Waived: Alexei Marchenko (Claimed by Toronto)

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm always surprised when people get up in arms over Ken Holland waiving a player like Farraro, Pulkennen and Marchenko who obviously have no future, not only on the Red Wings, but in the entire NHL in general.

Jensen already scored more goals in his short venture here than Marchenko ever has. In less games Jensen is putting up better numbers, he is worlds better of a skater, and just as good defensively while being tremendously more physical. I think Leafs would rather have Jensen. Lol!

Face it, Marchenko just isn't a good hockey player. Now he's Leaf's problem until he retires and goes back to the KHL or is used for the expansion draft. Doubt vegas has any interest in him. He'll probably be in the KHL next season. Maybe he and Farraro and Pulkennen can all play on the same team together. That'd be funny. :D

Guess Ken Holland might know a little bit on what he's doing after all.

If Holland knew as much as you claim, he would have had Jensen up at the beginning of the season instead of Marchenko.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Holland knew as much as you claim, he would have had Jensen up at the beginning of the season instead of Marchenko.

Why? Marchenko flopped as Jensen excelled. I didn't say he has a magic crystal ball, but he identified Marchenko topped out and Jensen fills the role much, much better. Holland swiftly waived Marchenko. Bye-bye Marchy, thanks for your services... but we're upgrading to someone much better, much cheaper.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
He sucks. I like Jensen much better. Jensen won't amount to much each long term but I think he's a better fit as a 5th or 6th guy.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Why? Marchenko flopped as Jensen excelled. I didn't say he has a magic crystal ball, but he identified Marchenko topped out and Jensen fills the role much, much better. Holland swiftly waived Marchenko. Bye-bye Marchy, thanks for your services... but we're upgrading to someone much better, much cheaper.

My point is that if he had seen that Jensen was that much better to begin with, Jensen should have gotten the call at the start of the season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He sucks. I like Jensen much better. Jensen won't amount to much each long term but I think he's a better fit as a 5th or 6th guy.

Jensen is a slightly bigger Lebda. Minimizes mistakes, when he does screw up, has the legs to cover for it. Not a bad thing, but eh.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
My point is that if he had seen that Jensen was that much better to begin with, Jensen should have gotten the call at the start of the season.

They probably wanted a righty. That wasn't enough to save his spot on the roster with the emergence of Jensen. They gave Marcheko his fair chance, he didn't take his cheese.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Jensen is a slightly bigger Lebda. Minimizes mistakes, when he does screw up, has the legs to cover for it. Not a bad thing, but eh.

Jensen is a better player than Lebda. Even on a team as stacked as the 08 wings, Lebda looked like one of the worst players in the NHL.

Jensen is nothing amazing but he is looking like a solid 5/6 dman that does a little bit of everything. Definitely better than Marchenko and Lebda

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

Yeah right? Remember the whole "he has a quiet game" from last year because he seemed to be making less mistakes then the rest of the D for a period of time. Just another way of saying you kinda suck buddy.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008

Yeah I have to admit he's come a long way sicne December. I hated him then. Thought he as horrible and the Howard injury just put me over the top with him. But he's played solid the last month or so.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Jensen is a better player than Lebda. Even on a team as stacked as the 08 wings, Lebda looked like one of the worst players in the NHL.

Jensen is nothing amazing but he is looking like a solid 5/6 dman that does a little bit of everything. Definitely better than Marchenko and Lebda

I think it's splitting hairs. Both aren't the sharpest skates on the ice, and both rely on their skating to pull themselves out of their mistakes. Jensen's a bit bigger and more physical.

If we want to say one is better than the other, I can go with that, but we're talking about borderline roster guys.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I don't think Jensen is a future star or anything, but he's definitely a better player than Lebda. That guy couldn't do anything at an NHL level except skate; Jensen looks at least competent in general, even if skating is also his main asset.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
They probably wanted a righty. That wasn't enough to save his spot on the roster with the emergence of Jensen. They gave Marcheko his fair chance, he didn't take his cheese.

Dude, Jensen and Marchenko are both righties. :facepalm:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Smith wouldn't be my first choice, but potentially losing Marchenkov through waivers is ridiculous. I honestly don't know what Holland is doing anymore.

I would have just waived Smith. You can't tell me that someone wouldn't have given something for Marchenko rather than putting him on waivers. Instead, we'll probably lose him for nothing because Holland would rather try to hoard his assets.

Quite funny look now afterwards, how did Kenny knew these values better. Smith had nice worth and Marchenko did have zero. Zero.

Smith fetched us 2nd+3rd.

Marchenko had zero value.

Yup just more great asset mgmt by Holland. Lol. Waive a22nd possibly lose a decent 2 way defensman who's better than Kronwall and Errorson atm.

Yep yep. Looks like Toronto does as bad asset management as Detroit.

Another player who's not happy with our incompetent coach. Why they hell didn't they just send Jensen down after 9 games.

If we get a good lottery pick, it won't seem so bad, but this season is the worst coached and worst managed wings season since the Ilitches bought the club.

We need to get Blashill out of here asap as almost all the players have regressed significantly, and most have had their confidence destroyed.

Marchy is a perfectly good 5-6 on a competently coached team. Decent size, decent mobility, good first pass if simple. But god alone knows what the hell this team is even trying to do from game to game. No structure, no chemistry unless Z or Vanek are on the ice and no-one playing to their former level.

Its a farce.

He wasn't any better under ALMIGHTY Mike Babcock and those admired Toronto Maple Leafs which "does everything right" nowadays. Whose grass is always greener.

Marchenko was worse there than he was at Red Wings.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Quite funny look now afterwards, how did Kenny knew these values better. Smith had nice worth and Marchenko did have zero. Zero.

Smith fetched us 2nd+3rd.

Marchenko had zero value.

If you think that's what my post was about, you need to try again.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Another one bites the dust... Hopefully the defenseman we have in the pipeline now aren't more of the same. We've been dreadful at drafting and developing defensemen.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Looks like another case where "terrible asset management" by Holland was actually just accurate value assessment by him.

Marchenko, Ferraro, Pulkkinen, Frk.. list goes on.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Looks like another case where "terrible asset management" by Holland was actually just accurate value assessment by him.

Are we now bragging about Wings developed players being worthless in order to defend management?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

I think fans in general overrate prospects and the likelihood of them being a regular in the NHL.

The reality is most prospects don't work out. But it's also why the Wings current plan to rebuild through the draft while competing for the playoffs also seems rather questionable. It cuts both ways.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Are we now bragging about Wings developed players being worthless in order to defend management?

:laugh: Exactly.

That's a more succinct way to put what I was getting at.

Holland accurately evaluated his worthless draft picks, but it's gonna be these future mid to low draft picks that are somehow going to save the Wings.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think fans in general overrate prospects and the likelihood of them being a regular in the NHL.

The reality is most prospects don't work out. But it's also why the Wings current plan to rebuild through the draft while competing for the playoffs also seems rather questionable. It cuts both ways.

Pretty much this. One out of every ten or twenty become regular NHL players, and out of those, even less of them are top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen. The odds are crappy. Look at how long it took for Edmonton to strike gold with their 2+ decades of early picks. I can think of three guys during that time that became good players for them: Arnott, Weight, and now McDavid. It's all luck. Simply put, our luck has ran out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->