Confirmed with Link: Alexandre Burrows joins Laval staff

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This guy would certainly bring CHaracter and Attitoode. Nothing against him, but it would be nice if we more frequently added ex-NHLers to the coaching staff that were top 6 skill forwards and top 3 D.

Why? Look at the list I came up with. How many top players do you see there?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
This guy would certainly bring CHaracter and Attitoode. Nothing against him, but it would be nice if we more frequently added ex-NHLers to the coaching staff that were top 6 skill forwards and top 3 D.
There is no correlation between NHL career and coaching career. Gretzky and Roy are the prime poster boys that there is no link between the two.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Burrows was a ******* his entire career, not a guy I want being a role model for my developmental system. Besides being hated his entire career, what qualifications does he have again? I'll hang up the phone and wait for your response.

Oh Habs, I was never a Burrows fan but his success story is very respectable, he fought for every inch of his career, undrafted, etc. I might not like his play on the ice, but there's more to him that I could see being beneficial to younger players.

My $0.02, even though you didn't ask.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There is no correlation between NHL career and coaching career. Gretzky and Roy are the prime poster boys that there is no link between the two.
One of the most successful coaches in the NHL today, Jon Cooper...never played hockey at any level.

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
If Bouchard believes Burrows can be an assistant coach, I will trust in Bouchard decision in this matter.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Burrows was a ******* his entire career, not a guy I want being a role model for my developmental system. Besides being hated his entire career, what qualifications does he have again? I'll hang up the phone and wait for your response.

Hated by other teams, loved by his own. And managed to carve himself a 14-year NHL career from the ECHL. Bouchard clearly believed someone with that kind of experience was worth having by his side, and helping him develop kids to be NHL players. I see no problem with that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If they coach OHL/WHL/other leagues, why they would not ?
Because being a head coach of a successful CHL team trumps being an assistant coach on an AHL team.

Don't mix Habs HF reality with real life reality...no other fanbase focuses on the identity of the head coach of their AHL team, never mind the identity of one of his assistants, like Habs fans do.

No one else cares about assistant AHL coaches...it's only a talking point on this very forum.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
One of the most successful coaches in the NHL today, Jon Cooper...never played hockey at any level.

Yes he did, and Lacrosse. Not a pro level, but he played the game.
His smarts got him to where he is, he is brilliant, takes after his dad.

Sword

May 26, 2014
I didn't even know he was retired as a player.

Hopefully, he doesn't teach the youngsters to start biting fingers during a scrum

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes he did, and Lacrosse. Not a pro level, but he played the game.
His smarts got him to where he is, he is brilliant, takes after his dad.
So high school exploits translate to coaching at the NHL level?

Come on man

Reactions: jaffy27

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Because being a head coach of a successful CHL team trumps being an assistant coach on an AHL team.

I'm not not even talking about HC, they don't have assitant coaches in those leagues ?

And even if we talk about HC, is it not easier to get a HC job in the AHL when you are an assitant AHL coach ? and that's an upgrade right ?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not not even talking about HC, they don't have assitant coaches in those leagues ?

And even if we talk about HC, is it not easier to get a HC job in the AHL when you are an assitant AHL coach ? and that's an upgrade right ?
I don't know...i've reached my quota on talking about assistant AHL coaches though.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Let’s see how this plays out. I mean he must know Bouchard personally and they must have had great conversations about strategy and tactics because he has zero coaching credentials.

Also always found it interesting that Burrows, while a longshot to make the NHL, is like the Gretzky of roller hockey.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Well he already hired him...he hired Burrows for one of the other assistant coach jobs, which by the way, no one even knows what his functions will be.

Which brings me back to my point.

We're talking about the assistant head coach of the farm team lol

Cant believe the negativity lol...simply because people disliked him THAT much as a player... i fail to see how he doesnt help some of the kids, ..as if hes gonna show them how to do "cheap shots" in practice...

Its the AHL assistant coach... you're a glorified cone placer....

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Cant believe the negativity lol...simply because people disliked him THAT much as a player... i fail to see how he doesnt help some of the kids, ..as if hes gonna show them how to do "cheap shots" in practice...

Its the AHL assistant coach... you're a glorified cone placer....
Not on this board...

That position holds the key to the franchise returning to it's former glory!

jokes lol

Reactions: Redux91

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So high school exploits translate to coaching at the NHL level?

Come on man

He was a lawyer and strategically very smart. I can see how people with certain skills make good coaches, at all levels. Anyways, my problem isn't with hiring an ex-nhl'er, I detest Burrows so what do you want me to say? I hated him as a player, the guy played like a complete tool out there. Would you approve of hiring Sean Avery?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He was a lawyer and strategically very smart. I can see how people with certain skills make good coaches, at all levels. Anyways, my problem isn't with hiring an ex-nhl'er, I detest Burrows so what do you want me to say? I hated him as a player, the guy played like a complete tool out there. Would you approve of hiring Sean Avery?
I couldn't careless who my team hires as an assistant coach of their farm team

Reactions: JSR 56

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
He has coaching experience. Which is a completely different skill set then playing a game.

Understanding the player experience at multiple pro levels, from the lowest to the world's highest, can be beneficial to someone whose main goal is to focus on player development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad