Speculation: Alexander Radulov Thread | Successfully Swam The Atlantic | Where Will He Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Radulov is a very good player, but lets wait and see how he translates into our team (if he signs here in the 1st place), he may very well be the best player on the team, he could also just end up a good addition to our top 6 and not a superstar, which is great as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If rads is just a good addition to our top 6 I will be very disappointed and have to question why we've failed to make proper use of his talent...assuming it isn't just a matter of needing the first few months to settle in before playing up to his abilities for us.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Radulov is a very good player, but lets wait and see how he translates into our team (if he signs here in the 1st place), he may very well be the best player on the team, he could also just end up a good addition to our top 6 and not a superstar, which is great as well.

If Rads joins our team he will be a PPG player no doubt in my mind. Hes that good. Our Top 9 would also be something awesome if he was on the team. Comrade Roy is about the only guy I would trust to handle the Russians. Hope it happens.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
If rads is just a good addition to our top 6 I will be very disappointed and have to question why we've failed to make proper use of his talent...assuming it isn't just a matter of needing the first few months to settle in before playing up to his abilities for us.

Same. If Radulov is anything but #1 on this team if he joined today... I'd probably first blame the change in environment but I'd be fairly disappointed if he's anything but #1 on this team among offense first players.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Same. If Radulov is anything but #1 on this team if he joined today... I'd probably first blame the change in environment but I'd be fairly disappointed if he's anything but #1 on this team among offense first players.

I can see him needing some time to settle in with us, new team/new team-mates/new league/new country/Roy-reunion; but with his talent, experience, and where he is in his career; he really should be our best skater on the ice once he's acclimated. He's just that good.

PS am the only who's had Within Temptations stuck in their head all day now? Angels and Ice Queen have been on repeat for the past hour, if only for nostalgia.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I guess I'm going to have to watch more recent Radulov games, because I just don't see it. I watched the Olympics pretty closely, and while I think he is very talented, the dominance being projected on here when/if he comes back I find hard to accept.

Honest admission though, I have only viewed a very limited number of KHL games (or parts of games) over the last couple years, but I felt like there was a significant difference in the style and especially caliber of play from top to bottom.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I guess I'm going to have to watch more recent Radulov games, because I just don't see it. I watched the Olympics pretty closely, and while I think he is very talented, the dominance being projected on here when/if he comes back I find hard to accept.

Honest admission though, I have only viewed a very limited number of KHL games (or parts of games) over the last couple years, but I felt like there was a significant difference in the style and especially caliber of play from top to bottom.

Surprised you could say that and then mention how you watched the olympics. He was easily Russia's best player.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Lol he was the best Russian player homie.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Surprised you could say that and then mention how you watched the olympics. He was easily Russia's best player.

Lol he was the best Russian player homie.

Not arguing that he wasn't good, just that I didn't see anything that made it clear to me he would easily succeed in the NHL to the level seemingly being predicted here. I think he looked like he would be a good top line player, but nothing said he'd necessarily be easily the Avs best player.

Just my impression from watching him play. Like I said, very limited viewings recently.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not arguing that he wasn't good, just that I didn't see anything that made it clear to me he would easily succeed in the NHL to the level seemingly being predicted here. I think he looked like he would be a good top line player, but nothing said he'd necessarily be easily the Avs best player.

Just my impression from watching him play. Like I said, very limited viewings recently.

I get what your're saying but the fact that Radulov was better than other star NHL players (Ovie, Malkin, Datsyuk) should prove that he's pretty good.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I get what your're saying but the fact that Radulov was better than other star NHL players (Ovie, Malkin, Datsyuk) should prove that he's pretty good.

True, I wasn't really looking at Radulov as a possible Av at the time either, so my attention wasn't really solely focused with that in mind.

While I don't really have much concern either way if he joins, at least it is so far away that I'll have plenty of time to do some more internet scouting.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I get the feeling that there might be come confusion. When people say that Rads would be our best scorer, I do not think they are saying he would step in and be Mario level dominant. They seem to be saying that he would be somewhat better than MacK until he fully develops. And a bit better than Duchene, who we all love, but has yet to beat PPG. And better than great but old Iggy and Tangs. And better than our better (+looking) version of Ladd...offensively at least.

Radulov would lead the team in scoring, and would hopefully give Duchene the winger he has been dreaming of since losing Drouin (though I feel sticking with Tangs/Duchene/Iggy long enough to really gel would work very well).

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
I get the feeling that there might be come confusion. When people say that Rads would be our best scorer, I do not think they are saying he would step in and be Mario level dominant. They seem to be saying that he would be somewhat better than MacK until he fully develops. And a bit better than Duchene, who we all love, but has yet to beat PPG. And better than great but old Iggy and Tangs. And better than our better (+looking) version of Ladd...offensively at least.

Radulov would lead the team in scoring, and would hopefully give Duchene the winger he has been dreaming of since losing Drouin (though I feel sticking with Tangs/Duchene/Iggy long enough to really gel would work very well).

In Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog we have three forwards who have the potential to hit 70+ points if the whole offense will be able to rebound next year.
What makes people so sure that Radulov beats all of them if he comes back?
I mean, I'd love to add him for free (in terms of assets) and I'm also quite sure he would do fine under Roy but it's not like there's no competition for the best scorer on this team - even with Radulov included.
MacKinnon could very well be a PPG player by the time Radulov arrives.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Listen, I like Radulov as a player, I think he's a good player and he's no doubt dominated the KHL especially scoring-wise. However, he's not coming here and being a PPG player. That's just not happening. There were only 8 PPG players last season:

Kane (61 in 64)
Datsyuk (65 in 63)
Malkin (70 in 69)
Seguin (77 in 71)
Ovechkin (81 in 81)
Crosby (84 in 77)
Tavares (86 in 82)
Benn (87 in 82)

Could Radulov be better than some of these players? Maybe. But he's a 29 year old who has a grand total 154 career NHL games under his belt and was good, but not great. Would he be nice to have? Of course. He'd be a "free" asset and if he didn't cost a ton, I'd take him in a heart beat because he improves our team no doubt. But would he instantly be better than Landeskog and Duchene, and even MacKinnon? Debatable but I have my reservations about him being better than Landeskog or Duchene, and if MacK takes off this season throw his name in there too.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Lot of question marks about this guy to me. Lots of skill, but that is not only what wins you championships. Why Chicago has been so successful is that everyone on the team buys in to the team concept and realizes what their role is. Is this something Radulov is capable of?

Is he just the Terrell Owens of the hockey world? Lots of skill but in all reality just a pain in the ass.

I don't know if I take the risk.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
For me really depends on how much and the opportunity cost. Are we going to have to give something up to get him in the fold? Will he work within the structure?

Right, from all I have read it seems like we would be able to. It might be attractive to him to come back over here, too, because of how devalued the ruble is.

I guess I would have to place the faith in Roy that he would be able to get him focused on actually winning instead of being the head of the New Vegas committee, so to speak.

If anyone seems to be able to motivate these dudes with character issues, Roy seems to be the guy.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Listen, I like Radulov as a player, I think he's a good player and he's no doubt dominated the KHL especially scoring-wise. However, he's not coming here and being a PPG player. That's just not happening. There were only 8 PPG players last season:

Kane (61 in 64)
Datsyuk (65 in 63)
Malkin (70 in 69)
Seguin (77 in 71)
Ovechkin (81 in 81)
Crosby (84 in 77)
Tavares (86 in 82)
Benn (87 in 82)

Could Radulov be better than some of these players? Maybe. But he's a 29 year old who has a grand total 154 career NHL games under his belt and was good, but not great. Would he be nice to have? Of course. He'd be a "free" asset and if he didn't cost a ton, I'd take him in a heart beat because he improves our team no doubt. But would he instantly be better than Landeskog and Duchene, and even MacKinnon? Debatable but I have my reservations about him being better than Landeskog or Duchene, and if MacK takes off this season throw his name in there too.

It's too small a sample size, but his production per 60 was epic, and he's a much better player now. He's a truly elite forward, and with how well he & Duchene would fit together Rads absolutely could walk in and be a PPG guy. Him winning an art ross would take a dream season, but him finishing in the top 10 shouldn't surprise anyone, which would be ~PPG if scoring doesn't go up.

And yes he really would be better than Landy, MacK and Dutchy. If Dutchy bounces back to last season's pre-olympic levels and keeps upping his two-way game it'll be close, and if MacK breaks out fully he would be better than Rads, but as things stand Rads would be our best forward. We'll see what happens over the next year, but odds are he'd be our best forward then as well.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't think Rads would have to be the Avs best player. You look at a supremely talented player in Gaborik and he doesn't have to be the Kings best player. He's just a game breaker when the games tight and his skill takes over on a shift or two and makes the difference.

In order for Rads to be the Avs best player he has to develop a more even keeled tempermant where he can play well and put up a point per game over the course of an 82 game season and follow that up with a dominant performance in a deep playoff run. That's not a small feat, it takes a certain mentality that few players have.

Nate and possibly Duchene (if he works through his own mental hurdles) are guys that could possibly do that, leaving Rads to be a secondary game breaker.

If Rads is gonna throw tantrums on the ice, or scream at officials every game, or scream at everything from the bench, or bang his stick on the glass in frustration all the time like we've seen from him in the KHL, he's just gonna derail his season one way or another in the NHL. The grind of the NHL in the smaller rink over 82 games and the playoffs is a whole different animal to what he's had to battle through to be the best player in the KHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think Rads would have to be the Avs best player. You look at a supremely talented player in Gaborik and he doesn't have to be the Kings best player. He's just a game breaker when the games tight and his skill takes over on a shift or two and makes the difference.

In order for Rads to be the Avs best player he has to develop a more even keeled tempermant where he can play well and put up a point per game over the course of an 82 game season and follow that up with a dominant performance in a deep playoff run. That's not a small feat, it takes a certain mentality that few players have.

Nate and possibly Duchene (if he works through his own mental hurdles) are guys that could possibly do that, leaving Rads to be a secondary game breaker.

If Rads is gonna throw tantrums on the ice, or scream at officials every game, or scream at everything from the bench, or bang his stick on the glass in frustration all the time like we've seen from him in the KHL, he's just gonna derail his season one way or another in the NHL. The grind of the NHL in the smaller rink over 82 games and the playoffs is a whole different animal to what he's had to battle through to be the best player in the KHL.

Well that's just extreme hyperbole and does not describe the player Radulov has been these past handful of years. (I started watching certain match ups when Kovy went back) He's extremely passionate and does still have out burst, that he's getting better and better about, but it's no what you are describing.

And Rads wouldn't need to be our best skater, but unless MacK has that Stamkos-esque explosion this year, Rads probably will be. That's the kind of talent he has and how good he's been. He's hungry, more focused then ever, more effective and consistent, and his two-way game has improved as well. He'll still end up with penalties you really wish he hadn't took, but he's gotten a lot better about limiting them and not taking them at killer moments.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
People act like Rads does this every game...nobody here watches the KHL(with the exception of Ivan)

During his short stints in the NHL his on ice behavior has been fine...hell his off ice behavior hasn't even been that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad