Player Discussion: Alexander Volkov

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I like Volkov a lot more then Verhaeghe, that said they need to give Verhaeghe ice time and see if he pans out next year.

I just hope we can upgrade the position by playoffs via trade or via Volkov grabbing the job.

The one weak spot on the team currently is the rightwing on the stamkos line.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
775D636B-12B8-4152-B657-7A3C0A364E3E.png

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Was gonna say maybe it's a confidence booster for the kid. If I remember correctly he was playing himself into a spot before he got injured in preseason. Maybe they're trying to get some confidence going putting him in some top six situations with our hot forwards.

Reactions: Chromolith

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It may just be me but I am seeing flashes of Kuch in this guy. When he pots a goal it may open him really up. So I am optimistic.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It may just be me but I am seeing flashes of Kuch in this guy. When he pots a goal it may open him really up. So I am optimistic.

He has a skillset but I dont think he will be even remotely close to as potent as Kuch. I think he belongs in top 6 but he wont be a guy driving anything. He adds some size too so thats a plus.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Kuch lol. Both Russian that’s where it ends.
Hes just 22. Remember what Kuch looked like when he first came to the league? Lets refresh he played 52 games that year with 9 goals 9 asst's. His skating was similar and shot ability as well. Sure Kuch was younger but as I recall the rookie Kuch he and Volkov look similar on the ice. Its big shoes to fit for sure but if he can progress to a 30 goal guy and I think he can its a positive.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hes just 22. Remember what Kuch looked like when he first came to the league? Lets refresh he played 52 games that year with 9 goals 9 asst's. His skating was similar and shot ability as well. Sure Kuch was younger but as I recall the rookie Kuch he and Volkov look similar on the ice. Its big shoes to fit for sure but if he can progress to a 30 goal guy and I think he can its a positive.
Remember what Kucherov looked like in the AHL? Volkov hasn't shown that separation.

Reactions: JoVel

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Remember what Kucherov looked like in the AHL? Volkov hasn't shown that separation.
Half the league would be putting up 100 points if that kind of logic made sense. Just because Kucherov didn't come out guns blazing right off the gate doesn't mean everybody else will have the same development path.

Just like when people love to compare d-men to what Hedman was in his first few years.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Kucherov made the AHL his bitch in 17 games.

Volkov to me doesn't even give me the feel of a top six guy. Some guys on here say it as a given, beat writers and broadcasters too. But I don't see it, he doesn't stands out. Maybe he'll progress and suddently something will click and turn him into a beast, but so far I don't really see it

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Kuch looked great when he started. His lack of production was due to being chained to the bench

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He just had 2 goals in 25 AHL games and has a career high of 48 points down there.

I think he looks a lot better than many people seem to during this stint in the NHL, but he looks like a guy who maybe, just maybe, will develop into a poor man's healthy Palat. A little slicker on the puck, maybe.

Let's not forget, we went off the board to draft this guy. We knew Kucherov was gonna score some goals when he was still in the Q.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Kuch looked great when he started. His lack of production was due to being chained to the bench

Cooper also didn't know how to use him properly. Before the Drouin treatment there was the Kucherov treatment with terrible bottom 6 deployment with low minutes. Kucherov did have his struggles too his rookie year but not enough to have been played the way he was especially with the skillset he brings.

Volkov doesn't have nearly the same skillset that Kucherov does nor the pedigree to even say he should be a top 6 guy. He lacks consistency which is a key ingredient in being a top 6 player, you don't have those big dry spells. Kucherov doesn't go too many games in between scoring. Volkovs best attribute to me is a sneaky quick and accurate shot, he doesn't need much time to get it off just some space. I can see some Connolly in him with the quick release on the shot. If he wants to be successful he should take the Connolly approach and work on the other parts of his game to keep himself in the league and in time that shot will start scoring you goals to earn you a big contract down the line. With Volkov being Russian I don't know how much he is willing to stick around being a 4th liner when he could get better opportunities back home and make more money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad