Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
No. We must rush every prospect.

There have been no negative effects to rushing prospects. That's why Mete, Juulsen, LeBlanc, Mccarron, De la rose, Galchenyuk and Tinordi have all been elite players for us and met even their floors.

Lol you think rushing the names you mentioned had anything to do with the little talent they had. Leblanc ? Mac ? Tinordi ? What does Juulsens injuries have to do with this converstion ? And Chuckys attitude has nothing to do with bringing him up to early. Dela rose ?? Really ? Ughhh

Reactions: bsl

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
He can play NHL next year but we would have to do transfer payment to the KHL (like Soccer) to get him play for the Habs. Its' very likely the KHL team extends him and forces the Habs hand at paying them even more so he can be released to us. Might be next year, more likely the year after. It's part of the game and the KHL wants to recoup money.

Look at it from Romanov's situation...
- He will play KHL cause he can make more money vs AHL.
- He will sign an extension with the KHL if he has to so he can avoid the AHL.
- He wants the fasted route to burn the ELC so he can start making NHL money. So he will play KHL until he is NHL ready. In this case, he makes the most money he can before he starts his ELC in the NHL.

This approach works for his KHL team and for Romanov.

But he won't sign an extension.

He is ALREADY SIGNED for 2019/2020, his current contract is a 2 years deal that runs from this season to the next.

He has ALREADY STATED PUBLICLY that he intends to come over after the 2019/2020 season.

It is really bogus to me all of these people dangling buying out contracts and transfer payments and all of that when the guy has already made his intents known.

Barring any trade, the only improvement to the LD we will get in the offseason will be the signature of Jimmy Schuldt out of St-Cloud.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But he won't sign an extension.

He is ALREADY SIGNED for 2019/2020, his current contract is a 2 years deal that runs from this season to the next.

He has ALREADY STATED PUBLICLY that he intends to come over after the 2019/2020 season.

It is really bogus to me all of these people dangling buying out contracts and transfer payments and all of that when the guy has already made his intents known.

Barring any trade, the only improvement to the LD we will get in the offseason will be the signature of Jimmy Schuldt out of St-Cloud.

1) Signed for this year and next. Agreed
2) You don't know if he signs an extension or not.
3) He will choose the fastest way to get money. That's either the KHL or NHL. I doubt he has plans to play AHL but it's possible.

I do agree about the timing of making the trip overseas after next season but plans can change. The KHL team is going to put pressure on him to extend where they have leverage and recoup some money for their asset. The Habs will put pressure on him to sign the ELC.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
1) Signed for this year and next. Agreed
2) You don't know if he signs an extension or not.
3) He will choose the fastest way to get money. That's either the KHL or NHL. I doubt he has plans to play AHL but it's possible.

I do agree about the timing of making the trip overseas after next season but plans can change. The KHL team is going to put pressure on him to extend where they have leverage and recoup some money for their asset. The Habs will put pressure on him to sign the ELC.

I read the same quote (can't find it now) where Romanov said he plans to come to NA after his current KHL contract ends.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Romanov would have to buyout his contract to leave the KHL and he said himself we aren't seeing him until 2020-2021.
I wouldn't get my hopes up that he is coming over as of next year.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Being wrong about a prospect = mishandled.

You're right.

It's development 101 to call up a player every time he has 4-5 good games at a lower level and then give him 5-6 minutes a night on the fourth line for 30 games before sending them back down.

That's excellent handling. No complaints. Hope we keep doing it.

And it's well documented that I didn't want Tinordi, DLR, of McCarron. I especially didn't want LeBlanc. so that doesn't make me wrong about them, it would make me right, but that doesn't mean I cant hate the way they were handled.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You're right.

It's development 101 to call up a player every time he has 4-5 good games at a lower level and then give him 5-6 minutes a night on the fourth line for 30 games before sending them back down.

And it's well documented that I didn't want Tinordi, DLR, of McCarron. I especially didn't want LeBlanc. so that doesn't make me wrong about them, it would make me right, but that doesn't mean I cant hate the way they were handled.

Leblanc was not given only 5-6 minutes per night on the 4th line. He got decent minutes on the third line and put up a few points, not bad for a rookie. He did not progress because at the end of the day, he was not athletic enough to make it at the highest levels. Then he lost confidence.

DLR was a bit mishandled in my opinion. I think he could have been developed into a 3C, but Danault is nevertheless better.

McCarron not so much. I believe was wrong about his upside when I posted during his D+2 year. He was playing on stacked teams and dominated smaller guys. He just wasn't quick enough to be a Center at the NHL level. I think where the team messed up was not converting him full-time to a winger and trying to develop him into a 15 goal guy. All that being said, the player did not show the hunger other prospects have shown. This year he may have started to change, too bad for his injury, but he may get one more chance next camp. I hope it's as a winger.

Reactions: Vachon23

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yeah, I don't consider Kotkaniemi rushed because he's proven that he's capable of playing in the NHL and that he remains inventive in his approach. I don't see a guy where the league is too much and he's just being a safe version. He has off games as being young anyone will. But he's not shy in any approach.

My main problem is with the guys who would get called up any time they had a modicum of success at the AHL level offensively then toil on the fourth line for twenty games before being sent down.

I also hate their approach with Hudon at the moment. They should be playing him instead of no upside Agostino. He's not gonna get some level of consistency in his game by not playing often. He had a good year last year and he has his moments when he plays but they never give him a leash.
My belief is that Hudon would take a considerable amount of time to develop as a solid bottom 6 NHLer, kind of like he did at the AHL level.

Problem is habs cant afford to have him out there learning the ropes right now. He’s better off getting traded to a bottom tier team where they can afford to develop his NHL a game.

I wish him well cause I actually like the player.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My belief is that Hudon would take a considerable amount of time to develop as a solid bottom 6 NHLer, kind of like he did at the AHL level.

Problem is habs cant afford to have him out there learning the ropes right now. He’s better off getting traded to a bottom tier team where they can afford to develop his NHL a game.

I wish him well cause I actually like the player.

Why cant they afford it? They know they aren't winning this year. They are retooling or whatever nonsense they call it.

So why cant they have Hudon learn on the job all year long? Over guys like Chaput or Agostino who are what they are. Waiver fodder. They'll be like Brian Flynn et Al . Just players we barely remembered playing for the team because they had literally 0 impact.

I'd rather lose a game here or there and be damn sure I know what Hudon is before I let him go and keep vanilla players with no upside or impact.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why cant they afford it? They know they aren't winning this year. They are retooling or whatever nonsense they call it.

So why cant they have Hudon learn on the job all year long? Over guys like Chaput or Agostino who are what they are. Waiver fodder. They'll be like Brian Flynn et Al . Just players we barely remembered playing for the team because they had literally 0 impact.

I'd rather lose a game here or there and be damn sure I know what Hudon is before I let him go and keep vanilla players with no upside or impact.
They retooled in the off season.....they are now fighting for a playoff spot.....the objective has changed

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Then they are just as stupid as theyve always been.
They are doing everything to win and are in good posture to make the playoffs, what would be stupid at this point is letting things go and play a bubble NHLer like Hudon over role players just to see if the kid can reach another gear while risking to miss the playoffs by some pts, that would be really stupid, not the opposite...

Would you rather make the playoffs and watch some exciting hockey or miss and draft only a few spots higher? Ask Oilers fans for fun...

Chuput and Agostino are role players while Hudon is useless on a fourth line while too inconsistent on the top 3 lines, Im pretty sure they already know what they have in their hands in Hudon...

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I didn't say Agostino was not garbage, just better than Hudon!

He's not. Hudon did more last year than Agostino has his entire career.

And as for your above post. I'd rather lose playing young players with potential than lose anyways and watch a valuable young player thrive else where while Agostino bounces to his next AHL franchise.

Reactions: dralaf

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He's not. Hudon did more last year than Agostino has his entire career.

And as for your above post. I'd rather lose playing young players with potential than lose anyways and watch a valuable young player thrive else where while Agostino bounces to his next AHL franchise.
I think you're replying to someone else.

For my part, I agree with playing young guys with potential. I support the use of Kotkaniemi, giving Mete top-4 minutes for now, playing Kulak and Reilly over Schlemko and Alzner, dumping Plekanec. I support Domi playing and learning at C.

I just don't think Hudon has enough speed or size to make a mark, even if given ice time. He's not competing with Agostino, he was competing with Lehkonen and Byron, and he lost.

In fact, last year he competed with Daniel Carr, and was given the nod over Carr at the end of season, perhaps a bit unfairly. Carr had similar numbers per minute offensively, and is much better defensively. But the knock on Carr is the same as the knock on Hudon: not fast enough to be a confirmed regular.

Personally, I think Charles benefitted from more opportunity and a more favourable evaluation than Carr and can't complain about how the organization treated him through this past summer.

He started to blow it at camp.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Being wrong about a prospect = mishandled.

Being wrong about development decisions made by team = prospect never had it = team has drafted well since Bergevin took over, it's all because of 2008-2011 our prospect pool was weak until recently.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He can play NHL next year but we would have to do transfer payment to the KHL (like Soccer) to get him play for the Habs. Its' very likely the KHL team extends him and forces the Habs hand at paying them even more so he can be released to us. Might be next year, more likely the year after. It's part of the game and the KHL wants to recoup money.

Look at it from Romanov's situation...
- He will play KHL cause he can make more money vs AHL.
- He will sign an extension with the KHL if he has to so he can avoid the AHL.
- He wants the fasted route to burn the ELC so he can start making NHL money. So he will play KHL until he is NHL ready. In this case, he makes the most money he can before he starts his ELC in the NHL.

This approach works for his KHL team and for Romanov.

1. Per the NHL’s own policies, the NHL can only buyout contracts for leagues they have a transfer agreement with, and only for a set price.
The KHL is not one of these leagues. As such, if the Habs were found out to have provided money to CSKA or Romanov, they would be in deep shit from the NHL.

2. In KHL, individual players can buy out their own contracts but it can only be for the last year of the contract and player must give 18 months notice.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The kid is 18...another year next season in the KHL is a good thing. He will only get better.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You're right.

You didn’t want McCarron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad