Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think AHL should be higher, or at least equal to #3-4. I know it's hard to judge because of the rink size, but a guy like Antti Suomela was a PPG in Liiga and is .5 PPG in the AHL, Texier close to PPG in Liiga and, even if it was just 7 games, was PPG in the AHL. Same for Puljujarvi, he was close to PPG in the AHL and is in Liiga. Same could be said for the NLA, with guys like Arcobello/Wingels/D'Agostino being PPG, just like they were in the AHL. Allsvenskan should be lower than AHL. Jonathan Dahlen was an average AHL player and dominate there. Ii think that the only guy who dominated this league and got a shot by a team in the NHL was Victor Ejdsell and he didn't work out.

For Romanov, I think it's hard to talk about his numbers, because in the last 10 years, the only D under 20 years that end up playing in the NHL were Dimitri Orlov, Vladislav Gavrikov and Ilya Lyubushkin. The last 2 started playing in the NHL at 24 (both came last year), but they aren't known for their offensive abilities (6'2 and 6'3, they are both defensive D/stay at home).

Orlov is probably the only comparison we have. Orlov put up 7 pts in 41 games at his D+1 and 13 pts in 45 in his D+2. Both year, he was with a pretty bad team offensively (both years, the scoring leader had 24 and 26 in 55 games). Also, Orlov was send in the MHL in his D+1 and put up 13 pts in 7 games + 19 pts in 17 playoff games, but we can't compare these numbers because Romanov wasn't send to the MHL. Also, Orlov played 15 games in the KHL in his draft year, so he had this small experience VS Romanov.

Orlov played in the WJC-18 and got 4 pts/+7 in 7 games VS Romanov who had 3 pts/+5 in 5 games. Same with WJC-20, Orlov had 4 pts in 6 games VS Romanov 8 pts/+12 in 7 games.

We can't say it's a perfect comparison, but Orlov became a good 30 pts top-4D at 24 yo, and he wasn't bad before that.

So, I hope this little research help!

I think it's fair to say the AHL is in the conversation behind the KHL and SHL

Reactions: dralaf

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Way below? Not sure about that but it's a wild guess. Would you have the AHL ahead of the SHL?
AHL would be slightly below the SHL because of the vets rule.

Allvenskan is bad except the few teams that tween between SHL/Allvenskan every year.

Edit: I'd even say it's closer to the ECHL than the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
AHL would be slightly below the SHL because of the vets rule.

Allvenskan is bad except the few teams that tween between SHL/Allvenskan every year.

Edit: I'd even say it's closer to the ECHL than the AHL.

I would put the Allsvenskan league between the ECHL vs AHL. Does the ECHL have a talent like Norlinder playing in it? Does it have any world junior eligible players?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I would put the Allsvenskan league between the ECHL vs AHL. Does the ECHL have a talent like Norlinder playing in it? Does it have any world junior eligible players?
World junior eligible player usually play in the CHL, NCAA or USHL in NA. I'm pretty sure you can find players who played in a wjc in the ECHL though.

You can definitely find players that have the current ability of Norlinder in the ECHL. Potential ability probably not though.

Reactions: Steeler23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
World junior eligible player usually play in the CHL, NCAA or USHL in NA. I'm pretty sure you can find players who played in a wjc in the ECHL though.

You can definitely find players that have the current ability of Norlinder in the ECHL. Potential ability probably not though.

I'm not a fan of the ECHL at all. I'd be interested to know if anybody recalls any ECHL player who played world juniors? Tinordi or McCarron didn't even play ECHL ever from what I remember.

I'll give you the AHL/Allsvenskan debate of the AHL being better overall but ECHL is bottom of the barrel with me.

Reactions: jaffy27

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I'm not a fan of the ECHL at all. I'd be interested to know if anybody recalls any ECHL player who played world juniors? Tinordi or McCarron didn't even play ECHL ever from what I remember.

I'll give you the AHL/Allsvenskan debate of the AHL being better overall but ECHL is bottom of the barrel with me.
Zachary Fucale is one. I'm on my phone so I won't bother going through the list, but there is definitely some other guys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Zachary Fucale is one. I'm on my phone so I won't bother going through the list, but there is definitely some other guys.

Good catch. Fucale played 46 ECHL games as a 21 year old and is in the ECHL still today at 24.

But my comment was more about current world junior talent playing ECHL like Norlinder is right now and playing Allsvenskan.

Reactions: jaffy27

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Good catch. Fucale played 46 ECHL games as a 21 year old and is in the ECHL still today at 24.

But my comment was more about current world junior talent playing ECHL like Norlinder is right now and playing Allsvenskan.

You won't get those because current world junior talent doesn't play pro hockey in NA most of the time and definitely not ECHL.

If they play pro, it's the NHL or very rarely the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You won't get those because current world junior talent doesn't play pro hockey in NA most of the time and definitely not ECHL.

If they play pro, it's the NHL or very rarely the AHL.

Yes but the WJC does not only have just the US and Canada. Europe chooses players from all over including the Allsvenskan.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes but the WJC does not only have just the US and Canada. Europe chooses players from all over including the Allsvenskan

Junior-aged euro players usually don't come to NA to play pro. If they do, it's usually the NHL or sometime the AHL.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
You have the AHL higher than I expected. I think it's more like the Allsvenskan league.

Few things as to why I value AHL higher than every men league in Europe :

- Small ice surface
- More physical (main argument)
- They have a vet maximum rule, but those vets could probably play on a 4th NHL line and not look so bad
- Everybody is fighting for an NHL spot so they play at their best

I think if you put let's say a Liiga team on a small ice surface, I think they would struggle with the physicality of the AHL. If you put an AHL team on a bigger ice surface, they might have a hard time with the speed of their game. But since hockey is harder on a smaller ice rink, I put the AHL above Liiga. SHL is pretty close to AHL tho, could probably ranked them 3A and 3B.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Junior-aged euro players usually don't come to NA to play pro. If they do, it's usually the NHL or sometime the AHL.

It does not change the fact that WJC talent is chosen from the Allsvenskan league by European countries. Of course the US and Canada have a different set up but ECHL is AHL scraps.

NHL/AHL/ECHL
vs
SHL/Allsvenskan

I would have Allsvenskan a notch below SHL but not in the same conversation as the ECHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Few things as to why I value AHL higher than every men league in Europe :

- Small ice surface
- More physical (main argument)
- They have a vet maximum rule, but those vets could probably play on a 4th NHL line and not look so bad
- Everybody is fighting for an NHL spot so they play at their best

I think if you put let's say a Liiga team on a small ice surface, I think they would struggle with the physicality of the AHL. If you put an AHL team on a bigger ice surface, they might have a hard time with the speed of their game. But since hockey is harder on a smaller ice rink, I put the AHL above Liiga. SHL is pretty close to AHL tho, could probably ranked them 3A and 3B.

I get those differences in context but I would have SHL ahead of the AHL.

NHL/AHL/ECHL
vs
SHL/Allsvenskan

Interesting to try and compare them but how can we know for sure? :dunno:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I get those differences in context but I would have SHL ahead of the AHL.

NHL/AHL/ECHL
vs
SHL/Allsvenskan

Interesting to try and compare them but how can we know for sure? :dunno:

I'd love to see a mini serie of the All star AHL players vs All star SHL or Liiga players. Some game here and some over there. Or both league champions.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It does not change the fact that WJC talent is chosen from the Allsvenskan league by European countries. Of course the US and Canada have a different set up but ECHL is AHL scraps.

NHL/AHL/ECHL
vs
SHL/Allsvenskan

I would have Allsvenskan a notch below SHL but not in the same conversation as the ECHL.

WJC talent would be taken from the ECHL if it was set up like Europe. I don't know why you think that makes the ECHL worse.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Reactions: kevsavard95

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It’s not set up Europe and ECHL is AHL dumping ground

Allsvenskan is the SHL dumping ground as much as ECHL is the AHL dumping ground.

Set up as in structurally organized as, not as conspiracy bullshit. Players below 18 cannot play in the AHL/ECHL, but they can play in the Euro league. This means they get into a pro organization as 15-16 years old (sometimes even before that) while in NA they can only do it at 18 years old. Even then, they cannot join any pro league except the NHL before 20 if they played in the CHL (except euros loaned from their euro club). And for non-CHL guys, they can't go pro if they plan to ever play in the NCAA. The organization of NA leagues is just not suitable to your requirement of having WJC-eligible guys on the roster.

Does the Allsvenskan have better prospects than the ECHL (potential ability)? 100% yes

Is a Allsvenskan team better than a ECHL team (current ability)? Depends on which one.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Well since that will never happen, as brillant your idea could be, TODAY, it's Europe or CHL for Europeans. Not playing a lot and being benched in a league filled with vets that most likely would not have been good enough to play in the NHL....or play a lot and dominate in a younger league filled also with a lot of people who will not make it either.

I say to each their own....but I will never believe that not playing is the way to improve no matter the competition.

I agree, he should play. Probably the fin league would be the best place still.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This list is weird... Romanov there but no Kotkaniemi? Seems very reactionary... Yes he's had a bad start but he's barely 19 lol. Quinn Hughes at 33 ?? He should be top 20 IMO.

I don't think JK is in the top 50 of u24 players at the time of writing this.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I did not see Romanov enough to make a definitive call on that. But JK is not playing like a top u24 player.
Despite his terrible start to the season, I just don't see how Romanov makes the list and Kotkaniemi doesn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad