Player Discussion Alexis Lafrenière

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I'm praying at this point.

I can't have this guy be this bad. I'll be more insane than I already am.
I think a lot of these guys are confused as to what they’re supposed to be doing system-wise out there. I mean we see it under Quinn running on what? Three years plus now? Lafreniere is too good a prospect. I don’t worry about him too much. I do wish he’d be more noticeable though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think a lot of these guys are confused as to what they’re supposed to be doing system-wise out there. I mean we see it under Quinn running on what? Three years plus now? Lafreniere is too good a prospect. I don’t worry about him too much. I do wish he’d be more noticeable though.
Right, I wanna see some of that tenacity we've heard about. But you know how Quinn reacts to penalties from young players.

At least Kakko looks like the real deal recently.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I can't pinpoint the exact problem but I just found myself yelling "f***ing do something!" at Kakko last year.

I'm going through the same thing with Lafreniere right now. He just doesn't do anything.

Coincidence? Pattern with the coaching staff?
We need to hang our hats on that. If it’s not that, I mean, I’m not a superstitious person but, maybe it’s just not meant to be for us Ranger fans.

Meanwhile Stutzle scored another ridiculous individual effort goal tonight and was key to another one, scored by everyone’s favorite too slow for the league former Ranger Derek Stepan.

Again, I’m not worried if I am seeing flashes. But we are now seeing literally nothing. He looks disengaged and very vanilla, not like a guy that’s going to control the game at some point.

This f***ing sucks.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I'm praying at this point.

I can't have this guy be this bad. I'll be more insane than I already am.

Same. It’s been so so bad. Another guy that was supposed to be an immediate impact guy, a Calder favorite, and he produces zilch.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Watching Kakko from last year to this year just really kind of feeds into my lack of overall concern about Lafreniere's long-term potential as well.

Yeah, Stutzle scored tonight. And prior to that he went two weeks without anything coming off a three game stretch where he got powerplay time and made the most of it.

It's kind of Hughes getting most of his points in one cluster, and at the expense of the Rangers.

The difference right now is that no one on this team is scoring and so there's not that cluster for either of our guys.

It's not meant as an excuse. They still need to produce and everyone wants them to.

I just don't think it's black and white Stutzle scoring and Lafreniere not.

Reactions: aufheben

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
You can buy wingers. Another reason why I don’t say no to a deal for Eichel, if it includes LaFreniere.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Has there been a player who was hyped as much as Kakko and Laf were who had DREADFUL first seasons but still ended up being elite players?

At some point you have to be concerned. How many games with 0 points before that happens? 20? 30? 50?

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Watching Kakko from last year to this year just really kind of feeds into my lack of overall concern about Lafreniere's long-term potential as well.

Yeah, Stutzle scored tonight. And prior to that he went two weeks without anything coming off a three game stretch where he got powerplay time and made the most of it.

It's kind of Hughes getting most of his points in one cluster, and at the expense of the Rangers.

The difference right now is that no one on this team is scoring and so there's not that cluster for either of our guys.

It's not meant as an excuse. They still need to produce and everyone wants them to.

But Kakko isn’t producing either...I don’t see how that could ease concern for LaFreniere.

Ya. Maybe his overall game will make us all feel better, but it’s about producing and Kakko isn’t doing that.

I think LaFreniere is immensely talented. So, I’m just going on his pedigree. It sucks we aren’t seeing it play out.

I’m definitely worried. I’ve definitely thought this could be an Edmonton Oilers Hall, RNH, Yakupov situation..

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Edge, it’s the way the goals are coming. Stutzle is creating things by himself, making something out of nothing. He’s doing things that you expect game breaking top talents to do.

In addition to not scoring, we’ve seen none of that from Lafreniere. He doesn’t even show the willingness to take a defender on one-on-one, let alone the confidence to try a creative play in a tight space to open up the ice. At least try - show me that it’s inside of you somewhere.

It’s almost like someone told him “kid, you’re a pro now. That dipsy doodle nonsense doesn’t work at this level”. He’s playing like a f***ing robot.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
But Kakko isn’t producing either...I don’t see how that could ease concern for LaFreniere.

Ya. Maybe his overall game will make us all feel better, but it’s about producing and Kakko isn’t doing that.

I think LaFreniere is immensely talented. So, I’m just going on his pedigree. It sucks we aren’t seeing it play out.

I’m definitely worried. I’ve definitely thought this could be an Edmonton Oilers Hall, RNH, Yakupov situation..
All three of those players were very good, if not elite, offensive talents from the moment they stepped on the ice. Laf is way, way off the pace of every one of them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Edge, it’s the way the goals are coming. Stutzle is creating things by himself, making something out of nothing. He’s doing things that you expect game breaking top talents to do.

In addition to not scoring, we’ve seen none of that from Lafreniere. He doesn’t even show the willingness to take a defender on one-on-one, let alone the confidence to try a creative play in a tight space to open up the ice. At least try - show me that it’s inside of you somewhere.

It’s almost like someone told him “kid, you’re a pro now. That dipsy doodle nonsense doesn’t work at this level”. He’s playing like a f***ing robot.

I think part of the difference is many of the reasons that have already been stated elsewhere.

But at the same time, I can't keep having this conversation.

I gotta check out at some point.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

That lack of confidence is what, to me, seems to be systemic.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Has there been a player who was hyped as much as Kakko and Laf were who had DREADFUL first seasons but still ended up being elite players?

At some point you have to be concerned. How many games with 0 points before that happens? 20? 30? 50?
Simply put, no.

Not in Lafreniere's case.

At least Kakko scored. This is a historically bad start in terms of production.

Not only do I not think there's precedent for a start this bad turning it around, I don't think there's a start worse.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
That lack of confidence is what, to me, seems to be systemic.
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, hope so.

Reactions: Machinehead

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think part of the difference is many of the reasons that have already been stated elsewhere.

But at the same time, I can't keep having this conversation.

I gotta check out some point.
Fair enough. I envy your stoicism in this case, and pray to Jesus H. Christ that you’re right.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Fair enough. I envy your stoicism in this case, and pray to Jesus H. Christ that you’re right.

I find balance in most things is usually the most prudent path, and ultimately the most accurate.

But I'll also be honest with you, this board will test that.

And it's hard for me to say that, because I helped build this place. I can remember the Taylor brothers. I can remember us laying the groundwork for things that people consider commonplace today.

But this place is not the place you go to when you want balance. There are just some people who will never allow that to be. So you do your best to the hold line, even as they fall apart around you.

Reactions: aufheben

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
All three of those players were very good, if not elite, offensive talents from the moment they stepped on the ice. Laf is way, way off the pace of every one of them.

Huh?

Maybe they were elite talents, but they didn’t produce like elite talents in Edmonton, sans 1 Hall year.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
You do not include a recent first overall on a rookie contract for someone making 10 million

Why not?

It’s rare that elite 1C find their way to FA. The Rangers have a great cap situation next year.

You have Eichel locked up during his prime years too.

That old thought process just seems like a bad reason to not acquire a fantastic player that could signal end of rebuild and time to contend.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
Wouldn't this be buying a center?

Yes.

Elite 1C rarely make it to FA. They’re rarely available for trade, especially in their prime years.

Wingers can make it to the FA market and be more readily available in the trade market. If Eichel is available, that’s like Deshaun Watson being available. You pay what you need to and acquire him.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I find balance in most things is usually the most prudent path, and ultimately the most accurate.

But I'll also be honest with you, this board will test that.

And it's hard for me to say that, because I helped build this place. I can remember the Taylor brothers. I can remember us laying the groundwork for things that people consider commonplace today.

But this place is not the place you go to when you want balance. There are just some people who will never allow that to be. So you do your best to the hold line, even as they fall apart around you.
Well, I’m right there with you bud. But no, balance goes out the window when it comes to sports and discussing them. This is the place to come to to blow off steam when the game, which is supposed to be that outlet, leaves you frustrated.

And yes, you are an OG for sure. I’ve been on this board for 17 years myself. I don’t really know how to process that.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well, I’m right there with you bud. But no, balance goes out the window when it comes to sports and discussing them. This is the place to come to to blow off steam when the game, which is supposed to be that outlet, leaves you frustrated.

And yes, you are an OG for sure. I’ve been in this board for 18 years myself. I don’t really know how to process that.

Blowing off steam is fine.

But we've drifted from that. Honestly, some of the threads really borderline on something deeper and more psychological than that. That shift has been coming for a while and we're losing good people because of it. That's sad to me.

Because for as good as we are, we used to be even better. And I hope we don't lose what made this place better than so many of the toxic wastelands that exist out there, because we are slipping a bit. We really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad