Waived: Alexei Marchenko (Claimed by Toronto)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What, is this only a place to rip Holland? Is posting about good decisions (no matter how small) not allowed?

I think that it's more that it's kind of good news/bad news situation.

The good news is that Holland appropriately valued several prospects! The bad news is their value was less than a bag of pucks.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I think that it's more that it's kind of good news/bad news situation.

The good news is that Holland appropriately valued several prospects! The bad news is their value was less than a bag of pucks.

Often, players drafted lower than 200 don't amount to anything more than a bag of pucks. I hardly see where this is a development issue.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Marchenko was given a lot of opportunity with the Wings and was basically pretty serviceable for the most part until he was injured last year. He wasn't a bad prospect, it just didn't work out.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Are we now bragging about Wings developed players being worthless in order to defend management?
Not everyone you draft works out. Sometimes you are forced to put guys on waivers. Is it somehow bad that this management seems to identify the right guys to put on waivers most of the time? Being worthless is what you hope for those waived guys to be.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Marchenko was given a lot of opportunity with the Wings and was basically pretty serviceable for the most part until he was injured last year. He wasn't a bad prospect, it just didn't work out.
Don't recall him missing much time being injured last season. Healthy scratch a lot which was baffling because defensively he was the best defenceman on Detroit.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The crap you have to dig up these days to defend this organization. Wow.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
The crap you have to dig up these days to defend this organization. Wow.

This is pretty bad.

But seriously, this isn't defending the organization so much as showing that Alexei Marchenko was the replaceable piece that most everyone thought him to be.

I don't understand the constant need to berate the organization.

Yes, they've made mistakes.
No, they're not a contender right this second.

However, They have a bunch of young players that literally everyone has written off as ever being worth 1 half of a damn before they've even hit the ice. People clamoring from the rooftops that they should sell every player who isn't nailed down... and use some of their young assets as a claw hammer to even sell some of those who are nailed down.

By 2019, they will have a completely different goalie core that they won't be paying $10M to, a good bit of the awful contracts that they're buried under will have been shed by nothing but time, and Holland will be upstairs. I know everyone wants them to be good right this second... but if you have one iota of patience and just let some of their bad deals wash away, they will be in much better position going forward than if you just burn everything to the ground and try to rebuild from the cinders.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
This is pretty bad.

But seriously, this isn't defending the organization so much as showing that Alexei Marchenko was the replaceable piece that most everyone thought him to be.

I don't understand the constant need to berate the organization.

I totally agree with the above. This is a nothing event, from a guy who's just not really an NHL player. That said, just because he didn't ultimately cut it doesn't mean he didn't potentially have value at the time, and even if he didn't, that's hardly something to crow about. It's really scraping the bottom of the barrel to bring it back up and try to throw it in anyone's face.

By 2019, they will have a completely different goalie core that they won't be paying $10M to, a good bit of the awful contracts that they're buried under will have been shed by nothing but time, and Holland will be upstairs. I know everyone wants them to be good right this second... but if you have one iota of patience and just let some of their bad deals wash away, they will be in much better position going forward than if you just burn everything to the ground and try to rebuild from the cinders.

I think people would, by and large, be more patient if the team seemed to be going in that direction. But it's hard to believe that patience will have any reward at all given crap like Daley's signing, or AA still not having a contract. I dunno. I mean, I think we all have patience for different things - I understand and am OK with the idea that it will be years before the team wins another Cup. I have no patience for dithering around the 8th to 10th seed and extending that timeframe, because we're terrified of losing non-difference makers. I don't think anyone really wants Tatar gone for literally anything, but there's no reason in the world for him to still be on the team, at this point.

Either way, it's a bit off-topic for Marchenko. At least waiving him represented a positive step for the organization. Regardless of what value he may or may not have had, the team (and fans) should get comfortable with letting guys like him walk as soon as it's clear that they're not going to be better than 5/6 d-men.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Don't recall him missing much time being injured last season. Healthy scratch a lot which was baffling because defensively he was the best defenceman on Detroit.

He had a shoulder injury in November, 2016, went on IR in December. They called up Jensen, and it may have been a case of him just losing his job to Jensen.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Another one bites the dust... Hopefully the defenseman we have in the pipeline now aren't more of the same. We've been dreadful at drafting and developing defensemen.
Your last statement is questionable at best, especially with regard to drafting. Marchenko was a 7th rounder and became a semi-regular NHL defenseman for some time. Ouellet and Sproul both received lots of praise after being drafted, they just did not turn into upper-average NHLers (yet, what might partly be attributed to the overall subpar defense core).

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad