Alexis Lafreniere disappointing season start? PART 2

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Why do the Rangers fans always have to show their inferiority complex and cry when Devils fans post? You would think with the history of losing they would have tougher skin.

...Some points to consider before any NJ fan starts tossing out "history of losing" attacks against the Rangers:

-The Rangers all time winning percentage is higher than the Devils.
-The Rangers have more Stanley Cups than the Devils.

-Over the last ten years, NJD have a win % of 44.1%, with 2 playoff appearances and only 3 series wins.
-Over the last ten years, NYR have a win % of 53.7%, with 7 playoff appearances and 9 series wins.

-Going back to stats from after the 2004 lockout, it just gets worse for the Devils and better for the Rangers.
-In that span, the Devils have won 5 playoff rounds (in 15 years). The Rangers have won 11 playoff rounds in that same span.

-The Devils have missed the playoffs in 8 of the last ten years, and have only won a SINGLE playoff game in the last 8 years.
-The Rangers have only missed the playoffs in 3 of the last ten years, and have won THIRTY-SIX playoff games in the last 8 years.

-Head to head, the Rangers lead the series 117-103-21-10, and that's not even counting the games the Rangers played against the KC Scouts or the Colorado Rockies (21-9-6-0).
-The Rangers also have the edge in head to head encounters in the post-season, winning four of the six series against the Devils.

I admit, that when I went digging for this info, I didn't expect it to be so overwhelmingly in favor of the Rangers. But it is a case where literally every single way you could choose to look at it, the Rangers have had more success than the Devils. So do tell me more about "inferiority complexes," "skin toughness," and "histories of losing."

Reactions: Unpredictable1

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
...Some points to consider before any NJ fan starts tossing out "history of losing" attacks against the Rangers:

-Over the last ten years, NJD have a win % of 44.1%, with 2 playoff appearances and only 3 series wins.
-Over the last ten years, NYR have a win % of 53.7%, with 7 playoff appearances and 9 series wins.

-Going back to stats from after the 2004 lockout, it just gets worse for the Devils and better for the Rangers.
-In that span, the Devils have won 5 playoff rounds (in 15 years). The Rangers have won 11 playoff rounds in that same span.

-The Devils have missed the playoffs in 8 of the last ten years, and have only won a SINGLE playoff game in the last 8 years.
-The Rangers have only missed the playoffs in 3 of the last ten years, and have won THIRTY-SIX playoff games in the last 8 years.

-Head to head, the Rangers lead the series 117-103-21-10, and that's not even counting the games the Rangers played against the KC Scouts or the Colorado Rockies (21-9-6-0).
-The Rangers also have the edge in head to head encounters in the post-season, winning four of the six series against the Devils.

I admit, that when I went digging for this info, I didn't expect it to be so overwhelmingly in favor of the Rangers. But it is a case where literally every single way you could choose to look at it, the Rangers have had more success than the Devils. So do tell me more about "inferiority complexes," "skin toughness," and "histories of losing."

You can't be serious with this post lol.

This has nothing to do with anything. Rangers have been in existence longer than how many NHL teams?

You also purposely left out the last time the Devils won a playoff series, which happened to be against the Rangers of course.

Your digging proves nothing, come on already. Devils and Rangers have done what exactly since 2012/2014 besides get top picks in the draft?

This entire thread proves nothing either. Laf will be fine, but he has indeed been disappointing as he was hyped to be NHL ready and supposed to put up big points. Every player goes at his own pace, simple as that. He'll be fine.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia

This has nothing to do with anything. Rangers have been in existence longer than how many NHL teams?

You also purposely left out the last time the Devils won a playoff series, which happened to be against the Rangers of course.

Your digging proves nothing, come on already. Devils and Rangers have done what exactly since 2012/2014 besides get top picks in the draft?

This entire thread proves nothing either. Laf will be fine, but he has indeed been disappointing as he was hyped to be NHL ready and supposed to put up big points. Every player goes at his own pace, simple as that.

I give @bigdog16 a lot of credit. He's been consistent and is a good poster

A lot of people were all over Hughes and his rookie season. Kid was undersized but had the IQ/talent etc to play...also had god awful Wayne Simmonds next to him. Laf will be fine.

Ranger fans, hope Kakko gets healthy soon and is okay by the way

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

I just made you go on this fishing expedition and you ask about "skin toughness":sarcasm:

Tell me more about these Stanley cups the Rangers have. I do wonder why you shy away from talking more about them.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

This entire thread proves nothing either. Laf will be fine, but he has indeed been disappointing as he was hyped to be NHL ready and supposed to put up big points. Every player goes at his own pace, simple as that.

I specifically mentioned all time AND all time head to head, and brought up post-season head to head as well. Devils' fans want to toss around terms like "history of losing." "History" doesn't mean that you can lose 4 of 6 playoff meetings and declare victory because you happened to win the most recent one. Also, the Rangers aren't the Devils. Aside from the last two seasons, the Rangers had NEVER gotten top picks in the draft. Even though the Rangers have "been in existence longer than" the Devils, it appears as though the Devils have--in their comparatively briefer history--collected TEN top 5 draft picks where the Rangers, in their existence, have collected just TWO top 5 selections (both in the last two seasons, and both due to lotto luck rather than actually sucking enough to land there).

I agree with your last point, but one of your fellow fans ran his mouth while being ignorant of just how different the actual history of these two teams shakes out. He's got some crow coming.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I just made you go on this fishing expedition and you ask about "skin toughness":sarcasm:

Tell me more about these Stanley cups the Rangers have. I do wonder why you shy away from talking more about them.

Mainly because I had to save room for literally every category in which you can compare two teams, as the Rangers come out on top in every single one. I hadn't even thought to look at top draft selections, but your fellow Devils fan brought it up, and look at that the Devils wind up looking even worse compared to the Rangers.

Also, I research for a living. I enjoy digging up info (and the whole thing took about half an hour). My options were also to either do a bit of hockey research or grade a stack of papers. It wasn't a difficult decision, haha.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I give @bigdog16 a lot of credit. He's been consistent and is a good poster

A lot of people were all over Hughes and his rookie season. Kid was undersized but had the IQ/talent etc to play...also had god awful Wayne Simmonds next to him. Laf will be fine.

Ranger fans, hope Kakko gets healthy soon and is okay by the way

Thank you. I hate the Devils still. But thank you

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That is completely false. And i have been a Hughes fan since pre draft.

I even went to war with you guys in Hughes vs Kakko debates pre draft.

Hughes rookie year sucked, Lafrenieres rookie year sucks. But at this point theres no way you can say Hughes rookie year was better than Lafs. Thats just a clear bias statement
you are the only rangers fan i remember taking hughes side in this discussion. always respected you for not running with the masses.

Reactions: bigdog16

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why do Devil fans have to continually display their ignored stepchild syndrome in every thread concerning the Rangers?

I really don’t think he was taking a deliberate shot at Lafreniere as opposed to saying a fact. John Pedro is generally very fair. One of the more respectable posters on this website.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

"If you compare by either random asspull metrics of the last 18 years or cup wins from the last 95 years (over half of which the Devils didn't exist) and nothing in between Rangers come out ahead. This is logical and in no way incredibly dumb. Also spending a Saturday night digging up a dozen comically obscure statistics is in no way an on the nose manifestation of an inferiority complex"

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Byfield is in the AHL. Seems like Lafreniere very clearly could have used some time down there, though I guess that's hindsight to some extent given the history of performance of 1st OA picks in the NHL right after being drafted (not sure if it was clear in training camp that he didn't look ready).

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I thought he had a great game versus the Bruins. That pass to Strome was excellent, and the backhander against Rask was a flash of brilliance.

I have some issues with the Rangers organization when it comes to developing forwards, but I think Laf (like Kakko) will be fine in the long run.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Byfield is in the AHL. Seems like Lafreniere very clearly could have used some time down there, though I guess that's hindsight to some extent given the history of performance of 1st OA picks in the NHL right after being drafted (not sure if it was clear in training camp that he didn't look ready).
Laf would have had to go back to juniors. Not AHL.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
have you asked the same question last year, when the rangers and kakko fans started the verbal abuse of hughes right after the draft lottery?

if you can't show me a post from back then, you should creep under your stone, patrick.

First, try to do a better job with your writing. Your post doesn't make sense.
Second, I agree, Ranger fans have a rivalry with the Devils fans, but, Devils fans play the role of ignored stepchild, always trying to get attention of Mommy, but will never attain the status of big brother.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Why do the Rangers fans always have to show their inferiority complex and cry when Devils fans post? You would think with the history of losing they would have tougher skin.
I don't speak for everyone, but I have no problem with Devils fans posting. I just wish they would show their ass in every discussion of a Ranger player.
Also, as a Ranger fan, I know that the Devils will always be the second or third tier franchise in the NY/NJ metro, winning or losing.

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
A look at the crossbar he hit last night, for anyone who missed it:

It’s unarguable that he has been disappointing this season so far, but every game I have watched him play he should have picked up a couple points. It’s positively shocking that he only has one assist on the year. He has gotten the “third” assist on the PP several times, and from my viewings he has set up at least a half dozen great chances his teammates simply did not capitalize on.

He has not really showed off his motor at the NHL level, which is surprising, as it is his greatest strength after his IQ. I have zero doubts that he will eventually justify his 1OA selection.

When getting a scoring chance is news for a 1OA....you know he’s been bad

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
tumblr_prt7193EhO1rv0dzt_540.jpg

EvRr3W6XMAE4nrs

EvRr2ulXEAQkWnL
Now do their 19 year old seasons aka this year

Reactions: LeafChief

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To be fair, Jack was 18 his entire rookie year
It's a fair point but it's widely accepted in the analytics community to go by draft year since guys just have different birthdays. I very rarely even see age anymore.

Any time I see Devils fans who I know are of that ilk be disingenuous and at times outright LIE, I feel compelled to remind them and others.

Reactions: Woncka

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
It's a fair point but it's widely accepted in the analytics community to go by draft year since guys just have different birthdays. I very rarely even see age anymore.

Any time I see Devils fans who I know are of that ilk be disingenuous and at times outright LIE, I feel compelled to remind them and others.
What would be the difference between going by draft year vs age? Just curious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->