Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If he wasn't there, I bet dollars to donuts Buch's shot goes back through the crease and wide out the other side. That's how the season has been so far with our scoring. (lack there of)
They showed the goal line angle, it was definitely going in.

Glad to see the kid's puck luck reversing. He was due a few freebies. Despite his current streak I really haven't been very impressed with his impact except for his game Friday night. He's looking more confident, but still not dictating the play enough.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
He is a no. 1 overall pick for a reason and he did play very well in the WJC tournament last year too. The NHL learning curve is normally 14 + games and given the compact schedule this season probably even takes longer because it is more grinding, less time for practice, and not having crowd in the stands can also has an effect for the rookie. Every one has a learning curve, even for the top prospect.

He will get there and the good thing is that it cannot get worse for him so he only has to take one shift at a time. As an Isles fan, I would be worry that he may catch fire later in the year, and so may his team once they have everyone back in the lineup. Remember that he has good size and once the game slow down enough for him, he may be a player who will be hard to deal with for the opposing team.

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Nothing about his game looks elite. Just solid at everything. Lacks a dynamic component to his game that a player like Stutzle has. Physically not much to grow either.

Very interesting how this player turns out.

Reactions: Kofi Annan

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
But but my advanced stats told me he will get 100 points.:sarcasm:

upload_2021-3-3_11-33-14.png

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
18:35 last night, more TOI than any other Rangers forward. To the disappointment of some hfboards posters it seems the Rangers coaching staff like what they're seeing lately. Now that the rust is off I'm excited to see the rest of his season.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Nothing about his game looks elite. Just solid at everything. Lacks a dynamic component to his game that a player like Stutzle has. Physically not much to grow either.

Very interesting how this player turns out.

He has elite vision and hockey IQ. Don't let a tough 20 games AT A NEW LEVEL after 10 months off fool you.

Unless your definition of "elite skill" is similar to Alex Semin that is ;)

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
All Gretzky did was fake slap hot and then put it in an empty net
Theres no denying goalies and D were awful during that period.

The impressive thing about Gretzky is not his totals, but how far ahead of his peers he was in his numbers. Truly awful defending and goaltending in that era, as someone who grew up on mid 90s hockey ( I was 10 in 95) I cannot stand to watch highlights of 70s and 80s hockey, its a completely different game now, defensive tactics have come a long way since those days. Hell, D looked awkward as hell skating backwards.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I also could have scored the goal he scored tonight.
Come on now. That is just silly. Lets say you were able to sneak past security, get dressed in the Rangers lockeroom with perfectly matched gear and jersey. Wouldn't a coach notice before putting you on the ice? Say a coach didn't notice. There would be 6 skaters on the ice if you went out with Laf's line. You really have to think these things out thoroughly. :D

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Doesn’t count. He got lucky. When he gets lucky, it doesn’t count because the only reason the puck went in was luck. When he gets unlucky, it doesn’t matter because the puck didn’t go in.

I'm not criticizing him, but Buchnevich did all the work on that goal, and it looked like the puck was going in regardless of Lafreniere standing there.

I dont mind the lucky goals, it helps with confidence, but I dont think he played a particularly great game yesterday because he scored a lucky goal.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not criticizing him, but Buchnevich did all the work on that goal, and it looked like the puck was going in regardless of Lafreniere standing there.

I dont mind the lucky goals, it helps with confidence, but I dont think he played a particularly great game yesterday because he scored a lucky goal.

I think he played some good enough games so far through 20 games where he wasn't getting any puck luck. I think its only fair that it evens out over the course of a long season. I don't get the complaining that it was lucky. All this stuff evens out in hockey. He wasn't getting lucky earlier in the season, so he's starting to get a little luckier eventually. We should use the full picture.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
How'd I know he would start producing after Panarin got sat? Hockey is just dumb like that, so predictable.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I think he played some good enough games so far through 20 games where he wasn't getting any puck luck. I think its only fair that it evens out over the course of a long season. I don't get the complaining that it was lucky. All this stuff evens out in hockey. He wasn't getting lucky earlier in the season, so he's starting to get a little luckier eventually. We should use the full picture.

I agree. He had lousy luck to start the year. I remember some games where he hit multiple cross bars [on some nifty moves too]. Over the course of the season, I agree that the law of averages will even it out.

But again, for a young kid like Lafreniere, I am all for the lucky goals, let's get him some confidence and point streaks going.

I just didn't think him standing there and scoring that goal was indicative of him playing a good game yesterday.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
Theres no denying goalies and D were awful during that period.

The impressive thing about Gretzky is not his totals, but how far ahead of his peers he was in his numbers. Truly awful defending and goaltending in that era, as someone who grew up on mid 90s hockey ( I was 10 in 95) I cannot stand to watch highlights of 70s and 80s hockey, its a completely different game now, defensive tactics have come a long way since those days. Hell, D looked awkward as hell skating backwards.
Yes I agree. What Gretzky did was incredible and I take nothing away from him, he’s the GOAT, but man watching the highlights some of the plays were ridiculous and goalies would basically be playing like soccer goalies by running out at the shooter only to be faked by Gretzky and leaving him with a wide open net

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Laf will be fine. Past few games he's been shaking the rust off, as a post above said.

Now if you want to to talk about draft busts, Byfield has one goal in 10 AHL games :sarcasm:

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
He is a no. 1 overall pick for a reason and he did play very well in the WJC tournament last year too. The NHL learning curve is normally 14 + games and given the compact schedule this season probably even takes longer because it is more grinding, less time for practice, and not having crowd in the stands can also has an effect for the rookie. Every one has a learning curve, even for the top prospect.

He will get there and the good thing is that it cannot get worse for him so he only has to take one shift at a time. As an Isles fan, I would be worry that he may catch fire later in the year, and so may his team once they have everyone back in the lineup. Remember that he has good size and once the game slow down enough for him, he may be a player who will be hard to deal with for the opposing team.

This is what is happening to Carter Hart just in his true sophomore season. Played fantastic last year for a rookie goalie and put up phenomenal playoff stats. This year the team was even more awful at team D then they are currently and while he's not absolved of all blame he's just had a rough stretch thats being so blown out of proportion because of the short season. These are young guys that have alot of potential that is obvious, Laff will he fine regardless of this season

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
you’re pretty quiet after your team shit the bed for the 3rd straight game. what’s your excuse tonight? 13-1 over 2 games. lol humiliating:
I don't play for the Oilers. I am not humiliated. Im also not a classless a*hole that single fans out after a loss. Don't you worry, enjoy your games now, eat and drink and be merry.

I used to be up and down with every win or loss back in high school but I learned in 2006 that win or lose it has no effect on my life and the sun still comes up the next day.

It boils down to effort and I still think the first 2 games weren't domination against the Oilers, last night most certainly was.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don't play for the Oilers. I am not humiliated. Im also not a classless a*hole that single fans out after a loss. Don't you worry, enjoy your games now, eat and drink and be merry.

I used to be up and down with every win or loss back in high school but I learned in 2006 that win or lose it has no effect on my life and the sun still comes up the next day.

It boils down to effort and I still think the first 2 games weren't domination against the Oilers, last night most certainly was.
I actually physically cringed reading his post. Apologies on behalf of all adult Leafs fans.

ScaryCarey31

Aug 16, 2018
I knew his game wouldn't translate to the NHL, atleast right away. In juniors he was dangling, skating through defensemen, making everyone look foolish. Idc who you are, you're not doing that at the NHL level. There's no doubt he belongs in the league, we'll just have to wait and see I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad