Waived: Alexei Marchenko (Claimed by Toronto)

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Marchenko has been a healthy scratch for the Leafs 4 games in-a-row.

Probably wishes he went unclaimed and sent to Grand Rapids. That way he'd at least get to play and earn more money. He's in the same situation Corrado was in all year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Probably wishes he went unclaimed and sent to Grand Rapids. That way he'd at least get to play and earn more money. He's in the same situation Corrado was in all year.

His paycheck was going to be the same regardless, he is on a one-way deal. I mean you could be future money, but in my opinion the fact that he is already a Russian National team player (which really says something when trying to break down why Russia has struggled international for years now) means his earning power at this point is likely better in the KHL.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I have no real issues with how this went down. It's been clear for a while now that Jensen is our best young d-man. Sproul got an assist last night so I'm sure he'll sit for the remainder of the month. It tells you all you need to know that our best young d-man was the last one to be brought up. This organization's development of d-men is flat out awful.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I have no real issues with how this went down. It's been clear for a while now that Jensen is our best young d-man. Sproul got an assist last night so I'm sure he'll sit for the remainder of the month. It tells you all you need to know that our best young d-man was the last one to be brought up. This organization's development of d-men is flat out awful.

None of these guys are actually all that great. Also, being a good NHL defenseman is hard. That's why there's so few of them. Shouldn't be a surprise when young guys can't do it, especially guys who were long shots to begin with.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

It wasn't just the organization. Plenty of the fans here thought Jensen was a borderline callup at best. I can't imagine why. Dude always looked great in the preseason and then was never ever given a shot. It's not like our d-corp is star studded. Give the kid a few games and see if he's preseason hype or legit NHLer.

Took so long.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Dude always looked great in the preseason and then was never ever given a shot. It's not like our d-corp is star studded. Give the kid a few games and see if he's preseason hype or legit NHLer.

Took so long.

Same thing with Nyquist. Was awesome in the preseason playing alongside Mule. Sent him down until the streak was in jeopardy and Kenny's "men's league" guys in Bert, Sammy and Tootoo weren't getting the job done.

Wash, rinse, repeat. :shakehead

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I take issue with Jensen being called the "best". He's the oldest and the most finished product, he won't get much better than he is and he's nothing special other than his skating.

XO has been good and can still improve. Small, incremental improvements to his skating would go a long way in terms of his trajectory.
Sproul is unpolished but has high-end tools and offensive IQ.
Both of them could be much better than Jensen a few years from now. D-men take longer to develop which seems to be forgotten.

Marchenko had the awkward position of being outplayed by Jensen and not having as high of a ceiling as XO/Sproul and the others we have coming up.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Of course. The differences are negligible so it really just comes down to preference.

I think Oullets development has been one of the only bright spots this year. Hes starting to look like a legit top 4 dman.

It is pathetic though that Jensen never got a shot until now. After all those great preseason games he deserved it before now. He can actually skate which already makes him better than Marchenko. Really makes you wonder about whose judging the talent and making call ups. Mantha "not a difference maker", Marchenko been handed a spot for the last couple years without Jensen getting a shot, Nyquist scored 28 goals in 58 games in a year he was supposed to spend in Grand Rapids... the list goes on

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I think Oullets development has been one of the only bright spots this year. Hes starting to look like a legit top 4 dman.

It is pathetic though that Jensen never got a shot until now. After all those great preseason games he deserved it before now. He can actually skate which already makes him better than Marchenko. Really makes you wonder about whose judging the talent and making call ups. Mantha "not a difference maker", Marchenko been handed a spot for the last couple years without Jensen getting a shot, Nyquist scored 28 goals in 58 games in a year he was supposed to spend in Grand Rapids... the list goes on

If you would have seen Jensen play in Grand Rapids, he is lucky the Wings are giving him a chance to play in Detroit at all. Marchenko in his brief time in GR was more impressive. Ouellet improved his last year in GR to where the Wings decided it was time for him to move up. Lashoff was our stay at home type d here and he was called up from time to time to fill in a few games here and there.

Jensen was very predictable playing for the Griffins. He thought he was Paul Coffey as he would try to skate by everybody from his own zone in about 95% of the time. Teams in the AHL figured this out, so they would put 2 guys to forecheck him. He would have his head down and not see his other D or a forward open, so Jensen would try to skate by the forecheck. One forechecker takes Jensen out easy and the other takes the puck and goes one on one with out goaltender, or passes it over to a third guy and it ends up in our net. Jensen has no offensive upside to him at all. He has wheels, but that is about it. He keeps the puck too long in his own zone and teams had fun picketing his pocket time and time again. Watching him play in Grand Rapids the last few seasons, I'm shocked (but happy) that he was doing well in Detroit. It forces Holland's hand in sending Marchenko on waivers over Jensen and it will also prevent Holland from putting Jensen on waivers at the end of the season for him to be placed on the Griffins playoff roster.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Leafs are about to play their 3rd game since claiming Marchenko tonight. He hasn't dressed for any of them yet. Very strange waiver claim of a guy they have no intention of playing and who seems buried on the depth chart.

Could've just been claimed for expansion draft

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Leafs are about to play their 3rd game since claiming Marchenko tonight. He hasn't dressed for any of them yet. Very strange waiver claim of a guy they have no intention of playing and who seems buried on the depth chart.

He replaced Corrado. They clearly see him as a #7 Bench guy. No real upside, so just have him sit on the bench till an injury happens, or he retires from Hockey.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
His only purpose to the leafs is to cover their obligations for the expansion draft so they don't have to expose Gardiner or Reilly or re-sign someone like Polak.

If he's not selected by Vegas he might get an actual chance next year but I don't think they claimed him to play hockey for them.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
If you would have seen Jensen play in Grand Rapids, he is lucky the Wings are giving him a chance to play in Detroit at all.

I would have said the same thing about Brett Lebda when he got a look--and they bent over backwards to continue giving him every possible chance even long after he had demonstrated that the only thing he could do at the NHL level was skate forward. Defensemen that are that mobile are quite an asset if the rest of their game is serviceable.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
His only purpose to the leafs is to cover their obligations for the expansion draft so they don't have to expose Gardiner or Reilly or re-sign someone like Polak.

If he's not selected by Vegas he might get an actual chance next year but I don't think they claimed him to play hockey for them.

You said this a few weeks ago really interesting insight to their logic picking up Marchy. As of this season I don't think he can keep up with Toronto's pace.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I'm always surprised when people get up in arms over Ken Holland waiving a player like Farraro, Pulkennen and Marchenko who obviously have no future, not only on the Red Wings, but in the entire NHL in general.

Jensen already scored more goals in his short venture here than Marchenko ever has. In less games Jensen is putting up better numbers, he is worlds better of a skater, and just as good defensively while being tremendously more physical. I think Leafs would rather have Jensen. Lol!

Face it, Marchenko just isn't a good hockey player. Now he's Leaf's problem until he retires and goes back to the KHL or is used for the expansion draft. Doubt vegas has any interest in him. He'll probably be in the KHL next season. Maybe he and Farraro and Pulkennen can all play on the same team together. That'd be funny. :D

Guess Ken Holland might know a little bit on what he's doing after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad