Player Discussion: Alexander Volkov

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not gonna bag on Volkov for answering that many loaded questions honestly. But at the same time, it doesn't sound like he has adapted to North America. Nor has he really taken the challenge seriously and lacks a lot of mental resources needed to deal with all the adversity that comes with development and culture change and has a problem living in an area as small as Syracuse. I don't like his odds of not burning out or becoming apathetic if he doesn't succeed soon. The guy just does not sound happy. At the same time, I'm sure I'd be doing about as well if I had to figure out how to adapt to live playing for Nizhnekamsk Neftekemik. It's all perspective.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
"Daria Tuboltseva: You’ve played at the Nassau Coliseum, the home arena for the New York Islanders, it’s known as one of the most atmospheric in the whole league.
Alex Volkov: Yes, the fans was very cool, always supporting their team. For example, when they see that the opponent is locked in their own defensive zone, they are trying to stimulate their own team. If the Devils player makes a wrong pass, the crowd starts booing. I’ve read the interview with Nico Hischier, he said that they don’t even know why the fans are treating them like that. It’s very hard to play with such crowd."

Lol, even other teams AHL-players take notice about that.

"But the game didn’t go very well, I didn’t have any shots. Honestly we played indistinct, our line didn’t do anything and allowed two goals. However I think that wasn’t our fault, but defenders. Either way the debut was spoiled."

Other parts i like how he talks straight but this one whoops. You just don't blame other players publicly.

"Daria Tuboltseva: There are some vegetarians in the NHL: Zdeno Chara, Ryan O’Reilly. They don’t eat meat, but using some protein derived from beef.
Alex Volkov: Didn’t even know that. Honestly I don’t even imagine how to live eating only grass. This is not tasty at all."

Lmao, is this guy for real.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Agreed. Dude sounds like he is homesick and it sounds like he's given it his best shot and isn't happy. I'd be the least surprised person in the world if he went back to Russia once his ELC was done.
Sounds like he's just an arrogant person and not something that's lost in translation. Knowing our organization's history with these players I can't see him being with us for too long.

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

He comes from the land of always winter where it's the same temperature in Moscow as it is Syracuse right now and says it's too cold to walk the dog or there's nowhere to walk it and he's stuck inside all day.... unfortunately he's dead f***ing serious.

Reactions: aessi

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sounds like he's just an arrogant person and not something that's lost in translation. Knowing our organization's history with these players I can't see him being with us for too long.

He sounds very arrogant but yet held himself accountable for not taking his English lessons seriously, his behavior when not making the team and playing not to get hurt. I think many Russian players come off that way and had he not been as objective of his own behavior I would have fully agreed. Nail Yakupov especially rubbed people the wrong way and yet he didn't have a mean bone in his body and was the nicest, hardest working guy you could have ever asked for. I want to give Volkov the benefit of the doubt here because it sounds like his time here has been hard for him. God knows I understand.

But in the end, I completely agree. I don't see him being happy here in Tampa. Jon Cooper is hard enough on rookies and if he for any reason loses his job in favor of a guy like Babcock (God forbid) Lavi or Gallant it's only gonna get worse.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Volkov has a great future with this team IMO. This **** is getting overblown.

The only way he has a long term future with us is if Kucherov demands he play with him in the top 6. Otherwise I think he's the next Panik and will be an average NHL player who bounces aren't a few teams. With his inconsistency and what now seems like a bit of an attitude he's not a guy who you commit to long term, you have them around a year or two max.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Not seeing "it" with Volkov. I doubt he's with us up in the NHL for any length of time

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
"Daria Tuboltseva: There are some vegetarians in the NHL: Zdeno Chara, Ryan O’Reilly. They don’t eat meat, but using some protein derived from beef.
Alex Volkov: Didn’t even know that. Honestly I don’t even imagine how to live eating only grass. This is not tasty at all."

This single answer has removed any doubts about how cool Volkov is..

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The arrogance thing could easily be something in the translation. We used to see similar stuff in Kucherov interviews.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The only way he has a long term future with us is if Kucherov demands he play with him in the top 6. Otherwise I think he's the next Panik and will be an average NHL player who bounces aren't a few teams. With his inconsistency and what now seems like a bit of an attitude he's not a guy who you commit to long term, you have them around a year or two max.

His profile is useful to this team IMO. He's a big guy and quite versatile, Killorn lite. Honestly, it's not like he's out of his depth, he's responsible out there, just that he hasn't had an eye opening rookie campaign. I would give till the end of the season to figure it out, but I would like to see what the things he can provide in the playoffs first.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
His profile is useful to this team IMO. He's a big guy and quite versatile, Killorn lite. Honestly, it's not like he's out of his depth, he's responsible out there, just that he hasn't had an eye opening rookie campaign. I would give till the end of the season to figure it out, but I would like to see what the things he can provide in the playoffs first.

Unless we have a couple of injuries I'm not sure he'll play in the playoffs. Not sure who the 13th forward is between him and Joseph and we still could add a piece at the deadline. He's got a good skillset the problem is he just doesn't know how to use it every night. Like I said he reminds me of Panik, a big skilled winger but super inconsistent. Like Panik, Erne and Connolly before him those kinds of players don't usually last with us so I can see us moving him for a piece this year or in the offseason. If he can get hot in Syracuse down the stretch and put the early season struggles behind him we can give him another shot next year but there's a lot of competition for the bottom 6 winger spots starting to pile up.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Volkov has a great future with this team IMO. This **** is getting overblown.

I agree it's getting overblown but I'm seriously starting to wonder if Volkov actually wants that future or not. He's got 160 games worth of AHL experience and yet somehow looks worse than Connolly did as an undeveloped 18 year old. I know it's only been 8 games but holy cow... the poor guy just does NOT look ready and I don't know if this guy can handle the AHL anymore. He's had a few good plays here and there but has otherwise just taken bad penalties and looked disjointed from the other 4 players on the ice.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Daria Tuboltseva: I see you are following everything that happens in the NHL, even read the interview with Hischier.
Alex Volkov: There is nothing to do in Syracuse. Besides watching TV shows, Youtube and playing hockey, I’m not doing anything. The city is pretty small, there’re just two restaurants.
Daria Tuboltseva: Sergachev said it’s not much better in Tampa
Alex Volkov: Well, I think it’s more pleasant to live in Tampa due to the climate. The weather is pretty important. When it’s -20°C in winter and you have nothing to do, it’s different. I have a dog and don’t even have a place to walk with her.

Shame we'll have to get rid of Sergachev for his bad attitude, too.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I agree it's getting overblown but I'm seriously starting to wonder if Volkov actually wants that future or not. He's got 160 games worth of AHL experience and yet somehow looks worse than Connolly did as an undeveloped 18 year old. I know it's only been 8 games but holy cow... the poor guy just does NOT look ready and I don't know if this guy can handle the AHL anymore. He's had a few good plays here and there but has otherwise just taken bad penalties and looked disjointed from the other 4 players on the ice.

It's a gut feeling, nothing rational I admit. But I feel he's a late bloomer and patience will reward us. He's got the tools and just needs someone to light a fire under his ass to get his **** together IMO.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Shame we'll have to get rid of Sergachev for his bad attitude, too.
Pretty sure people are not upset over Volkov calling Syracuse a boring city but rather openly blaming his team mates for goals against and saying he would be better off going back to Russia than playing in the AHL...

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Pretty sure people are not upset over Volkov calling Syracuse a boring city but rather openly blaming his team mates for goals against and saying he would be better off going back to Russia than playing in the AHL...
TBF he didn’t come over because he dreamt of playing in the AHL. For Russians the KHL is a lucrative alternative and well, home.

Kid needs to be patient, shut his mouth and put in the work though.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Have to admit that I am not seeing it with Volkov! Even when CV and Stephens were/are struggling, I see glimpses of an underlying NHL player. Volkov had a nice assist on the Killorn goal recently but even that took a nice shot by Killer to get the goal! I still think the Bolts will add a winger at trade deadline and Volkov will be back in the AHL for rest of the season at that point.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Have to admit that I am not seeing it with Volkov! Even when CV and Stephens were/are struggling, I see glimpses of an underlying NHL player. Volkov had a nice assist on the Killorn goal recently but even that took a nice shot by Killer to get the goal! I still think the Bolts will add a winger at trade deadline and Volkov will be back in the AHL for rest of the season at that point.
Sure but Volkov is a healthy scratch even now that they don't add a winger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad