Speculation: Alexander Radulov Thread | Successfully Swam The Atlantic | Where Will He Sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Didnt Duchene throw some shade on rads not long ago when asked about the russians leaving the anthems?

No, Duchene made reference to Radulov celebrating (from a previous tournament when the Russians had won) and called out the ones who left the ice from this year's World Championships (Radulov was not on that team). So it was more of an example "you can't celebrate like that when you win and then bail out when you lose" type of comment but definitely not aimed at Radulov but more at the ones who left the ice.

Too true, its funny how much the Avs will be painted as villains if we sign Rads. Roy is still considered an arch-villain around the league somehow. Just like how O'Reilly was a locker room cancer no fans would want (until the trade and now he's Toews), and Varly is a criminal. We'll just have to embrace it.

We might as well just become villains since we don't get any respect from the rest of the league. That's what happened to the Honky Tonk Man then he just went out and started smashing heads with guitars!!

the-honky-tonk-man.jpg

Lemieux22

Jul 30, 2005
Radulov with Mackinnon and Landeskog or Grigorenko and Raantanen both sound very enticing.

Can't imagine his style meshing with Duchene, although to be fair Duchene seems to have trouble meshing with tons of players (honestly who has fit in with him well? PAP, Flesichmann, McGinn are the only players who I can remember not looking worse with Duchene than without.)

If our players develop properly 2016 could be a real contending roster with:

Landeskog Mackinnon Radulov
Grigorenko Duchene Raantanen
Comeau Soderberg Iginla
McLeod Mitchell Everberg

Beauchemin Johnson
Zadorov Barrie
Bigras Stuart/Holden/Redmond/Siemens

Our top 3 has tons of scoring and shelters defensive liabilities with better defensive players (assuming Raantanen is a top 6 ready, defensively responsible forward by next year)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He absolutely was and has hands down been the best player outside of the NHL all these years too.

He absolutely was not. Has he changed his game? Most likely. I'll give posters here who watch him the benefit of the doubt when they say that he's the best player in the KHL and would be very good here. But he was not one of the best players in the league when he played in the NHL, whether it was in his first stint of two seasons or his second stint of 9 games. He was a good player, but not close to being amongst the best.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I would take a chance at Radulov. All that hitting the coach in KHL, or not behaving himself, partying or whatever he did in Nashville is irrelevant because Radulov obviously is a hothead and he seems like a kind of a guy that if he's not happy somewhere or with someone he'll let his emotions show and do crazy stuff.

But this guy played for Roy and never hit him or did any crazy things under Roy(from what i know) and i doubt he will do anything stupid under guys like Roy and Sakic since he really likes and respects Roy.

He will have fellow russian buddies on the team like Varly, Zadorov, Grigorenko which should help him to fit in with the team.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
He absolutely was not. Has he changed his game? Most likely. I'll give posters here who watch him the benefit of the doubt when they say that he's the best player in the KHL and would be very good here. But he was not one of the best players in the league when he played in the NHL, whether it was in his first stint of two seasons or his second stint of 9 games. He was a good player, but not close to being amongst the best.

His overall game, maybe not, but if you put up points in a one-of-the-best-in-league-pace the way he did both in 07/08 and 11/12. I think you are. Pretty much like Duchene in that matter.

He has on occasions outshined some of the best russians in the world like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk and Malkin whilst playing for Russia in tournaments.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
His overall game, maybe not, but if you put up points in a one-of-the-best-in-league-pace the way he did both in 07/08 and 11/12. I think you are. Pretty much like Duchene in that matter.

He has on occasions outshined some of the best russians in the world like Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk and Malkin whilst playing for Russia in tournaments.

11-12 was 9 games though, it's not fair to use that.

He was good in 07-08 but was 67th in the league in scoring.

As I said, he may have changed his game around over the years to become a much better player but while he was actually in the NHL, he wasn't close to being amongst the best players in the world.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The main reason i would take Radulov is when Tanguay and Iginla are done in few years, Avs gonna need at least one top 6 forward assuming and hoping Rantanen will take one of the spots.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
11-12 was 9 games though, it's not fair to use that.

He was good in 07-08 but was 67th in the league in scoring.

As I said, he may have changed his game around over the years to become a much better player but while he was actually in the NHL, he wasn't close to being amongst the best players in the world.
He didn't get much icetime. He was 4th in Points/60 5vs5.

49 points in 1022 minutes.

And yes, I agree that 11/12 isn't enough sample size, but of the 483 forwards that played more than 100 min that season. He still finished with the 32nd highest Points/60 5vs5.

And that's all in Trotz system.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=200715&sit=5v5&type=individual&teamid=0&pos=forwards&minutes=1000&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They're good numbers, no doubt. But I still don't believe he was one of the best players in the NHL. He very well could be today, that I'm not arguing, but when he was actually here for 2 years and 9 games, I'm of the opinion that he was a good player, but not amongst the best.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He absolutely was and has hands down been the best player outside of the NHL all these years too.

Just let them keep their beliefs. Facts won't stop people from hating Radulov for not letting the NHL enjoy most of his prime. It's not logical so you can't beat that kind of hate with logic. Sure it's obvious to us who've watched him that he's been in the Ovi, Malkin, Datsyuk, Kovalchuk class of Russian elite talent. But until they see it they won't believe it.

And even once they do, some people will still repeat myths about him being one dimensional (even though he might have the most diverse offensive game on the planet and a good two-way side to his play); they'll still say he's soft ( even though that's just too funny); and that he's the kind of ***** who's team-mates hate him (which is just...lol).

And that's fine. Winning is more fun when everyone hates your team...though I may just feel this way because the German NT is what got me into team sports; and this is the first generation we've had that hasn't been absolutely loathed while it won its trophy...

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
People saying Radulov didn't put up big numbers in Nashville are forgetting that the best forward Nashville had playing with Radulov back then was Legwand and he was playing on a defensive minded team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Radulov is such a head case, he's throwing those fits on the ice, crying, hitting his coach, and hitting his stick against the glass towards a woman official as a fully grown adult, not a kid.

I've never really wanted him on the Avs because I just don't see how it could work, but he has such amazing talent in a big body with outstanding athleticism it's very tempting to imagine how crazy deep this team would be with him on it in 2016/17. Especially if they shifted Nate back to center and just loaded up the lines.

Rantanen - Duchene - Iginla
Landy - MacKinnon - Radulov
Soderberg - Grigorenko - Bleackley
Everberg - Mitchell - Comeau

That's just a potentially dominating 4 lines.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Not counting the signing/resigning of Barrie, EJ, Mack, Rantanen, Tanguay, Everberg, and a few other smaller pieces we have around $44M locked up. Do you think we'll have enough? Do you think Radulov would take a discount his first season and then when Iginla is off the books his second ear we can overpay him then?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ilya Kovalchuk is the best player not in the NHL.

That video of him hitting his coach tells me all I need to know.

...except he hasn't been. Ilya was awesome when he left the NHL, but he has not been on Radulov's level in Russia.

And; just cause this one always makes me laugh; what pray tell did that video tell you about Radulov?

A swedish player told a story about Radulov, can't remember who it was. Apparently he bumped into Rads on the airport in Russia and Radulov recognized him:

R: Welcome to the BHL

BHL?

R: Hahaha BEER HOCKEY LEAGUE *And walks away*

:laugh: lol Rads. For such an ugly man, he's adorable.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
A swedish player told a story about Radulov, can't remember who it was. Apparently he bumped into Rads on the airport in Russia and Radulov recognized him:

R: Welcome to the BHL

BHL?

R: Hahaha BEER HOCKEY LEAGUE *And walks away*

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
...except he hasn't been. Ilya was awesome when he left the NHL, but he has not been on Radulov's level in Russia.

And; just cause this one always makes me laugh; what pray tell did that video tell you about Radulov?

Since you're obviously baiting here I'll just say you already know the answer.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I think the biggest question is whether or not the Avs would be able to fit him under the cap. They'll have roughly $24.5 million to work with to sign MacKinnon, EJ, Barrie and Rads and that's only under the assumption they let go of everyone whose contract is up after next season (including Tanguay). Let's say MacKinnon has an incredible bounceback season and demands ~$7mill...EJ will probably cost between $5-6...and who the hell knows what Barrie is going to demand if he has an even better season than the last, but let's say it's slightly less than EJ's. Factoring that in and assuming the cap raises another ~$2mill the Avs will have ~$9mill to sign Rads and fill in roster holes. Maybe a little less depending on what Grigorenko signs for this summer.

It could definitely work in an ideal scenario, but the Avs would be cutting it close depending on what Rads would require to move back to the States.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino