Confirmed with Link: Alexandre Burrows joins Laval staff

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Never wanted him on my team, zero respect for the guy

More MB rock turning found a cockroach, guess I should be happy he didn't sign him for a 3 year $4MM/yr players contract

Bouchard is the one that pushed for him since they are close friends.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Surprising but interesting hire. I have no issues with it as long as he is the players' coach. Someone players can go to to get advice, etc.

His last 2 years were "retirement years" but he was a workaholic on the ice, never say die player prior to that. He understands how hard it is to get & stay in the NHL.

Laval staff is done. Still waiting on the defensive coach for Montreal.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Didn't Gerard Gallant, Kirk Mueller and a lot of ex NHLer's start somewhere Good Luck to Alexandre Burrows in his new career

Gallant was head coach 3 years in the MJAHL + 1 year asst. coach in the IHL before his first stint as a asst. coach in the NHL.
Muller was a head coach in the CIS+ asst. coach at the U18 for 1 year, then was named ast. coach with the Canadiens.

Mike Sullivan went from retiring to head coach in the AHL (then promoted to asst.coach in the NHL mid-season)

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I'm really liking this new player friendly approach when hiring coaches. The old school bs no longer works.
now just get rid of Julien after this tank season. I dont want Julien anywhere close to Hughes/Kako/Dach or whoever we draft.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Can't wait to see this board if Laval do poorly again, with all the love Bouchard is getting currently. The player moves and coaches hiring reek of even more nepotism than you can find with the Habs and Bergy, yet everyone seems to accept it, and think it is a good thing that he wants to work with friends and former players of his. I don't get it, all I want is the best coaches and top available players regardless of cost and what province they played their junior hockey in, but apparently business and pleasure in Laval are going to push development and creating a winning environment for the actual prospects sent there, to the back burner yet again. I am all for Laval being a developing ground for the best young coaches in Quebec, sadly I don't see that this was a criteria in the choices that were made, rather it was who you know, not what you know.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Can't wait to see this board if Laval do poorly again, with all the love Bouchard is getting currently. The player moves and coaches hiring reek of even more nepotism than you can find with the Habs and Bergy, yet everyone seems to accept it, and think it is a good thing that he wants to work with friends and former players of his. I don't get it, all I want is the best coaches and top available players regardless of cost and what province they played their junior hockey in, but apparently business and pleasure in Laval are going to push development and creating a winning environment for the actual prospects sent there, to the back burner yet again. I am all for Laval being a developing ground for the best young coaches in Quebec, sadly I don't see that this was a criteria in the choices that were made, rather it was who you know, not what you know.

How?

Daniel Jacob is a fine hire, he's an experimented assistant coach. People wanted Alain before Bouchard was in. Laval also got Agostino, Lamarche, Chaput, Grenier and Belzile who are all fine AHLer.

You're basing yourself on Burrows, Marcoux (depth goalie that had good ECHL number and should be either ECHL starter or AHL backup), Melancon (who was also very good in the ECHL and may end up there anyway due to depth), Jevpalov (decent AHL player) and Adams-Moisan (who may end in the ECHL due to depth) to complain about nepotism? The only question mark there are Burrows and Adams-Moisan, but somehow you think that AHL team will be trash before they even get to camp?

Agostino - Chaput - Grenier
Rychel - Evans - Bitten
Jevpalov - Audette - Belzile
Verbeek - Vejdemo - Alain
Addison, Pezzeta, Waked, Adams-Moisan, Martineau

Taormina - Lernout
Valiyev - Lamarche
Moravcik - Culkin/Plant/Sklenicka

Lindgren
McNiven
Marcoux

And that's assuming Froese, Mete and Juulsen stay with the big club. This should easily be a playoff bound lineup.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I'm a big, big fan of our AHL teams. I invest a lot of time, money, energy in following them every year. To be 100% honest, I don't give a f*** if they are good or not. I want to see sane decisions on the roster that make sense, put playmakers with snipers, your most skilled guys on the PP. Younger guys playing instead of sitting in the press box for far too long.

If Bouchard does the same crap as Lefebvre, I will be the first to call him out on it. If he's doing things that benefit the Evans, Bitten's, Fleury's, McNiven's, etc... then that's what I want to see. At least MB hired someone that has been a head coach before, instead of someone that hadn't ever had a single game at any level as a head coach outside of maybe a beer league or pickup game.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I understand the appeal of getting players who beat the odds into the org, but isn't that what this management is already filled with ?

Aside from Muller, there aren't many skill guys. Why not get a different perspective ?

Tampa Bay has a lawyer as coach and the highest season scorer not named Gretzky or Lemieux as GM.

Speaking of Gretzky, he has been a complete and utter goof in his post-player hockey career. Almost makes Bergevin look smart. The player's *style of play* has absolutely no bearing on his post player career. None whatsoever. Some people have a keen hockey mind that they can develop while playing, by having a global sense of the the game, simply observing their surrounding, watching their coaches. Others can't.

While there are notable exceptions, most former players who get hired as hockey personnel (scouts, various personnel and coaching duties) are low skills. That's not a Habs thing. That's league-wide and a matter of economics. While plumbers like Bouillon are not exactly dirt poor, they and their family can certainly greatly benefit from the post career earnings.

Eric Desjardins still lives in Quebec, is a smart guy and could do the same job, but he's filthy rich, did not enjoy his first try at player development in Philly and instead runs tons of companies locally and enjoys his free time and being on his schedule. Vincent Damphousse also has a post player career on his own term. These guys are multi-millionaires who simply don't need that kind of grief. Or they come for super special assignments until they lose interest. It's useless.

You will also notice that the few high profile players who are motivated and jump into a post-playing career usually demand bigger incentives. They rarely accept backseat roles and usually demand top spots. While it's great when it works (Serge Savard) it sucks when it doesn't (Denis Savard). Of course, being a former plumber isn't a guarantee you know what you're doing either (Mario Tremblay) but Reggie Houle was definitely in the skilled guy category and sucked just as much.

I'm totally with you on non-former players, though. Habs should definitely look into hiring people who have other skills than being former players. (And maybe Burrows does, but I don't know about it)

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
f***ing Burrows will have a hand in developing our young prospects? Really?! For all of Bergevin's lipping off about character and attitude, he then goes and brings a weasel like Burrows aboard to coach in Laval...unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Laurentide

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nepotism? or no?

Another example of the incestuous circle that is the hockey world.

This guy was clearly fast-tracked on account of his friendship with Bouchard. I hate it when a hiring is based on who you know.

Bouillon was afforded the same preferential treatment and a lot of us called Bergevin on it. Bouchard needs to be called on this for the same reasons.

Reactions: 417

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
I really don't get it.
Imagine working your ass coaching in the junior league and seeing this douchebag getting an assistant role without any prior experience.
Oh well, classic Montreal management circle jerk.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Man it owns so much how upset you guys get over **** like this lol. You're out here making lists over an AHL assistant coach man!

People here need to seriously take a step back from hockey and learn to appreciate and love the little things in life...half the posts on this board seem border line suicidal anything the habs do something they disagree with :laugh:

I swear if Bergevin told habs fan to live and love life, half this board would jump off the tallest building to spite him.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
People here need to seriously take a step back from hockey and learn to appreciate and love the little things in life...half the posts on this board seem border line suicidal anything the habs do something they disagree with :laugh:

I swear if Bergevin told habs fan to live and love life, half this board would jump off the tallest building to spite him.
Man, this one is great!!!:laugh::laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He never coached anything in his life , he was playing hockey 3 months ago

what the hell?

People have just no idea what they're talking about. THERE ARE AT LEAST 20 ASSISTANT COACHES IN THE AHL RIGHT NOW THAT WENT DIRECTLY FROM PLAYING TO ASSISTANT COACHING!!!!!!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I really don't get it.
Imagine working your ass coaching in the junior league and seeing this *****ebag getting an assistant role without any prior experience.
Oh well, classic Montreal management circle jerk.

Yeah well those coaches surely can imagine that since IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Another example of the incestuous circle that is the hockey world.

This guy was clearly fast-tracked on account of his friendship with Bouchard. I hate it when a hiring is based on who you know.

Bouillon was afforded the same preferential treatment and a lot of us called Bergevin on it. Bouchard needs to be called on this for the same reasons.

I don't agree. 'Cause we are calling out Bergevin based on his overall track record. If he would have hired his grandmother and he would have won Cup after Cup, we would have found a way to think that his grandmother was finally a hidden gem. Bouchard comes in, he CLEARLY deserves a break and should not be judged the same way we judge the proven failure that Bergevin is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad