Confirmed with Link: Alexandre Burrows joins Laval staff

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He has coaching experience. Which is a completely different skill set then playing a game.

Understandable, but, we're talking about assitant minor league duties...and nobody starts any coaching with experience, he's going to GET experience lol..i mean how much of carrier's "experience" really helped players trying to make the NHL, id rather listen to advice from an actual NHLer

i like bob mckenzie a lot sure, but its hard taking his analyzing as the be-all end-all of hockey over a guy like ray ferraro sometimes, im serious, simply because ray ACTUALLY played in the NHL, while bob is merely a self proclaimed crazy hockey dad...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
AHL is a developmental league, for coaches too.

Thats hockey, you make your connections and then you use your networking to move a career after being a pro forward.

Haters gonna hate for a guy being able to get his shot and having to skip some of the grind. Burrows already had to grind enough in his career from undrafted to ECHL to 1000+ games in the NHL, if he catches a lucky break because of all of his hard work then I give him some props.

Reactions: lo striver

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Burrows is a pretty charismatic person, altough he had his wrong doings during his NHL career, he is still someone that can be inspiring to look up to when you take in perspective his career.

My first reaction to the news was "What the..?", but I'll give him his chance. As many have pointed out, he is after all only an assistant coach.

Not sure if anyone watched the show last year on RDS where they would have NHL players play NHL on a PS4, but he was there and seemed pretty cool/entertaining.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So, who shat in your cereals this morning?

Burrows, Weber's knee injury, Bergevin's stupidity, Little Goeffy Molson, the fact we could have both PK and Sergachev right now and I'm still pissed over the trading or LeClair,Roy and Keane too. Takes time to heal some wounds man.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Understanding the player experience at multiple pro levels, from the lowest to the world's highest, can be beneficial to someone whose main goal is to focus on player development.

That's great. So hire one of the butt load of other ex NHL players who went to learn their crafts lower levels.

Reactions: groovejuice

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Burrows, Weber's knee injury, Bergevin's stupidity, Little Goeffy Molson, the fact we could have both PK and Sergachev right now and I'm still pissed over the trading or LeClair,Roy and Keane too. Takes time to heal some wounds man.

Some day perhaps you'll get over the criss-cross trend from back then:sarcasm:

P.S. I know how you feel lol

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Understandable, but, we're talking about assitant minor league duties...and nobody starts any coaching with experience, he's going to GET experience lol..i mean how much of carrier's "experience" really helped players trying to make the NHL, id rather listen to advice from an actual NHLer

i like bob mckenzie a lot sure, but its hard taking his analyzing as the be-all end-all of hockey over a guy like ray ferraro sometimes, im serious, simply because ray ACTUALLY played in the NHL, while bob is merely a self proclaimed crazy hockey dad...

Carrier shouldn't have been hired because he sucks and he wasn't a good coach but at least he had some experience.

There are a multitude of ex NHL players who have gone to lower levels to learn how to coach and have experience doing so. if you want that perspective then you have plenty of people to choose from.

You will never convince me that hiring someone with no experience in the craft they are being hired for is a better hire than someone who's done it and been successful.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
Carrier shouldn't have been hired because he sucks and he wasn't a good coach but at least he had some experience.

There are a multitude of ex NHL players who have gone to lower levels to learn how to coach and have experience doing so. if you want that perspective then you have plenty of people to choose from.

You will never convince me that hiring someone with no experience in the craft they are being hired for is a better hire than someone who's done it and been successful.

I don't think that he is trying to convince you of that. People don't line up to be assistant coaches in the AHL when they are head coaches in the CHL or another league, unless of course they are friends with the guy coming in as a head coach for the AHL.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think that he is trying to convince you of that. People don't line up to be assistant coaches in the AHL when they are head coaches in the CHL or another league, unless of course they are friends with the guy coming in as a head coach for the AHL.

There's assistant coaches, there's coaches in the ECHL. There are plenty of people who would jump at the opportunity to go up a level and be on a coaching staff at the AHL level. Alexander Burrows is not the only person in hockey right now who would want the gig.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
That's great. So hire one of the butt load of other ex NHL players who went to learn their crafts lower levels.

Well they could've, but they chose Burrows instead for whatever reason. And I'm sure they had some. Seems kind of pointless to be overly critical of this hire if you ask me, when most of the biggest benefits of the move are staring us right in the face, while the rest we likely won't find out anyway.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well they could've, but they chose Burrows instead for whatever reason. And I'm sure they had some. Seems kind of pointless to be overly critical of this hire if you ask me, when most of the biggest benefits of the move are staring us right in the face, while the rest we likely won't find out anyway.

I'm gonna be critical of any hire that isn't done with getting the best candidate. It's no way to run an organization.

Apr 28, 2010
I didn't even know he's retired.

I don't have a problem with this move though, even with zero coaching experience. He's still fresh from the game and I think the players can easily reach out or relate to him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There's assistant coaches, there's coaches in the ECHL. There are plenty of people who would jump at the opportunity to go up a level and be on a coaching staff at the AHL level. Alexander Burrows is not the only person in hockey right now who would want the gig.

I agree WTK. You could have probaby and surely find guys in those leagues. But at this point, Bouchard, who is new at this AHL coaching, decided to go with guys he knows a lot. He's giving his assistant who has QMJHL experience a job too. And wanted to have the voice of an ex-NHL player recently retired, so fresh to what the NHL is all about. Whether it's for him. Or for the players. Again, there's approximately 30 guys in tihe AHL right now that followed the same path. I know, you don't want to copy others, you want to have your own system, and I don't disagree with you. But I'm not exactly sure it's that big of a deal. Just like on Twitter, I'm in a twitter fight with somebody who claims he won't be a good assistant coach because of his antics on the ice. Which makes no sense. And even if it did, we are actually giving the fighters a voice for concussions. We are giving Daniel freakin Carcillo a voice for hoping players would well behave. But somehow, we couldn't give a job to Burrows......

I know that for some it's just being angry 'cause it's another move Bergevin made but for me, it's a move that Bouchard made. And I'm willing to give him the chance to establish something.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm gonna be critical of any hire that isn't done with getting the best candidate. It's no way to run an organization.

Well even if we would have gotten a ECHL coach, while it has the appearance of a good candidate, might not mean that it is. I mean, I remember how the 8th wonder of the world in Dallas Eakins was THE best candidate possible....Bouchard wants to surround himself with guys with different backgrounds and guys he knows. For a rookie coach...it's understandable. I would bet it would turn fine.....but I wouldn't bet a lot...;)

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

This makes sense. I'm not sure who they are though? The one nice thing is that this kid has just come out of the big league and so he is pretty up to date with things... the league has changed quite a bit even in the last few years and that may. Hopefully they feel like he will pick it up quickly and that he has more value in some way than the other candidates.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I'm going to give Bouchard the benefit of the doubt, just like I gave MB when he started. Let's wait and see how this plays out.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Classless piece of shit, is he going to coach them how to bite, dive or knee them in the head?

MB you are such a 2 faced f*** with your moral compass it makes me sick, might as well bring in Lucic and Matt Cooke to complete the trifecta of douche bags

Jul 6, 2016
Classless piece of ****, is he going to coach them how to bite, dive or knee them in the head?

MB you are such a 2 faced **** with your moral compass it makes me sick, might as well bring in Lucic and Matt Cooke to complete the trifecta of *****e bags

Where is the thumb down ? I need one for your post.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I understand the appeal of getting players who beat the odds into the org, but isn't that what this management is already filled with ?

Aside from Muller, there aren't many skill guys. Why not get a different perspective ?

Tampa Bay has a lawyer as coach and the highest season scorer not named Gretzky or Lemieux as GM. Another lawyer as assistant GM, a figure skater as skating coach... Loads of variety.

Reactions: groovejuice

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1