferiority complex"

1- I didn't spend "Saturday night" on the post. I spend about 30 minutes during a pandemic where we can't go anywhere anyway on a rainy night.

2- The metrics were neither "random" nor "asspulled." I pulled recent info (the last ten years, as neither team has any players still on the roster from ten years ago), more expanded info (ie: "since the lockout"--a point which signified a change in the way the game is played), all time win percentage--not win totals, which might have been skewed by the Rangers' longer history, and all time head-to-head in both the regular season and the postseason.

A DEVILS fan accused Rangers fans of being comfortable with losing and having an inferiority complex to NJ. The Devils lose at a higher rate all time, recently, since the lockout, head-to-head, and in the post-season than the Rangers, who are clearly ahead in every one of those metrics, despite the Devils getting TEN top-5 draft picks to the Rangers' two. Rangers fans aren't the ones apparently comfortable with losing, as as for the inferiority complex, just look at the damn thread--it's about a RANGERS prospect and it's full of pissy little Devils fans.

TL/DR: Don't throw shade without doing your homework.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
But it is a case where literally every single way you could choose to look at it, the Rangers have had more success than the Devils.

Except, of course, the number of Cups most fans of each franchise have seen their team win in their lifetime, which favors the Devils 3-1. Personally, I'd put that above anything else.

Other than that, solid stats.

Reactions: Nicomo Cosca

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC

Well he was invisible again. Nice he picked up an assist but he was not noticeable. He’s not what we all expected so we are allowed to criticize him. He was expected to be a line driver and he isn’t.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Except, of course, the number of Cups most fans of each franchise have seen their team win in their lifetime, which favors the Devils 3-1. Personally, I'd put that above anything else.

Other than that, solid stats.

So I would assume you think that the Islanders, with their four Cups in the modern era, are a far superior franchise than the Devils? What? No? Suddenly records and head to head play and post-season appearances matter? Le shocked, I say. Le shocked. :)

If your team loses in quite literally every statistical comparative category, and the only way you can dance in the end zone is to construct a span of time wherein you team leads in one of those categories, then the inferiority complex lives in Jersey, not NYC. The guy said the Rangers are comfortable with losing. The Devils have lost more in general, and they have lost more to the Rangers.

And let's be real, with the average age on this website, it's a fairly decent chance that 50+% of the people on these boards haven't been alive long enough to see EITHER of these teams hoist Lord Stanley and if they WERE alive, they were likely in diapers.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
So I would assume you think that the Islanders, with their four Cups in the modern era, are a far superior franchise than the Devils? What? No? Suddenly records and head to head play and post-season appearances matter? Le shocked, I say. Le shocked. :)

If your team loses in quite literally every statistical comparative category, and the only way you can dance in the end zone is to construct a span of time wherein you team leads in one of those categories, then the inferiority complex lives in Jersey, not NYC. The guy said the Rangers are comfortable with losing. The Devils have lost more in general, and they have lost more to the Rangers.

And let's be real, with the average age on this website, it's a fairly decent chance that 50+% of the people on these boards haven't been alive long enough to see EITHER of these teams hoist Lord Stanley and if they WERE alive, they were likely in diapers.

The people on this site are old as shit. This is the oldest corner of hockey talk on the internet. You know how I know? They say Le shocked.

And your argument is terrible. The Devils are easily the best of the 3 teams given their Cup record and ability to compete in their history.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
The people on this site are old as shit. This is the oldest corner of hockey talk on the internet. You know how I know? They say Le shocked.

And your argument is terrible. The Devils are easily the best of the 3 teams given their Cup record and ability to compete in their history.

I never said I wasn't old, but this site has a ton of teens and younger 20-somethings. You know how I know? Because they can look at a literal list of statistics all showing that the Devils lose more than the Ranger and lose more often TO the Rangers...and then they come back and insist that the opposite is true.

I'm tired of this nonsense. I put the information out there and now four different homer Devils fans have responded with the rhetorical equivalent of "nuh uh."

You want to go out and find ANY non-doctored stat that challenges my point? Go ahead. Otherwise, you can all collectively drop the superior attitude because your team was factually proven to be a bigger loser than the Rangers in every measurable way.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I never said I wasn't old, but this site has a ton of teens and younger 20-somethings. You know how I know? Because they can look at a literal list of statistics all showing that the Devils lose more than the Ranger and lose more often TO the Rangers...and then they come back and insist that the opposite is true.

I'm tired of this nonsense. I put the information out there and now four different homer Devils fans have responded with the rhetorical equivalent of "nuh uh."

You want to go out and find ANY non-doctored stat that challenges my point? Go ahead. Otherwise, you can all collectively drop the superior attitude because your team was factually proven to be a bigger loser than the Rangers in every measurable way.

I'm not a Devils fan. I can't stand them. But if you want to go apeshit looking for some factual way the Devils have been better than the Rangers in the past two to three decades and can't find it, then I'm not going to move any mountains to help you.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So if he has 0 points in his next 5 games your excuse will be...?
Sorry, but it's ok to comment when the #1OA pick has 4 points in his first 19 games. Fair or not, but #1 picks will be held to a higher standard than other rookies. Doesn't mean he's a bust, just means his rookie season is not going as well as many predicted.
Well he was invisible again. Nice he picked up an assist but he was not noticeable. He’s not what we all expected so we are allowed to criticize him. He was expected to be a line driver and he isn’t.

The people concerned are the people who have no real vested interest in his level of play.

The people who watch him every game are telling all of you we don’t see a real reason to be concerned.

Now he’s scoring points when he actually has some on ice luck, as was said would happen by those that see him play every game and were watching these games others complained about, and there are still complaints. Lafreniere can’t win.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

First time with a 1st OA pick in a while? Don't worry it gets easier.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He’s showing enough flashes of the player he will be. He looked the part Friday night. I think something like 8-12-20 is a realistic final line. I’ll predict 16 points in his next 37 games.

Reactions: Declassified

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
1- I didn't spend "Saturday night" on the post. I spend about 30 minutes during a pandemic where we can't go anywhere anyway on a rainy night.

2- The metrics were neither "random" nor "asspulled." I pulled recent info (the last ten years, as neither team has any players still on the roster from ten years ago), more expanded info (ie: "since the lockout"--a point which signified a change in the way the game is played), all time win percentage--not win totals, which might have been skewed by the Rangers' longer history, and all time head-to-head in both the regular season and the postseason.

A DEVILS fan accused Rangers fans of being comfortable with losing and having an inferiority complex to NJ. The Devils lose at a higher rate all time, recently, since the lockout, head-to-head, and in the post-season than the Rangers, who are clearly ahead in every one of those metrics, despite the Devils getting TEN top-5 draft picks to the Rangers' two. Rangers fans aren't the ones apparently comfortable with losing, as as for the inferiority complex, just look at the damn thread--it's about a RANGERS prospect and it's full of pissy little Devils fans.

TL/DR: Don't throw shade without doing your homework.

Dude you posted more walls of text than every devils fan combined in this thread in your attempt to not be seen as thin skinned. You're also the first and last person in history to care about "all time win percentage". If your participation in this thread doesn't scream giant cope I don't know what does

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Why do Devil fans have to continually display their ignored stepchild syndrome in every thread concerning the Rangers?

Kind of a cognitive dissonance ... confirmatory bias. people in general want to support their own team and deny that the team might have made a mistake at any point. Therefore they upvote anything that supports them and needs to prove that their team's decision wasn't bad. Of course it can lead to kind of "buyers remorse" too, but this is the opposition of that.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I never said anything about any franchise being "far superior", so not sure what that rant of yours is all about.

You said "But it is a case where literally every single way you could choose to look at it, the Rangers have had more success than the Devils" and that is just patently false.

What matters most in sports is winning championships. That is how most fans and those in the industry ultimately measure "success". For me personally, since I am at an age where I was able to enjoy each of the Devils 3 Stanley Cups it was certainly more advantageous for me to be a Devils fan versus a Ranger fan as is the case with some of my friends. You can have the better head-to-head record, more playoff wins over the past 10 years, etc. - I'll gladly sacrifice those for the 3 Cup wins I was able to enjoy versus the 1 for my Ranger friends. For my kids, however, since neither team has won a Cup in their lifetimes, maybe they would've been better off so far had they been Ranger fans as the Rangers have had more success than the Devils in recent years.

Non-doctored stat - since the Devils existed, they have won 3x the amount of Cups as the Rangers.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I honestly question whether or not you have even seen him play.
I think he was really good on Friday, best game since his premier. Sunday I didn't notice him all that much. Made a fine play on the assist to Blackwell but he just wasn't very noticeable.

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
This is always an exercise in expectation setting.

For Laf, I have no expectations because he's new to the league. 1st overalls can be all over the spectrum, especially in year 1.

Zib is the real disappointment as we have a track record to form expectations. Disappointment is an understatement, he has been a travesty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad