Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Nobody can say anything for sure at this stage. You disagree about the hype and I disagree about your 30 pts ceiling. We just don't know how good he will be. What I would like to see from you to support your narrative is to find a similar example of a 18 year old who made the KHL and played very very well in the world juniors.... and then became the 30 pts ceiling guy you are trying to say he is?

Show me an example and I might change my mind. For now, it's all hope and hype and there are reasons for it. Nobody is saying anything for sure

oh I'll easily lay down and die on this one. I can't give you any examples. I'm not super invested in my position. I mean I think he can flirt with 40. Maybe I should've been clearer there. That's utterly fantastic from my view point. The hype I'm disagreeing with is really just a matter of degrees.

I don't think I'm saying anything crazy here and trust me I'm as hopeful and as optimistic as anyone. Plus it's not like I wasn't charitable in my original post but if people are thinking he's going to be a #1 or expecting 40+ points perennially in his prime you MAY be disappointed.

Who are the D men who've done what Romanov have done? I'm not being confrontational I'm genuinely curious. I'd like to see how he stacks up. The accomplishments definitely could definitely serve as evidence for high upside in and of themselves but when I actually look at his game I really don't see high end offense. Great stretch passes, booming shot. Not horribly creative in the O zone. Maybe that can still come. Better mitts and puck skills than I thought before the WJCs but still nothing that strikes me as elite offense.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
he played at the U-18's so not a nobody but even Russian posters were surprised he went that high. We'll just have to wait and see what he turns into, there have been plenty of players that had a big showing at the WJC's and never did anything in the NHL so for now we just don't know what he'll be, at least I don't.

I'll continue to watch him but so far I'm not going to consider him our best prospect but after the big 3 of Brook, Suzuki, Poehling I think he's now moved into the next level with Ylonen, Fleury, Primeau, Harris.

What there is to like, you have an 18 year old in the KHL on a top team and he's not only made the team but now he's solidified himself as a consistent part of the blueline. He makes some mistakes but really plays a much safer game then I would have expected.

He's got the skating, speed, mobility you want for today's NHL. His upright stance makes him look a little taller, and his impressive lower body strength will bode well for him in the NHL. He's physical but for me that part is overblown by Hab fans, to me he's no Emelin or Kronwall although his physical game may develop into that as perhaps he's taking more caution in the KHL till he gets more comfortable. He can dish big hits but I'd say someone like Fleury in our system has a better physical game.

He's got a good shot but I'm not sure how good it is as in the KHL he doesn't get a lot of shots. He seems more offensive minded but I've heard his KHL coach doesn't want him to take chances.

For me the question is more about how much of an offensive game he'll have.

Wow you got Harris that high? That's exciting. Was it Stu Cowan who was pretty high on him at camp as well? D future looking good. Especially if Brook can hit his ceiling which I have as fairly high. Haven't seen a lot of him though so my opinion doesn't mean much.

Yeah if he can still be stronger (which is very possible) he could possibly be close to those 2 but he is heller strong for his size. I'm definitely a fan.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
oh I'll easily lay down and die on this one. I can't give you any examples. I'm not super invested in my position. I mean I think he can flirt with 40. Maybe I should've been clearer there. That's utterly fantastic from my view point. The hype I'm disagreeing with is really just a matter of degrees.

I don't think I'm saying anything crazy here and trust me I'm as hopeful and as optimistic as anyone. Plus it's not like I wasn't charitable in my original post but if people are thinking he's going to be a #1 or expecting 40+ points perennially in his prime you MAY be disappointed.

Who are the D men who've done what Romanov have done? I'm not being confrontational I'm genuinely curious. I'd like to see how he stacks up. The accomplishments definitely could definitely serve as evidence for high upside in and of themselves but when I actually look at his game I really don't see high end offense. Great stretch passes, booming shot. Not horribly creative in the O zone. Maybe that can still come. Better mitts and puck skills than I thought before the WJCs but still nothing that strikes me as elite offense.

There's Voynov who put up 4 pts in 36 games in the KHL at 17. He was in the AHL the next year so can't compare. Orlov who put up 7 pts in 41 games in the KHL at 18. He had 12 pts at 19 but then went to the AHL later in the year. Emelin had 12 pts at 19. Couldn't think of any others off the top of my head that recently were 18 or so in the KHL.

Wow you got Harris that high? That's exciting. Was it Stu Cowan who was pretty high on him at camp as well? D future looking good. Especially if Brook can hit his ceiling which I have as fairly high. Haven't seen a lot of him though so my opinion doesn't mean much.

Yeah if he can still be stronger (which is very possible) he could possibly be close to those 2 but he is heller strong for his size. I'm definitely a fan.

Harris is likely a top 10 prospect for us at least to me when I go to do my year end ranking. What he's doing is impressive and he's very much in the Mete mold.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
There's Voynov who put up 4 pts in 36 games in the KHL at 17. He was in the AHL the next year so can't compare. Orlov who put up 7 pts in 41 games in the KHL at 18. He had 12 pts at 19 but then went to the AHL later in the year. Emelin had 12 pts at 19. Couldn't think of any others off the top of my head that recently were 18 or so in the KHL.

Harris is likely a top 10 prospect for us at least to me when I go to do my year end ranking. What he's doing is impressive and he's very much in the Mete mold.
I think an Orlov type is something Romanov can turn into.

Agreed, Harris is also rocketing up my rankings. Really liked what I've seen from him lately. Brook for me is our best defense prospect then Juulsen (if you still count him as a spec) then Romanov, Fleury and Harris/Tyszka.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Is there some kind of buzz around Romanov in Russia, something big enough to change Nikitin's mind, giving more ice-time and the way he's using him?

CSKA prefers Dmen to prevent goals. They're under 2 goals against /game as a team and the regular season only has a handful of games remaining. It's no accident their top Dman has 17 points after 56 games.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Looks like they wanted to ease Romanov back into the lineup, played on 6 minutes today, turned the game on as I wasn't sure he would even dress but didn't see too much of the game and just turned it off since he wasn't playing much.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wow. I've been steadily preaching caution with Romanov but I was totally fine with him not producing in the KHL. He has a nice steady stream of points lately. That bodes pretty well for his future.

Reactions: dralaf

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
His tools standout less, but he’s further along than Sergachev was at the same age, no doubt about it. Really think he could hang in the NHL already...

I don’t think Sergachev has the toolbox of Romanov. He’s more talented and bigger, but I question how fast he thinks the game. I don’t question that with Romanov. Obviously he needs to work on his game, but decision-making isn’t a weakness.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I don’t think Sergachev has the toolbox of Romanov. He’s more talented and bigger, but I question how fast he thinks the game. I don’t question that with Romanov. Obviously he needs to work on his game, but decision-making isn’t a weakness.

I agree. Sergachev has more talent, but lower IQ. Romanov has less natural talent, but a higher IQ

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

A lot of potential in Romanov.

Will be a long year and a half until training camp 2020 when we should finally get to see him in a Habs jersey.

Will he be at development camp this summer?

Reactions: cphabs

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
His tools standout less, but he’s further along than Sergachev was at the same age, no doubt about it. Really think he could hang in the NHL already...
Not really. Both are great skaters with sergs the better natural talent and size and offensive game but Romanov better IQ and defensive game

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Sergachev has more offensive tools. Sergachev's shot is like top 10 by a defenseman in the NHL.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The kid, at 18, tore up the best the world had to offer at the WJC, while playing conservative game/coaching. We have something extremely special here IMO. He also plays in the KHL.. Oh, he seems to have boat loads of moxie, charisma, drive and IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->