Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
There is some belief that they need some more Type-A personalities in the room. Even before what we've seen this year, there was hesitation to name Zibanejad and Kreider as captain.

Frankly, under different circumstances, someone like Toews is probably who they'd be looking at for right now.

Toews was my #1 target when the rebuild rumors started leaking out here in Chicago. That is today's equivalent of bringing in Messier (before I get flamed I am NOT saying Toews is nearly as talented as Messier) Have to think his health situation all but negates that option.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Honestly, though, when we start talking about people who lose an eye, or who need to take dirt naps, shit's going beyond dying on a cross.

It's not funny. It's bordering on sick. Seriously.

That's not venting or blowing off steam. That's serious personality deficiency. That is f***ing illness at that point, and I'm not sorry for calling it what it is or speaking on behalf of the list of people who said, "Eww. What the hell was that?"

Permanent disabilities that will impact someone until the day they die? Wanting someone to die? (Which wasn't your comment) Come on now. We ARE better than that.

Yeah, I do die on this cross. Because a lot of hours went into building this place and working to be more than the typical message board and sports outlet of the time. People worked hard and sacrificed to build this place. They built the groundwork for you to have a forum to enjoy, not the other way around.

So yeah, when the toxicity is spreading, and really getting into dark places, you're damn right I'm gonna say something. Because it's so unnecessary.

Let's debate deployments. Let's debate what the numbers tell us. But Jesus, let's not repeat some of the shit we've seen on here lately.

There might be a wider discussion needed here regarding keeping forums from devolving into Twitter and Facebook. In essence, although the characters may overlap (I'm assuming many here have a Twitter and/or Facebook), when we enter a forum, it should feel different than logging on Facebook/Twitter such that it produces different behavior.

It may also just be a product of the evolution of technology and the age of social media. 15 years ago, things were different, but that's stating the obvious. The dynamics and components of it all were drastically different. Forums perhaps are more "social media-esque" now because social media now exists and is a dominant part of society.

The reason I bring this up is because this isn't the first forum I've noticed this occur on (or someone else pointing this development out). It seems systemic. It's not just isolated to this place. It's a wider, broader issue.

Additionally, I'm assuming ages range here quite a bit. Those who have grown up with this stuff vs those who don't in my opinion will experience and interpret things radically different.

Sir, I would prefer you remain here as a consistent member as I enjoy reading your posts. I think I speak for many when I say that. I learn quite a bit from reading your insights and often find myself thinking about a player/coach/management from a different angle after reading your posts.

Apologies to the mods on steering this thing in a direction away from Laf in his thread.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
There is some belief that they need some more Type-A personalities in the room. Even before what we've seen this year, there was hesitation to name Zibanejad and Kreider as captain.

Frankly, under different circumstances, someone like Toews is probably who they'd be looking at for right now.

I’m kind of hoping the Rangers at least kicked the tires on Malkin, while fully acknowledging that he’s approaching 35 and probably won’t be ppg again. One year left on his contract after this season. There was some talk about Pittsburgh looking to shed him and/or Letang and reset while Crosby still has life.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’m kind of hoping the Rangers at least kicked the tires on Malkin, while fully acknowledging that he’s approaching 35 and probably won’t be ppg again. One year left on his contract after this season. There was some talk about Pittsburgh looking to shed him and/or Letang and reset while Crosby still has life.
I think that the front office in Pitt believes that they can get another Cup run with Crosby & Malkin.

Reactions: CasusBelli

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The Dark Ages called. They want you back. Lol

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Talking about Alexis:

I think the kid was brought up a tad premature.

He lacks the physical tools(understandably)to play in the NHL quite yet.

I think a year in Hartford would have helped him tremendously.

Where the team is right now: its hard to find a line that suits him in his development.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I keep my threats to @Thirty One to DM :dunno:

Speaking of which. He's been awfully quiet since the beginning of the season, almost like he's scared to post. The 'Fire Quinn Brigade' has come on since the beginning of the season. Connecting dots... @Thirty One is Quinn.

Talent trumps all but it was something that I always felt hurt the 2011-2015 group. Everybody loves to win. The Rangers had/have a lot of top guys that love to win. There definitely are certain players though that hate to lose almost more than they love to win. I really mean hate to lose in that it really bugs them more than the average person. Henrik Lundqvist was definitely like that. I don't think the Rangers had any top line skaters like that and maybe still don't.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Talent trumps all but it was something that I always felt hurt the 2011-2015 group. Everybody loves to win. The Rangers had/have a lot of top guys that love to win. There definitely are certain players though that hate to lose almost more than they love to win. I really mean hate to lose in that it really bugs them more than the average person. Henrik Lundqvist was definitely like that. I don't think the Rangers had any top line skaters like that and maybe still don't.

I think that even guys like McDonagh and Stepan carried themselves more in that way than any of our top players right now.

I think Lemieux has the right mindset, and Lafreniere and Kakko will; but there is a void in our top guys right now.

As much as losing is inevitable and part of the game, if it isn't disgusting to the guys in the room, then they're starting on their backfoot when competing against teams that have that mentality.

And if I have any one concern about our young guys developing, this is what it's based around. I don't want them to be in a room that finds it embarrassing to lose; I want them to be in a room that's disgusted by it. That said, I don't see Lafreniere ever being content with not winning, so it isn't really much of a concern. Yet.

Reactions: JCProdigy

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Talking about Alexis:

I think the kid was brought up a tad premature.

He lacks the physical tools(understandably)to play in the NHL quite yet.

I think a year in Hartford would have helped him tremendously.

Where the team is right now: its hard to find a line that suits him in his development.

i think he can go to Hartford due to the year of shorter schedules. not sure on the rules so don't count on that

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
"You can be a lion maybe once in your life, but if you don't make this deal, you're a mouse forever."

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly, though, when we start talking about people who lose an eye, or who need to take dirt naps, shit's going beyond dying on a cross.

That's not venting or blowing off steam. That's serious personality deficiency. That is f***ing illness at that point, and I'm not sorry for calling it what it is or speaking on behalf of the list of people who said, "Eww. What the hell was that?"

Permanent disabilities that will impact someone until the day they die? Wanting someone to die? (Which wasn't your comment) Come on now. We ARE better than that.

Yeah, I do die on this cross. Because a lot of hours went into building this place and working to be more than the typical message board and sports outlet of the time. People worked hard and sacrificed to build this place. They built the groundwork for you to have a forum to enjoy, not the other way around.

So yeah, when the toxicity is spreading, and really getting into dark places, you're damn right I'm gonna say something. Because it's so unnecessary.

Let's debate deployments. Let's debate what the numbers tell us. But Jesus, let's not repeat some of the shit we've seen on here lately.
Ok, I won't make fun of Staal anymore. I apologize for that.

I think you bring tremendous value here and we root for the same team. We're both well-known posters. I don't want there to be any animosity.

I just feel, at times, you talk down on people for arguing and having strong opinions in a way that isn't toxic or destructive. We're not all as patient as you are, and that's fine.

Maybe my perception is wrong. I don't see every post and I certainly don't know what gets sent to you, but that's the feeling I get. That's why I said something.

There's one more thing I should mention privately...

Reactions: CasusBelli

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

It’s hard, man. There’s a lot of days where I have like maybe 5-10 minutes to open my phone and see what’s going on here, but other than that I don’t have free time until like after 6:00 PM. And this is without wives and kids like some of the other mods.

Threads spin out of control pretty rapidly when there’s a new post every minute.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It’s hard, man. There’s a lot of days where I have like maybe 5-10 minutes to open my phone and see what’s going on here, but other than that I don’t have free time until like after 6:00 PM. And this is without wives and kids like some of the other mods.

Threads spin out of control pretty rapidly when there’s a new post every minute.
Promote a young whippersnapper with free time like me to mod :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad