Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Blowing off steam is fine.

But we've drifted from that. Honestly, some of the threads really borderline on something deeper and more psychological than that. That shift has been coming for a while and we're losing good people because of it. That's sad to me.

Because for as good as we are, we used to be even better. And I hope we don't lose what made this place better than so many of the toxic wastelands that exist out there, because we are slipping a bit. We really are.
Are you saying that people being worried about Lafreniere’s production is symbolic of a toxic atmosphere here?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Yes.

Elite 1C rarely make it to FA. They’re rarely available for trade, especially in their prime years.

Wingers can make it to the FA market and be more readily available in the trade market. If Eichel is available, that’s like Deshaun Watson being available. You pay what you need to and acquire him.
No offense but have you watched this team this season, they aren’t 1 guy off being instant contenders.
also using your jets example if they got first overall and drafted trevor do you then trade that for watson after he looks not too great 3 games in

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Are you saying that people being worried about Lafreniere’s production is symbolic of a toxic atmosphere here?

If it was just that, no I wouldn't say that.

It's the way so many topics are treated. It's the way things are said in them, or how many threads have to be shut down, or cleaned up, or banned. We used to be able to handle those things.

We have a lot more people who dwell now. Or take things out of context. Or repeat a concept like a mantra.

Honestly, there are days it reads less like blowing off steam and more like serious mental illness. And that's a different thing entirely.

You see an increase in what looks like burner accounts. Or you see people who literally pick screen names where you know they are just going to troll one topic.

Earlier tonight I saw a joke about someone who nearly lost an eye for this team. It's not funny. It's sad when that's the direction we go.

Someone else posted something about the coach needing to take a dirt nap. That shit's too much.

It's the fact that it's not about blowing off steam for some people. They're legitimately miserable. If we won the cup, they'd be miserable. And I think they want that toxicity to spread because it makes them feel less alone in the world.

So they adopt online personalities and they say things they'd never dare say in the real world. Or if they did, they'd end up very alone.

And it's sad because it isn't isolated anymore. And you talk to former mods and you realize it isn't isolated anymore.

It just keeps slipping.

So why do I say this?

Because I think on some level it bleeds into more topics than we realize. There's more darkness in them. And that darkness is more widespread.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

It's the way so many topics are treated. It's the way things are said in them, or how many threads have to be shut down, or cleaned up, or banned. We used to be able to handle those things.

We have a lot more people who dwell now. Or take things out of context. Or repeat a concept like a mantra.

Honestly, there are days it reads less like blowing off steam and more like serious mental illness. And that's a different thing entirely.

You see an increase in what looks like burner accounts. Or you see people who literally pick screen names where you know they are just going to troll one topic.

Earlier tonight I saw a joke about someone who nearly lost an eye for this team. It's not funny. It's sad when that's the direction we go.

Someone else posted something about the coach needing to take a dirt nap. That shit's too much.

It's the fact that it's not about blowing off steam for some people. They're legitimately miserable. If we won the cup, they'd be miserable. And I think they want that toxicity to spread because it makes them feel less alone in the world.

So they adopt online personalities and they say things they'd never dare say in the real world. Or if they did, they'd end up very alone.

And it's sad because it isn't isolated anymore. And you talk to former mods and you realize it isn't isolated anymore.

It just keeps slipping.

So why do I say this?

Because I think on some level it bleeds into more topics than we realize. There's more darkness in them. And that darkness is more widespread.
Hey man. You need to see a therapist. :)

Oh, and please don’t leave. You’re just about the only good thing this board has going.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hey man. You need to see a therapist. :)

Or I can just honestly walk away and leave this board to its "WeNeverGetaGood..." destiny.

I mean damn guys, don't be DMing asking if the coach is f***ing the GM. Cmon now.

I also don't care about your politics. ADA screwed himself over. Whether he is a conservative or a liberal has little bearing on his inability to control himself. That's what it comes down to. I really don't want to debate your conspiracy theory.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Or I can just honestly walk away and leave this board to its "WeNeverGetaGood..." destiny.

I mean damn guys, don't be DMing asking if the coach is f***ing the GM. Cmon now.

I also don't care about your politics. ADA screwed himself over. Whether he is a conservative or a liberal has little bearing on his inability to control himself. That's what it comes down to. I really don't want to debate your conspiracy theory.
I say again, please don’t do that.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
RNH scored 0.84PPG in his rookie season.

Yakupov 0.65PPG.

So yes, very good numbers.

I guess that could be good news about small sample sizes? I mean both RNH and Yakupov came into the league with first line/elite/cornerstone tags hanging on their necks. One's a adequate 2nd line center and the other is a bust, out of the league. Taylor Hall is better than both. All drafted by the same team in consecutive years, all hyped up as 1st OA generally are and all three having varied long term results.

I'm bummed about Laf. Really am but it's 15 weird games into a really weird season to start his career so I won't go too crazy. Still he hasn't done much of anything and it really is on him to get to the high danger areas of the ice and so far he doesn't seem willing to do so.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

It just keeps slipping.

So why do I say this?

You have different people of all ages and different personalities, analytics, new school vs old school.
Boards like this are just setup for conflict.

I won't name names but certain mods don't take that into consideration depending on which side they're on and love to exercise their privilege based on their beliefs.

It's unfortunate that this place isn't what it used to be, we've lost a lot of very knowledgeable posters but that's just the way things are...

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
At this point you have to blame the organization. Year in, year out, every offensive prospect performs below even the lowest imaginable standards.

That’s kinda it. When’s the last time the organization has developed a truly great, elite offensive talent? It’s almost like they think theyre perpetually the early 2010s Rangers with a lot of grit but little natural talent, so they have to run and develop their team in that way. The issue is we have naturally gifted players, and I’d rather they sacrifice a little defense for more offense. It doesn’t matter how much buttcheeks Ovechkin sucks defensively when he does what he does offensively. It’s like this organization has never interacted with someone who has the natural offensive talent Lafreniere has, so they’re treating him like any other guy with middle six skill, and we’re not getting much of anything out of it.

The fact it’s Kakko and now Laf showing a similar pattern is a major concern. And even though Kakko looks good, he still isn’t scoring. I’m really scared for Laf.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Devils fans coming in peace, but in a family full of Rangers fans so I follow a bit.

Reminds me of Hughes rookie year. Pretty mediocre coach with little to no system. Skill is evident when you watch, but the scoring isn't there due to organizational issues / whole forward core being snake-bitten.

I don't know if the underlying transition stuff is there with Lafreniere (it was with Hughes), but I have no doubt he'll eventually hit his mark. Hughes has and looks awesome. Once we got rid of Hynes, night and day.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

So what you're saying, is that you decline to comment? Interesting.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Devils fans coming in peace, but in a family full of Rangers fans so I follow a bit.

Reminds me of Hughes rookie year. Pretty mediocre coach with little to no system. Skill is evident when you watch, but the scoring isn't there due to organizational issues / whole forward core being snake-bitten.

I don't know if the underlying transition stuff is there with Lafreniere (it was with Hughes), but I have no doubt he'll eventually hit his mark. Hughes has and looks awesome. Once we got rid of Hynes, night and day.
I don't wanna make the coaching out to be a skeleton key but I don't think a single person here could tell you what our system is. That has to be hard on a young player.

Like, AV sucked his last few years here but I know him inside out. The Flyers are 31st in CF% and 1st in PDO. I could have told you that would happen back in the offseason. Cheat like crazy, play rope-a-dope in your own zone, and if you're not on an odd-man rush, dump it in, turtle, and try again later. That's AV hockey.

I can't even begin to describe Quinn hockey and this is his third season.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So what you're saying, is that you decline to comment? Interesting.

You really feel it's necessary to be a douche?
Shocking..
He's a little frustrated at the moment.
How about we give him a break..

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You really feel it's necessary to be a douche?
Shocking..

I was joking.... obviously.

You read every post on here as if somebody is screaming it in your face.

I actually almost quoted one of your posts and complimented you five minutes ago, to say that I very rarely agree with you, but you always present enough info that I have to at least consider what you're saying.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I was joking.... obviously.

You read every post on here as if somebody is screaming it in your face.

I actually almost quoted one of your posts and complimented you five minutes ago, to say that I very rarely agree with you, but you always present enough info that I have to at least consider what you're saying.

I read posts as they're presented and respond accordingly depending on the tone.
That said.. He's not in a good mood tonight so how about we not bust his balls for a change
Just let it go..

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I read posts as they're presented and respond accordingly depending on the tone.
That said.. He's not in a good mood tonight so how about we not bust his balls for a change
Just let it go..
Maybe don't accuse people of mental illness, though?

And this is not the first time we've heard his spiel about dying on the cross to save the board he created. Get a f***ing grip.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Just let it go..

I agree with him, and liked the majority of his posts on the topic :dunno:

This place has gotten increasingly a little more toxic over the last several years. I catch it seeping into my own posts as well at times.

Like when I jumped down your throat in the Bruins game. I'm sorry about that.

I wasn't trying to belittle his point; just thought of something funny, and posted it. And I'd do it again, goddamnit. I'd do it again.

Reactions: will1066

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I get it.. Sometimes people need to be called out but maybe in this instance it may not be called for.
I know..I should practice what I preach...

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
ThankfulRelievedGentoopenguin-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: FireGerardGallant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad