Player Discussion Alexander Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I don't know who between Romanov and Guhle are going to be the better player in the future but they have potential to become top pairing defenseman.

They show that with their hitting ability, defensive ability, skating ability, passing ability, mobility ability, they certainly looks like stud D's.

Guhle is more a prototype of Weber/McDonagh/Foote.
Romanov is more a prototype of Kronwall/Orlov/Doughty.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't know who between Romanov and Guhle are going to be the better player in the future but they have potential to become top pairing defenseman.

They show that with their hitting ability, defensive ability, skating ability, passing ability, mobility ability, they certainly looks like stud D's.

Personally it's Guhle. I can see Guhle being a 1st pair D but I see Romanov more on a 2nd pair. He doesn't have enough offence and I'm not sure he can plays the big tough minutes that I can see Guhle playing.

Reactions: HabsQC

Jul 6, 2016

Oups ! Comparing Romanov and Doughty... Really ?

Danny Dubé, in the post game broadcast yesterday, thinks Romanov is not playing his game and he is scared to make mistakes because of what happened in the last Playoffs when he was scratched for the two first games and some more at the end.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Danny Dubé, in the post game broadcast yesterday, thinks Romanov is not playing his game and he is scared to make mistakes because of what happened in the last Playoffs when he was scratched for the two first games and some more at the end.

I'd compare their style. Romanov is two-way D who play with intensity, Doughty is a two-way D who love play with intensity too, Doughty is better no doubt, but Romanov play the similar style of Doughty and Romy have top pairing upside.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'd compare their style. Romanov is two-way D who play with intensity, Doughty is a two-way D who love play with intensity too, Doughty is better no doubt, but Romanov play the similar style of Doughty and Romy have top pairing upside.
Doughty is one of the best D of his generation and he's a great PP QB. Romanov doesn't have a lot of offense into him and he doesn't control the game like Doughty does. I never really understood the comparison between those 2

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Glad to have both Guhle and Romanov

And then you look down the list of the other D prospects like Norlinder, Harris, Mailloux, Fairbrother, and Struble... and then see Trudeau, Kostenko, and Sobolev.... and of course, we can't forget Brook.

Not a bad group of D prospects. Aside from Brook (taken in 2017), all of them have been drafted in 2018 or later.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
Doughty is one of the best D of his generation and he's a great PP QB. Romanov doesn't have a lot of offense into him and he doesn't control the game like Doughty does. I never really understood the comparison between those 2

Agree. Hard to find comparable i can See a bit of kronwall in romy, but not That much. As for ghule, the combinaton of speed and d awareness is just wow, maybe Rob Blake ish

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Need to see more of him just wondering if he can mentally keep it together to play within the system fo this age.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The kid is so good already. He will have some growing pains as he enters his 2nd season but he is determined to become a great player, I like his chances.

Reactions: Tuggy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The kid is so good already. He will have some growing pains as he enters his 2nd season but he is determined to become a great player, I like his chances.

Hi IQ dmen will his skating ability are rare. Let's hope he has the goods.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal

Ive said he is a lite Doughty..

Cause he is effortless with the puck and his ability to move around the ice and be in constant movement.. on the other end in the decision making département and offensive vision Doughty is miles ahead.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He's a gym rat also and he was pissed that Merrill was playing ahead of him during our PO run, he thought he was better than the guy.

Expecting a big year out of him for sure, he seems to have that "I want to be the best" drive in him.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

He was scratched for for more than a couple at the start and the at the end.
Your post makes it seem he played 5 games 1st rd, all the games vs Peg n Vegas than got got benched in the finals. Not even remotely close.

Jul 6, 2016
He was scratched for for more than a couple at the start and the at the end.
Your post makes it seem he played 5 games 1st rd, all the games vs Peg n Vegas than got got benched in the finals. Not even remotely close.

You re right. He did not play much. More reasons to not feel confident.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
You re right. He did not play much. More reasons to not feel confident.

It does suggest you didn't watch the games thou as you used "Danny Dube" word for what happened in POs which is not what happened, but OK if that's how you judge a player.

Jul 6, 2016
It does suggest you didn't watch the games thou as you used "Danny Dube" word for what happened in POs which is not what happened, but OK if that's how you judge a player.

I just did not remember he played so few games. But It di agree with Dubé that Romanov is not playing like he could because being put in the stands did not help his confidence at all.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I just did not remember he played so few games. But It di agree with Dubé that Romanov is not playing like he could because being put in the stands did not help his confidence at all.
I actually think when high energy/determination guys get scratched it makes them better in the long run as they will train even harder to prove everybody wrong.

But it clearly depends on the individual, some will push even harder while some will feel down and then sign an offer sheet... :laugh:

Reactions: aresknights

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Sometimes professional sports is actually about trying to win a game. And hard to argue they made the wrong roster choices when the made it to the finals and lost to a far better team.
He was making mistakes, playing out of position and they were patient with him during the season. Yes I do think he is processing what is being asked of him to play within the system vs. Free wheeling it. I don't think it's a confidence issue, I thi k it's a learning process.
I think his confidence is just fine. It seems he is battling between making the right play positional as to not have the team D system fall apart and his instincts. Just a learning process. He is a young Dman. Happens to almost all of them. I think he will be fine

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Could see Romanov become, at best, kind of like Vladimir Konstantinov. Same frame, relatively same style of play, and I don't say that because they're both russians. Don't know if Alexander is as fearless as Vladimir was, but he's making a strong case right now. And I say 'at best', cause Konstantinov, before his career ending injury, was on his way to become a top-60 D in the league.

Otherwise, could see him have a Darius Kasparaitis/Barret Jackman type of career, below average sized dman who's still scary to cross on the blue-line and in the corners.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Sometimes professional sports is actually about trying to win a game. And hard to argue they made the wrong roster choices when the made it to the finals and lost to a far better team.
He was making mistakes, playing out of position and they were patient with him during the season.
I think his confidence is just fine. It seems he is battling between making the right play positional as to not have the team D system fall apart and his instincts. Just a learning process. He is a young Dman. Happens to almost all of them.

He was playing as a 6-7 D in the KHL at some point in his development. I think he's use to that kind of treatment. He had a rough stretch at the end of the season and I think benching him for a couple of games was the right move. Still wouldn't have play Gustafsson and Merill that much in the playoffs and would have put Romanov in more games but it worked, it seems.

Reactions: montreal

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
He was playing as a 6-7 D in the KHL at some point in his development. I think he's use to that kind of treatment. He had a rough stretch at the end of the season and I think benching him for a couple of games was the right move. Still wouldn't have play Gustafsson and Merill that much in the playoffs and would have put Romanov in more games but it worked, it seems.

Ya Ida played him more as well and kept him sheltered.
The staff picked the vets hoping they'd more likely be in position ( but maybe less likely to make a play lol) But I get it.
Good point about the KHL.

Reactions: Revansky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad