Waived: Alexei Marchenko (Claimed by Toronto)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Sad we couldn't get anything for him but being capped out really guts the DRW when you basically have to go dollar for dollar.

Losing him to waivers for nothing is better than having to take another contract back. He was making $1.4m for this season and next. That's a lot for a guy not even in the lineup every night, especially for a third pairing defenseman. Best case scenario was a late draft pick a la Kindl, but half the teams passed before Toronto snagged him so clearly there wasn't much interest around the league in Marchenko.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Losing him to waivers for nothing is better than having to take another contract back. He was making $1.4m for this season and next. That's a lot for a guy not even in the lineup every night, especially for a third pairing defenseman. Best case scenario was a late draft pick a la Kindl, but half the teams passed before Toronto snagged him so clearly there wasn't much interest around the league in Marchenko.
But aren't the "good half" teams much more likely to be interested in a depth defenseman at this time of year? I don't know that we can assume there weren't any other franchises higher in the standings that wouldn't have acquired him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But aren't the "good half" teams much more likely to be interested in a depth defenseman at this time of year? I don't know that we can assume there weren't any other franchises higher in the standings that wouldn't have acquired him.

There might have been others that would have acquired him for free, but I seriously doubt anyone would have given up an asset for me. Again, there's not really examples of this happening that I can think of. In terms of guys comparable to Marcehnko being traded for a pick.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

If playoff-bound teams are looking for blue-line depth they wouldn't go after Marchenko. Teams that pick up depth go after more experienced guys who are UFAs. Look at some of the names moved last year during this time: Justin Schultz, Roman Polak, Mike Weber, Christian Ehrhoff, Kris Russell, etc.

The Leafs picked him up because Babcock hates Frankie Corrado for some reason.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There might have been others that would have acquired him for free, but I seriously doubt anyone would have given up an asset for me. Again, there's not really examples of this happening that I can think of. In terms of guys comparable to Marcehnko being traded for a pick.
Wasn't Kindl dealt with retention for a 6th rounder?

I'm not saying that was the way to go with Marchenko, and I'm not losing sleep over what happened, but I would not have been surprised if a more creative front office managed to get at least something for a fringe player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wasn't Kindl dealt with retention for a 6th rounder?

I'm not saying that was the way to go with Marchenko, and I'm not losing sleep over what happened, but I would not have been surprised if a more creative front office managed to get at least something for a fringe player.

Kindl was a former 1st rounder. That luster lasts a long time believe it or not, people think the talent is still there and a change of scene can bring it out. Plus when he was traded he had .30 PPG over his last 126 games.

Marchenko was a 7th rounder, who never put up pts in the AHL even, and has .18 PPG in 110 games in the NHL. Can't think of a comparable to THAT who netted a pick.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
As with Pulkinnen, Frk, Nestrasil, etc.

The possibility of him clearing through waivers and staying within the organization had more value than the 2018 conditional 7th round pick we would have gotten in return if we were able to squeak anything out in return at all

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
What do people realistically think he currently is and what his upside is?

Is he currently a 5/6th defenseman with upside of being 4/5th?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I'd say currently a 6th/7th, with the upside of a 5th, but who knows. You guys actually have a front office, and are putting talent on the roster, so maybe he could hit 4th one day, with enough support around him.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I'd say currently a 6th/7th, with the upside of a 5th, but who knows. You guys actually have a front office, and are putting talent on the roster, so maybe he could hit 4th one day, with enough support around him.

I appreciate the response. I can't say I have ever really watched him play closely, so your input helps.

On the leaf board they are ecstatic and "overrating" him because he is a new shiny toy (despite the majority of them not watching him play either). I thought you guys would be by far the best judge.

Thanks again.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

This type of stuff is embarrassing. Why on earth on a Red Wings board are you praising Toronto like they are some paragon of team building? Let's pump the brakes a little. They got lucky as hell and landed Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and Morgan Reilly with top 8 picks.

What savvy front office move has Toronto made outside of "be really really really bad at hockey"?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

He's steady, soft and sometimes (way too often imo) puts himself in bad position that result in way too many injuries. Nothing about him will blow you away. He is smart with his stick and often in good position and steady. While he won't make many bone-head defensive plays, he won't blow you away either. He'll likely be KHL bound after his contract expires.

But he'll be a steady bottom pairing guy on your blueline when he's not injured. He's worth a waiver pickup, but won't have any trade value. He's not worth his contract. He lost his job to an AHL defenseman that has been surprisingly darn good offensively and as good defensively as Marchy, and being a much better mobile dman... all for half the cap hit. That said, I like Marchenko, and would have liked him to clear waivers so he was available for injury call ups. If his cap was lower, he'd make for a great backup dman to have at your disposal.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

What specifically distinguishes a 4/5 defensemen from a 5/6 defensemen? I don't think he is fully developed as an NHL player at this point but he doesn't have a super high ceiling either. To get better he will need to consistently play and stay healthy. March is a good, solid smart player. I think his style of play and his ultimate upside is largely defined by his feet. I think he is a very good passer of the puck and reads the play well. You will never, however, find him up in the rush and any offense he may generate (or contribute to ) will come exclusively from the offensive zone. If he is going to consistently play on the middle pair of a decent team, he will need to play with a much more mobile partner who is a bit better with the puck.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

When Babcock was coach for the Wings, he got excited about Marchenko for some reason or another to where he convinced Holland to draft him.

