Player Discussion: Alexander Volkov

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we add a player Verhaeghe most likely becomes the healthy scratch

If we add a player most likely Stephens get sent down. We have Point, Stamkos, Cirelli, Johnson and Paquette to play C, hell Gourde played some last year and Verheaghe has in Syracuse. No need to keep Stephens up when he can be getting a bigger role in Syracuse where he still needs work especially offensively.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
If we add a player most likely Stephens get sent down. We have Point, Stamkos, Cirelli, Johnson and Paquette to play C, hell Gourde played some last year and Verheaghe has in Syracuse. No need to keep Stephens up when he can be getting a bigger role in Syracuse where he still needs work especially offensively.

Doesnt Verhaeghe require waivers anyways?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Doesnt Verhaeghe require waivers anyways?

Yes so he won't be sent down. Stephens is the only one who makes sense to send down if we bring in another forward. But the way Verheaghe has been playing I wouldn't sit him right now. I would look to get someone to spell Maroon who's been getting nicked up a lot lately it seems.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
^ Which is why I said Verhaeghe would be a scratch and not sent down.

We could send Stephens down if Johnson plays centre. Though I am done with that experiment.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
^ Which is why I said Verhaeghe would be a scratch and not sent down.

We could send Stephens down if Johnson plays centre. Though I am done with that experiment.

But why should he be the healthy scratch? His 5v5 p/60 is the 2nd best amongst the bottom 6, I don't consider Killorn bottom 6, besides Maroon. His 5v5 g/60 is the best amongst the bottom 6 and is the 5th best amongst all forwards, better than Stamkos, Cirelli and Palat. He is our best offensive threat currently in the bottom 6 so why would we scratch him especially when he's finally figuring out the NHL?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
But why should he be the healthy scratch? His 5v5 p/60 is the 2nd best amongst the bottom 6, I don't consider Killorn bottom 6, besides Maroon. His 5v5 g/60 is the best amongst the bottom 6 and is the 5th best amongst all forwards, better than Stamkos, Cirelli and Palat. He is our best offensive threat currently in the bottom 6 so why would we scratch him especially when he's finally figuring out the NHL?
Only if we add a player that is better then him. Yeah he's just figuring it out, but lets be real. He started extremely slow and the playoffs is a whole new animal. If we add a player, He most likely sits

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
If you scratch the surface a bit.....

"They also want to do it and they need someone to work on the ice. But the game didn’t go very well, I didn’t have any shots. Honestly we played indistinct, our line didn’t do anything and allowed two goals. However I think that wasn’t our fault, but defenders. Either way the debut was spoiled. "

wIdCO17.jpg

fNrhnOo.jpg

Rutta even decided to help him after that public verbal bashing...

FlOkFoa.jpg

And then what happened ???

HzYvFVh.jpg

then he got his hat trick in Syracuse

Yeah...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can anyone tell me how he's been doing lately? His scoring totals have fallen off a cliff lately. @HoseEmDown @RetiredSquid in particular have you guys seen any games lately? It's one thing to play well and the points just aren't coming and it's another when a guy is playing bad hockey and it's reflective in the scoring totals.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Can anyone tell me how he's been doing lately? His scoring totals have fallen off a cliff lately. @HoseEmDown @RetiredSquid in particular have you guys seen any games lately? It's one thing to play well and the points just aren't coming and it's another when a guy is playing bad hockey and it's reflective in the scoring totals.
Judging by his interviews I'd guess he thinks he should be in the NHL and doesn't care about the games in Syracuse.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Judging by his interviews I'd guess he thinks he should be in the NHL and doesn't care about the games in Syracuse.

I'm trying as much as I can to forget that the interview ever happened because I'm sure there are many AHL players who are far more successful than Volkov feel the same way. I don't want to necessarily make that connection due to the fact it's possible Volkov is just wildly inconsistent no matter how he feels in the matter. But if he's going out there sulking on the ice looking like he doesn't care (thus why I'm asking for specifics) then you may be right. Because if he's trying his ass off and just not getting points then it's a totally different matter.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Volkov told on interview,that during this play off he had a dream(while asleep) that he will play against Dallas,somehow he felt it,even before 6th game when he didnt know that he will start,he had feeling that he will play. He also told that decision that he will play,made coach with leaders,they had discussion and they decided to give Volkov chance,cuz he tried really hard on practices. It was Maroon who told him that he will play "Maroon came to me and said,u will play with me,its 99%"
Even though he was told that he will play 30 minutes before game,Cooper told him "We put you out there not because of ur skills,but because you tried hard on practices af. We don't expect from u goals,just go there and help us to win the cup."

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Volkov told on interview,that during this play off he had a dream(while asleep) that he will play against Dallas,somehow he felt it,even before 6th game when he didnt know that he will start,he had feeling that he will play. He also told that decision that he will play,made coach with leaders,they had discussion and they decided to give Volkov chance,cuz he tried really hard on practices. It was Maroon who told him that he will play "Maroon came to me and said,u will play with me,its 99%"
Even though he was told that he will play 30 minutes before game,Cooper told him "We put you out there not because of ur skills,but because you tried hard on practices af. We don't expect from u goals,just go there and help us to win the cup."

Sounds like he worked hard and got rewarded. Great to hear.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What do y’all expect from Volkov this season? Taxi? Replace CV on the 4th? Top-6/9 and 10-15 goals?

Top 9 somewhere. I'm very measured in my expectations because he's in "that" stage of his career where he is going to have wild ups and downs and I'd be happy with even 10 or 15 points. He's only had 10 total games and everything I saw of him speaks to a young man who is still developing, still needs coaching, and still needs time to learn and prove himself. I hate to say it but the only time I noticed him was when I went and looked for him. On so many shifts the play just seemingly happened "around him" and in the harshest of terms, he would take a long time to do nothing. In Volkov's defense, where have we seen THAT before? It happened to Point, to Stamkos, to Lecavalier.... So really we just gotta give Volkov time to learn and to prove himself because it's not his fault that he's at "this" stage in his development. It's very rare for a rookie player to immediately jump into the NHL level and get it right away.

The only other comment I've got is if he struggles to a great degree and has something like 5 points in 42 games, then offer him a chance to go back home to Russia. God knows he said he misses it there. He remains a member of the Lightning organization and gets to play for a club like CSKA for a few years and he will not only continue to grow at the professional level, but I think it could be an emotionally healthy experience for him.

I'm not even expecting that to happen either. That is solely worst case scenario

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Good to see some young players improving. We will need that going forward if we want to remain a contender down the road.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The same can be said for Joseph, but it’s great to see these young guys who have been at it for a while in the organization start to get results. I think both guys practicing day in and day out with the team in the bubble will really payoff for them this season, but it helps so much to get on the board early and build confidence.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Part of me thinks Kucherov could be the only reason he's still with the organization. Seems like he took Volkov under his wing since day 1 and probably helped reassure him to stick with it when things weren't going as well as he hoped. Nice to see him string together a few good games. Not sure if he'll cement a substantial role on this team for years to come, but at least he's contributing and playing with some confidence now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->