Player Discussion: Alexander Volkov

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I’m not yet sure what to make of Volkov. He’s far from terrible but he isn’t making me say “wow” either.
Reminds me a lot of Panik. Has the tools but just never put it together here. I hope he does. He is never terrible but never amazes me with a play or shift.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Panik had some brilliant flashes every now and then while being ALOT stronger on his skates. Volkov has the frame of an 18 year old but he's 23. He has good skating and handling but he gets knocked off the puck so easily.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
I agree it's getting overblown but I'm seriously starting to wonder if Volkov actually wants that future or not. He's got 160 games worth of AHL experience and yet somehow looks worse than Connolly did as an undeveloped 18 year old. I know it's only been 8 games but holy cow... the poor guy just does NOT look ready and I don't know if this guy can handle the AHL anymore. He's had a few good plays here and there but has otherwise just taken bad penalties and looked disjointed from the other 4 players on the ice.

Nice!! 1 Year Later and this post is still spot on. Cant say Volkov has improved at all and still looks completely LOST

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Panik had some brilliant flashes every now and then while being ALOT stronger on his skates. Volkov has the frame of an 18 year old but he's 23. He has good skating and handling but he gets knocked off the puck so easily.

It's almost the opposite of Panik. Volkov seems to have some IQ, but doesn't have Panik's physical gifts. Panik, in a vacuum, was/is a very skilled player. He just never seemed to process the game at full speed. Volkov doesn't seem to have those tools, IMO.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's almost the opposite of Panik. Volkov seems to have some IQ, but doesn't have Panik's physical gifts. Panik, in a vacuum, was/is a very skilled player. He just never seemed to process the game at full speed. Volkov doesn't seem to have those tools, IMO.

Yeah and off his physical gifts alone he still managed to carve out a 10 year career, I dunno if Volkov will get there. Panik has had some hot stretches during his time in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00