Played 2 seasons in Grand Rapids and he was just a stay home type defenseman with little or no offensive side to him. Broke his ankle about half way in the season and missed the 2nd half and our playoffs.

Babcock was anxious to see him play so the Wings called him up and he played his position but he was not the most mobile d out there and then he was getting more injuries. He did alright for the Wings, but nothing to jump up and down about.

This season Marchenko had a hard time staying healthy and with the "over ripped" d that Grand Rapids had (Ouellet, Jensen, Sproul), you had a log jam of d in Detroit that were sitting out and somebody had to go at some point in time. Marchenko was nothing special and had little value to the d for the Wings, so he was the chosen one to be but on waivers.

Toronto was the only destination that Marchenko was going to go in the NHL because Babcock still has a gut feeling that Marchenko is the man that Babcock thinks will be a fine NHL defenseman. Time will tell, but I feel he will not be that player and he will either be put back on waivers again at some point, or end up playing in the KHL.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
This type of stuff is embarrassing. Why on earth on a Red Wings board are you praising Toronto like they are some paragon of team building?

Once you decide it's reasonable to start actively rooting against a team one allegedly rooted for, a series of subsequent decisions begin to make a lot of sense.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What specifically distinguishes a 4/5 defensemen from a 5/6 defensemen? I don't think he is fully developed as an NHL player at this point but he doesn't have a super high ceiling either. To get better he will need to consistently play and stay healthy. March is a good, solid smart player. I think his style of play and his ultimate upside is largely defined by his feet. I think he is a very good passer of the puck and reads the play well. You will never, however, find him up in the rush and any offense he may generate (or contribute to ) will come exclusively from the offensive zone. If he is going to consistently play on the middle pair of a decent team, he will need to play with a much more mobile partner who is a bit better with the puck.

My personal idea of the difference is that a 5/6 is a guy like Lebda who can only thrive/survive on the third pairing and is in perennial trouble of being pushed to the bench. A 4/5 is better and belongs on the third pairing but can play up the lineup on occasion if the partner/circumstances are right. In other words it's Lilja. Just my take on the difference, though.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Mike Babcock to the Detroit Free Press in 2015:

“I like him. He’s never in the scoring chances against. I actually like him better after the game, when I watch the tape, than I like him during the game. He’s go to get quicker, but he’s really smart. In practice the other day, he was our best d-man in a drill down low, 2-on-1, where all kids we call up get eaten up alive. He was outstanding. You can say it’s just practice, but that drill isn’t. It exposes everybody, and he was really good at it.â€

A Russian scout for the Wings spotted Alexey and brought the Wings brass their attention on him. Babcock fell in love with this kid and I'm sure when he was put on waivers, he jumped at the opportunity to get him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mike Babcock to the Detroit Free Press in 2015:

“I like him. He’s never in the scoring chances against. I actually like him better after the game, when I watch the tape, than I like him during the game. He’s go to get quicker, but he’s really smart. In practice the other day, he was our best d-man in a drill down low, 2-on-1, where all kids we call up get eaten up alive. He was outstanding. You can say it’s just practice, but that drill isn’t. It exposes everybody, and he was really good at it.â€

A Russian scout for the Wings spotted Alexey and brought the Wings brass their attention on him. Babcock fell in love with this kid and I'm sure when he was put on waivers, he jumped at the opportunity to get him.

How does a quote from 4 years after when he was drafted show that he played a big part in the Wings drafting him?

I don't disagree that Babcock likes Marchenko. But I don't think he had anything to do with the Wings drafting him. Wouldn't be surprised if he had never heard of him at that time.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
How does a quote from 4 years after when he was drafted show that he played a big part in the Wings drafting him?

I don't disagree that Babcock likes Marchenko. But I don't think he had anything to do with the Wings drafting him. Wouldn't be surprised if he had never heard of him at that time.

Very correct. Babcock, like other NHL head coaches, does not actively scout draft- eligible players, especially those outside of the first round.

I don't doubt for a second that Babcock likes Marchenko

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
This kid is trash. No sleep lost over this. I like all of Oullette, Russo, Jensen and Sproul more than Marchenko long term and short term.

Just a case of Babs... 'Hey, I know him.'.
He will undoubtedly be back on waivers in a month. Just like the previous 2 scrubs everyone was up in arms about.

Hopefully this paves the way for a Russo call up if the Wings fall right out.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
The kid does provide a defensive upside but that's it. Decent clearing pucks in front of net Not an exciting player by all means. Not strong on the puck. No offense which this team lacks.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Marchenko has been a healthy scratch for the Leafs 4 games in-a-row.

I am not broken up about him leaving... Still that is a tough situation, I had hoped what I thought would be his last chance before going back to Russia and playing in the KHL would be better than what he is likely to get in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad