Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
guys is romanov wjc elligible next year? I would think so.. but not sure. that will be something to see. the guy is a keeper. cant wait to see if still has untapped potential.

In order to play in the WJC's, you have to be under 20 by Jan 1st. So if you turn 20 on Jan 1st, you can play in the WJC's, if you turn 20 on Dec 31st, you can not play at the WJC's.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
When this guy was picked people were scratching their heads because he was a nobody. How is it that MB knew he might be good? Does anyone find this situation to be a bit odd? I'm not complaining but it's just weird we took a flyer on a nobody and now hes a superstar.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
When this guy was picked people were scratching their heads because he was a nobody. How is it that MB knew he might be good? Does anyone find this situation to be a bit odd? I'm not complaining but it's just weird we took a flyer on a nobody and now hes a superstar.

We didn't take a flyer on someone we knew nothing about. Our scouting department held something similar to a scouting combine and skill exhibition over in Europe, inviting prospects they were intrigued about but were less well-known, prospects who played for leagues that receive less coverage like Romanov.

After the little combine we held in Europe, our scouting staff noticed Romanov, saw his potential, and simply drafted him in the second round because they thought he was gonna be a really good player, which he will.

Suffice to say it was money extremely well-spent by our owner and props should be given to him for agreeing with it and to our scouting staff for their foresight and insight.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
First off Marc bergevin has nothing to do with prospect scouting, he’ll only agree on the final decision because he obviously has too. Second, the post above me explains it pretty well. It was indeed frustrating to draft a player this early when theres no footage available from him! Turned out realy good even if i wanted akil thomas pretty bad!

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm a fan and I never preach caution but I still think some are overrating him.

I think top pairing and 30 ish points is the ceiling. Now to me that would be flipping fantastic.

I don't know if I see a #1 there or anything more than 40 pts consistently. Still a future Weber partner (I'm a Mete fan and I don't honestly know who will be better) who can move the puck well with not a lot of razzle dazzle but can get the job done would be amazing.

I personally don't see the puck skills and/or creativity to be a #1. I guess he could be a Weber like #1. He's got a big shot and is strong as hell so I guess there's an outside chance at that but I'd be floored if he could even get 10+ goals a year let along 15-20.

I'm the last one to launch a hate parade on any of our prospects but I think some are getting a little a head of themselves. Still doesn't change that we have a really really good prospect on our hands. And from what I saw at the WJCs he seemed equally good on both sides (I'm no D man expert so correct me if I'm wrong) which is amazing for us.

The production now is gravy to me. He could've gone pointless in the KHL and I'd still be pretty high on him. If he can close out the year strong production wise than I may have to revisit my stance on him. I'm open minded but I don't know why many are so certain he's like a Markov/Subban replacement.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think top pairing and 30 ish points is the ceiling. Now to me that would be flipping fantastic.

I don't know if I see a #1 there or anything more than 40 pts consistently. Still a future Weber partner (I'm a Mete fan and I don't honestly know who will be better) who can move the puck well with not a lot of razzle dazzle but can get the job done would be amazing.

I personally don't see the puck skills and/or creativity to be a #1. I guess he could be a Weber like #1. He's got a big shot and is strong as hell so I guess there's an outside chance at that but I'd be floored if he could even get 10+ goals a year let along 15-20.

I'm the last one to launch a hate parade on any of our prospects but I think some are getting a little a head of themselves. Still doesn't change that we have a really really good prospect on our hands. And from what I saw at the WJCs he seemed equally good on both sides (I'm no D man expert so correct me if I'm wrong) which is amazing for us.

The production now is gravy to me. He could've gone pointless in the KHL and I'd still be pretty high on him. If he can close out the year strong production wise than I may have to revisit my stance on him. I'm open minded but I don't know why many are so certain he's like a Markov/Subban replacement.

Nobody can say anything for sure at this stage. You disagree about the hype and I disagree about your 30 pts ceiling. We just don't know how good he will be. What I would like to see from you to support your narrative is to find a similar example of a 18 year old who made the KHL and played very very well in the world juniors.... and then became the 30 pts ceiling guy you are trying to say he is?

Show me an example and I might change my mind. For now, it's all hope and hype and there are reasons for it. Nobody is saying anything for sure

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Nobody can say anything for sure at this stage. You disagree about the hype and I disagree about your 30 pts ceiling. We just don't know how good he will be. What I would like to see from you to support your narrative is to find a similar example of a 18 year old who made the KHL and played very very well in the world juniors.... and then became the 30 pts ceiling guy you are trying to say he is?

Show me an example and I might change my mind. For now, it's all hope and hype and there are reasons for it. Nobody is saying anything for sure

Just pinching in here, but is there any other examples of a 18-y.o who played in the KHL and world juniors?

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just pinching in here, but is there any other examples of a 18-y.o who played in the KHL and world juniors?

You caught on quick ;).

giphy.gif

To be honest, I am not sure and something tells me there are little to no examples. So Romanov is in unchartered territory so he deserves the hype don't you think? What do you think is his weakness? Be picky?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he played at the U-18's so not a nobody but even Russian posters were surprised he went that high. We'll just have to wait and see what he turns into, there have been plenty of players that had a big showing at the WJC's and never did anything in the NHL so for now we just don't know what he'll be, at least I don't.

I'll continue to watch him but so far I'm not going to consider him our best prospect but after the big 3 of Brook, Suzuki, Poehling I think he's now moved into the next level with Ylonen, Fleury, Primeau, Harris.

What there is to like, you have an 18 year old in the KHL on a top team and he's not only made the team but now he's solidified himself as a consistent part of the blueline. He makes some mistakes but really plays a much safer game then I would have expected.

He's got the skating, speed, mobility you want for today's NHL. His upright stance makes him look a little taller, and his impressive lower body strength will bode well for him in the NHL. He's physical but for me that part is overblown by Hab fans, to me he's no Emelin or Kronwall although his physical game may develop into that as perhaps he's taking more caution in the KHL till he gets more comfortable. He can dish big hits but I'd say someone like Fleury in our system has a better physical game.

He's got a good shot but I'm not sure how good it is as in the KHL he doesn't get a lot of shots. He seems more offensive minded but I've heard his KHL coach doesn't want him to take chances.

For me the question is more about how much of an offensive game he'll have.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
he played at the U-18's so not a nobody but even Russian posters were surprised he went that high. We'll just have to wait and see what he turns into, there have been plenty of players that had a big showing at the WJC's and never did anything in the NHL so for now we just don't know what he'll be, at least I don't
Romanov will be be what we want him to be or style of play. He is extremely disciplined and a team player. He plays in the KHL as a regular and does exactly what his coach/team wants... as an 18/19 year old. Which is a very tight and conservative game IMO. WJC? That coach took the bridal off, just a bit, and he destroyed offensively against the best players in the world within +2 of his age... He also played outstanding D in the tournament. Also, the kid has charisma and knows how to work hard. I’m not sure why there is not more “hype” to be honest.

On a side note, I’d get him over here as soon as possible. Even a KHL contract buy out. Just my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad