Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Romanov will be a fine top 4 eventually. He has the physical attrubutes. He’s a gamer and he’s intense.

He will always be a force one on one because of that.

Right now, he needs to learn that he’s got a position and he needs to stick to it. By running around the zone chasing the puck carrier, all he does is compromise his teammates’ positioning. And it ends up in an overextended shift. And THEN coaches and teammates get mad at him.

This is exactly why he was benched multiple times last year. NHL hockey is a systems game. He needs to learn to stick to it. Hope he gets it this season. He’s still a pup.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Romanov will be a fine top 4 eventually. He has the physical attrubutes. He’s a gamer and he’s intense.

He will always be a force one on one because of that.

Right now, he needs to learn that he’s got a position and he needs to stick to it. By running around the zone chasing the puck carrier, all he does is compromise his teammates’ positioning. And it ends up in an overextended shift. And THEN coaches and teammates get mad at him.

This is exactly why he was benched multiple times last year. NHL hockey is a systems game. He needs to learn to stick to it. Hope he gets it this season. He’s still a pup.
Great post!

Reactions: Tyson

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
This is one pick where scouting deserves credit. No other team it seems had him ranked in the 2nd round. None of us did.

Some teams don't have him in the list.

His agent say that if Romy have played in Canada, he would drafted top 10.

Last night we say his qualities, if he put his all things together, he is going to be a force one day.

Like Guhle, I see top pairing defenseman potential.

Reactions: Tyson

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
He is becoming exactly what I thought Emelin would be. It's exciting.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He is becoming exactly what I thought Emelin would be. It's exciting.

Agree and he is so much better than Emelin. Emelin have been a good top 4 defenseman in my opinion. Romanov is a better passer, better shooter, better skater, better vision.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Could someone please explain to me what are we trying to achieve with this kid?

I didn't like him last year. I thought he had some very good physical qualities and great character, but he was very raw. Playing him with Kulak didn't help either.

This year, he's not ready for the matchups Petry and Savard are getting, which means he's either terribly exposed, or inevitably ends up on a leftover pairing with Wideman or Kulak.

Is there any plan here, or they just assumed he would step up, because they needed him to step up? Where is a veteran 3rd pair D with whom he can play in sheltered minutes?

It seems to me like he's on a straight path to the AHL and like others before him, he'll find himself there not as a promising rookie who has to gain experience and work on his game, but as a disappointing player who has been mauled at the NHL level.

This story repeats itself so many times that I'm just speechless at this point. This kid was supposed to be one of the crown jewels of our retool.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I didn't like him last year. I thought he had some very good physical qualities and great character, but he was very raw. Playing him with Kulak didn't help either.

This year, he's not ready for the matchups Petry and Savard are getting, which means he's either terribly exposed, or inevitably ends up on a leftover pairing with Wideman or Kulak.

Is there any plan here, or they just assumed he would step up, because they needed him to step up? Where is a veteran 3rd pair D with whom he can play in sheltered minutes?

It seems to me like he's on a straight path to the AHL and like others before him, he'll find himself there not as a promising rookie who has to gain experience and work on his game, but as a disappointing player who has been mauled at the NHL level.

This story repeats itself so many times that I'm just speechless at this point. This kid was supposed to be one of the crown jewels of our retool.
He was always OVERRATED asf but I still think he would have start the season last yrs in the AHL

Reactions: Archijerej

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
Reminder: He's yet to play a full NHL season, he's played 59 career NHL games.

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E
Thank you!

That's the fan base and media here, always ready to call a bust a 21 year old defenseman

Watch others teams and they'll see other young up coming defenseman struggling too. That's part of the growth and development of NHL defenseman

Reactions: 417

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Plan? Who needs a plan.... everyone knows a player either has it or doesn't. If he fails, it's because he just doesn't have it. Can't fault the team for anything, it's not their job to develop talent beyond throwing him in the lineup... sink or swim baby!

This is the MB way.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Thank you!

That's the fan base and media here, always ready to call a bust a 21 year old defenseman

Watch others teams and they'll see other young up coming defenseman struggling too. That's part of the growth and development of NHL defenseman
And really, what's the alternative to playing him anyway? It's not like they have anyone in Laval to step in. This year isn't going to be another cup run. They'd be so much better off competing for Wright. The pool is not as deep as some people here think.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Didn't get to watch much of last night's game, seems like he looked alright with Savard? It just feels like the most natural 2nd pair option to me so hopefully they stick with it.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Reminder: He's yet to play a full NHL season, he's played 59 career NHL games.

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

And he didn't play a lot of minutes in those games.

What worries me is that the habs are way into their Julien/Therrien "the NHL isn't a development league so if I can destroy prospects they weren't ready" thing. If they "don't have time to point out all the stuff a player is wrong" and "can't focus on that one guy when I have a game to win" they should hire an additional assistant coach or two to do just that.

The NHL is a competitive league but if you can't develop young guys from different leagues you will lose. Probably why the habs tend to end up dropping a lot of Russians and others and just stick with Canadian/American/Finnish guys. Romanov is currently the only exception with the habs.

Better teams will integrate people from more places. Habs don't do that, too hard for the coaches.

Reactions: Toene and 417

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Plan? Who needs a plan.... everyone knows a player either has it or doesn't. If he fails, it's because he just doesn't have it. Can't fault the team for anything, it's not their job to develop talent beyond throwing him in the lineup... sink or swim baby!

This is the MB way.

Honestly this alone should be reason enough for a management change. It's been 10 years of this...

They literally just finished doing it to Mete and they about to do same thing again. Won't be long before people start saying he never had potential. Wonder how many will defend rushing Guhle/Norlinder to NHL to play on his weak side as completely different. 'These guys have what it takes, totally different than Romanov/Mete.'

Reactions: Gravity and dcyhabs

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Just wondering how valuable he is ? Time will tell I guess. Savard pairing seems a bit better for now but Petry looked very annoyed playing with him.

Jul 6, 2016
Romanov has still lots to learn. Can it be done at NHL level OR would it be better to spend few weeks at AHL level as soon as possible.

Reactions: MilesNewton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad